Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
What a loving luxury having the money and influence to bring a $700 million renewable energy project to a screeching halt because you think the wind farm will be 'annoying'.

I bet the people of Morwell found that coal mine fire to be a little annoying when their town was filled with (possibly toxic) smoke for a month, but gently caress them poors hey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Just joined the SuperLeague league. Once again my team is chock full of wastrels, garbagemen, and horrible players that will earn me no wins.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BrigadierSensible posted:

Just joined the SuperLeague league. Once again my team is chock full of wastrels, garbagemen, and horrible players that will earn me no wins.

Not sure it's wise to pick every player in your fantasy team from Carlton

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Well this escalated quickly.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/victorian-clubs-handed-afl-funding-for-academies posted:

VICTORIAN clubs have been given seed funding to establish club-branded academies in allocated areas throughout Victoria and the Northern Territory in a radical plan to attract youngsters from non-traditional football backgrounds to the game.

Under the plan unveiled to clubs on Tuesday, they will be given the chance to invest in specific regions to attract youngsters from diverse backgrounds and indigenous heritage to play AFL and develop elite talent within those areas.

The plan is part of an AFL push to ensure the game continues to attract and foster the development of players regardless of their background or location.

For example, reigning premiers Hawthorn have been allocated the eastern Whitehorse region in Melbourne, along with Gippsland local government areas and Katherine in the Northern Territory, while North Melbourne has been given the Wyndham and western Melbourne areas.

Those clubs will set up 'Next Generation' AFL Academies for boys and girls aged 11-18 using club brands with the aiming of increasing the talent pool.

Clubs will identify and attract talented youngsters into regional squads to prepare them for the talent pathway program that players start at 16.

Each club's investment in the academies will sit outside the football department cap.

Football operations boss Mark Evans said the AFL was determined to make sure people who might not have been raised with a traditional football background feel welcome to play the game and are attracted to the AFL.

"We will use the expertise, resources and brand power of clubs out in regional communities to help find and attract and develop young talent, boys and girls, all cultures, all backgrounds," Evans said.

"If clubs can help attract and develop some talent that would be under-represented and not normally find its way into the AFL pathway then they will have the ability to receive some incentive for that similar to the bidding system used for the northern academies."

If a club develops a young Australian from an Asian or African background and wants to draft them, then they will receive a discount on a basis similar to the current bidding system. Clubs will be able to apply for draft discounts on other youngsters from non-English speaking backgrounds if they develop the player in a similar manner.

For indigenous players from under-represented areas such as the Pilbara, incentives will also exist for clubs to develop and nurture talent in those areas.

The AFL believes the draft bidding system will stop clubs from trying to exploit the system by enticing talent to move into their areas.

Evans said clubs intending to have team in the new national women's competition should ensure girls are part of the academy programs.

The clubs were consulted in the past 12 months and are understood to have accepted the allocation in general terms.

"The allocation of regions has been based on a range of factors – aligning to existing under-18 talent regions, minimising player travel and access issues, aligning AFL clubs to current or historical relationships with certain communities and balanced access to 5-18 year-olds from diverse backgrounds," Evans said.

The AFL will meet with South Australian and West Australian clubs regarding the allocating of regions in those states, and is in the process of finalising the allocation of regions in Tasmania.

Next generation AFL club academies – Victorian clubs region allocation

Western Bulldogs – Western Melbourne, Wimmera, Mallee, South West Victoria, Ballarat, (North Ballarat Rebels & Western Jets)

Essendon – North West Melbourne (Calder Cannons), West Arnhem (NT)

Melbourne – South East Melbourne (Dandenong Stingrays), Alice Springs (NT)

Collingwood – Central Melbourne (Oakleigh Chargers), Barkly (NT)

St Kilda – Inner Southern Melbourne (Sandringham Dragons), Frankston LGA

North Melbourne – Melbourne and Wyndham LGAs (Calder Cannons & Western Jets)

Hawthorn – Eastern/Whitehorse LGAs (Eastern Ranges), Gippsland (Gippsland Power), Katherine (NT)

Carlton – Northern Melbourne (Northern Knights)

Geelong – Geelong /Hampden (Geelong Falcons), East Arnhem (NT)

Richmond – Goulburn Murray, Bendigo, Sunraysia, North Central (Bendigo Pioneers and Murray Bushrangers)

E: I'd be really interested to see the demographic breakdowns of all those areas. Also, there's a NT map in the link.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sounds like these are aimed primarily at indigenous youth and people of a non-traditional background/latecomer to the sport. I do love how the Bulldogs don't even end up getting Maribyrnong which instead is taken by North while the Hawks have gotten the region with the highest growth in indigenous people moving there.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The Pies long history of racism gets them a NT zone.

Overall, I really don't know if this is a good or bad thing. I can see the reasons for it but I'm highly skeptical about the fairness of its application. Someone really needs to figure out the exact demographic breakdowns for all the areas, highlighting indigenous and other relevant populations. Since the expenses for it are outside the football department cap then this will clearly benefit the richer clubs more.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Periphery posted:

Well this escalated quickly.

E: I'd be really interested to see the demographic breakdowns of all those areas. Also, there's a NT map in the link.

If someone can find a definitive resource of the actual boundaries I can do that with an age/sex/ethnicity breakdown(although it would be a bit outdated from the last census, would be even better when we get the data for the 2016 census) , when I get back to uni and have the GIS lab.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i was worried non-victorian teams were going to have a monopoly on talent there for a minute. thank god they nipped that one in the bud.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Periphery posted:

The Pies long history of racism gets them a NT zone.

I sure am glad that Adelaide, Port Adelaide, and South Australia's long history of being the only state interested in doing anything for the NT has been rewarded.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

I sure am glad that Adelaide, Port Adelaide, and South Australia's long history of being the only state interested in doing anything for the NT has been rewarded.

Equalisation at work!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Melbourne has been active in the NT for a while.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Im betting the population of the Essendon region is huge

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Looks like Melbourne got Casey which iirc is the highest population and the fastest growing LGA in Victoria

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The AFL didn't divvy up NT and only award them to Victoria right? That's some malarkey right there. These are academies too, so it's harder to guarantee those players coming to your club now also.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also this bodes well for my planned post apocalyptic Australia AFL inspired Crusader Kings 2 mod.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Any reason teams like St. Kilda didn't get a region of NT?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also this bodes well for my planned post apocalyptic Australia AFL inspired Crusader Kings 2 mod.

The mod where the surviving settlements in the south, north, and west of the wastelands, must deal with the constant raids from the many barbarian tribes of the south east, stealing not only supplies, but also young boys and girls to turn into the barbarian raiders of tomorrow?

The entire east and north east, of course, having been correctly pushed into the ocean during the apocalypse.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

spamman posted:

Any reason teams like St. Kilda didn't get a region of NT?

The Saints have been really light on for indigenous talent in recent years. Off the top of my head only Gresham is indigenous and I think before that Milera was the only other for quite a while.

I would hope that the AFL figured out the areas so that each team has equal access to the target demographics. I'm not holding my breath though.

With what we've seen so far the Saints region looks like it will have a lot of really white/traditional footy areas. The size of our possible talent pool could be heavily determined by how far east the boundary goes and how much of Dandenong and the surrounding suburbs the Dees get (springvale/noble park etc).

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Does Goon Golden Spoon 4 have a maximum of 8 players? I'm trying to join it but it won't let me.
Or am I just an idiot and I can't find the "Join" button?
You really want me in the league, trust me. I came dead last by a long shot in my other fantasy league last year, I'll be a great percentage booster for everyone!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
MELBOURNE has announced that Michelle Cowan and Daisy Pearce have joined the club as employees.

Chief executive Peter Jackson said Cowan and Pearce were “both outstandingly talented individuals who came to attention via our long term association and investment in women’s football”.

“Michelle Cowan has proven herself to be an outstanding coach and we have secured her in our football department in a development role to support our player welfare,” he said.

“We are of the view that it is important for our club to provide a diverse influence to our players and Michelle will provide and important perspective and leadership to our players, both male and female. 

“Everything I know about Daisy tells me she will have a long term role in football in whatever area she chooses to pursue and that she will be a future leader of the game.”

Good poo poo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Forum Joe posted:

Does Goon Golden Spoon 4 have a maximum of 8 players? I'm trying to join it but it won't let me.

It's set to 16 teams at the moment, so :shrug:

Try again, I updated the settings to see if it nudges it. The site only just came up yesterday so it may be a bit bugged.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I had to log into UF, then go join games custom games.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

:lol:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
that's not what it looks like guys, really. stop talking about it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yeah I found UF weird to join, there was no join button but all of a sudden after a page refresh I was joined so..

Also, TISM were always ahead of their time but saw this which seemed appropriate

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

If someone can find a definitive resource of the actual boundaries I can do that with an age/sex/ethnicity breakdown(although it would be a bit outdated from the last census, would be even better when we get the data for the 2016 census) , when I get back to uni and have the GIS lab.

It's probably pointless but I might shoot an email off to the Saints asking about this to see what response I get. Is it worth mentioning the fact that the census data is relatively old now? I'm not getting my hopes up for getting the data we need but I've heard some good things about people sending the club emails expressing concerns and getting solid responses so I might just get lucky. I might even call them out on their bullshit target for Moorabbin being ready in time for the 2017 season when the plans haven't even been approved by council yet (as far as I can tell).

I'd email the AFL but good luck finding an email address to send it to and I've got more chance of winning the lottery than getting a response.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Yeah, I'm in now. Not sure if it was you tweaking the settings or me loading the page in Safari instead of Chome, but it's working.

Country Pumpkins are going to come out swinging!
...and fall over after a big airy.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

It honestly just looks like a pixelated white mass? Needs a better version.

thepokey posted:

Yeah I found UF weird to join, there was no join button but all of a sudden after a page refresh I was joined so..

Also, TISM were always ahead of their time but saw this which seemed appropriate

This should go in the OP.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm glad the Vic clubs don't get access to any of WA, thats something that I know Freo people have been putting a lot of effort into, especially with Gerard Neesham setting up the Clontarf School a number of years ago in the North West of the state:

http://www.clontarf.org.au

Other than the world of good the academy does for indigenous communities, some good footballers have come out of it: Mark Williams, Dion Woods, Andrew Krakouer, Michael Johnson, Lewis Jetta, Chris Yarran and Patrick Ryder

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
From that article on the new academy system:

"The AFL believes the draft bidding system will stop clubs from trying to exploit the system by enticing talent to move into their areas."

If the AFL really believes that then this whole thing will be horribly hosed up and only serve to make the rich clubs richer and more successful. How the gently caress would the the new bidding system stop clubs paying kids to move into their zone? They still get the first pick of the players they want at a discounted price. Why the gently caress wouldn't they do it if they have the money as I'm sure they can figure a way around any weak rear end rules the AFL implements to try and stop it from happening.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I think you'll find that all the rich clubs pinky swore they wouldn't

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Jaeger O'Meara reckons he won't be leaving the suns. My little sister is friends with his sister and I've been getting stuck into her to pass along thr message why he should sign with the Dees.

Don't worry guys I'm all over it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

From that article on the new academy system:

"The AFL believes the draft bidding system will stop clubs from trying to exploit the system by enticing talent to move into their areas."

If the AFL really believes that then this whole thing will be horribly hosed up and only serve to make the rich clubs richer and more successful. How the gently caress would the the new bidding system stop clubs paying kids to move into their zone? They still get the first pick of the players they want at a discounted price. Why the gently caress wouldn't they do it if they have the money as I'm sure they can figure a way around any weak rear end rules the AFL implements to try and stop it from happening.

"Oh this is NOTHING like zoning guys, we promise!"
*proceeds to mention issues relating directly to zoning.

There better be some TIGHT regulations on who can be drafted through this as frankly gently caress zoning and its "big4" blowing system.

snaeksikn posted:

Jaeger O'Meara reckons he won't be leaving the suns. My little sister is friends with his sister and I've been getting stuck into her to pass along thr message why he should sign with the Dees.

Don't worry guys I'm all over it.

He is SO gone from Gold Cost Ablett is gonna have track marks on his shiny dome.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Don't worry, if a poor club manages to get a good player through their academy no doubt they'll be off to hawthorn when their two year draftee contract ends

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I'm looking forward to the inevitable underdog story when said player wins the Norm Smith

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hey adam, you wanna do one more lap of getting booed in every stadium in the country?

Nah. Nah I'm right thanks.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Solemn Sloth posted:

Looks like Melbourne got Casey which iirc is the highest population and the fastest growing LGA in Victoria

The Casey Scorpions have been the VFL affiliate club of the Dees for years, so that at least makes sense.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-02-03/crow-pays-fyfe-canine-compliment-

quote:

Young Crow Jake Lever has paid Brownlow Medallist Nathan Fyfe one of the biggest possible compliments, naming his new dog after the Fremantle star.

:lol:

Edit: Although I'm sad to see it's not "Cow Dog"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Hirdists are more disgusted by the prospect of Adam Goodes playing in the sash for a year than the fact their team was done for drug cheating.

• Locked thread