Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Greatbacon posted:

Did this affiliate station happen to serve a tri-county area in the southern united states :allears:

Close but not quite.

CE also argued against parent company buying them a state of the art news truck to replace the busted as gently caress late 80s A-Team can that couldn't go anywhere because, "we've got a bunch of spare parts for it that we haven't tried".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what is it with these CE types?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
We have a couple of ABC affiliates as clients and they're super fun to deal with. Got my first "This Is Affecting Production" from one of them. Thankfully I have very little interaction with them but from what I've heard it's a wacky roller coaster when working on their cases.

In other news there was a security incident at another client that made them yank the power to their fibre switches while the SAN controllers were still up. Needless to say this did not make the SAN controllers happy.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

spankmeister posted:

The CE at my station is amazing but our GM matches every one of these stories (the GM is also the station owner so that heavily affects it).

E: our EAS receiver went from non functioning after being hit by lightning to being babied up to maybe-sometimes functioning lately! By that I mean, it mostly does the regional monthly tests right and our self tests work but it pretty much never fires on alerts how it should or if it does it fires like 20-30 minutes after the time it should fire

Super safe and not at all illegal, no sir nothing to see here :sweep:

Haquer fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 2, 2016

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

FireSight posted:

But why did he want to go from production/engineering to IT? Wouldn't that be a downgrade in pay? If production makes less than IT, I'm scared.

Production is the "grab some kids from high school and show them how to point a camera and count down from 3" job. It's minimum wage all the way.

This guy wasn't in engineering, but he's handy with fixing stuff.

Engineering/IT base pay was $16 an hour. Production makes $8.75.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Production is the "grab some kids from high school and show them how to point a camera and count down from 3" job. It's minimum wage all the way.

This guy wasn't in engineering, but he's handy with fixing stuff.

Engineering/IT base pay was $16 an hour. Production makes $8.75.

And he just didn't even try in the interview?

:wtc:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

KillHour posted:

Yeah, it's the same conversation I've done before, but around here, $8 an hour is normal and $16 an hour is straight up middle class. He would have moved up an entire rung on the social ladder if he had just tried even a little.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like he would have been terrible at a job with real responsibilities then.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Or just young? I straight up said that a job sounded boring in one of my interviews (summer job after high school). Ah, the idiocy of youth.

Came back the next summer and got that same job with a much better interview.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KillHour posted:

Some people never bother learning employment skills, like "how to interview", "how to succeed in a career", "how to not be the local piece of poo poo everybody in the office hates"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Its one part the attitude that comes with having to maintain some pretty old broadcast equipment combined with being in charge of, whether by their idea or someone elses, a realm they have virtually no knowledge of: IT. Any other combo would have some funny stories, its just these are very punctuated by the deranged visions of a mad man who has spent too much time in front transmitters and suddenly has to figure out why the bits aren't flowing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I want to see a doctor / sysadmin.

"gently caress, I can't remember any of these passwords!" (Domain admin password is 1234)

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I want to see a doctor / sysadmin.

"gently caress, I can't remember any of these passwords!" (Domain admin password is 1234)

Sweet jesus that is terrifying to consider.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's important to keep your domain admin password the same as the combo to your luggage.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Maybe around 2000 we had a client who wanted all admin passwords to be something simple he could remember, like '12345' so he could easily do things and make changes if he wanted. Of course he was a loving neurologist and naturally Dr. Sanjay Knowitall liked to tinker because he knew better. We hung around that disaster for about 6 months and then said nope. Yeah dude I'm sorry your practice management system is down but maybe you should stop making global changes willy loving nilly.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

NeuralSpark posted:

The control room installation at ITV in London was the cleanest cabling job I have ever seen anywhere.

If it's anything like the typical BBC studio (you'd think so as it's the same people doing the cabling etc) then if you actual go under the flooring and look at teh cables yeah it's clean and organised but there's also layers and layers of old unused cable underneath the newer stuff like geological rock formations

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

My normal rate is $150 an hour with a two hour minimum, but #bofh tough-loved me into shooting for at least $1200 just to fix this problem.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Every time you write about this TV station I wonder to myself are all TV stations this poorly ran and held together by prayers and duct tape or is this a particularly poorly run station. I mean at some point you'd think it would show on air that the station is a real poo poo show.
The station I was in was run tight as gently caress. Sure, sometimes equipment would gently caress up, but then we had ample documentation, backups, and emergency plans.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ookiimarukochan posted:

If it's anything like the typical BBC studio (you'd think so as it's the same people doing the cabling etc) then if you actual go under the flooring and look at teh cables yeah it's clean and organised but there's also layers and layers of old unused cable underneath the newer stuff like geological rock formations

But the geological rock formations were neatl! :haw:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Every time you write about this TV station I wonder to myself are all TV stations this poorly ran and held together by prayers and duct tape or is this a particularly poorly run station. I mean at some point you'd think it would show on air that the station is a real poo poo show.

Nah, don't worry, they'll fix it in post.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Ygolonac posted:

Nah, don't worry, they'll fix it in post.

I've heard this uttered by people in production before. I worked closely with the post department so it cut me deeply.

loving production :negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Today I found out that if you buy a Dell server with a 3 year warranty, all the disks in it are still only covered for a year. Even if the OEM versions of those drives would normally carry a five year warranty.

I feel like I'm the last person to discover this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Today I found out that if you buy a Dell server with a 3 year warranty, all the disks in it are still only covered for a year. Even if the OEM versions of those drives would normally carry a five year warranty.

HP is the same way. That reason alone is enough to buy a support contract.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah we've started putting ProSupport on server orders but it's not clear if that covers the drives for any longer period. We use it mainly because the phone gets answered quicker.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Thanks Ants posted:

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah we've started putting ProSupport on server orders but it's not clear if that covers the drives for any longer period. We use it mainly because the phone gets answered quicker.

A Dell Server with Basic and SATA drives gives a year warranty on said drives.
In order to get them in line with the server warranty you have 2 options
1) Buy the add-on SATA warranty extension
2) Buy ProSupport
And either of those you can add on/modify later.

SAS drives will take the warranty of the system without any additional warranties.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 3, 2016

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

:stare: Well, you aren't now.

My shop doesn't have too many of these deployed just yet.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 3, 2016

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
I work in a radio station. Here, have a picture of the back of our satellite rack.

This is just one of many racks in the building that look like this.

It's apparently worse than that up in the catwalks but they don't pay me enough to go and poke my nose up into the overheads.

Nerdlord Actual fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 3, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just walked past one of our consultants sitting at his desk using Windows Picture Viewer to look at a phone photo of a whiteboard.

His neck was cranked 90 degrees so he could look at it right-way-up.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I need to become a consultant, I can do that, and I can unplug things. (Plugging back in depends on average going rates.)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

Man I need to become a consultant, I can do that, and I can unplug things. (Plugging back in depends on average going rates.)

The whole company moved into a brand new building this week. The consultants desks already look like they have been occupied by shitlords for three years, and they are leaving out leftover food. They are probably charging around $200 per hour.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Today was shaping up to be a lovely day but reading about Larches' CE's house of cards collapsing around him instantly made up for it :allears:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Today was shaping up to be a lovely day but reading about Larches' CE's house of cards collapsing around him instantly made up for it :allears:

Maybe they should have split off IT from engineering like Larches asked and he'd still be there...
Oh well, better off for Larches'.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Lightning Jim posted:

Maybe they should have split off IT from engineering like Larches asked and he'd still be there...
Oh well, better off for Larches'.

Serendipity reared its ugly head last night with a bunch of tornadoes passing right over my apartment. My building is horrendously unsafe and I'm on the top floor so my best option for surviving was actually seeking shelter at the television station :negative:

I asked the GM if he minded my hiding out there for a few minutes until the storms passed and he was cool with it. I went in and said hi to everyone and was greeted with a never ending parade of "come back" and "fix this" requests. I informed everyone to get consultation approval from the GM for $300 an hour.

Several did and he did not approve haha.

Later, he came by and handed me a slip of paper that simply said "we need an IT guy :)"

Below it, I wrote "$75k and my own department :)" and gave it back. He was not amused.

I avoided CE all night. But I did witness him sitting amidst an actual pile of NICs, systematically replacing each one in a machine, still trying to solve the same issue he had been working on for over 24 straight hours.

Other than that, pretty uneventful and I didn't die, so that's a plus.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

larchesdanrew posted:

Later, he came by and handed me a slip of paper that simply said "we need an IT guy :)"

I love how this had to be on a piece of paper because the CE could be around any corner, snooping on conversations, and would publicly blow a gasket if he knew the GM was asking you to come back. What a wonderful place.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Serendipity reared its ugly head last night with a bunch of tornadoes passing right over my apartment. My building is horrendously unsafe and I'm on the top floor so my best option for surviving was actually seeking shelter at the television station :negative:

I asked the GM if he minded my hiding out there for a few minutes until the storms passed and he was cool with it. I went in and said hi to everyone and was greeted with a never ending parade of "come back" and "fix this" requests.
Lol, what the gently caress is with this guy.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It's a tough choice between a tornado and CE.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

larchesdanrew posted:

I avoided CE all night. But I did witness him sitting amidst an actual pile of NICs, systematically replacing each one in a machine, still trying to solve the same issue he had been working on for over 24 straight hours.

I imagine a disheveled, frazzled, smelly hobo of a man, sitting in a pile of circuit boards, clearly out of his mind, broken, and mumbling to himself that he's just gotta find one that's not broken. Surely, one of these has to not be broken, and will fix this whole mess once he finds it and gets it plugged in.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

I imagine a disheveled, frazzled, smelly hobo of a man, sitting in a pile of circuit boards, clearly out of his mind, broken, and mumbling to himself that he's just gotta find one that's not broken. Surely, one of these has to not be broken, and will fix this whole mess once he finds it and gets it plugged in.

Somewhere in his hoarder pile basement he has some original first run Intel NICs that have just got to work!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The token must have fallen out of the ring somewhere, just gotta find it. It probably rolled under this pile of 256KB ram sticks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

larchesdanrew posted:

Below it, I wrote "$75k and my own department :)" and gave it back. He was not amused.

That's awesome. Would you have actually gone back at that rate/configuration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The token must have fallen out of the ring somewhere, just gotta find it. It probably rolled under this pile of 256KB ram sticks.

I thought it was funny when I read it before I got into IT. Now that I'm working on my CCNA I find it hilarious

• Locked thread