Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

IAmTheRad posted:

Do cops get you for going at the speed limit for trucks, or cars?

Your GPS shows the truck speed limit, which is pretty much 55 MPH on any kind of highway and interstate in California (unlike Nevada).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Meis posted:

the right on red rule is pretty nice, but sometimes AI doing so don't give way properly. I'm assuming right on red has yield/stop sign rules? They should give way to traffic coming from the left? Because the AI will generally just plow straight into you while you're crossing an intersection on green if they're turning right. It's.. quite annoying. Same with AI occaisionally not realising you're there when lanes merge and smacking into the side of you.
Right on red should yield to anybody with a green. But it sounds inadvertently accurate to how real idiots drive around trucks.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Your GPS shows the truck speed limit, which is pretty much 55 MPH on any kind of highway and interstate in California (unlike Nevada).

I changed the GPS to show the car speed limit. It's easy to change in the gameplay settings.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ah, didn't know that. Either way, I'm pretty sure the cops will ding your truck for not going the speed limit for vehicles of its class. :v:

As far as idiots smashing into you on turns, all the trailers should have something similar to this. :v:

And yeah, people LOVE to leap out on a right on red in front of cars crossing in a green. Surely you'll slow down for them, they're in a hurry!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 3, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

IAmTheRad posted:

I changed the GPS to show the car speed limit. It's easy to change in the gameplay settings.

Similar to ETS2 you don't get penalized for going over the truck speed limit. Just the car limit.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I have not been dinged for a right on red yet, then again I have a habit of signalling all my turns so :shrug:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cowman posted:

Similar to ETS2 you don't get penalized for going over the truck speed limit. Just the car limit.

Really? I swear I've been caught by speed cameras going over the truck limit...

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Really? I swear I've been caught by speed cameras going over the truck limit...

maybe where the truck limit and the car limit are he same.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Some of these parking areas are really nice/tricky. Much better than the typical wide open areas of ETS.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks guys, I now know way too much about weighing stations. :v

RockNRoll Jesus
Jan 3, 2008

FIND YOUR GOD FUCKING FLASH DRIVE
This is one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played. I was heading west on US 395 trying to get to Redding during sunset. The sunlight was actually filtering between the trees as happens in real life. I'm not sure if that was in ETS2 or not but it was simply amazing, the coolest lighting effect I have ever seen. It really feels like driving in America. If they do the rest of the country with the same attention to detail as they did these two states, then this will be the most ambitious and epic game ever made. I wanna be on the I-70 viaduct crossing the Missouri river as the Kansas City skyline comes into view :getin:.

Speaking of that, to those concerned about the compression, if they do the whole country then that kind of compression will be absolutely necessary to complete coast to coast trips in a workable about of time. Also, right on red works if you stop at the light and are signalling. I did it right in front of a cop in LA and it was fine. The only FPS drop I've gotten is at a certain intersection in Redding and it's happened twice.

This game is the beginning of everything I wanted 18 Wheels of Steel to be.

Also while in Reno I saw a man shoot another man, only to kind of stare at him as he died.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I found this driving from Los Angeles to Las Vegas: weed dispensary discovered :2bong:

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 3, 2016

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
That poo poo's old, dude. Get with the times!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAAwTlCp3OE

Mr. Christ, what the gently caress is this horrible poo poo? I got linked to it from the original.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I hope somebody mods Crescent City in. I made the drive from LA up to Pelican Bay a few years ago and it was a nice zen experience. At least when AZ comes out I can recreate Phoenix to Vegas and back again.

All the detail in the scenery is great with how varied it is. ETS is awesome but you can only see wind turbines and sunflowers so many times before it all starts blurring together. Now I can see fields of cows, drive on top of dams, look out at the San Francisco bay. It's nice, especially since there's a literal foot of snow outside and I probably won't see the sun for another month or two where I live.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

RockNRoll Jesus posted:

The only FPS drop I've gotten is at a certain intersection in Redding and it's happened twice.

Every time I drive through Redding on I-5 and see the Cypress Ave. Exit I shudder and think of the time I did in a loving gulag of a pharmacy there. Now I can experience the feeling in a simulation as well!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I also have a couple of "is this wrong or is it just CA?" questions. Things that seem odd in other parts of the country.

First, are left turn lanes really rare in CA? Because I think they're really unrealistically rare in this game so far (I found one in/near Fresno).

And, is it common in CA to have (non-highway) speeds limits of x0 (e.g. 30)? Most US places I can think of have speed limits of x5 (25, 35, etc).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No, that is just SCS weirdness. Controlled left turns with dedicated turn lane(s) are the norm here. 30 or 40 MPH is an odd speed limit to see here as opposed to 25/35/45. A number of these highways, like I-80, are more than just two lanes as well. :v: I suddenly sympathize with the Europeans a lot more about the quirks of ETS' map.

There are some lovely small details though. The call boxes along california's highways stood out to me (though IIRC these are slowly being removed to save on CalTrans maintenance costs because everyone has cell phones these days), and this is another nice touch:

Stupid random stickers slapped onto road signs. :v:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Is it just me or is there no grapevine?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Whaaaaat?

You can see out the back of the truck now! Was this in Eurotruck at all? I don't remember anything not having additional poo poo back there.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

loving fake trucks hauling me back in! I'm thinking I'll buy this tonight and use some of my rare cash to get a better wheel. Is the Logitech G27 or what ever still the go to?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Lodin posted:

I will say this, the selection of radio stations is piss poor. I finally found one that was blasting some Guns N' Roses but then the Spanish DJ started shouting about Jesus. Is this normal in the US?

Sounds normal for socal, 90% spanish stations, one or two hip hop stations and a hits station.

Driving up I-15 to vegas you are down to 2 stations, one being "highway radio" with random country music and the other being a classics station.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There are some lovely small details though. The call boxes along california's highways stood out to me (though IIRC these are slowly being removed to save on CalTrans maintenance costs because everyone has cell phones these days)
I could fill the thread with little references that made me love this game even more. The first thing I did is buy a garage in Las Vegas, and I recognized several of the exact streets around it. I love that the Ivanpah solar plant is in the game along I-15 as well. They could have made the towers glow hilariously like they do in real life, but I love that it is there at all as the main landmark separating NV and CA.

Some of the actual name to fake name changes I noticed in Las Vegas:
  • Mandalay Bay - Mandela
  • Mirage - Miracle
  • Bally's - Ballsy
  • Caesar's Palace - Palace
  • Cromwell - Crownbell
  • Love (Cirque show) - Glove

I cannot express just how much they nailed the long desert drives. The section of 395 between Fresno and Tonopah is exactly what driving through Nevada is like in real life, aside from 395 not actually going in that direction. It's best experienced at night so it's just you and the shooting stars.

Harmburger posted:

Whaaaaat?

You can see out the back of the truck now! Was this in Eurotruck at all? I don't remember anything not having additional poo poo back there.

I assume that goes away once you can afford an actual sleeper. It is definitely helpful for us poors.

ShootaBoy posted:

loving fake trucks hauling me back in! I'm thinking I'll buy this tonight and use some of my rare cash to get a better wheel. Is the Logitech G27 or what ever still the go to?
If you can find one for a reasonable price between $200 and $300 or so, sure. The problem is that they are not being manufactured anymore, and the new G29 is hot garbage in terms of comparative value.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Geez they got a lot pricier since last I checked. Are there any good/decent sub $100 wheels these days?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
The G27 has never gone below $210 or so that I've seen in a very long time. It was usually $260 or $280. I wouldn't feel bad spending $300 with the mileage I've gotten out of mine.

Around $100, I'd try to find something used.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ShootaBoy posted:

Stealing blatantly form the PC Racing sim thread:

GhostDog posted:

Thrustmaster T2, "force feedback" was generated by two bungee cords pulling the wheel back to center. It was amazing.

You'll probably want a force feedback wheel sooner or later. Here's a list of commonly used wheels. Some might be discontinued but still available through ebay and the like. With some of these pedals and/or shifters are included, for some you have to spent extra.

Entry Level (< $200)
  • Logitech Driving Force GT
  • Logitech Driving Force Pro
Mid-Range Wheels (about $200 - $500)
  • Logitech G27/G25/G29
  • Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 & GT3
  • Fanatec CSR & CSR Elite
  • Thrustmaster T300
  • Thrustmaster TX
High-End Wheels (about $500 - $1000)
  • Thrustmaster T500RS
  • Fanatec Clubsport
The Great Beyond i.e. Direct Drive Wheels (> $1000)
  • SimXperience’s AccuForce
  • Leo Bodnar’s SimSteering System

A good set of pedals is not to be underestimated, especially pressure sensitive (as opposed to just travel sensitive) brake pedals. Fanatec's Clubsport Pedals ($300)and CSR Elite ($200) pedals are probably the go-to, quite expensive, plug-and-play choices right now.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

ManicJason posted:

I assume that goes away once you can afford an actual sleeper. It is definitely helpful for us poors.

Assuming the game doesn't make me buy one to get any sort of sleep(as it will allow you to buy a daycab), I'm definitely sticking with the daycab.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

FredMSloniker posted:

By contrast, less than 15 minutes away from me is a road I can drive 110 kph (70 mph) on, and the only thing slowing me down is the occasional traffic jam. Even semis can go 95 (60) on it. Roads like that exist in Europe, but they're rare.

This may have been picked up on already , but I had to reply when I saw this. In the UK, these roads are very very common. We call em motorways, but yeah they're essentially the country's blood vessels and I drive on them all the time. Certainly any truck driver over here uses them a lot. I've only driven in Europe (Those of us over about 25-30 here in the UK don't really consider ourselves European) a couple times, and used similar roads, but can't speak for how common they are.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Funso Banjo posted:

This may have been picked up on already , but I had to reply when I saw this. In the UK, these roads are very very common. We call em motorways, but yeah they're essentially the country's blood vessels and I drive on them all the time. Certainly any truck driver over here uses them a lot. I've only driven in Europe (Those of us over about 25-30 here in the UK don't really consider ourselves European) a couple times, and used similar roads, but can't speak for how common they are.

That was indeed a silly statement. There is an extensive network of motorways in Western Europe, and the speed limits typically range from 100 to 140 km/h for small vehicles, less for heavy lorries and buses.

This is a fairly typical autobahn stretch in Germany. Note the three lanes going the same way and the traffic barrier separating them from traffic going the other way.

Map of European motorways as of 2011. Not exactly rare, are they?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
You may have encountered Europe's networks of motorways in an obscure sim game named Euro Truck Simulator 2.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Funso Banjo posted:

Its strange i've got several motorways less than about 15 minutes drive away from me, granted I live in London but still. :whoptc:

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Nice: I was driving past some fields when a biplane crop duster flew by spraying the fields.

Not nice: Thousand bucks for going 31 on a 30 road :argh:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Hogo Fogo posted:

Nice: I was driving past some fields when a biplane crop duster flew by spraying the fields.

Not nice: Thousand bucks for going 31 on a 30 road :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7bj-so

ATS needs a classic rap station like the one on GTA5

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 3, 2016

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

I've just started playing both these games and being Australian makes both take a little bit to get used to.
I'm used to driving on the other side of the road from other games (namely GTA) but both German and American traffic lights are weird.

Germany doesn't have lights over the opposite side of the intersection so i have to look out of the corner of my eye to see when the yellow pops up in order to accelerate.
Both countries don't seem to have dedicated turning lights?

This is what I'm talking about

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm having a hard time getting used to driving in MPH. Here in Canada 40 (kph) is school zone slow. 40mph is going fairly quick.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You can change the units to more sensible ones in the Gameplay Settings.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Harminoff posted:

I got this wheel and while it is great it is also super loud with this game.

Turn off engine ffb it's a must all it is, is annoying

3rd in the driving force gt.. it's it's a good entry level wheel.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

ShootaBoy posted:

Geez they got a lot pricier since last I checked. Are there any good/decent sub $100 wheels these days?

The only wheels available in that price range are piece-of-poo poo Thrustmaster units (they make good wheels, just not that cheaply). It is kind of insane how expensive they've gotten since I bought my Driving Force GT; I would say your best bet is to pick up a secondhand one of those. You'll pay around $200 but it's the best value for money out there right now, in my opinion. If you want something new, Thrustmaster has a T150 wheel for $200 that's pretty highly rated, but you'll have to pay an extra $150 for the H-shifter unless you're fine with using paddles.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

No poo poo they sure have.. I think the issue is with the G27 gone the prices of decent entry wheels have gone up since your choice now is DFGT, or $500. When I was looking on amazon about 6 months ago to see what he DFGT goes for it was around 120.

The use to be around 120 or so.. Check your local craigslist..
I got mine for 75 with a "big boy" wheelstand..

Right now within an hour of me, There are 3 in the 120$-200 range with a stand.. the stand is usually 120 or so.. basically

edit.. look for "playstation wheel" as well sometimes they aren't listed as a driving force gt.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Hollenhammer posted:

I've just started playing both these games and being Australian makes both take a little bit to get used to.
I'm used to driving on the other side of the road from other games (namely GTA) but both German and American traffic lights are weird.

Germany doesn't have lights over the opposite side of the intersection so i have to look out of the corner of my eye to see when the yellow pops up in order to accelerate.
Both countries don't seem to have dedicated turning lights?

This is what I'm talking about

USA has those, but in my region they appear to be more common in densely-populated areas. Those across-intersection lights are 100% crucial for driving in Washington, DC since you're often surrounded by trucks and can't see the light that's directly in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is anyone playing this with the Steam controllers? I have neither this game, nor the controller (just a 360 one), but I'm genuinely curious as to how easy/difficult it would be to use.

Also, Sirius XM really should develop some sort of plugin that works with this game.