Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Kylaer posted:

I bought a Leap because it seems to have a high degree of approval in this thread, but I'm disappointed with it. The cushioning on the seat and the back isn't soft at all and I think sitting in it for any significant amount of time will be uncomfortable. I do like the pivot action of the back, since I always recline while sitting, but I'm going to return it. It also arrived with a broken caster, but that's unrelated to the fact that it isn't actually comfortable.

Depending on what you were using previously, it can take some time to adjust to a chair that has proper ergonomics. Cushioning is comfy but it's not going to give you the support you want to have in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If you're anything like me, it also takes a little while to teach your body how to sit in a restful position. Ergonomic chair be damned if you twist yourself all up when you sit down.

For me, the most important part of training my body involved placing my butt all the way to the back of the seat pan and then keeping it there rather than sliding forward.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I've sat in it for probably a half hour or so, long enough to get uncomfortable. I like to sit reclining as far back as I can.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Wound up getting that aeron I posted about on the last page. Seemed to be like new, couldn't tell it was used at all, still had all the paperwork and stuff with it too. Also came with the fully adjustable arms, so that was a nice perk. :woop:

On top of that, it turned out that the wobble in my old serta chair was because the metal frame on the base was snapped... sooooo good thing I upgraded.

e. also seems like it came with the posturefit upgrade too, and the nicer tilt trim and stuff. Seems that about the only upgrade it doesn't have is some cosmetic perks and the 3" casters.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 31, 2016

isndl
May 2, 2012

Kylaer posted:

I've sat in it for probably a half hour or so, long enough to get uncomfortable. I like to sit reclining as far back as I can.

Well, nobody is going to stop you from going back to whatever you were using before, but half an hour in the chair is not much. For what it's worth, I was reclined pretty much all the time when I used the Leap and had no problems. :shrug:

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I have been for the past few months sitting on a steelcase gesture I purchased.

I spent half a day on the gesture which was the best the distributor could do for me and at the time it seemed comfortable. It came with lumbar support and what not by default which was nice. Absent being able to perform further extended purchase I bit the bullet and made the purchase.

These last few months in the chair have been horrific. What was comfortable for the first week became a constant and frustrating experience. I have never sat in a more uncomfortable chair in my life. I kept with it for some time because again, it is not actually possible to spend days/weeks in a chair at least not in the environments these high end chairs are offered in and I was worried I may make a similar mistake again and just blow another 1000 dollars down the drain.

I started a new job recently as luck would have it and have now spent three weeks in the chair offered as standard here. Linkage:

http://www.knoll.com/product/life

It is a lot like my old Aeron but seems to promote a healthier posture for me than the aeron. It provides far superior lower back support when compared to the gesture for my body type and the arms also in comparison to the gesture are for more useful and comfortable for resting periods then the hard and fairly minimal gesture arms.

Neat chair and never one that I have seen in a business before. I am feeling quite lucky that I was able to somewhat take it for a test drive before purchasing. It is a joy going to work every day and sitting in one of these things, it just helps me to relax so well as it takes so much stress off my body that my gesture introduces.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
No embodys in the last few pages? For shame! (It is the best chair)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Nope, although here's a pic of my cat inspecting the new chair.

starblaze
Jan 21, 2016
Oh you got a chair! I was going to say I bought mine when I was angry so I bought the most expensive one at staples, lol. BUT it's lasted like 6 years so definitely got the bang for my buck :D

Nice chair.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Cute kid.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Etrips posted:

No embodys in the last few pages? For shame! (It is the best chair)

I thought about it, but the jump from a $550 used Leap to a $1250 new Embody was just too steep considering I was buying both sight-unseen, and couldn't find any used Embodies.

I contacted the dealer who sold me the Leap and they're sending me a new caster so I guess I'll experiment with it for a while. And buy some kind of additional seat cushion.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Kylaer posted:

I thought about it, but the jump from a $550 used Leap to a $1250 new Embody was just too steep considering I was buying both sight-unseen, and couldn't find any used Embodies.

I contacted the dealer who sold me the Leap and they're sending me a new caster so I guess I'll experiment with it for a while. And buy some kind of additional seat cushion.

Used embodys run around $700 iirc.

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009
Can someone recommend me a reasonably priced chair I can get in Australia?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
What's "reasonably"?

At a guess of your price range, you probably want to keep an eye on ozbargain for a deal on a Buro task chair.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Kylaer posted:

I actually have both of these on my Leap:
http://computers.woot.com/offers/kensington-memory-foam-back-rest-1
http://computers.woot.com/offers/kensington-memory-foam-seat-rest-1
It doesn't need those extra cushions, but I got them on a whim and they fit and are nice enough.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

insidius posted:

I have been for the past few months sitting on a steelcase gesture I purchased.

I spent half a day on the gesture which was the best the distributor could do for me and at the time it seemed comfortable. It came with lumbar support and what not by default which was nice. Absent being able to perform further extended purchase I bit the bullet and made the purchase.

These last few months in the chair have been horrific. What was comfortable for the first week became a constant and frustrating experience. I have never sat in a more uncomfortable chair in my life. I kept with it for some time because again, it is not actually possible to spend days/weeks in a chair at least not in the environments these high end chairs are offered in and I was worried I may make a similar mistake again and just blow another 1000 dollars down the drain.

I started a new job recently as luck would have it and have now spent three weeks in the chair offered as standard here. Linkage:

http://www.knoll.com/product/life

It is a lot like my old Aeron but seems to promote a healthier posture for me than the aeron. It provides far superior lower back support when compared to the gesture for my body type and the arms also in comparison to the gesture are for more useful and comfortable for resting periods then the hard and fairly minimal gesture arms.

Neat chair and never one that I have seen in a business before. I am feeling quite lucky that I was able to somewhat take it for a test drive before purchasing. It is a joy going to work every day and sitting in one of these things, it just helps me to relax so well as it takes so much stress off my body that my gesture introduces.
We had those in my office as a PhD student. Can't believe those pieces of crap were $1,000.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I just picked up an Aeron for $210 from some office moving furniture company. Apparently they picked these up from some out of business shop and were selling 6 or so on craigslist but didnt have any pics or descriptions. Normally I see them going for around $375+ used or through unofficial distributors. I reached out with interest for a medium chair but the seller didnt seem to know much about them. I decided to drop on by and luckily I was the first one on the scene.

I was able to pick out a red/black, full tilt options, medium size, lumbar support, AND 3inch caster wheels. The only thing missing was leather armpads which is a shame as the regular armpads were a little scuffed. The overall condition seemed lightly used as the chair was a little sooty on the base before I cleaned it up afterwards. My workplace has aeron chairs and they've been through plenty of wear and tear through lots of people for comparison. Keep searching goons, you will find those deals one day( unless you live in a non metro area)!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

CheeseSpawn posted:

I just picked up an Aeron for $210 from some office moving furniture company. Apparently they picked these up from some out of business shop and were selling 6 or so on craigslist but didnt have any pics or descriptions. Normally I see them going for around $375+ used or through unofficial distributors. I reached out with interest for a medium chair but the seller didnt seem to know much about them. I decided to drop on by and luckily I was the first one on the scene.

I was able to pick out a red/black, full tilt options, medium size, lumbar support, AND 3inch caster wheels. The only thing missing was leather armpads which is a shame as the regular armpads were a little scuffed. The overall condition seemed lightly used as the chair was a little sooty on the base before I cleaned it up afterwards. My workplace has aeron chairs and they've been through plenty of wear and tear through lots of people for comparison. Keep searching goons, you will find those deals one day( unless you live in a non metro area)!

It only took me three years to find an aeron in my non metro area!

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Hey, this thread really delivered for me. I just got a good deal on a gently used Leap and my back is loving it.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
I found an office liquidator near me that had a bunch of Haworth Very task chairs for $200-$250 a piece. I bought one and it seems very good so far. This might be a nice option for people looking for something a little more affordable.

Eptar
Jan 14, 2003
Oh no, not again.

Atomizer posted:

These high-end chairs (e.g. Herman Miller, Steelcase, etc.) will be adjustable enough to accommodate an ergonomic seating position, which is partially what justifies their high cost. My Leap can be adjusted by seat height & depth, armrest height/angle/depth, and backrest angle/tension plus lumbar; the seat & armrest adjustments ensure I can position myself to sit properly at any desk height. You probably know this already, but you want to be seated so that your eyes look at or just above the top of the monitor, and the mouse/keyboard should be at a height that allows your forearms to be parallel to the ground. You shouldn't have to reach or strain for any controls. The nice thing about the armrest depth adjustment is that it allows you to position it as far back as necessary to accommodate a keyboard drawer.

I'm wondering if the desk I'm using is just unusually tall at 30.25 inches, because I actually had to buy an aftermarket cylinder with an extra inch of lift for my current staples-level wannabe ergo chair to get my elbows parallel with the desktop surface. This caused my feet to dangle slightly so I bought one of those under-desk foot rests to get my legs level (seems odd that this was necessary as I'm 6'2). I think I'm gonna grab a used leap v1 off craigslist, but wondering if that will mean replacing the cylinder again to get it high enough. If 30.25 is a normal desk height then I must have unusually long arms causing my elbows to drop below the surface.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There's a lot of videos and websites out there saying This Is How To Sit that I'm not sure what's nonsense and what's correct. Can anyone help me out?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Eptar posted:

I'm wondering if the desk I'm using is just unusually tall at 30.25 inches

yes

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I had to get motorized desk before I realized that every desk I've ever owned has been too tall for me. 28" tall is right for my 5'8" self.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Eptar posted:

I'm wondering if the desk I'm using is just unusually tall at 30.25 inches, because I actually had to buy an aftermarket cylinder with an extra inch of lift for my current staples-level wannabe ergo chair to get my elbows parallel with the desktop surface. This caused my feet to dangle slightly so I bought one of those under-desk foot rests to get my legs level (seems odd that this was necessary as I'm 6'2). I think I'm gonna grab a used leap v1 off craigslist, but wondering if that will mean replacing the cylinder again to get it high enough. If 30.25 is a normal desk height then I must have unusually long arms causing my elbows to drop below the surface.

For the hell of it, I measured my desk; from the floor to the keyboard drawer it's two feet, the top surface is a couple inches above that. So from the sounds of that, your desk might be a little on the tall side. My Leap v2 can raise the seat to about 21", and this Kensington gel seat cushion that I use (even if it's not necessary) adds about two inches to that. You might still need the footrest, but you should be good with a Leap.

Boris Galerkin posted:

There's a lot of videos and websites out there saying This Is How To Sit that I'm not sure what's nonsense and what's correct. Can anyone help me out?

There's not that much to it. Something like this is what I've always followed:

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

I think I am going to be buying a new chair this month. I'd like to spend less than 600 bucks so I'm looking at a used Leap V2 or a new OM5 chair. I live in rural Kansas so driving somewhere to test out chairs is a huge hassle so I have to guess what i'll like based on reviews.

I think the Leap is probably the safest bet but I am intrigued by the OM5 though I am nervous about it at the same time.

Anyone have any comments that can sway me one way or another? I'm also open to other suggestions and I might be willing to move on price a bit if someone is real drat convincing.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I always see madisonseating.com pop up when i google steelcase criterion and they offer used for like $160. Does anyone have experience with them, does that seem like a good price for a used criterion?

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

After some thought and a lot of research I am not going to get the OM5 but I am now looking at an Aeron chair the Leap V2 or Think V2. They all seem like such great chairs, though the Aeron is a bit pricey I think it might be worth it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I've been using an aeron for a little over a month now and god drat it's been nice. So much nicer than any of the stuff I could normally buy locally (i.e., office depot poo poo).

Still trying to find a solid footrest though

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fellis posted:

I always see madisonseating.com pop up when i google steelcase criterion and they offer used for like $160. Does anyone have experience with them, does that seem like a good price for a used criterion?

I was going to buy a Leap from Madison Seating before I found my mutant from an eBay office liquidator. Madison sells through Amazon, so you could just buy through there if you're concerned about the seller's reputation or whatever.

Beo posted:

After some thought and a lot of research I am not going to get the OM5 but I am now looking at an Aeron chair the Leap V2 or Think V2. They all seem like such great chairs, though the Aeron is a bit pricey I think it might be worth it.

I love the Leap, and while plenty of people love their Aerons I hear the pellicle thing is not for everyone. The Leap has regular cushions.

Mr. Despair posted:

Still trying to find a solid footrest though

There are quite a few footrest styles (platform, cushion) available on Amazon. In fact, now that you mentioned it, I'm going to get one of these for myself.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can someone recommend me a compact office chair that doesn't go too far over $250. I've got a cheapo OfficeMax chair right now but I'm getting sick of it being too big in kind of a cramped space.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Casimir Radon posted:

Can someone recommend me a compact office chair that doesn't go too far over $250. I've got a cheapo OfficeMax chair right now but I'm getting sick of it being too big in kind of a cramped space.

Think your only option at that price range is to try and find a liquidator for a used chair. YMMV based on your locale.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The Ikea Volmar would run approx. $250 new, and it's definitely much more compact than the standard budget choice of the Markus. Otherwise you're squarely in the middle of used chair territory, yeah.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What is something compact that I could pick up used, and where would I go for that? The Volmar doesn’t look too bad.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I got a Leap from one of those places that buy up furniture from bankruptcy sales. Not refurbed but they did wash and vacuum it and let me pick out of a bunch

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I plan on stopping by a steelcase distributor sometime next week to sit on a Leap to see if I actually want to splurge the $900+ on it.

I've searched craigslist and the few used leaps that are available in my area are just plain ugly, and I'm a sucker for aesthetic and I like being able to pick the fabric color and material, I wish these things weren't so drat expensive, but I'm tired of $200 office depot chairs breaking down every 2 years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone in the Calgary area interested in VG to excellent condition Mirras for $300? I might have a line on some.

Eptar
Jan 14, 2003
Oh no, not again.
Found a leap V2 for $300 pretty close to me that I'm thinking about picking up, however I just realized I wont be able to use my trunk due to a sub box that would be a pain in the rear end to take out. I think I can fit it in my front seat with the seat down and all the way back, but I'll probably need to take the base off, so for anyone that's assembled a leap can you tell me if the base can just be popped off with a mallet (basically the pneumatic cylinder just stays in it from the pressure of you sitting on it) or if there are any screws / tools I'll need to bring to take it off? The legs that the casters attach to look kind of thin from pictures so I'm also a little worried that hitting those with a mallet may mar / break them.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Eptar posted:

Found a leap V2 for $300 pretty close to me that I'm thinking about picking up, however I just realized I wont be able to use my trunk due to a sub box that would be a pain in the rear end to take out. I think I can fit it in my front seat with the seat down and all the way back, but I'll probably need to take the base off, so for anyone that's assembled a leap can you tell me if the base can just be popped off with a mallet (basically the pneumatic cylinder just stays in it from the pressure of you sitting on it) or if there are any screws / tools I'll need to bring to take it off? The legs that the casters attach to look kind of thin from pictures so I'm also a little worried that hitting those with a mallet may mar / break them.

I don't think you're gonna be able to fit this chair in your Miata dude, but to humor you, I found this:
http://www.steelcasechairparts.com/resources/steelcase-leap-gas-cylinder-instructions.pdf
Looks like the cylinder may or may not be press-fit, but just in case bring the mallet and some standard tools and you should be able to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
After years of waiting I was finally able to go buy a Leap today. God I forgot how nice it is to sit in a proper chair again.