Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Gearhead posted:

Looks like the changeover point for us is after the True Siren step, we can either combine the Siren with the Pirate weapons, leading to what will create the Pirate Soul eventually..

...Or combine the Siren series weapon with the Stormbringer to create Oathbreaker, skipping ahead. Stormbringer is a lv 47 weapon.

EDIT: As a note, getting to True Siren is merely a matter of time and pressure. We can get the core weapons to create the Siren quite easily, from there it's just feeding enough resources to the process to complete it. And when Act 4's new area opens we're going to start seeing a high influx of soulstones.

So we do want to hit true siren 10, but then anything after is up for debate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Is it just me, or is endgame in this game right now entirely about feeding gold into your weapon? I mean, it's nice to have a goal and all, but it's pretty funny that that's the only motivation. Does that ever change in future patches?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Reicere posted:

I'll look into it, but it'll take a bit since the internal naming scheme is a complete mess of camelcase romanized korean shorthand that references locations rather than names and I'll have to actually play the game and get to that zone to narrow thing down.

EDIT: a screenshot might make things go faster though

Not surprised the filenames are a insane mishmash that only make sense to the devs. :v: Though the individual NPCs are defined in the client-side files? Interesting.

See a previous post for a close-up of the character in question.

For where the NPC is exactly, along with its nameplate:

- At Jaofang Village, Razorwing Ravine

- At Bleachbone Outpost, Razorwing Ravine

Hopefully that helps a bit!

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Clarste posted:

Is it just me, or is endgame in this game right now entirely about feeding gold into your weapon? I mean, it's nice to have a goal and all, but it's pretty funny that that's the only motivation. Does that ever change in future patches?

I mean, how's that any different from most other MMOs? You've just a got a set goal instead of rng drops (well, getting your breakthrough/transform weapon can still be rng). At any rate there will still be other stuff to do like getting new soul shields and accesories, and doing hongmoon skill quests and stuff as we get new content coming in.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

cathead posted:

I mean, how's that any different from most other MMOs? You've just a got a set goal instead of rng drops (well, getting your breakthrough/transform weapon can still be rng). At any rate there will still be other stuff to do like getting new soul shields and accesories, and doing hongmoon skill quests and stuff as we get new content coming in.

I think the main thing missing right now, which will kinda get covered in the future is more content goals to strive for. Endgame generally means a sense of progression, not just in terms of personal gear (that's a part of it) but difficult content which you generally work towards. Mushin Tower 1-7 is the first such example. Many players will fail at early levels, get better both in skill/gear then progress. Infinity Tower, which just got released in Jan in KR with 100 floors with super intelligent AI, is another such goal. A lot of future dungeons/raids are pretty hard as well.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Oh is infinity tower the 2nd one you can see the the hogshead skybox?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Server maintinence tomorrow morning (Feb 4th) at 1:00 AM PST / 9:00 AM UTC / 10:00 AM CET.

kongurous
May 22, 2010
The deluge of assassins and summoners in pvp makes me want to shoot myself.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

kongurous posted:

The deluge of assassins and summoners in pvp makes me want to shoot myself.

the only thing about assassins kit i don't like is the white glare blind thing, thats annoying as hell

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
This game is a ton of fun so far. I just hit level 30, so I haven't really had a chance to participate in PvP or the endgame content, so my opinion may not be very valid. However leveling has been relatively quick, and I've accumulated enough cash and items to keep me going without needing much help. My only complaint so far is that early on, vendors are absolutely useless. At this point my entire savings is worth 4 dumplings at the vendor. It doesn't matter much because I have yet to run out of dumplings/potions that I've gotten through quests, rewards and drops, however that is one portion of the game that is absolutely worthless. All vendors are essentially the same, in that they are only useful for selling off your junk.

The market also seems hyper inflated right now. Probably due to the fact that I shouldn't be touching it until I'm higher level. Right now I'd love to buy one Viridian Transformation Stone to breakthrough my ring, but they are in stacks of 10 and cost more than my entire savings. Again, not a big issue because I can always quit one of my current guilds and craft one myself, but the marketplace is supposed to make it so that you don't have to do that. That's not really NCSoft's fault though; since the prices are determined by the players. Also looking back to Aion, I remember it was a similar situation where on my first character I couldn't afford potions and had to sit down to recover my health and mana. By the time I made my first alt, I was just able to craft all the potions I needed and transfer them over so that I could power-level. It's probably the same here, assuming you can transfer items between accounts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The scale of money is kind of ridiculous. In the first major zone, your money is measured in copper, and each silver is a precious, rare thing. You might have a gold or two by the end of the second zone, if you're thrifty. And by max level you're getting most of a gold from a single daily quest. All costs in the AH are scaled to level 45 people, so while leveling it's pretty much impossible to afford anything. On the other hand, if you sell extra Keys or Unsealing Charms on the AH to level 45 people who've run out, you could probably get rich pretty early.

Prices have actually been falling pretty fast over the past couple of days though. Moonwater Transformation stones used to be around 10g when I first hit 45, and now they're closer to 5g. Of course, people are still selling Unsealing Charms for more than they cost at the vendor, so... yeah.

Oh yeah, as for the price of stuff in the vendors, I assume that's because they condensed a bunch of items at some point. The game feels designed around having different keys and dumpling and unsealing charms for different level ranges, but now they're all 1-45. Which means you're paying level 45 prices at level 3 or whatever.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 3, 2016

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

You'll be making 5g+ a day for like an hour or two of effort at 45, so yeah a lot of that smaller stuff is going to stop mattering much. The market is the way it is primarily because the game's only been live for 2 1/2 weeks, and so much of the endgame materials are crafted and thus time-gated that it's taken time for things to get established. You can see how a lot of the prices are starting to drop pretty rapidly (especially on stuff like Moonwater stones).

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
This game looks pretty neato. Gonna try it out today.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

Of course, people are still selling Unsealing Charms for more than they cost at the vendor, so... yeah.

Blame the potters for this, trying to match the vendor price would have been a loss on unsealing charms last time I looked at making some.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Irony.or.Death posted:

Blame the potters for this, trying to match the vendor price would have been a loss on unsealing charms last time I looked at making some.

As both a potter and an earthseer, my stance on this is "screw crafting these things". I'm more curious about why anyone's buying them from the AH.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

As both a potter and an earthseer, my stance on this is "screw crafting these things". I'm more curious about why anyone's buying them from the AH.

Instant delivery :downs:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

HapiMerchant posted:

So we do want to hit true siren 10, but then anything after is up for debate?

Well, the Pirate Soul is drat nice from what I understand. The big thing will be that you would be going through content expecting you to have a Soul by that point, and the only alternative would be to grind up and get the Silverfrost Soul... which uses 60 of the same materials you need to upgrade your weapon and all your accessories. (Breaking the Pirate Soul down gives you 25 of these materials, apparently plenty to get a good start on your equipment.)

There's a certain amount of debate as to which is the bigger pain in the neck. Grinding the weapon up and breaking it for the Pirate Soul or bypassing Pirate entirely and getting the Silverfrost Soul.

It generally comes down to the Silverfrost Soul path being a 'Throwing money at a problem to save time.' solution.

Don't expect the lv 50 cap any time soon. We're probably going to have several months at 45, even if the stuff for Act 4 IS in game. There're several dungeons that haven't been released yet.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Question:

If I upgrade my staff from True Profane to Siren, I lose the True Profane buff (gain 3 focus for x amount of seconds) and gain the 20% Focus Recovery buff.

What does that mean? Do I gain 20% focus every hit, do I have a 20% chance to regain focus?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Clarste posted:

The scale of money is kind of ridiculous. In the first major zone, your money is measured in copper, and each silver is a precious, rare thing. You might have a gold or two by the end of the second zone, if you're thrifty. And by max level you're getting most of a gold from a single daily quest. All costs in the AH are scaled to level 45 people, so while leveling it's pretty much impossible to afford anything. On the other hand, if you sell extra Keys or Unsealing Charms on the AH to level 45 people who've run out, you could probably get rich pretty early.

Prices have actually been falling pretty fast over the past couple of days though. Moonwater Transformation stones used to be around 10g when I first hit 45, and now they're closer to 5g. Of course, people are still selling Unsealing Charms for more than they cost at the vendor, so... yeah.

Oh yeah, as for the price of stuff in the vendors, I assume that's because they condensed a bunch of items at some point. The game feels designed around having different keys and dumpling and unsealing charms for different level ranges, but now they're all 1-45. Which means you're paying level 45 prices at level 3 or whatever.

Yeah I noticed dumplings and potions are percentage heals, so they're equally useful at all levels. If you look at it as a level 10 players trying to afford a food item that heals for 30-40k health (or whatever max health is), then of course you can't afford it. It seems bad to cut out lower level players from using the vendor, but again I haven't had any issues running out of food/potions from the stuff I've gotten from drops/quests, so it isn't a big deal.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
friend of mine ran himself completely out of dumplings and potions by level 10, but that's because he hadn't figured out the secret of "keep moving, dumbass" yet

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah the game shits out potions and food by mobs dropping them or just the survey rewards. By the time you are 18-20 most classes will be able to spec into some extra healing eliminating most issues with pots or food for downtime.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Rafzakael posted:

Question:

If I upgrade my staff from True Profane to Siren, I lose the True Profane buff (gain 3 focus for x amount of seconds) and gain the 20% Focus Recovery buff.

What does that mean? Do I gain 20% focus every hit, do I have a 20% chance to regain focus?

You have a chance to proc a 20% Focus heal on yourself when you hit things, this upgrades higher as the Siren series upgrades to 70%.

The Profane proc is a Focus HoT instead of a flat 'Get X amount of Focus back.'

The gimmick of the Siren series is that when you upgrade them further you get bonuses on certain class abilities.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wrong kmmo thread

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I was watching this guy on the KR servers stream and someone asked the question if they should upgrade to True Siren and he told them not to. Is the proc difference that great?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Kuai posted:

I was watching this guy on the KR servers stream and someone asked the question if they should upgrade to True Siren and he told them not to. Is the proc difference that great?

Take EVERYTHING the KR players say with a grain of salt. In KR, the upgrade fork to skip ahead to Act 4 is True Profane, but the NA fork appears to be True Siren. And they're operating in an environment that has had a lv50 level cap for over a year. We're at LEAST six months away from Act 4 getting released, along with the level cap raise, maybe more.

By upgrading to True Pirate you also get to start Act 4 with an accessory in an otherwise unused slot you will not be able to get any other way and the replacement for is not so easy to get without throwing a ton of gold at the problem:

The base Silverfrost Soul is created from 60 Silverfrost Crystals. You get 25 of those from breaking down the Pirate Soul. You get more from breaking down some rather badass weapons you can get from other lv 50 content. The Silverfrost Soul itself is an upgradable accessory.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 3, 2016

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Gearhead posted:

We're at LEAST six months away from Act 4 getting released, along with the level cap raise, maybe more.

Well, we're getting BSH and Mushin 1-7 next week, the only thing left before 50 after that, as far as I know, is Spiral Labyrinth and Mushin Floor 8.

Considering Warlock was originally added with 50cap and NCWest staff keep dropping hints that Warlock will be "much sooner than we expect", I'd actually wager a guess that 50cap might be in as early as March or April. Kind of depends on if they continue on a 2 week content cycle or need to space future updates out a bit more.

I think 6 months is way too long of an estimate, but we'll have a better idea once we see the timing of whatever comes after the Feb 10th patch.

cathead fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 3, 2016

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

cathead posted:

I think 6 months is way too long of an estimate, but we'll have a better idea once we see the timing of whatever comes after the Feb 10th patch.

You have a good point.

Of course, they could also have things set up such that we get Warlock before we get the lv 50 cap.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Gearhead posted:

You have a good point.

Of course, they could also have things set up such that we get Warlock before we get the lv 50 cap.

I considered this as well, but that's still only one more update's worth of content before we literally run out of pre-50 stuff to put in. I was just really surprised at how fast the turnaround was at getting BSH in so I'm curious to see how committed they are to fast-tracking us.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

kojei posted:

friend of mine ran himself completely out of dumplings and potions by level 10, but that's because he hadn't figured out the secret of "keep moving, dumbass" yet

A lot of the "You'll never touch me!" skills don't show up for some classes till 20.

Assassin really comes together in the 30's with the perma stealth build.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
How are Assassins? They look nifty as heck. Kung Fu Masters also look baller.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

karn1635 posted:

All classes are cool and fun.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

A lot of the "You'll never touch me!" skills don't show up for some classes till 20.

Assassin really comes together in the 30's with the perma stealth build.

Right, but he was literally just standing there facetanking. Even if you only have your pure beginner skills to work with, simply moving around will help you a lot

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

How does one avoid getting hit as a FM? The CD on backstep seems obscene, even when you've put that 1 point into it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Much later on you'll get 2 elemental based dodge abilities tagged into I think the Q and E. They'll also shift you into that particular element. At least thats how it it was before, I dont know if its changed.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dabir posted:

How does one avoid getting hit as a FM? The CD on backstep seems obscene, even when you've put that 1 point into it.

You tell all the enemies to chill out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Level 44 yeah. That seems like a long time away.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

karn1635 posted:

I started playing a couple days ago and rolled a sin as my first character.

They're super fun, but super fragile if the enemy can get a hit on you.

They're very combo heavy. Every skill will change the state of you, your opponent, or both. And skills will do different things based on the states.

If you use your gap closer, you'll approach the target in "decoy" stance, but if you use it from behind the target, you stealth and approach, and are now in "stealth" stance.

From there, your other skills' availability and effect will change based on your stance.

What does just damage in decoy stance will now also stun in stealth stance. And so on.

I can speak too much about KFM, but a buddy of mine rolled one with my sin. From what I've seen, they're slower (relatively speaking) than a sin, but have much harder individual attacks, and aren't as combo heavy. They also have this nasty pin that if you get caught in it, you're hosed as he now gets to wail on you BJJ style. If there's a skill to escape it, I haven't gotten it yet at level 20.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

cathead posted:

I considered this as well, but that's still only one more update's worth of content before we literally run out of pre-50 stuff to put in. I was just really surprised at how fast the turnaround was at getting BSH in so I'm curious to see how committed they are to fast-tracking us.

I wonder if they've got, and this is a terrible way to phrase it but I can't think of a better way, quotas for how many players have reached a certain milestone, like level or content complete or even finished hongmoon weapons or something, and they're sitting on content and doling it out as a large enough portion of the playerbase is ready for it. It's a much better idea to take old content and let us go through it and have it be current content than to have everything just shoved in at once and ignored because it's "old" content even though no one in NA outside of the people playing in the KR beta have done it. They might be rolling out content quick because NA players are just blazing through it.

Velocity Raptor posted:

I can speak too much about KFM, but a buddy of mine rolled one with my sin. From what I've seen, they're slower (relatively speaking) than a sin, but have much harder individual attacks, and aren't as combo heavy. They also have this nasty pin that if you get caught in it, you're hosed as he now gets to wail on you BJJ style. If there's a skill to escape it, I haven't gotten it yet at level 20.

I've got KFM up to 41 now. It starts out a lot slower because they dole out each class mechanic as you level. It's not combos, per se. KFM always kind of felt a bit like a right tool for the job class, and they start you off with your most important and universal tool: counter. In the beginning KFM is slower because most other classes just walk up to things and beat them to death while KFM has you playing dark souls and learning animation and counter timings. Once you hit chapter 17 and can spend points you can turn your 2 skill into tiger strike, which changes it into an aoe and can unlock the use of hellfire kick, which will become your main method of bursting damage and just flat out killing poo poo while leveling.

Once you learn counter timings the world is your oyster, but that's not all the class has. They give you a basic stun and grapple pretty quickly, and those are neat but anemic until you can put points into them, like one that heals you for a massive amount when you grapple them. Later on you have an ability that lets you kick stunned enemies into the air and then you can air combo them, which is extra hilarious when you finally fight lusung and he's monologuing at you while being air juggled. If you dash backward it'll enable the use of an f skill that charges them and pops them into the air, and when they land you have a very brief moment to grapple them before they get up without using up a stun. Shield dudes are probably the most annoying things just because shield blocks the effects of your abilities, so they ignore stuns if they're blocking and won't get kicked up in the air if they're blocking, but if you counter it does basically full damage and wrecks them so not a huge deal.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 3, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Gearhead posted:

You have a chance to proc a 20% Focus heal on yourself when you hit things, this upgrades higher as the Siren series upgrades to 70%.

The Profane proc is a Focus HoT instead of a flat 'Get X amount of Focus back.'

The gimmick of the Siren series is that when you upgrade them further you get bonuses on certain class abilities.

Cool, thanks. What's the chance to proc it? Same as True Profane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 11, 2016

• Locked thread