Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Well what about me, I'm an American who chats with his Euro/Canadian online friends so much that I've started using Celsius in my ordinary usage here, even among other Americans.

You're what's called a traitor. When the US, Belize, Jamaica alliance comes to power you will be first against the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
I would thrilled if we dropped imperial measurements for metric, but drat it don't touch my dang farenheit

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

never trust an elf posted:

I would thrilled if we dropped imperial measurements for metric, but drat it don't touch my dang farenheit

It should be a requirement that you have to know how to spell Fahrenheit in order to use it

or to have an opinion on Celsius vs Fahrenheit at all

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I only uses measures from the Bible, heathens.

My car gets around 17,000 cubits per bath.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

majormonotone posted:

It should be a requirement that you have to know how to spell Fahrenheit in order to use it

or to have an opinion on Celsius vs Fahrenheit at all

Sorry you had to write all those words because I forgot an H

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

never trust an elf posted:

Sorry you had to write all those words because I forgot an H

it's no problem but please don't do it again

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's Centigrade btw.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

US actually holds the world record for temp at loving 57. Death valley.
The lowest high temp is for Greenland at 25. You go greenland!

Sure it's not Antarctica that has the lowest high temp?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Sure it's not Antarctica that has the lowest high temp?

Yes it would be the South Pole, where it has never been not freezing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

computer parts posted:

It's Centigrade btw.
Not anymore it isn't.

They should do a scale that runs from 0 at -200C to 100 at 150C and call it Tardigrade.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

HookShot posted:

He's talking in celcius.

I was talking about winter, not summer. Either way, it's usually above 40, just switch the measurement unit depending upon the season.

Does anybody have any new politically loaded maps? I feel like FarenheitFahrenheit-CelciusCentigrade chatter is wearing out its' welcome at this point.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Pakled posted:

It certainly appears to be a big factor, but it doesn't match up precisely.

I've spent my entire working life in the state of Texas and I really don't think I could handle living in a state that had income tax. I'm glad to learn that Washington is still on the table. :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Randandal posted:

I was talking about winter, not summer. Either way, it's usually above 40, just switch the measurement unit depending upon the season.

Does anybody have any new politically loaded maps? I feel like FarenheitFahrenheit-CelciusCentigrade chatter is wearing out its' welcome at this point.
Here's a map of tardigrade distribution in Europe.

Politically loaded because of the collapse of the UK, Corsican and Sardinian independence, and Ukrainian Crimea

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Here's a map of tardigrade distribution in Europe.

Politically loaded because of the collapse of the UK, Corsican and Sardinian independence, and Ukrainian Crimea

I don't understand what tardigrade is, nor why Corsica or Sardinia would be independent on a map that pre-dates recemt Russian conquests.

King Hong Kong posted:

I have some skepticism about the accuracy of that map, particularly on the coasts. Compare:

DrSunshine posted:

Is God holding a giant magnifying glass over that one spot in the Southwest?

Bongo Bill posted:

It's about the same latitude as Tunisia, and it's very mountainous and far inland. Even the coast is at a location where jet stream effects tend to go around it, for reasons that I don't know enough about meteorology or oceanography to explain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadley_cell#Major_impacts_on_precipitation_by_latitude

Essentially, the Equator receives the most heating and thus has the largest amount of rising air. The air rises and is pushed away from the Equator either north or south as more air rises below it. Divergence in the upper levels of the atmosphere allows air to continuously rise and form clouds, and thunderstorms and rain. The air that is pushed away from the Equator eventually sinks, typically around 30 degrees latitude. Sinking air causes higher air pressures at the surface, preventing moisture from saturating the air and inhibiting clouds, thunderstorms and rain. So wherever you are, if you're near 30 degrees latitude, you probably won't have much drinking water but you will have lots of sunshine and retired people.

Beyond that, around 60 degrees' latitude is a second area of upper level divergence in the atmosphere, this one is driven by moderately warm air rising above extremely cold, dense air moving away from the poles at the level of the surface, and it's the reason that Europe is a miserably cold and rainy place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Randandal posted:

I don't understand what tardigrade is, nor why Corsica or Sardinia would be independent on a map that pre-dates recemt Russian conquests.
It's a small animal that can survive large extremes of temperature and temperature scale arguments.

And the vacuum of space.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Rah! posted:

I don't want to know what goes on at the Feral furry convention of Ontario. Is it like, a bunch of homeless furries who convene in an alleyway and fight and gently caress all night while screaming unintelligibly? That seems pretty similar to a normal furry convention though.
It looks like it's near Algonquin Provincial Park, so presumably it gives people who like to dress like bears the chance to get eaten by actual bears? :shrug:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Randandal posted:

I've spent my entire working life in the state of Texas and I really don't think I could handle living in a state that had income tax. I'm glad to learn that Washington is still on the table. :)

From what I've seen the combination of Property + Income + Sales tax is about the same wherever you go, it's just the balance that shifts.

So Texas has no income tax, but pretty high sales & property taxes. California has very low property tax, but very high income & sales taxes, etc.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

tehchekt
May 7, 2007
something cool and profound

jerry sandusky's victims

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Is that Sheetz locations?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

fishmech posted:

Is that Sheetz locations?

Just took a cursory glance at their store finder and either you're correct (which, bravo I guess, how the hell would you guess that?) or there's some really strong correlation to that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No Safe Word posted:

bravo I guess, how the hell would you guess that?

"Search Google for image"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

No Safe Word posted:

Just took a cursory glance at their store finder and either you're correct (which, bravo I guess, how the hell would you guess that?) or there's some really strong correlation to that.

It's all over PA, especially Pittsburgh, but almost completely absent from Philadelphia and the immediate area, and none in NJ. And the dot around Blacksburg is exactly where the one I want to when I was down there was.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Yeah it's Sheetz locations. Went on a Wikiwalk, found that map, thought it would be fun to throw in the thread

Also Philadelphia County is missing its border with Bucks County

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Randandal posted:

Enjoy your high-rear end sales tax, I guess. Also hope you're not poor otherwise you're getting hosed.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 3, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Peanut President posted:

Enjoy your high-rear end sales tax, I guess. Also hope you're not poor otherwise you're getting hosed.

I've always thought that prices ought to be quoted with the sales tax included. If a candy bar is labeled 99 cents, it'll actually cost you $1.07 or whatever. I think it should be labeled as $1.07... or if the store really wants to keep it under a buck, then do so, but take the taxes out of that.

It's already like this for gasoline, and it works great. Why not everything?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Powered Descent posted:

I've always thought that prices ought to be quoted with the sales tax included. If a candy bar is labeled 99 cents, it'll actually cost you $1.07 or whatever. I think it should be labeled as $1.07... or if the store really wants to keep it under a buck, then do so, but take the taxes out of that.

Because the only place gas prices get advertised is at the individual store.

All other products tend to get advertised in campaigns that cross sales tax boundaries. It's way easier to handle things by advertising the regular price and add the tax in stores then to fill your ads up with in state x, y tax except in city Z, etc.

You'll notice in countries with taxes included there's generally a uniform tax across the country.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

Powered Descent posted:

Every once and a while a politician talks about doing that. Then a few hundred business owners complain and the idea gets dropped.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Can we get one of these for property tax so that I can figure out exactly which state's border I'd like to live along? I just can't comprehend filing two income tax payments and 8.25% (most municipalities add a local tax adding up to this amount) sales tax doesn't really seem like that big of a deal to me since I'm accustomed to it.

Powered Descent posted:

Gas stations advertising their prices with a "$0.009" added to them bothers me so very very much.

majormonotone posted:

Yeah it's Sheetz locations. Went on a Wikiwalk, found that map, thought it would be fun to throw in the thread

Also Philadelphia County is missing its border with Bucks County

When I drove to New Jersey a few years ago I discovered that Sheetz are loving amazing, I mean Wawa is cool too and so is QuikChek, and Kum&Go is hilarious, but Sheetz is the loving best.

Although, Stripes is great too. Come to Dallas dammit :argh:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

It's all over PA, especially Pittsburgh, but almost completely absent from Philadelphia and the immediate area, and none in NJ. And the dot around Blacksburg is exactly where the one I want to when I was down there was.

The strong sheetz-wawa-dixon line.

E: I would actually like to see wawa locations overlaid on that map.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 3, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Randandal posted:

Can we get one of these for property tax so that I can figure out exactly which state's border I'd like to live along? I just can't comprehend filing two income tax payments and 8.25% (most municipalities add a local tax adding up to this amount) sales tax doesn't really seem like that big of a deal to me since I'm accustomed to it.

Property taxes are more of a county thing. That being said:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Powered Descent posted:

Wait, in the USA it's legal to advertise your products without the sales tax included?

Randandal posted:

You know that sales taxes massively screw over the poor while income taxes actually make rich people pay their fair share in taxes?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Torrannor posted:

Wait, in the USA it's legal to advertise your products without the sales tax included?

Advertising products with sales tax included is basically unheard of. It is pretty much safe to assume that you have to pay sales tax on top of any price you see quoted, unless explicitly marked (or categorized) otherwise.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Advertising products with sales tax included is basically unheard of. It is pretty much safe to assume that you have to pay sales tax on top of any price you see quoted, unless explicitly marked (or categorized) otherwise.

Or unless you live in a state that does not have a sales tax

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
And Americans who haven't spent meaningful time in other countries just take it for granted because it's all they know :(

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

People referring to a 8% sales tax as high is really weirding me out.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Andrast posted:

People referring to a 8% sales tax as high is really weirding me out.

I'm just sitting here paying 25% value added tax :v: .

But then again I'm weirded out by people who have no income tax.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's also basically impossible since sometimes even different towns in the same county may have a different tax.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
"Move to New Hampshire!", they said. "Don't pay sales or income tax, it is the land of the free!"

Buy a house, "Money money money money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Boiled Water posted:

I'm just sitting here paying 25% value added tax :v: .

But then again I'm weirded out by people who have no income tax.

There's nowhere in the US with 0 income tax, unless you're very broke, since there's federal income tax. There's just a few places without additional state and local income tax.

Plinkey posted:

The strong sheetz-wawa-dixon line.

E: I would actually like to see wawa locations overlaid on that map.

Not an overlay but:

This is from 2012 though, so it doesn't show how they've now got a bunch of Wawas open in North Jersey again, as well as having a whole bunch more Florida locations than the 2 you see there.

Randandal posted:

Gas stations advertising their prices with a "$0.009" added to them bothers me so very very much.

The 9 mils is the result of a separate federal tax, and no station wants to be the first to just add another mil on to make it whole cents. And for whatever reason, no states have seen it as a good idea to add an extra mil onto their taxes on gas.