Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
no GR is a terrible class, please more buffs Red Hook. Maybe 100% vs marked this time??????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Soothing Vapors posted:

While we're on the subject of pigmen and their quaint ways: if you guys have not done at least one torchless run in the warrens, I highly recommend it. Let the light die out naturally, don't snuff it. Make sure you have your headphones on.

:stare:

Do any other zones have stuff like that? I know the music gets more intense but that's about it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I mean, it's not really out of tone with the game. The way most traits are is that that they are either negative, or "bad" with a twist that makes them good. I feel like Nymphomania should be a "will only use the brothel while in town" but is instead "+20% stress reduction when using Brothel. I honestly don't know enough about nymphomania to know whether this is appropriate or not. Even if it's not, it's hard for me to hold it against a game about the decrepitude of humanity. The context of the game is not the context of real life. And by that I mean that just because the Vestal and the Abomination don't get along doesn't mean that I, or the game, endorse prejudice against shapeshifters.

Nymphomania and love interest should definitely switch consequences.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

poptart_fairy posted:

Do any other zones have stuff like that? I know the music gets more intense but that's about it.
I think they all have some ambient noise increase when the light dies down (cove is gurgling and groaning in the background, I think) but the Warrens is just next-level, none of them stack up.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

I think they all have some ambient noise increase when the light dies down (cove is gurgling and groaning in the background, I think) but the Warrens is just next-level, none of them stack up.

Its to rub in the fact that there is a literal pig orgy flesh monster in the vicinity.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snak posted:

I mean, it's not really out of tone with the game. The way most traits are is that that they are either negative, or "bad" with a twist that makes them good. I feel like Nymphomania should be a "will only use the brothel while in town" but is instead "+20% stress reduction when using Brothel. I honestly don't know enough about nymphomania to know whether this is appropriate or not. Even if it's not, it's hard for me to hold it against a game about the decrepitude of humanity. The context of the game is not the context of real life. And by that I mean that just because the Vestal and the Abomination don't get along doesn't mean that I, or the game, endorse prejudice against shapeshifters.

I was going to post this:

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I've always thought the game had this backwards. Upon further reflection, it follows the game's morality by making Love a bad thing, and mindless boning a good thing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

poptart_fairy posted:

Every dungeon has ambient noises in the background that become more menacing as the light level drops. The chorus of squeals in the warrens is just the most noticeable.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So obviously DD encourages you to cast of characters that are too afflicted with stress, disease, and insanity to afford keeping. Using adventurers in much the same way as bullets in a magazine is a core part of the gameplay, after all.

However, I've found myself doing something else, as well.

Levelling up is fairly speedy, at least compared to grinding out relics for town upgrades, anyhow. Fixing quirks and relieving stress is expensive, but buying gear and skill upgrades is comparatively cheap. Not only that, but as I grind out relics, I end up with heroes with a resolve level that I can't equip yet.

Since I can't use them to work the lower level dungeons, and roster slots are a limited quantity, I find myself releasing capable, well-equipped, and relatively sane mercenaries into the world. Instead of only producing a string of broken husks, my darkest hamlet is generating an elite force for someone else to take advantage of. I'm not sure the ancestor would approve.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Depends: Is there a chance they'll run amok and do terrible damage? If so, you're doing the family work.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you somehow theoretically had 100% Deathblow Resist, would the hero just get dropped to Death's Door and then proceed to never die? There's probably no way to get that high but defense and HP and dodge and Bleed/Blight Resist technically wouldn't matter if you outright cannot die.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think a heart attack could still kill them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nakar posted:

If you somehow theoretically had 100% Deathblow Resist, would the hero just get dropped to Death's Door and then proceed to never die? There's probably no way to get that high but defense and HP and dodge and Bleed/Blight Resist technically wouldn't matter if you outright cannot die.

They capped Deathblow Resist at 90% to prevent this exact situation.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I see it more as "love" interest, it's entirely in the characters head and distracting them. Meanwhile, the brothel worker is just doing their job/making money. I think they want nymphomania to mean using someone impassively for one's own benefit, there's probably a better phrasing for it. Like, scumbag adventurer.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

Night10194 posted:

They capped Deathblow Resist at 90% to prevent this exact situation.

That would still be an interesting run, providing your heavy hitters with Martyrs seal for the insane 75% damage, some crit % and death resist buff at deaths door and some other +deathblow resist item to reach that limit. I definitely wish I had that equipped for some Champion boss fights where almost everyone ends up at deaths door in 1-2, maybe 3 rounds max anyways.

Despite getting annihilated in many Champion dungeons I freely admit it is often because of my stupidity, improper preparation or bringing the wrong characters with quirks that prove fatal (losing my Eldritch Hating Occultist with 0 negative quirks in a Ruins mission opened my eyes to my idiocy quite a bit)

I also like the difficulty progression so far. From what I have seen and felt:

Apprentice dungeons: Most party compositions with most combinations of quirks can work out if you don't play too badly.
Medium dungeons: Many party compositions work out if you play it smart and bring relevant supplies.
Champion dungeons: You will get eaten for breakfast if you play a dumb party, forget vital supplies, or make more than one or two bad or idiotic moves per mission.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
But for a moment in EA you could in fact have 100 resistance and it worked as you expected. No heart attacks in that patch either.

Deaths door tanking was a thing for a bit.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Nymphomania isn't a real thing. It's a slang jargon for hypersexuality. Which by itself isn't even a mental state or addiction, it's just a very high libido over a period of time, usually due to youth/certain hormones/whatever.

Sex addition is real....maybe? There's a lot of conflicting research right now on either side, but that's not nymphomania.

It literally just means the character really likes to get their bone on. Which fits it's buff perfectly. You really like boning. If you get put in the brothel, you have more fun then the other people would, which leads to less stress.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Jester owns and I love taking 3 other super stressed out dudes with 70+ stress and jestering them back to 0.

also, +ACC and +Crit on battle ballad as well as quickdraw giving him the first turn lets my dudes really wreck those dodgey assholes in rank 3-4. I feel like most players that disown the jesters never use them past apprentice where they are admittedly pretty bad (very little stress sources and accuracy is nowhere near a problem, damage mitigation is most important early on).

but in champion dungeons you have dickhole cultists with 30 dodge and annoying madmen with 45 dodge so the +Accuracy turns from "meh" to "this is loving absurd" and with all the massive stress debuffs and attacks being tossed around by ghouls cultists and madmen the constant stress healing comes in great handy. And of course +speed makes it so most of your dudes get to go first next turn.

Also, Jester completly dismantles the drowned crew bossfight, especially if you give him finale. every time he would get pulled to the front I could Finale him back and keep him stress healing/buffing the man-at-arms or abomination at the front while my occultist and abomination shredded the poo poo out of the crew. made my life pretty easy.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 3, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It'd be cool if he was good at anything other than playing his crummy lute though.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

How Rude posted:

Jester owns and I love taking 3 other super stressed out dudes with 70+ stress and jestering them back to 0.

I've had to abort a few runs recently because the game keeps focus firing the stress on one team member and I've been considering incorporating the Jester for long dungeons. My best efforts to control the back row don't seem to be paying the bills long enough to really impact the the buildup.

Do you just stick the Jester in row 3-4 and go crazy with the buffs/stress management? I haven't really ever found a good use for him beyond that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Internet Kraken posted:

It'd be cool if he was good at anything other than playing his crummy lute though.

The Jester is a metacommentary on how ridiculous it is that people regularly drag minstrels into dungeons.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Dusty Lens posted:

I've had to abort a few runs recently because the game keeps focus firing the stress on one team member and I've been considering incorporating the Jester for long dungeons. My best efforts to control the back row don't seem to be paying the bills long enough to really impact the the buildup.

Do you just stick the Jester in row 3-4 and go crazy with the buffs/stress management? I haven't really ever found a good use for him beyond that.

I like to pair him up with the abomination which is the most obvious synergy. since he has no health healing usually I put him in with either a vestal or an occultist, and put high damaging frontliners like Hellion Leper and Crusader. If you want to run a damage rush composition with something like Jester/Graverobber/Leper/Hellion so you can spam accuracy speed and crit buffs to utterly destroy the enemy that can possibly work too if you focus down the backline and use the self-sufficient healing on the frontliners.

My personal favorite is Jester/Occultist/Abomination/(damaging frontliner class). Spam battle ballad and get the buffs stacking, stress heal if anyone needs it. Finale if you get surprised or yanked to the front to return to the back and keep on spamming buffs and stress heals. The other three should make up in damage/healing especially with all the +crit and +acc the jester gives them. Occultist in particular gets ridiculous with sacrificial stab since it has such a high crit rate. This composition absolutely demolishes the cove.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
His solo/finale combo is good for getting your party back together after a shuffle too.

E:f;b

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

How Rude posted:

My personal favorite is Jester/Occultist/Abomination/(damaging frontliner class). Spam battle ballad and get the buffs stacking, stress heal if anyone needs it. Finale if you get surprised or yanked to the front to return to the back and keep on spamming buffs and stress heals. The other three should make up in damage/healing especially with all the +crit and +acc the jester gives them. Occultist in particular gets ridiculous with sacrificial stab since it has such a high crit rate. This composition absolutely demolishes the cove.

That sounds like a really good lineup. I've not made much use of either the Occultist or the Abomination since I started playing again, the latter mostly because of those stress issues. Thanks!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah you kind of need really, really high damage output to make it worth sacrificing a slot for the Jester but Abominations are a good way of getting that. The extra stress to other party members can easily be dealt with by the Jester and the Abomination can self-heal his health and stress. Lepers would also probably be good as they'll appreciate any amount of +ACC and +CRIT and they've got a self-heal and a self-stress heal which leaves the Jester to his buffing and stress healing other people who need it.

I have tried to make Jester's bleeds work and I really don't recommend that.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

However, I've found myself doing something else, as well.

Levelling up is fairly speedy, at least compared to grinding out relics for town upgrades, anyhow. Fixing quirks and relieving stress is expensive, but buying gear and skill upgrades is comparatively cheap. Not only that, but as I grind out relics, I end up with heroes with a resolve level that I can't equip yet.

Since I can't use them to work the lower level dungeons, and roster slots are a limited quantity, I find myself releasing capable, well-equipped, and relatively sane mercenaries into the world. Instead of only producing a string of broken husks, my darkest hamlet is generating an elite force for someone else to take advantage of. I'm not sure the ancestor would approve.

The problem is that bad things happen when you leave town. If you go north then a Necromancer will turn you into a skeleton monster. If you go east, you'll encounter a Siren who turns you into a fish monster. West means you get raped by an S&M pig monster until you turn into one yourself. South may be your best option because then you're simply engulfed by spores and eventually absorbed into a Jello monster. Every hero you dismiss ends up becoming a corrupted abomination that you then have to murder for the sake of redemption.

I was complaining yesterday about the same problem you describe with over leveled heroes that you can't equip. I decided that I would either have to dismiss heroes or edit game files to increase the roster. Based on some suggestions in this thread, I chose a third option; send under equipped heroes into a champion dungeon. If I failed then at least I would have some open spots on my roster, right? Well it was a challenge but nobody died and I completed my first Champion dungeon. Now I have a team of level 6 champions filled with overconfidence and level 3 equipment, ready to dive into the breach once more.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

RVWinkle posted:

Every hero you dismiss ends up becoming a corrupted abomination that you then have to murder for the sake of redemption.

This sounds like an interesting addition, any one you dismiss would have a chance of appearing in a random encounter as a corrupted/fallen version of themselves with all the abilities and modifiers they had when you sent them on their way. Would make dismissing feel even more grim when you know they have a good chance of turning into a monster you have to put down, and obviously this game needs more grim depressing stuff.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dusty Lens posted:

His bleeds are pretty decent when you level the skills up. Downside is having to use bleed trinkets. Grave Robber flashing daggers helps quite a bit.

Use him in either a bleed setup or shuffle setup. The best thing about jester is that he can set up perpetual grave robber lunge. There just aren't a lot of ways in the game to do that.

Same with destress/stall tactics.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Koboje posted:

This sounds like an interesting addition, any one you dismiss would have a chance of appearing in a random encounter as a corrupted/fallen version of themselves with all the abilities and modifiers they had when you sent them on their way. Would make dismissing feel even more grim when you know they have a good chance of turning into a monster you have to put down, and obviously this game needs more grim depressing stuff.

Shouldn't be hard to give the collector some more named heads.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

RVWinkle posted:

West means you get raped by an S&M pig monster until you turn into one yourself.

where on earth did you get that idea

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I feel like there should be a line of code or something dictating that when the Collector drop's a head, the game checks your graveyard and names it after one of your dead guys - unless you have no dead guys in which case it keeps the default name.

I'm not a programmer though so for all I know my idea is fun in theory but a huge pain to implement practically.

EDIT: Plus if you were in the habit of giving all your hero's funny names, that might reduce the dread a bit. "Big McLargehuge's Head."

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 3, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RVWinkle posted:

Every hero you dismiss ends up becoming a corrupted abomination that you then have to murder for the sake of redemption.

The heroes I dismiss leave safely on the stagecoach and go on to live happy and productive lives

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The heroes I've dismissed so far have, among the stouter members, killed necromancers, pig princes, and even a shambler. As long as they don't decide to see what the darkest dungeon is about for themselves, they'll probably be fine..

unless they decide to do something stupid and sit on their hands while a bone courtier empties an entire wine bottle over their head.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Just took down the last Necromancer. The nice thing about the final bosses is that you can at least hear the last blurb on entering the dungeon, even if you don't permanently unlock it. Also I guess you need to defeat one boss per region, otherwise you can't enter the mission for the last one. That's the Swine King and the Necromancer down! Looking forwards to seeing what other horrors the Ancestor has inflicted by just a dick with access to unimaginable powers.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Whenever you dismiss heroes there's the sound of a whip crack and a horse whinnying. I took it to mean they left with the carriage that goes out to bring in more heroes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it means you beat them to death, and they are secretly a horse

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it means you beat them to death, and they are secretly a horse

even the houndmasters dog?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

h****master

wake up people

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Y'all discriminating something fierce against the houndmaster's dog that just happens to bark like a horse

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
is trap disarm bugged for champion dungeons? It shows as 100% but they still fail every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Blank Construct posted:

Whenever you dismiss heroes there's the sound of a whip crack and a horse whinnying. I took it to mean they left with the carriage that goes out to bring in more heroes.

And as we know from the intro, the Caretaker is a very good driver that always reaches his destination safely.