Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about this, but if Gary put on a slightly effeminate tone he could do a decent impression of America's favorite former DA Ken Kratz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

!!!

Mike Adamle is is a good interviewer and Malibu is a most excellent subject for an interviewer.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Bug Squash posted:

I think Banjo-Kazooie gets more flak than it deserves due to Rare's later games doubling down on the worst parts of the game. BK itself is light enough that its problems don't really drag it down the way it does the sequel.

I also think the games press was explicitly more masculine or "bro-y" at the time so they naturally had to reject a game full of pseudo-muppets spewing gooble-gobble speak.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobservo posted:

I also think the games press was explicitly more masculine or "bro-y" at the time so they naturally had to reject a game full of pseudo-muppets spewing gooble-gobble speak.

It was exceedingly well-received though?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I DEFINITELY remember some advertisements for TOUGH GUY GAMES wherein some military space marine or whatever was blasting through cutesy mascot-type characters back in the day.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Earthbound in particular was mocked for its cartoony, flat shaded art with people saying it was too cute or looked like a NES game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MinibarMatchman posted:

wondering what the current WOFF schedule for this year is now...I keep foolishly hoping No More Heroes

Oh God yes please, I know it's not a masterpiece by any means but it's a cool game that more people should talk about.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

bobservo posted:

I think this is a factor but also, those designs are the worst. They look like cell phone mascots for discredited wireless companies. I love cartoony poo poo but there has to be artistry to it. Banjo Kazooie is the Pita Pit of character designs.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
This new Exquisite Suffering may be the peak. I keep having to stop and rewind to hear it over my laughter.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ohvee posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about this, but if Gary put on a slightly effeminate tone he could do a decent impression of America's favorite former DA Ken Kratz.
Yeah I couldn't help noticing this, either.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Captain Invictus posted:

I DEFINITELY remember some advertisements for TOUGH GUY GAMES wherein some military space marine or whatever was blasting through cutesy mascot-type characters back in the day.

BattleTanx?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWi8rqL0hEs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well I guess that counts, I more meant in magazines.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
You may be thinking of ads for Ty, The Tazmanian Tiger.

No, really.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

It was exceedingly well-received though?

I think so, but the post-release conversations were negative to the point that I felt a little weird about renting it as a teen. Games were largely seen as being for kids back then, so journalists tended to overcompensate by lashing out at anything with kiddie appeal.

(Note: I read EGM and Next-Gen in the '90s, and they were a little more snobbish than most gaming mags of the time.)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I guess I never experienced that since at the time I mostly read UK gaming mags which weren't very gung ho about that stuff

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ahahaha

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Idle Thumbs is back to being good again. More Nick is helping. His Mum's diary stuff he read out recently was legitimately funny and touching.

Idle Weekend is great.

Really though, I'm mostly just appreciating the quality and uh listenability <ugh> of the stuff I go through on a weekly basis. Sure, I rag on Daft Souls but it's still pretty slick.

I recently tried to get into some podcasts for the miniatures game Guild Ball and there's heaps of them but they're all absolutely unlistenable for various reasons. lovely audio, lovely injokes, HURR HURR I'M A BLUFF NORTHERNER lovely presenters, utterly soporific casters with Kirk-style speech patterns, or just unbearably loud and obnoxious australians - truly it runs the full gamut of godawful shite.

So what I'm saying is we have loads of good videogaming podcasts and we should be happy :)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have to take issue with the Kane & Lynch discussion on Idle Weekend, it was a bit of a disingenuous one-sided argument to paint them as misunderstood gems that no one liked just because the main guys are bad people and everyone wanted a generic power fantasy or whatever. There is such a thing as just believing they are genuinely bad, boring, lovely games without any redeeming qualities. The first game is atrocious, the second one at least has the art style going for it (which I will absolutely grant it), but it's not much better in my opinion. I take issue with this notion because I went in wanting to like both games, and found them to be cynical messes of ideas where nothing came together in any even remotely interesting way. I also don't generally have a problem with a game not having "perfect" controls for what it does, I like Silent Hill a lot which is a series that's predicated on your protagonist being a useless poo poo who's a pain in the rear end to move around, but that works for those games.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I have to take issue with the Kane & Lynch discussion on Idle Weekend, it was a bit of a disingenuous one-sided argument to paint them as misunderstood gems that no one liked just because the main guys are bad people and everyone wanted a generic power fantasy or whatever. There is such a thing as just believing they are genuinely bad, boring, lovely games without any redeeming qualities.

Yep, those games are just bad.

I have no problem if some people like them, but suggesting that anyone who doesn't like them only doesn't because of some spurious plot-related reasons is dumb.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I give the first game a pass because it was the Freedom Fighters game I'll never see again and the second game gets a pass for decent set pieces and everything crumbles around you like paper. They exist alongside Dead to Rights, 50 Cent, Stranglehold, Wet, even the Bionic Commando reboot and Binary Domain. They're playable... And I didn't really have any frustrating moments so yeah. They exist and aren't offensive.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Damnit, Gary. I know I'm days late to this, but it'd be "The Pretty Dogs Are Going to Hell".

That stupid tagline is gonna bother me all night if I say nothing.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

Damnit, Gary. I know I'm days late to this, but it'd be "The Pretty Dogs Are Going to Hell".

That stupid tagline is gonna bother me all night if I say nothing.

Pretty, pretty good.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

Idle Thumbs is back to being good again. More Nick is helping. His Mum's diary stuff he read out recently was legitimately funny and touching.

Recent Idle Thumbs helped keep me sane and entertained my first day in hospital with dengue fever (which was also my birthday! :v: )

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yes idle thumbs has been great recently. I have to say that if both the idle thumbs/weekend people are finding it hard then I probably just won't bother with the witness. Would it be worth looking up a play through on youtube? I enjoy hearing about clever mechanics etc.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jippa posted:

Yes idle thumbs has been great recently. I have to say that if both the idle thumbs/weekend people are finding it hard then I probably just won't bother with the witness. Would it be worth looking up a play through on youtube? I enjoy hearing about clever mechanics etc.

I don't think watching someone play that game would be even remotely entertaining but I dunno go for it I guess

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think watching someone play that game would be even remotely entertaining but I dunno go for it I guess

I really know nothing about it apart from hearing people vaguely describe it while trying to avoid spoilers. I suppose what I mean is I would be interested in watching some one from a game design background play through it in a condensed way and discuss why it is good/bad. Sort of like a podcast section but on video.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm probably just going to play it with a walkthrough handy, once it gets into the <$10 price range. I've gotten a pretty good idea over the years of how long I can spend thinking about a puzzle before it stops being fun and I'm more than willing to look up a solution and move on to the next thing once I hit that point.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jippa posted:

I really know nothing about it apart from hearing people vaguely describe it while trying to avoid spoilers. I suppose what I mean is I would be interested in watching some one from a game design background play through it in a condensed way and discuss why it is good/bad. Sort of like a podcast section but on video.

When this exists I'll let you know

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I just got the end of the latest episode we need to know what happened to the bear.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Jippa posted:

I just got the end of the latest episode we need to know what happened to the bear.

Keep listening?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

Keep listening?

Whoops.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm probably just going to play it with a walkthrough handy, once it gets into the <$10 price range. I've gotten a pretty good idea over the years of how long I can spend thinking about a puzzle before it stops being fun and I'm more than willing to look up a solution and move on to the next thing once I hit that point.
The reward for completing puzzles in The Witness is more puzzles, and usually by having someone else give you the solution you're losing out on the knowledge to solve the next puzzle, or a puzzle hours from now.

It's like playing Hexic and showing someone the board and asking them how to make a match. At that point there's really not much point in playing the game.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Akuma posted:

The reward for completing puzzles in The Witness is more puzzles, and usually by having someone else give you the solution you're losing out on the knowledge to solve the next puzzle, or a puzzle hours from now.

If the puzzles in The Witness are so unintuitive that the amount of thinking about a puzzle that gets me to give up on it, plus the solution itself, is not enough for me to discern the rules or techniques the puzzle was attempting to teach me, then the puzzles in The Witness are garbage. I haven't heard much in the way of people calling the puzzles garbage, so I'm pretty sure that's not going to be a problem.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

For reference, there's two generalized types of puzzles in the witness

there's puzzles where the challenge is in figuring out what to do, like all the info is laid out onscreen and the difficulty is in intuiting what the solution that satisfies the rules they give you are

those puzzles you both can't and shouldn't spoil because any failure point is on you , and the dude is right that once you are given a solution it has a knock-on effect where you'll be at a disadvantage moving forward. they're also the best puzzles in the game

the second type of puzzle are simon says puzzles, where they display the route they want you to take but the difficulty is in figuring out where that display is or how to access it. those puzzles both suck in general and have difficulty in the failure point being the game itself, because they're all about twice as long as they need to be and it's very clear what exactly you have to do, the frustration lies in not being able to read the game's fuckin mind for what exact pixel you should be hunting for

you can spoil the second type of puzzle all day, as long as you know what the gimmick is (and that's what that puzzle type is, an overextended gimmick) there's no greater knowledge one learns

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jippa posted:

I was really hoping that they just left it and we'd hear it all the way through the next Video Games Hot Dog recording.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

For reference, there's two generalized types of puzzles in the witness

there's puzzles where the challenge is in figuring out what to do, like all the info is laid out onscreen and the difficulty is in intuiting what the solution that satisfies the rules they give you are

those puzzles you both can't and shouldn't spoil because any failure point is on you , and the dude is right that once you are given a solution it has a knock-on effect where you'll be at a disadvantage moving forward. they're also the best puzzles in the game

the second type of puzzle are simon says puzzles, where they display the route they want you to take but the difficulty is in figuring out where that display is or how to access it. those puzzles both suck in general and have difficulty in the failure point being the game itself, because they're all about twice as long as they need to be and it's very clear what exactly you have to do, the frustration lies in not being able to read the game's fuckin mind for what exact pixel you should be hunting for

you can spoil the second type of puzzle all day, as long as you know what the gimmick is (and that's what that puzzle type is, an overextended gimmick) there's no greater knowledge one learns

This is the opposite of reality BTW. The puzzles where the solution is in the environment around the player are the good ones and shouldn't be spoiled, the ones where you know the rules perfectly well but it's just gently caress-you difficult are not

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Jippa posted:

This week plot twist
https://youtu.be/cNgxyL5zEAk

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

This is the opposite of reality BTW. The puzzles where the solution is in the environment around the player are the good ones and shouldn't be spoiled, the ones where you know the rules perfectly well but it's just gently caress-you difficult are not

I think it's a subjective thing. I really liked the forest and pyramid sections but now I'm stuck on some of the more elaborate tetris puzzles and it's just a huge process of knowing exactly how it works, but the mental gymnastics require me to spread notes around the room just so I can find the right configuration. I tried doing it in photoshop as well and IMO that's too much work for one puzzle when there are like 700 of them.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 5, 2016

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The realization that this is how these puzzles work is a great moment and you should spoiler that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Hakkesshu posted:

<snip> but now I'm stuck on some of the more elaborate tetris puzzles and it's just a huge process of knowing exactly how it works, but the mental gymnastics require me to spread notes around the room just so I can find the right configuration. I tried doing it in photoshop as well and IMO that's too much work for one puzzle when there are like 700 of them.

The Tetris puzzles are my favorite in the game I think, much better than the dumb audio puzzles.

Also, I've been using this to help me not kill so many trees while playing this game. Works great. http://polarski.cz/graph_paper/

On the subject of podcasts, I tried listening to Polygon's new one, CoolGames, Inc. Despite enjoying most of Griffin's stuff I couldn't finish the episode. Anyone else listen to it?

EC fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 5, 2016

• Locked thread