Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Dm: you detect that your thoughts are clouded
Yoda: Clouded by the dark side are they?
Mace: yeah that's a Sith ability.
Dm: you fail your saving throw
Yoda: hosed, i am

:colbert:

quote:

how is the sheev having a super special ability the

It's not that surprising that someone who can do something with the force that nobody else can can also do a second thing that nobody else can, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tezzor posted:

"Here's my theory for why what's going on and how there's a lot of hidden depth and complexity and the Jedi were flawed heroes"
"Actually your theory makes no sense and the most official explanation is some dumb deus ex machina RPG poo poo"
"What?? That's ridiculous. If that were true the prequels would be bad!"

You're soooo close

how does your fanfiction make the prequels bad?

also explain this "most official explanation" nonsense

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tezzor posted:

"Here's my theory for why what's going on and how there's a lot of hidden depth and complexity and the Jedi were flawed heroes"
"Actually your theory makes no sense and the most official explanation is some dumb deus ex machina RPG poo poo"
"What?? That's ridiculous. If that were true the prequels would be bad!"

You're soooo close

It's kinda cool how canon has become this straitjacket. Sherlockians conclude that Watson was married anywhere from once to six times and this debate is perpetual, TVTropesians like Goatstein slip their brain into the manacles and sneer at those who don't.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

This is dumb because they crushed anyone who openly disobeyed them.

Crushed them how? Using what? I doubt the military would serve someone they thought was evil.

That's sorta the point of the Death Star. To give the Emperor maximum killpower with the minimum amount of humans necessary to run it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DARPA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ESOrF_u1hg

Mace barely working up a sweat is not equivalent with "channeling the dark side". He doesn't even seem particularly upset during the fight. Perhaps concerned during a few sequences. Certainly not close to Luke's temper tantrum while fighting Vader.

The dark side isn't 'being angry'. It's acting in a way that's unjust.

That's what it means to be 'clouded by the dark side'. Yoda is clouded by the dark side when he chooses to help fight an unjust war.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Waffles Inc. posted:

how is the sheev having a super special ability the

1. most official
2. logically coherent

1. It's the one supported in the novelization and the EU.
2. Causality. Palpatine was already a Sith Lord by the time the Jedi acted like retards and were talking about their clouded minds and diminished use of the force. Them acting this way predates their involvement in the Clone War, by years or decades, and in fact in the third movie after they did all the Evil Dark Side Things you think they did, they appear less oblivious, not more.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All this got me thinking that a more interesting conflict for the new trilogy could have been, instead of a bigger conflict across the galaxy an internal one within the new jedi order. The main conflict of the new trilogy would then be between Traditionalists who want the Jedi to go back to what they used to be and the Reformers who want to create a new Jedi Order free of the mistakes of the old one, with Luke sympathizing with the Reformers but unwilling to impose his views on the new generation.

At the same time the conflict would be a metaphor for the series itself, stuck between reverence for the past and a desire to blaze new paths.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Some people, when their line of thinking leads them to crude conspiracy theories, conclude that they have set off down the wrong path. Others insist that they must be right, and it is the external universe which is wrong.

This is the difference between "Sheev Palpatine is a racist stereotype, that's real, because Star Wars is bad" and "Magic RPG powers are a metaphorical representation within this novel targeted at adolescents."

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
SMG and Shrieking Fatbody Who Tells People to Kill Themselves At The Drop of a Hat I can see your posts occasionally under the reply field and you can stop addressing me directly because I'm not going to read what you have to say let alone respond to you

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Serf posted:

Crushed them how? Using what? I doubt the military would serve someone they thought was evil.

That's sorta the point of the Death Star. To give the Emperor maximum killpower with the minimum amount of humans necessary to run it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Empire

It's all in the stories and lore.

"During the reign of the Empire, countless star systems were conquered and dissident actions ruthlessly stamped out by the rapidly expanding Imperial Army and Navy. "
"They never really mention it in the movies, but in the Empire, after Palpatine seized power, aliens were slowly being reduced to the status of second class citizens."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.393840-What-makes-the-Empire-in-Star-Wars-evil

And tons of other stuff. The military was theirs and they used it to silence anyone who didnt join.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tezzor posted:

SMG and Shrieking Fatbody Who Tells People to Kill Themselves At The Drop of a Hat I can see your posts occasionally under the reply field and you can stop addressing me directly because I'm not going to read what you have to say let alone respond to you

this is a deeply ironic and weird post

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tezzor posted:

A pretty good sign that you're on the wrong side is your need to preemptively shut down disagreement, rather than trust in your own brain.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Empire

It's all in the stories and lore.

"During the reign of the Empire, countless star systems were conquered and dissident actions ruthlessly stamped out by the rapidly expanding Imperial Army and Navy. "
"They never really mention it in the movies, but in the Empire, after Palpatine seized power, aliens were slowly being reduced to the status of second class citizens."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.393840-What-makes-the-Empire-in-Star-Wars-evil

And tons of other stuff. The military was theirs and they used it to silence anyone who didnt join.

That's all well and good, but do you honestly think people would serve someone that they thought was evil? People could rationalize and explain away their motivations to do evil things, sure. I mean, that's actually what happened in-universe. Bill Stormtrooper doesn't wake up in the morning, put on his armor and walk out of the barracks thinking "gee it sure is great to be evil and I can't wait to go out and subjugate some aliens."

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Let's check with the ultranerds to find out if the "religious freedom" argument holds water

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/arrest-of-palpatine-legal.50015255/

quote:

According to the Darth Bane novels, the Sith were a "banned organization".

oh

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

None of the EU or novelizations are canon anymore so they can't even be held up as "the most official explanation" anymore, if they ever could be to begin with.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serf posted:

Professional militaries serve the state, not the person controlling it. Their structure makes it easy to replace people who don't go along with state policy.

Then there are people like this guy, a professional soldier who tried to remain in control of the German military by out-Naziing the Nazis and ultimately failed because he was an outsider, despite being put in that position by Hitler himself.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tezzor posted:

Let's check with the ultranerds to find out if the "religious freedom" argument holds water

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/arrest-of-palpatine-legal.50015255/

oh

It's kinda cool how Star Wars discussions bring out opinions like "banning religions is cool" and "slavery isn't bad" and "I need to have it explained to me that child molestation is wrong." It's a perfect crossover between sci-fi fandom's often totally passive engagement with media and mass popularity.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I read every Tezzor post, and 'take them seriously'.

Also, how can you have a 'banned organization' that consists of only two people? That seems, like, below a minimum threshold.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Professional militaries serve the state, not the person controlling it. Their structure makes it easy to replace people who don't go along with state policy.

Then there are people like this guy, a professional soldier who tried to remain in control of the German military by out-Naziing the Nazis and ultimately failed because he was an outsider, despite being put in that position by Hitler himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MHusGl9BeM

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Effectronica posted:

It's kinda cool how Star Wars discussions bring out opinions like "banning religions is cool" and "slavery isn't bad" and "I need to have it explained to me that child molestation is wrong." It's a perfect crossover between sci-fi fandom's often totally passive engagement with media and mass popularity.

Your issue is that there is a bit of a difference between our world and the Star Wars universe. Sure, things like slavery and child molestation are bad, I dont think any movie/book etc would try to condone those. But with religion - its a little different here.

The Sith and Jedi each follow the force. They pull from the same source but each side uses it differently. The Sith ultimately use it for evil and abuse their strength. They murder without issue. For instance, Darth Maul killed an entire innocent village and even executes 5 people via hologram communication with the Jedi.

And you're saying, "well... the Sith might be good?"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What part of the movie did Darth Maul do that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

euphronius posted:

What part of the movie did Darth Maul do that.

Clone Wars series is officially canon.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Massacre_on_Raydonia

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 3, 2016

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Dream

quote:

The book's frame narrative and premise is that "after dabbling in radical politics", Adolf Hitler emigrated to the United States in 1919 and became a science fiction illustrator, editor and author. He wrote the science fantasy novel Lord of the Swastika in six weeks in 1953, shortly before dying of cerebral hemorrhage[2] (possibly caused by tertiary syphilis); Lord of the Swastika subsequently wins the Hugo Award and the "colorful uniforms" described therein become a regular feature of cosplayers at science fiction conventions. Hitler's other science fiction novels include The Master Race, The Thousand Year Rule, and The Triumph of the Will.

quote:

Lord of the Swastika is lauded for its qualities as a great work of heroic fantasy. To further hammer the point, in an early edition, actual science fiction writers wrote faux sincere "admiring" blurbs for Spinrad for the novel's back cover blurbs, praising "Hitler's" writing skills. Irony abounds in Whipple's review, as he singles out the mechanisms such as sheer force, midnight rallies, and phallic symbolism that in fact characterized Nazism's rise to power in Germany, blithely assuring us that such a rise would be quite ludicrous to contemplate in real life.[3] "After all", Dr. Whipple says, "it can't happen here."[4]

quote:

Backed by the army and the adoring multitudes, Feric sets about the great task of re-invigorating the military, ordering the production of tanks and fighter jets, the establishment of the Swastika Squad (SS)—a legion of the purest and most manly men that can be found via the "Classification Camps,"' which examine all citizens of Heldon (killing the Doms and sterilizing or exiling all relatively impure humans). After repelling a Zind attack through Wolack, Heldon annexes its western and southern neighbors, beginning with Borgravia. In the course of the Helderisation of its neighbors Jaggar orders, at the suggestion of Bors Remler, that all mutants are to be euthanised rather than exiled.

Months later, his scientists report that they are near to rediscovering the secrets of atomic bombs, but that Zind is making efforts to dig up relics of the Ancients, which might salvage its own complement of nuclear weaponry. Noting the damage such weapons had done, Feric orders such research ended, and determines to wipe out Zind and every last Dom before they can unleash the Fire. Soon enough, Zind begins to rally its troops from their reverse in Wolack. The final invasion of Zind is hard fought: the main Helder force, under the command of Lar Waffing, takes the southwestern oil fields needed for resupply, while the secondary force fights a delaying action against the vast bulk of the Zind army to the north towards the Zind capital, Bora. Needless to say, the forces of Heldon prevail and the Zind army is destroyed and burned, down to the last mindless "Warrior". The central city is reduced to a cinder in a firestorm (akin to that which engulfed Dresden in our world).

The last Dom, apparently a military leader, is discovered hunkered down in a bomb bunker. The Dom has anticipated defeat and, before Feric has the pleasure of killing him, triumphantly reveals that the Doms had salvaged and rearmed one of the ancient nuclear weapons. It is a doomsday weapon, and he triggers the failsafe. After Feric and his cohorts have evacuated Bora, a cobalt bomb detonates, and as the Dom planned, its fallout utterly corrupts the gene pool of Heldon. If any of its citizens, including Feric, reproduce, they will produce the mutants that they had previously sought to obliterate.

Feric orders the sterilization of the entire Heldon nation, including himself, and, in a final desperate gamble, orders the SS scientists to redouble their efforts to develop the next Master Race from cloning the perfect specimens of the SS. Eventually they succeed and millions of the new master race are produced in 'reproduction works' to complete the cleansing of the Earth. At the novel's close, Heldon has mastered interstellar travel. As a consequence, an initial starship, full of 300 of these seven-foot, blond, super-intelligent all-male SS clones in suspended animation, is launched into space to initiate Heldon's own galactic empire. The SS clones also have a clone of Feric to lead them. This inaugural rocket is launched on a voyage to Tau Ceti and will become the first of many.

Norman Spinrad posted:

To make drat sure that even the historically naive and entirely unselfaware reader got the point, I appended a phony critical analysis of Lord of the Swastika, in which the psychopathology of Hitler's saga was spelled out by a tendentious pedant in words of one syllable. Almost everyone got the point... And yet one review appeared in a fanzine that really gave me pause. "This is a rousing adventure story and I really enjoyed it," the gist of it went. "Why did Spinrad have to spoil the fun with all this muck about Hitler?"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

Your issue is that there is a bit of a difference between our world and the Star Wars universe. Sure, things like slavery and child molestation are bad, I dont think any movie/book etc would try to condone those. But with religion - its a little different here.

The Sith and Jedi each follow the force. They pull from the same source but each side uses it differently. The Sith ultimately use it for evil and abuse their strength. They murder without issue. For instance, Darth Maul killed an entire innocent village and even executes 5 people via hologram communication with the Jedi.

And you're saying, "well... the Sith might be good?"

I wrote a post about this earlier. There are religions in our world that are, for the vast majority of people's beliefs, evil. Their adherents even claim magical powers. So, should we kill all the LaVeyan Satanists and white-nationalist neopagans? Or is the difference that there's a certain percentage of people who have done bad things that belonged to this religion, or perhaps it's the precise nature of the magical powers that makes the moral difference?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Why would clouding people's minds be a Sith ability? That's a Jedi trick.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah, exactly. The importance of him being the Senate is that he has brought the entire state apparatus under his personal control by this point. The military, the civilian bureaucracy, the planetary governments, etc. all are his to command unless they opt out through violent rebellion.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I forget how sad Vader's breathing apparatus sounds when it's barely wheezing, as he asks Luke to remove the mask for him.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Effectronica posted:

I wrote a post about this earlier. There are religions in our world that are, for the vast majority of people's beliefs, evil. Their adherents even claim magical powers. So, should we kill all the LaVeyan Satanists and white-nationalist neopagans? Or is the difference that there's a certain percentage of people who have done bad things that belonged to this religion, or perhaps it's the precise nature of the magical powers that makes the moral difference?

Who cares about our world.

We don't have magic wizards enforcing their law upon people. It's your fault you can't separate the two.

In the world of Star Wars the Sith must be put down. This is an accepted fact.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
As usual, it all returns back to the droid slavery, because every character's version of 'democracy' excludes the droids. And what you get at the end of Episode 3 is the unwinnable battle between Obiwan's belief in democracy without justice and Anakin's belief in justice without democracy. The characters are unable to imagine a system that is both democratic and just.

That's the issue that haunts the entire series, as true universal democracy - the only thing that could truly defeat Palpatine - would involve freeing the droids.

Vintersorg posted:

We don't have magic wizards enforcing their law upon people. It's your fault you can't separate the two.

Lots of people believe this in our real world. They just call them the jews and/or muslims.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 3, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Yeah, exactly. The importance of him being the Senate is that he has brought the entire state apparatus under his personal control by this point. The military, the civilian bureaucracy, the planetary governments, etc. all are his to command unless they opt out through violent rebellion.

Which is why the majority of the galaxy (or at least what was the Republic, the movies are unclear on the boundaries) must believe that the Emperor is, at worst, roughly the same as the Republic was. It takes 19 years for a Rebellion to develop to the point where they can launch a meaningful strike against the Empire, so most people must have been okay with the situation.

All I'm saying is that it's not hard to see things from the perspective of Joe Galactic Citizen. The Emperor kept the galaxy safe from the evil alien Separatists, doing what those lazy Senators never could. Then the Jedi tried to take over, but he stopped them, and that's a good thing because they were crazy wizards with laser-swords. And heck, the Senate still exists, so it's not like democracy is completely gone or anything.

Then almost two decades later the Emperor dissolves the Senate and blows up Alderaan and people quickly wise up to what's been going on. The only reason his plan to completely dominate the galaxy fails is because of a two-meter wide hole and a Force-sensitive moisture farmer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

I forget how sad Vader's breathing apparatus sounds when it's barely wheezing, as he asks Luke to remove the mask for him.

Such great sound design there. Maybe the coolest sound effect of the whole series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Good book.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

"This is a rousing adventure story and I really enjoyed it. Why did Spinrad have to spoil the fun with all this muck about Hitler?"

In the world of Star Wars, the Sith are a danger for about 3% of the time, going by them disappearing for a thousand years and then Sheevy getting about 30 years of tearing up the galaxy. Now, you've got the eternal dodge of "You have come to a world called Gor, where slavery is OK", but diegetically, the Sith are, in all likelihood, less of a danger than supernovas.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Basebf555 posted:

Such great sound design there. Maybe the coolest sound effect of the whole series.

Ben Burtt is god.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serf posted:

Which is why the majority of the galaxy (or at least what was the Republic, the movies are unclear on the boundaries) must believe that the Emperor is, at worst, roughly the same as the Republic was. It takes 19 years for a Rebellion to develop to the point where they can launch a meaningful strike against the Empire, so most people must have been okay with the situation.

All I'm saying is that it's not hard to see things from the perspective of Joe Galactic Citizen. The Emperor kept the galaxy safe from the evil alien Separatists, doing what those lazy Senators never could. Then the Jedi tried to take over, but he stopped them, and that's a good thing because they were crazy wizards with laser-swords. And heck, the Senate still exists, so it's not like democracy is completely gone or anything.

Then almost two decades later the Emperor dissolves the Senate and blows up Alderaan and people quickly wise up to what's been going on. The only reason his plan to completely dominate the galaxy fails is because of a two-meter wide hole and a Force-sensitive moisture farmer.

It's easy to imagine a "first they came for the communists" situation happening, too. It will be interesting to see how (if at all) they handle this aspect of the galactic power transition in the upcoming anthology films. I say "if at all" because TFA is highly reluctant to explain anything except through vague visual allusion.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What's really bizarre in TFA is that, given everything we see in the prequels, the destruction of the Republic should be like "they blew up congress!" - a darkly comedic scene where we delight in evil, against our better judgement.

Instead, they take the ridiculous concept - only one step removed from executing Jar Jar onscreen - and play it as 9/11 and the holocaust mixed together. It falls totally flat, because nobody likes the Republic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What's really bizarre in TFA is that, given everything we see in the prequels, the destruction of the Republic should be like "they blew up congress!" - a darkly comedic scene where we delight in evil, against our better judgement.

When Canada burned down the capital (lol), they actually burned down all of America.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Instead, they take the ridiculous concept - only one step removed from executing Jar Jar onscreen - and play it as 9/11 and the holocaust mixed together. It falls totally flat, because nobody likes the Republic.

The threat doesn't feel real because by doing so all the First Order is doing is trying to destroy the backing-element of the Resistance, despite after that happening the Resistance doesn't really need to call upon the Republic fleet to help destroy Starkiller Base in the first place.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Tezzor posted:

1. It's the one supported in the novelization and the EU.
2. Causality. Palpatine was already a Sith Lord by the time the Jedi acted like retards and were talking about their clouded minds and diminished use of the force. Them acting this way predates their involvement in the Clone War, by years or decades, and in fact in the third movie after they did all the Evil Dark Side Things you think they did, they appear less oblivious, not more.

I find it so strange you keep pointing to the novelization as evidence when it actually totally opposes your view in this argument. Much of the novelization's word count is devoted to beating you over the head with "The Jedi have totally hosed up and lost their way, they indoctrinate kids and deprive them of the ability to healthily process human emotion, they pretty much lost the moment they decided to fight in a war, they're too attached to the Republic". Palpatine even plays the "freedom of religion" card in it. You look at this and ignore all of it in favor of promoting this weird "dark side ability" idea. Even the guy chosen to write the novel based on the movie disagrees entirely with your knee-jerk response to what the movie was "trying" to get across, and explains the concept in detail, yet you still think it's "fanon" that people are totally pulling out of their rear end, and even use this thing that totally disagrees with your interpretation as evidence of your interpretation. It's mind boggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

When Canada burned down the capital (lol), they actually burned down all of America.

You're missing the innate appeal of disaster movies and, say, Godzilla films. People want to see their country destroyed onscreen.

• Locked thread