Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
Rhys Darby's character is Guy Mann, because of course it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

JetsGuy posted:

If someone could give me a link to a good quality one I'll definitely do it.

If you wanted to copy the episode, you honestly would want a crappy low-quality one.

The crappy ringtone versions of songs are always more amusing than just a recording of the actual song.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

I had to look it up because it was bugging me, Tithonus was a Vince Gilligan episode.

That guy's a hack!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

"I felt the need to get a job. On the second day of my job, I realized I hated my job and wanted to quit. Then I remembered that I needed my job so I could have a mortgage."

KILL ME MULDER

Such a great episode.

This reminded me a lot about the Somehow Satan Got Behind Me episode of Millennium where the demon talks about how just letting people do their mundane lives is enough to make them drat themselves.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Chairman Capone posted:

This reminded me a lot about the Somehow Satan Got Behind Me episode of Millennium where the demon talks about how just letting people do their mundane lives is enough to make them drat themselves.

Is Millennium streaming anywhere?

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Just realized that Guy's outfit and hat are the same that Kolchak wore. (inspiration for X files)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

That guy's a hack!

Obviously, they didn't even bring him back for the miniseries!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Obviously, they didn't even bring him back for the miniseries!

I'm kind of surprised honestly. I bet he watches the new ones and gets The Hunger.

Also,interestingly to me at least, each episode this season is directed by its writer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They asked him back and he wanted to contribute, but Better Call Saul Season 2 was in production same time as this miniseries.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Guy Mann.

GUY MANN.

What a great episode; Rhys Darby killed it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Mulder gets a Smartphone and the first thing he does is sideload his 90s copy of Pure Moods onto it for the sick ringtones.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
By the way, someone mentioned it earlier, but I want to second that if you guys liked Guy Mann you should check out What We Do in the Shadows. It's a "documentary" about Vampires living in New Zealand and features a small part of Rhys Darby as a werewolf played very similar to his character in this episode.

The biggest scene from it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxt2DSWS_eI

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Oh my loving god this episode was the best poo poo.
A lot of the x-files episodes I watched as a kid were the humorous ones like Jose Chung and Small Potatoes, and this is right up there with them.

I'm still going to hope against hope that one of the serious episodes can be as high quality as this one, they've been a little rough.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

FilthyImp posted:

Mulder gets a Smartphone and the first thing he does is sideload his 90s copy of Pure Moods onto it for the sick ringtones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFLRHPUWBI8

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 3, 2016

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Mange Mite posted:

If you wanted to copy the episode, you honestly would want a crappy low-quality one.

The crappy ringtone versions of songs are always more amusing than just a recording of the actual song.

I no joke think I have Xfiles.midi somewhere on an old IDE HDD.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
ahahaha It's amazing how many old Tripod websites still exist.

I could go with Mulder singing the theme to I Dream of Jeanie! http://tvshrine.com/xfilesshrine/xm-sounds.htm

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat scully still got it

Good episode. Kumail was really good in it

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I hope they don't kill off her second dog :(

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Upon a rewatch, I noticed in the motel when Guy is taking off his shirt, you can totally see the velcro they used for the prop shirt.. They didn't even try to hide the velcro by making it the same color as the shirt.

I think it makes me enjoy the episode more, comedy X-Files gives no fucks.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope they don't kill off her second dog :(

What kind of dog is that anyway

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My wife, who only has a fleeting memory of The X-Files from when she was a kid, turned to me during this episode and said: "This isn't scary at all, is it trying to be a comedy now? This is so goofy and dumb."

I told her she must really not remember the show at all. I loved it.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Ok I loved it all. I'm back to old stuff again and oh man :swoon: young Mulder

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PassTheRemote posted:

Upon a rewatch, I noticed in the motel when Guy is taking off his shirt, you can totally see the velcro they used for the prop shirt.. They didn't even try to hide the velcro by making it the same color as the shirt.

I think it makes me enjoy the episode more, comedy X-Files gives no fucks.

I watched it again last night with some friends and it really benefits from a second watch. All the "clues" are right out there in the open and especially the very first part of Guy Mann's monologue, when you originally didn't know what the gently caress he was talking about, makes so much more sense and the jokes are way funnier.

Also there are tons of throwaway sight gags, like when Mulder looks through the stuffed head back into his room, guess what kind of animal it is.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Miranda posted:

Ok I loved it all. I'm back to old stuff again and oh man :swoon: young Mulder

Meeeeeeeeeee too

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That episode was simply amazing.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Chairman Capone posted:

That's another Darin Morgan one. He had a second Jose Chung episode in Millennium that was a lot of fun to watch and is also littered with references to show runners and actors.

edit: My wife and I were marathoning the original series and movies to prep for the miniseries (rewatching it for me, first time for her) and this episode was so much fun. The way Darin writes also gives the characters such much personality.

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 3, 2016

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I don't see how they can avoid restarting the series now for real. They're hitting all the notes they need to with their main audience, and then some.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Spiky Ooze posted:

I don't see how they can avoid restarting the series now for real. They're hitting all the notes they need to with their main audience, and then some.

The actors doing other stuff. I can see us getting a mini series every now and then, but not an actual full season.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
They should go the movie franchise route so we can have two hour Darin Morgan adventures.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

6-10 episodes every 12-18 months would be ideal. It's not a giant time commitment on anyone's part. Fox can use them to bridge gaps in programming with a guaranteed ratings bump. It also keeps it from disappearing up it's own as with on the fly mythology.

Maybe in two or three years that could build to a feature film. But that's not strictly necessary.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

JetsGuy posted:

He also wrote the S2-S3 three parter, which I liked a bunch.

Skinner threatening CSM in Paper Clip is possibly my favorite scene of the entire series.

zoux posted:

Oh yeah, the first mention is absolutely a joke by Morgan, or a meta-commentary on how Dana Scully is a character so of course she can't actually die, but I believe that the X-Files was one of the first widely discussed on the Internet shows, so the producers probably picked up on this popular fan theory and gave it a couple of shout outs.

I was actually on the Fox forums during the original run and they were just as terrible as you probably think. They spawned the concept of shipping, for gently caress's sake.

I'm also pretty sure the actors have said they came back because it wasn't a full 24 episode season because they didn't want to do that. Occasional truncated seasons that don't overstay are fine with me. Otherwise you get them trying too hard and coming up with bad filler episodes.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I'm also pretty sure the actors have said they came back because it wasn't a full 24 episode season because they didn't want to do that. Occasional truncated seasons that don't overstay are fine with me. Otherwise you get them trying too hard and coming up with bad filler episodes.

I'm all for shirt mini series for X-Files.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Speaking of, Darin Morgan is this time's guest on The X-Files Files

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sticklefifer posted:

Skinner threatening CSM in Paper Clip is possibly my favorite scene of the entire series.

EDIT: ---

EDIT2: No, I was right the first time. Long day.

Yes, CSM being a smug dick and then Skinner opening the door to reveal the Navajo and saying "pucker up and kiss my rear end" owned.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 3, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

I love the smug look of CSM as he's like "what are you gonna do about it? everything is gone" and Skinner just opens the door to reveal Navaho man.

Owned, CSM. :smug:

Skinners best moment is when they visit him at home with Kychek. He was so happy beating the poo poo out of him. Also Skinner vs X.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bobkatt013 posted:

Skinners best moment is when they visit him at home with Kychek. He was so happy beating the poo poo out of him. Also Skinner vs X.

Skinner vs X is my favorite.

Especially the end when he's just bloodied and goes to Mulder's apt like that.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I remember reading this really interesting synopsis of "memoirs" that posited that it was a mix of reality and fantasy. That whenever CSM was smoking it was actually him but when he wasn't it was fantasy him.

Though I think the most subtle thing that a lot of people completely missed is at the end of it when Frohike says he got most of his info from "some terrible magazine".

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Exploder posted:

"What I don't want to see is the Buffalo Bills winning the Superbowl. As long as I'm alive, that doesn't happen."

The Cigarette Smoking Man is an enigma. We don't know much about him in the first couple seasons, but we come to learn that he is a leader, of sorts, of The Syndicate. The Syndicate is a shadow government that has a major hand in all world events, and controls and covers up the alien conspiracy.

Omg, this is young old Alec Sadler from Continuum.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Ravane posted:

Omg, this is young old Alec Sadler from Continuum.

CSM is everywhere in all timelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
CSM was a Nazi in past lifes... twice!

• Locked thread