Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

mrking posted:

you say this but i've seen plenty of line readings way worse than this.
(source: i live in hollywood)

Well he doesn't

It was just funny seeing him in the thread, being all like "well, show me your work and maybe then I'll listen to you :smuggo:" and then I - who know literally nothing about movies - can still see how he does simple line readings wrong

Like, he could have mirrored one of the actors shots and it would have made more sense. I'm starting to think he's the one that cut the Sandi/Gillian interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Fuzzy Modem that was a great meltdown.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I want to get it, but I also want to wait for the inevitable "game of the year" edition that has the DLC included.

I'm waiting for the inevitable price drop on steam. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great game and that I'll enjoy it (I loved the first XCOM), but who the hell pays 50 euros for a computer game :v:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Mr.Tophat posted:

Same

Let us embrace diversity, and let the evidence go to show

we tried

Indeed, I hope this guy doesn't get driven away from the thread, diversity of opinions is good.

StarbloodKiss posted:

I'm not quite sure really how much effort to expect since everything is as vague as it is. I just liked the idea though. And yeah, $2000 is a lot but really, its money I can spend since I wouldn't have spent it anyways. Most of money is spent on other people anyways so I just wanted to treat myself to something at least once. I don't really want a car, I do want a vacation but I can't just get up and go (school, work, pets), I don't want any gadgets or gizmos...

Really, my hobbies are learning how to draw, paint, occasionally play games with friends, cooking...I'm otherwise exceedingly average. So being able to just spend money on something was fun. But still meaningless. It isn't the value of money thats important entirely, just the act, I guess. I have never spent that much money on anything ever, so it was just fun thing. Thats all.

It's easy to make assumptions about the effort required for things because if it takes 12 months to get a spaceship and people can drop $2000 to get it instantly and blow you to hell then the game is a pay to win disaster. It's handy since it renders other scenarios irrelevant, the mechanics of an unpopular game are of no interest.

You seem like a cool and sensible person who just has that sort of money to throw around so fair enough for your decisions. Personally, I think CIG are dangerously close to intentionally taking advantage of lonely nerds, milking them for all they can by selling them vast dreams they have very little intention of fully delivering. There's a quote from Lesnick about how they'd start to feel really guilty about continuing to take people's money if they reached 100 million funding. I guess they changed their minds.

There's a storm on the horizon for all of this as they inevitably fail to meet expectations. I hope that yours are met but it seems like you'd be pretty relaxed about it either way so that's cool. A lot of people take video games way too seriously and the way the marketing for SC has been run feels immoral though. Beer was right when he warned Sandi that the consequences of this project failing could be really serious for some people and it would be entirely on their heads.

I could easily throw $2000 at a video game, but I don't want to give it to these people.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Illegal Move posted:

I'm waiting for the inevitable price drop on steam. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great game and that I'll enjoy it (I loved the first XCOM), but who the hell pays 50 euros for a computer game :v:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/
Scroll down to DLC, click “Show all”.
Attach a hamster wheel or something to your mouse so you don't get RSI while scrolling to the end of the list.

It's not much compared to some SC packages, granted, but still. :suicide:

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Can anybody help me out, posted in this very thread somebody was talking about a spaceship fighting game and one of the modes involved a large scale fleet combat where each team could launch a boarding ship that had to fly through hostile small fighter combat to land on the other team's capital ship and then fight their way through the capital ship to take the bridge. I think it was WH40k based but Eternal Crusade doesn't seem to feature any ship based combat. that game seemed really cool and i lost it in my sea of link history. or maybe it was a dream i can't seperate this thread from reality any more.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

spacetoaster posted:

Have you not seen the leaked stuff?

Effort post incoming:

Some squadron 42 spoiler stuff in first image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFr9qqL8-4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmpFCIGjEGo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLvpaYD0GYM

that looks like poo poo

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

it's cool that two backers started posting at the same, one was a weird alaskan probably on disability and the other is a normal person

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

StarbloodKiss posted:

Really, my hobbies are learning how to draw, paint, occasionally play games with friends, cooking...I'm otherwise exceedingly average. So being able to just spend money on something was fun. But still meaningless. It isn't the value of money thats important entirely, just the act, I guess. I have never spent that much money on anything ever, so it was just fun thing. Thats all.
Now this type of justification for wasting money on spaceships I can understand and respect

Like - I've broken something like $1500 worth of laptops in the last couple years because I'm an idiot who thinks internal modding of laptops is a good idea

I wouldn't recommend anyone else to grab the soldering iron to fix an optical slot internal USB hub for a laptop though

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
That said, internal USB hubs that fit laptop optical slots should totally be a thing

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

mrking posted:

Can anybody help me out, posted in this very thread somebody was talking about a spaceship fighting game and one of the modes involved a large scale fleet combat where each team could launch a boarding ship that had to fly through hostile small fighter combat to land on the other team's capital ship and then fight their way through the capital ship to take the bridge. I think it was WH40k based but Eternal Crusade doesn't seem to feature any ship based combat. that game seemed really cool and i lost it in my sea of link history. or maybe it was a dream i can't seperate this thread from reality any more.

I think the game is Angels Fall First? http://www.affuniverse.com/

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

EightAce posted:

Not to my knowledge , just a load of wierdos who think they are game developers, whatever the perception that CS etc give these fuckers the actual dev guys absolutely despise them.
Also I can categorically state that B4TBG email exchange is 110% legit and at least one person nearly got the bullet because of it.

Tell us about shotgun EightAce

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Thank you for letting me share commandos o9

I still remember when I first heard about Star Citizen, and it sounded really cool from far away. Then they started selling ships and I saw how hostile the threads here were towards people mocking ship purchases and I wondered how people could be so disconnected from reality when we'd already seen many early access and kickstarter projects failing or completely underachieving. Time hasn't exactly been kind to my perception of this project and the people running it, and has been nosediving rapidly since they started to seriously mistreat some of their supporters who dared to be critical.

I think I only really started to post when Sandi started emailing about posts here because it genuinely angered me. Now I'm at the point where I realise these walking garbage cans were irredeemable from the start and would be lousy attempts at human beings no matter what they applied themselves to.

mrking
May 27, 2006

Tarezax posted:

I think the game is Angels Fall First? http://www.affuniverse.com/

Thats the one thanks :thumbsup:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Illegal Move posted:

That wasn't the first XCOM :colbert:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

That wasn't the first XCOM :colbert:

Of course it was. Like Episode 1 was the first Star Wars.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

StarbloodKiss posted:

Overall, if SC fails it will be a shame. Not because of the game not being made, but simply because a lot of people are going to be hurt. The backers, developers, everyone. Personally, I'm going to laugh if only because of the folly and how ludicrous it is that I spent $2000 on jpeg ships. I don't know. I won't be mad, but it will make an entertaining story and an interesting lesson.

There are still ways to get most of your money out, you don't need to get caught out by this game unless for some reason you want to.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Is it coming out on console?
Please let it be coming out on console, please

Paging from page 1661, S42 coming out on consoles and being amazing, while the PU stays the turd it is (but PC exclusive) would be the greatest gently caress-you to the whales possible :allears:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
He deleted his reddit account?

https://redd.it/43s2j8

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

Of course it was. Like Episode 1 was the first Star Wars.

Actually, The Enhanced Edition of A New Hope was the first Star Wars

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the latest on the lawsuit?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

Butthurt snowflake spotted

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

AP posted:

ohhh I think Fuzzy went here to get self-affirmation. I think he is beginning to doubt his true beliefs lol

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
CIG Pulling Account Funds from Backers to Pay for 2013 Scams

quote:

A close friend of mine has run into an issue with CIG customer support that they seem to be unwilling to investigate. in 2013 when early early backers were getting some ships for cheaper than anyone else he was being gifted ships by people. He would melt the ship and send it back 24 hours later which would apply LTI and on some packages leave a small credit overage. This was done in the open and he advertised doing this for people on his youtube channel. None of these were behind closed doors sort of deal. In the time period he was conducting the transactions he also brought several people to the game, including myself which I know have about $350 spent on ships and some smaller items (He has come out of pocket somewhere north of $1700 on Star Citizen).
During this time he completed over 100 transactions. Now let's fast forward to December 2015. CIG customer support contacted him saying two of those packages were charged back by the other party post-transaction but he is liable. CIG claims he must pay them either by melting one of his current ships or adding funds to his account so they can recoup costs which are $450 or $475. Obviously in this situation there is a simple way to see who the other party is and he has all of the data (CIG as well) to back-up everything he has said. They have the transaction log that is kept and they can see the package that he melted and purchased and sent the new ship back to in addition to all of the other people. In addition they could view his Youtube channel and see that he was in fact doing this for people at this time. So to sum this up, one person buys a ship sends it to him, then does a charge back to their financial institution and he sends them a ship back which that criminal has now just obtained for free. Two to three years later CIG says, "Pay up for the other guy buddy."
He has tried to reason with customer support that they should investigate the issue and take it up with the other person and their financial institution. Obviously those other people must have accounts still or created new accounts and gifted those ships back out that he sent. They refuse to do anything other than continually ask him to melt his ships or add money to their account so they can recoup their costs. It seems like a reasonable solution but CIG will not do anything about it beyond tell him, "Sorry, pay up."
Shouldn't CIG also take into consideration to punish people in this manner means that asking him to pay for this is like saying "Send all your ships to a dummy account, melt them down, redistribute them, then do a charge back and you'll get off scot-free because we're not going to look at where they went."
I wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else had run into the same issue and what their resolutions were. I also have some doubts that the action CIG is taking is even legal especially considering the long timeline. Should he be contacting consumer groups for advice at this point? Considering the cost of going to court it probably isn't viable to have any real legal defense of his 'assets' unless some sort of miracle takes place and he finds a free lawyer.
Please keep this constructive as this is not a bash CIG post or trying to stir the pot. The interactions with CIG over the issue are going back around two months now so there is no known way to further the issue with them aside from him coming out of pocket and losing his prized Constellation. This community often has inventive solutions to problems and surely someone else has experienced this as well.
Footnote: This is definitely not a scamming organization contacting him. He has been using the RSI website to discuss this with CIG since he immediately thought this was some sort of scam/prank that was taking place.
Edit 1: Youtube video from 2013 that proves he was not scamming simply helping other people and himself - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scrrgP3p96o
Edt 2: Here is the hangar log in question. Names blocked out to protect privacy of those who did trades - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGN4etF1bAg&feature=youtu.be
Edit 3: As requested here are the customer service emails from CIG - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypHbogwIsFQ
Edit 4: If anyone still has any questions please ask! I am still trying to monitor this thread and respond to any reasonable requests for information, logs, or details inbetween taking care of the things I need to do tonight!

:gary:

The LTI laundering marketing gimmick (let's face it, it was a marketing gimmick), that brought in a lot of money to CIG rumbles on.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I was about to post that :argh:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

mrking posted:

the real crime here is that Chris has a nutritionist on staff and he isn't counselling :lesnick: This is another thing a publisher in a large corporation might be able to help deal with: healthy employees produce better work.

Well you see, ultimately, everybody is responsible for their own actions.
Seriously, if CR doesn't care about backers losing their family and spending their food/wellfare money on his game, why would he care about Ben eating himself to certain death?

A much more pressing issue than death by obesity, however, is that if Ben's blood sugar level is anywhere close to what I think it is, you can bet diabetic eye damage will come knocking, if it hasn't already. And since he only has 1 good eye as is, that should be one hell of a motivation to slim the gently caress down. But apparently it isn't.
This is why I have no pity for him. No matter what your preferred diet is (vegan, meat-lover, overeater, vegetarian etc.) when it starts affecting your health, you need to alter it. If you don't, you might as well die sooner than later to not put strain on the healthcare system.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AP posted:

The LTI laundering marketing gimmick (let's face it, it was a marketing gimmick), that brought in a lot of money to CIG rumbles on.

Does this mean people are getting successful chargebacks against CIG for payments made in 2013?

That's encouraging.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypHbogwIsFQ

LTI laundering which was something CIG encouraged and benefited from for a year, to the tune of millions is "buying pledges from a non-CIG source".

:gary: :gary:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AP posted:

lmao

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

I read his 2013 scams as referring to the year long end of LTI scam that CIG pulled, it took me a while to work out he's referring to the chargeback. Which, to be fair, I don't think you can call a scam.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypHbogwIsFQ

LTI laundering which was something CIG encouraged and benefited from for a year, to the tune of millions is "buying pledges from a non-CIG source".

:gary: :gary:

This is a pretty stupid situation.

Tell me, CIG, if the game launches and I buy something with CIG dollars or what ever the MTX currency is, then I sell that thing to someone, then they sell it to someone else, then they sell it on and so fourth for an arbitrary number of transactions, then I do a charge back, what happens?

From the sound of it it seems like some poor bastard that ended up with the specific item in their inventory at the time that I did a chargeback will find the item disappears.

That's a pretty loving stupid way to resolve this situation.

mrking
May 27, 2006

CIG should apply for nonprofit status. Think how much they could save if they just converted to the first church of space Sims

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
The reddit thread comments with links to proof this is happening are getting downvoted

:psypop:

Obviously evidence & proof isn't adding value to the discussion for Shitizens.

quote:

They're doing it for Youtube clicks. Look at every single bit of their "evidence"

AP fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 3, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

The reddit thread comments with links to proof this is happening are getting downvoted

:psypop:

Obviously evidence & proof isn't adding value to the discussion for Shitizens.

If you pretend something didn't happen it obviously didn't happen

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yo derek smart is this the sort of legal situation with CIG you wanted to help out with?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Seeing how they themselves call the mechanic "gifting", how can they claim he bought it from a third party? That would never hold up in court. Sadly the legal system favours not the innocent, but the one who can afford it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I love how obsessive these twats get about not giving advertising revenue or 'clicks' to things they don't like.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Fuzzy Modem posted:

WC 3
Freespace
Freespace 2
Starlancer
Freelancer
Independence War 2
X2

Star Citizen's flight model is far superior, to say nothing of its quality in other areas.

You lost me at freespace 1 and 2. Those games were incredible when it came to the flight model and felt "right". I still play fs2 every few years.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

yo derek smart is this the sort of legal situation with CIG you wanted to help out with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
OK, you guys should calm the gently caress down and think about this. If CIG were to just let those charges go, who would cover the material cost of the ship?

• Locked thread