Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

PleasingFungus posted:

For those who might be interested, there's a new god being tested on cbro: Ukayaw, God of Ecstatic Dance.

Linesprint ukayaw sounds like heck of fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Even when Acquirement doesn't suck, it still sucks.

One armor acquirement yields +0 crystal plate, then I head off into the Vaults. Ran into Wiglaf on V:1. What was wiglaf wearing? +0 crystal plate.

Anyways, I half expected you had to match falling arrows once you mentioned Ukayaw... but nope! Something I might be capable of playing, completely lacking rhythm as I am.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
FR: Ukayaw puts you into bullet time when a monster shoots an arrow at you. :v:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just ran across Nikola for the first time ever.

wiki posted:

Be mindful of electricity's ability to hit you more than once. Avoid straying into water or too close to rock or stone walls. If you encounter Nikola in the Swamp or a similar aqueous environment, consider avoiding that level.

Well, that explains a LOT:

code:
Began as a Merfolk Gladiator on Jan 30, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Killed from afar by Nikola (27 damage)
             ... with a chain lightning
             ... on level 2 of the Shoals on Feb 1, 2016.
horns.aiff

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How's Pakellas wrath? He's run his course as a glorified acquirement engine and I'm not really getting any use out of the supercharge ability.

e: I also feel like Vault Wardens are probably bugged; I went through the entirety of vaults without any of them ever locking the doors.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 1, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Smirr posted:

I just ran across Nikola for the first time ever.

[wiki advice]
Well, that explains a LOT:

It's certainly good for normal races to stay out of water when fighting any enemy, but you were a merfolk. I don't think there's any special reason to include that advice for Nikola - there used to be a special effect for elec melee in water but that was years ago and Nikola's danger is mostly from Chain Lightning which cares not for water or walls.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

cheetah7071 posted:

How's Pakellas wrath? He's run his course as a glorified acquirement engine and I'm not really getting any use out of the supercharge ability.

e: I also feel like Vault Wardens are probably bugged; I went through the entirety of vaults without any of them ever locking the doors.

Pakellas remains good for the entire game by granting you effectively limitless, zero-hunger, zero-failure Haste, Teleport, and Heal Wounds via infinitely sustainable recharging.

Which is why I don't know what Pak's wrath is and would be surprised if many others did :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Somehow I didn't notice that he had a recharge ability. Surprisingly, remembering his best ability makes him a lot better!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

For those who might be interested, there's a new god being tested on cbro: Ukayaw, God of Ecstatic Dance.

Sounds cool, though the telefrag ability being able to instantly kill anything seems pretty absurd. I'm guessing reaching 5 piety with him is really difficult though.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
it's the doom god cause you have to RIP and TEAR to survive

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I just got a message on crawl.s-z.org to stop making GBS threads up the mid dungeon levels with chaos knight ghosts.

You will fight my ghosts and you will like it :colbert:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

I just got a message on crawl.s-z.org to stop making GBS threads up the mid dungeon levels with chaos knight ghosts.

You will fight my ghosts and you will like it :colbert:

If you haven't beaten LogicNinja's kill count, it isn't enough ghosts. I recommend DrWz and splat early at level 7 and castable mephitic cloud (and no other spell).

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Floodkiller posted:

If you haven't beaten LogicNinja's kill count, it isn't enough ghosts. I recommend DrWz and splat early at level 7 and castable mephitic cloud (and no other spell).

That is delightfully evil.

I ran into a demonspawn conjurer ghost the other day on D:8 that had castable crystal spear :shepicide:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

rchandra posted:

It's certainly good for normal races to stay out of water when fighting any enemy, but you were a merfolk. I don't think there's any special reason to include that advice for Nikola - there used to be a special effect for elec melee in water but that was years ago and Nikola's danger is mostly from Chain Lightning which cares not for water or walls.

There's at least one good log/tv of a player autoexploring into shallow water in Spider, coming into view of Nikola, and getting chain lightning'd twice (due to slow movement in shallow water) before they got another turn, dying instantly.

The learndb's advice wouldn't really help with that, I just think it's funny.

Mystery Prize posted:

That is delightfully evil.

I ran into a demonspawn conjurer ghost the other day on D:8 that had castable crystal spear :shepicide:

Orb run ghost, perhaps?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I kept running into one dudes ghost on D4... first spell it would cast is Fulminant Prism. It would then try to engage me in melee, walking past it's own explosive prism... and then die in the explosion.

Easiest ghost XP ever.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

Orb run ghost, perhaps?

That would make sense. I was assuming it was a dude with a ton of +wizardry from rings/staff, though I don't know if those carry over into player ghosts.

Scariest ghost I think I've ever run into was a GrFi on a Pan floor that was not only faster than I was but also apparently had utterly ridiculous resistances and AC/EV. I checked the morgue for that particular character and he had 65 AC, 18 EV, rC+++, rF+++ and boots of running on.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

As I understand it, if the spell is castable at 50% success, the ghost can have the spell. Monsters don't have spell success, even player ghosts, although some (monsters, not ghosts) have useless cantrips that act a lot like harmless miscasts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The player ghost equivalent of a cantrip is blink and summon butterflies.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

kaschei posted:

As I understand it, if the spell is castable at 50% success, the ghost can have the spell. Monsters don't have spell success, even player ghosts, although some (monsters, not ghosts) have useless cantrips that act a lot like harmless miscasts.
Note that the odd a player ghost learns a particular spell is [(50-failure%)/50]^2, so spells close to 50% failure have extremely low chances of actually being added.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Mystery Prize posted:

That would make sense. I was assuming it was a dude with a ton of +wizardry from rings/staff, though I don't know if those carry over into player ghosts.

Scariest ghost I think I've ever run into was a GrFi on a Pan floor that was not only faster than I was but also apparently had utterly ridiculous resistances and AC/EV. I checked the morgue for that particular character and he had 65 AC, 18 EV, rC+++, rF+++ and boots of running on.

Not a big deal if you have found Dispel Undead somewhere. It also helps that Dispel Undead is very useful outside of killing player ghosts, so it isn't a waste to get it online.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Falls off after you've done Tomb, though. Maybe worth holding onto into Tartarus but you should have your heavy damage dealing aoe spells up and running at that point or just mashing tab kills them faster.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Floodkiller posted:

Not a big deal if you have found Dispel Undead somewhere. It also helps that Dispel Undead is very useful outside of killing player ghosts, so it isn't a waste to get it online.

I was really annoyed by death cobs starving me the other day and then felt even dumber when I realized that character could just be casting dispel undead on them :downs:

Sage Grimm posted:

Falls off after you've done Tomb, though. Maybe worth holding onto into Tartarus but you should have your heavy damage dealing aoe spells up and running at that point or just mashing tab kills them faster.

Its quite useful on hybrids at least for killing liches/ancient liches even in extended. You might be able to tab through them faster but dispel undead can be used at range. I keep it around if I have a big necromancy investment.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
In trunk I've been noticing this happening a lot more than in the stable versions. Whenever I autoexplore or enter a new floor, the chances are really good that I'll get messed up visuals. They go away if I right click on another part of the map to move the screen, but it's an annoyance. I know you'd probably think it was a graphics/memory issue with my own computer, but this only seems to happen in trunk, never in the release versions.

Same spot once I move the screen to another part of the map (via rightclicking on the minimap) and back:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Did rare-ish enemies on earlier floors go way up in a recent version? Playing .17, think my last major binge was .14, and I'm just neck deep in lesser demons and eldritch variations by D11.

E: Oh, there's just three kobold demonologists sitting in a box. Disregard.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 2, 2016

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Wand work!

Draining and Fireball have been replaced by Acid and Iceblast. Acid does -8 AC to the target, non-stacking, in addition to acid damage.
Iceblast is Fireball + Throw Icicle; it's Fireball AoE with Throw Icicle's element and partial irresistability.
Also, confuse and enslave wands won't generate quite so early, to give low-MR starts breathing room.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

ZeeToo posted:

Wand work!

Draining and Fireball have been replaced by Acid and Iceblast. Acid does -8 AC to the target, non-stacking, in addition to acid damage.
Iceblast is Fireball + Throw Icicle; it's Fireball AoE with Throw Icicle's element and partial irresistability.
Also, confuse and enslave wands won't generate quite so early, to give low-MR starts breathing room.

No lie, Acid/Iceblast sounds amazing and I'm sorry I doubted you, PF.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Neat! It's cool to have an acid wand because it's so rare that the player can actually use acid to damage things.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
And that sounds like a great way for players who haven't found a hard hitting weapon yet to be able to damage plate-wearing orcs and the like.

Does Iceblast slow cold-blooded creatures as well or no? I don't know what I'm reading in the github.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I honestly wouldn't have cared if they added replacement wands, but corrosion and Iceblast sound cool! I'm a bit disappointed that draining was cut instead of lightning, because I like being able to drain nastier enemies, but I can see the reasoning in order to change Fireball into Iceblast.

Still waiting on that Malmutate change before I totally agree with 0.18 though :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

OK those new wands sound really useful. I like this change now. Can't wait to go around iceballing everything and farting acid everywhere as a Pakellite.

Now please replace Flame and Magic Dart wands with something remotely interesting. Like a Wand of Shards that functions kinda like exploding darts/bullets/etc when zapped. I'd use that on adders and stuff all the time.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 2, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

ZeeToo posted:

Wand work!

These are cooooolllll and like someone else said, now you can go after those orc warriors or assholes that managed to slap on some insane armour without feeling like you're just tickling them for a hundred turns.

Is this the start of the long-awaited acid school spell branch???

quote:

Now please replace Flame and Magic Dart wands with something remotely interesting. Like a Wand of Shards that functions kinda like exploding darts/bullets/etc when zapped. I'd use that on adders and stuff all the time.

Yes, please!

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Sage Grimm posted:

Brief paralysis just brings to mind "STOP, HAMMER TIME" and I heartily approve.

FR: Return hammers to the game just for purposes of the "STOP, HAMMER TIME" invocation.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
The new wands definitely sound cool and unique, both corrosive bolt and ice blast should cover your bases even with the previous wands removed. Lightning still remains weak IMO, but I'll always at least use it as a ghetto scroll of noise.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Acid looks really cool, and I could easily see myself preferring it to Draining anyway. Iceblast, I'm still unsure on, will need to play with to determine how it compares to Fireball. Acid is going to be really cool for high AC targets though. I wonder if it will allow me to squeeze more life out of Magic Dart and Fulminant Prism.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Does Iceblast slow cold-blooded creatures as well or no? I don't know what I'm reading in the github.

If Iceblast slowed cold blooded things like I thought the current ice wands do, (they don't) then I'd be more than satisfied.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 3, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I normally don't bother asking for advice on my games, but I really want to win this HESk since I managed to actually get it comfortably off the ground.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/darkli/darkli.txt

What should I be doing with it?

EDIT: For reference, I want to win it because HESk has a truly horrible start and even now that I'm finally not feeling weaker than anything I fight, I still have the -1 HP apt to deal with.

EDIT 2: NM dead to a deep elf pack because of a lot of burst damage from my EV failing to work killing me because of that -1 HP apt.

I think I'm going to play something that sucks less than HE now that also is more fun. As the crawldb describes it:

high elf[1/3]: <crate_> if you play HE and dont expect it to be bad it will be strangely bad

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 3, 2016

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I know it's too late, but I'll offer some advice on why you felt so weak even on a decent character. You were playing your HESk basically like a MfSk with a sword. It's no surprise that it would be weaker since Mf is more robust and has considerably better melee aptitudes. To do well with HE hybrids, you need to take advantage of the high int and spellcasting to get a wide variety of utility spells online that would be impractical for other characters. For example, You had haste, which I assume you found in the book of enchantments, but died to deep elves that could have easily been shut down with silence. I don't know what other spells you had, but picking a direction and getting some ranged attacks and utility magic out of it would have made your character much stronger, even as it made your melee weaker. Ice magic could have gotten you metabolic englaciation, the ice defense buffs (ozo's +troll leather is far better than mottled dragon armor), refrigeration, bolt of cold, etc. Necromancy would have given you all kind of cool toys. Same with summonings. Air magic for silence and cloud spells and CBL if you found it, since you had rElec. You're practically guaranteed to find spellbooks that can give really good support to a melee character in some way, and HE is in the best position to use them while still remaining competent in melee.

That brings in the next point, how do you manage to be competent in melee and train magic at the same time? Normally, I'd recommend Ashenzari (I'm a broken record there, though), but with Okawaru, the answer is heroism. You only used Heroism twice, which means you almost might as well have been playing without a god. Leaving your melee skills much lower and relying on heroism to supplement them when needed would have meant you could get a bunch of very powerful and helpful support magic online. Using a one handed weapon and a buckler might have helped to that end, as well.

tl;dr: MfSk worships Oka, learns basic spells and then is a melee character. HESk worships Ash (or Kiku for a weird choice) and learns a bunch of magic and fights in melee after magic has made it safe to do so. If you worship Oka, use Heroism!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

My DsIE has a bunch of Wands of Removedness in his stash now. When I zap one, it just sadly informs me that it has been removed :saddowns:

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

tl;dr: MfSk worships Oka, learns basic spells and then is a melee character. HESk worships Ash (or Kiku for a weird choice) and learns a bunch of magic and fights in melee after magic has made it safe to do so. If you worship Oka, use Heroism!

I knew about Ozos armour but never found a book with it, and wild magic 1 was making spellcasting pretty difficult (especially once I switched to FDA). I've won MfSk before and never even bothered getting Haste castable on that, it's just that HE is not a very good race at all for melee (even HEBe is pretty weak by Be standards)

The thing is that HE apts aren't all that great to begin with; you're basically pigeonholed a good amount into long blades or short blades since they train twice as fast as other melee weapon skills, you only have +1 dodging for a race that's heavily inclined towards it, and your defenses at the start as a HESk are just atrocious: no fast movement with lower than average HP and 3/11 defenses is really bad for earlygame. You beat out Op and arguably Fe and Na, but that's about it.

HEIE is probably a much better start than HESk anyways since you can just pretend to be a DEIE with a little more HP but less intelligence and worse (although still good) spellcasting apts early on, and then either stay on that path or then start working on melee once you're settled in on the magic end of things.

Ash probably would have been a better choice than Oka, but the combination of heroism and weapon/armor gifts to help you survive was too good to ignore.

Alternatively, I could always just worship Trog instead. :v:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I fully agree that HE is weak early and HESk is especially bad, but it does get a lot better if you play them well. You're correct, their melee aptitudes aren't all that great and their defenses are poor until you have enough dodging to leverage your high dex and have either medium armor or ozo's. Once you do, your defenses are better than average, but your HP is still low. But that was my whole point. HE is a weak melee species, so don't be surprised if you play one as a straight melee character and they're weak. They're extremely strong in the mid game as hybrids, though, if you focus harder on the magic aspect of your character than you would for other hybrids.

As you discovered, HESk is actually really bad, in spite of what it might appear, because HE is weak early and Skald is also a very tough start. HEIE, as you mentioned, or HEWz are much better if you want to be a hybrid. IE and Wz are better hybrid starts for any species than Sk, but are doubly so for HE. HEWz^Ash is possibly my favorite overall combo just because it has so many options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

You want options, let me tell you about demigod wanderers...

• Locked thread