Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Long War has some stuff I like, but it also added entirely too many fiddly or dumb things for complexity's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Can't wait for people to run in to the game on a decent difficulty, trying to mimic Beag's style, and get absolutely loving murdered by the AI updates and patches submitted in the last month.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm wondering if the Normal mode has that hidden shot modifier that makes the game easier if you keep missing shots like the first one. It felt kind of lame after finishing my first Normal run in the original when I heard about that.

I would imagine that it does to some extent, just play classic

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Is there any place to get the game cheaper than $60 that isn't sketchy as gently caress?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I just got to the first Portent missions on EW Classic. Confirmed: Thin Men still gigantic assholes, but respond well to explosives :getin:

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Long War is full of good ideas that are hamstrung by the developers' hubris of hard for the sake of hard and shoehorning in things that don't exactly work in the game engine. That said I appreciate the things they influenced for XCOM 2.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
Didn't see this posted yet -- According to Steam's automated countdown, XCOM 2 will unlock midnight between Thu/Fri (i.e. 38 hours from now). That time is for southern US, not sure about other regions.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Pakled posted:

Is there any place to get the game cheaper than $60 that isn't sketchy as gently caress?

No. And when did $60 become too much for a game? I'm sure I bought PS:T and HOMM and poo poo for that price.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

a cow posted:

No. And when did $60 become too much for a game? I'm sure I bought PS:T and HOMM and poo poo for that price.

It's not "too much," but if I can legally get it for cheaper I see no reason not to jump on that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

a cow posted:

Don't try to shame people for trying to save a buck. What's wrong with you?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Pakled posted:

Greemangaming is probably your best bet, they have a promotion that lands you the digital deluxe version for 23% off, 5 bucks cheaper than just the base game with no discounts.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I paid $60 because I bought it off of steam like an idiot, too lazy to refund it and rebuy it off of GMG. I'm okay with giving Jake Solomon more of my money.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Didn't see this posted yet -- According to Steam's automated countdown, XCOM 2 will unlock midnight between Thu/Fri (i.e. 38 hours from now). That time is for southern US, not sure about other regions.

Firaxis has developed a tradition of midnight releases. They're last two big releases (Beyond Earth and Rising Tide) were both midnight releases. I think Starships was as well, and that might as well be a tablet game.

So when Firaxis says the game comes out on "Friday the whatever" (they also do Friday releases now), Firaxis means you will be able to play that game starting Thursday Night and you really want to take that Friday off. :v:

year199X posted:

I paid $60 because I bought it off of steam like an idiot, too lazy to refund it and rebuy it off of GMG. I'm okay with giving Jake Solomon more of my money.

Ditto, a mixture of laziness and convenience, the fact I'm flush with cash after doing way too much overtime, and wanting to support Firaxis and their XCom digital cocaine cartel made me just pay full price on Steam. Between pre-ordering and not searching for a deal, I'm a horrible consumer and I know it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Alkydere posted:

Firaxis has developed a tradition of midnight releases. They're last two big releases (Beyond Earth and Rising Tide) were both midnight releases. I think Starships was as well, and that might as well be a tablet game.

So when Firaxis says the game comes out on "Friday the whatever" (they also do Friday releases now), Firaxis means you will be able to play that game starting Thursday Night and you really want to take that Friday off. :v:

Do they usually adjust for region? Or does it all usually unlock at 00:00 EST all over the world or something?

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Norns posted:

Don't try to shame people for trying to save a buck. What's wrong with you?

I guess I'm getting a little annoyed at "I'm not pirating but I'm happy to buy it for half-price at release from anywhere"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Miftan posted:

Do they usually adjust for region? Or does it all usually unlock at 00:00 EST all over the world or something?

They adjust for region. It probably won't be exactly for your timezone but I remember BE and RT splitting the world up into 3-4 sections so someone new got their copy every 6-8 hours.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Alkydere posted:

They adjust for region. It probably won't be exactly for your timezone but I remember BE and RT splitting the world up into 3-4 sections so someone new got their copy every 6-8 hours.

Fair enough. I live in GMT so there's a fair chance it'll be adjusted for that.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Really, anybody who's trying to buy it on the cheap needs to use green man. That goes for any new release. I'm not one who usually goes for deluxe edition stuff, but for a game like this and cheaper than the standard $60? Yeah I'm in there

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

a cow posted:

I guess I'm getting a little annoyed at "I'm not pirating but I'm happy to buy it for half-price at release from anywhere"

Well I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, and also I used the savings to buy the drat overpriced season pass. Chill out.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, and also I used the savings to buy the drat overpriced season pass. Chill out.

I am super chill and not at all counting the seconds until the game unlocks!!!!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Greemangaming is probably your best bet, they have a promotion that lands you the digital deluxe version for 23% off, 5 bucks cheaper than just the base game with no discounts.

I looked it up and found some voucher codes for XCOM 2 on GMG, but they've apparently expired. Is there one that's still active?

E: Never mind, I found it. Just have to click the "VIP" link at the top of the main page when youre signed in.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 3, 2016

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Lewd Mangabey posted:

if im reading this right, on the west coast it comes out 9PM on THURSDAY?!?! hell yeeeeeaaaaaah

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Miftan posted:

Fair enough. I live in GMT so there's a fair chance it'll be adjusted for that.

If you're available to play earlier/really need to get your fix sooner you might be able to set up a VPN and convince Steam that you just moved to Japan for 24 hours. Of course Steam seems to get wiser to that with every release (do NOT run Steam in online mode without the VPN activated until your actual unlock time has passed or the game will re-lock until you should get it normally).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Alkydere posted:

If you're available to play earlier/really need to get your fix sooner you might be able to set up a VPN and convince Steam that you just moved to Japan for 24 hours. Of course Steam seems to get wiser to that with every release (do NOT run Steam in online mode without the VPN activated until your actual unlock time has passed or the game will re-lock until you should get it normally).

I'm not worried, I'm in uni for pretty much all of Thursday, and by the time I'm home I have to be up for work in 6 hours. There's no way I'm playing before friday afternoon anyway. I was mostly curious I can start downloading Thursday night and have it ready for me to play when I get home from work on friday!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I just tried to play Enemy Unknown for the first time in years on Classic and got wiped on the first mission. Maybe I should try to get good before considering buying XCOM 2... Game looks great though, I am suitably hyped.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm a responsible adult and took friday, monday, tuesday and wednesday off to marathon the poo poo out of this game. I fear that by the end i'll forget to eat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Aaah, yes, now I remember why I didn't like Massive Chalice.

Nobody can hit anything for poo poo at range.

(yes, been playing other TBS games to satisfy me. Hard West good, Massive Chalice...okay... Dungeon of the Endless, great)

Speedball fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 3, 2016

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I gotta say, I don't really dig Beagle's method of blowing the poo poo out of everything. I guess the cover system really encourages it, but...

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

I'm a responsible adult and took friday, monday, tuesday and wednesday off to marathon the poo poo out of this game. I fear that by the end i'll forget to eat.

Drink water

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

What, does alcohol not count?

I'm not going to kill myself via xcom don't worry

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
E: way to act broken salr

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

AlternateAccount posted:

I gotta say, I don't really dig Beagle's method of blowing the poo poo out of everything. I guess the cover system really encourages it, but...

It's worth it for that moment when he runs out of explosives a pod and a half into a mission and quiet desperation starts seeping into his dulcet tones :allears:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Alkydere posted:

This is going to be once the game finishes preloading. Whenever it starts doing that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Sounds like it's going to probably be at Steam's update time, which is usually around 1:15pm, EST.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AlternateAccount posted:

It's primarily because explosives are 100% reliable and getting good at and consistently winning in the highest difficulties of strategy games is mostly a matter of minimizing risk. We don't even have to deal with the 10% chance of a rocket firing off into nowhere this time like in EU/EW.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
5am Australian eastern daylight. 5th of February for Australians, what madness is this? :monocle:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kanos posted:

It's primarily because explosives are 100% reliable and getting good at and consistently winning in the highest difficulties of strategy games is mostly a matter of minimizing risk.

Pretty much this. There's RNG everywhere in XCOM (and will be in XCOM 2). This isn't bad on its own since it's generally rather reasonably set up. However the enemy gets to roll more dice than the player. The player generally has better dice to roll, but the player needs to keep consistently winning the dice rolls, while the computer only needs to win one or two dice rolls to really screw over the player. Tossing grenades can either replace a potentially bad roll by damaging enemies directly, or improve multiple other rolls by removing cover.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Something I learned from playing EW is that grenades/rockets are specifically there to remove cover. On Classic it's also nice how a grenade will kill Sectoids and with a Grenadier will kill Thin Men, but as the game goes on the main use is to give you flanking shots on unsuspecting aliens.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a cow posted:

"if only everyone else could prove they Love The Product as hard as me, it makes me so angry"
Pretty loving stupid emotions to have here.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

a cow posted:

With the Canadian dollar so low... Seriously, I'm saving a solid additional 40% if I purchase helldivers, and that's the case with most games without regional pricing!

XCOM has semidecent regional pricing mind you, but if I purchased off steam I'd still be saving around 10% or so compared to if I were paying USD. Ended up being cheaper to use that 27% GMG coupon, but still.