Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pack six of the Westeros cycle is True Steel. Lannister gets some fun toys.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/1/true-steel/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Jesus, dat Ilyn Payn tho

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
The Illyn Payne effect is strong, but very expensive, can't be reduced by noble cause, can't take seal of the hand.

I think he wont' get used too much to be honest. The old 1.0 Illyn Payne wasn't too different than this and didn't see much play.

There is some fun jank like dropping him into play with hear me roar during marshaling on your power behind the throne plot, killing 2 different 2 drops [by using the plot stand]. But that's really really janky.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

How much does your Lani deck hate Targ I guess.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, killing Dragons with Payne seems okay, but probably not worth putting in a bunch of effort / gold to make happen with Fire and Blood being a thing.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I think its a pretty solid removal tool. Can sack claim soaks too, pretty dangerous after a wildfire.

Its no Nymeria, but I could see it being a solid 1-of choice in a lot of lani decks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Those are some seriously ugly cards, drat.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I just set up LOTR on OCTGN, going to try a solo game tonight. So, is the Watch It Played video series the best one out there to learn how to play? I'm looking for a complete in-depth how to play, with all the rules explained, preferably as error-free as possible. Length is not an issue, my attention span is good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I learned to play by watching the official FFG videos, which are pretty good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

canyoneer posted:

I learned to play by watching the official FFG videos, which are pretty good

They're really well polished which is nice. Something about the announcer's voice though, just highlights all the weird jargon they use to me. Like he has no loving clue how the game is played but he's just reading off a script so its okay, but it comes across in his voice that he's totally and completely loving lost.

"Then during the "initial phase", you spend up to X "gold", then during the "draw phase"... then there's the "encounter phase", then another "draw phase", so now it is your opponent's "draw phase", proceeding into your "draw phase", during the "draw phase", players may only spend "influence" if they have the required..."

zzzzzzzz

I mean I know a lot of keywords and jargon are required for any mechanically complex game, but typically when you're introducing a complex game to somebody you try to simplify the jargon or avoid it when you can for that very reason, it turns people off. I can kinda understand wanting the intro video to serve as like, an example of the rules exactly as they are, so you want all the jargon to be exact and consistent, but yeah.

Heck its not even jargon necessarily its just like, how kludgy and complex everything is and how it has to be explained out to the n-th degree. Just get to the action already so I can get a feel for the flow of turns, and then fill in the details on the hard rules.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
LOTR got a new FAQ! https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/2/counsel-from-the-loremaster/
Primary changes are a nerf to
Horn of Gondor - Character leaves play becomes Character is destroyed
Love of Tales - After a song is played add 1 resource to attached hero's pool becomes After a song is played exhaust Love of Tales to add 1 resource to attached hero's pool
Bye-bye mega resource abuses haha.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

theroachman posted:

So, is the Watch It Played video series the best one out there to learn how to play?

It's the one I watched, and was good enough for me to stumble through my first game, at which point reading through the rulebook made a lot more sense. (Especially the various phases and actions)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Codex just went to Kickstarter and fully funded its initial $50,000 goal in less than 24 hours: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/codex-2

It's a Real Time Strategy game but in card game form and looks hella good.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The Shortest Path posted:

Codex just went to Kickstarter and fully funded its initial $50,000 goal in less than 24 hours: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/codex-2

Don't give David Sirlin money.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I don't know anything about David Sirlin other than he made Yomi which is good, and this game also looks good. :shrug:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Don't buy Sirlin games until the 2nd edition, if at all.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

ChiTownEddie posted:

LOTR got a new FAQ! https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/2/2/counsel-from-the-loremaster/
Primary changes are a nerf to
Horn of Gondor - Character leaves play becomes Character is destroyed
Love of Tales - After a song is played add 1 resource to attached hero's pool becomes After a song is played exhaust Love of Tales to add 1 resource to attached hero's pool
Bye-bye mega resource abuses haha.

The other big change was they went back to the old way of calculating player card effect totals. such as Blood of Numenor and Gondorian Fire.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Carteret posted:

Don't buy Sirlin games until the 2nd edition, if at all.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

I don't know anything about David Sirlin other than he made Yomi which is good, and this game also looks good. :shrug:

Puzzle Strike is fantastic too.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

I've played this game, it's extremely good. I definitely suggest checking it out. I think there's a free print-and-play somewhere if you're on the fence about backing the Kickstarter.

Deviant posted:

Don't give David Sirlin money.

Why? I get that that Playing to Win book isn't everyone's cup of tea, but all the Sirlin games I've played thus far have been excellent.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Sirlin seems like kind of a douche and has a giant ego. That said, his games are really nice...evolutions, of other designs and this looks like a great mashup between Ares Project and Mage Wars. I remember the board game thread was generally upset with the price tag he had on his stuff and wanting to avoid retail outlets, so it seems like KickStarter is the perfect place for him. I wasn't a huge fan of Yomi and Puzzle Strike had some flaws but was overall really good. This looks like my wheelhouse of games I enjoy so...

Backing this one fully.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sirlin has made an art form of exploiting his games and fans via expensive small expansions (basically Boardgames DLC) and quickly revised rules forcing people to buy second and third editions. It's pretty lovely.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Anybody here capable of estimating how many cards a full playset contains?

With 4 more factions to go it probably won't turn put any cheaper than a fully stretch-goaled deluxe pack and $200 is a hell of a price for a bored game.

Then again, it seems there's actually a pretty bunch of cards per each faction (not sure how much of that is creature tokens and poo poo) so i'd like to convert it mentally to equivalent card pool worth of lcg boxes to feel less dumb for even considering.

I just want a control deck rather than red/green stuff :(

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
My Night's Watch deck is coming along fairly nicely, and with a Store Championship coming up, I need to figure out what I'm doing for Conquest. I've had great success with Starbane, and I like the new Eldar stuff that's been coming out, but the new AM stuff is really exciting. Any advice for this Worr deck I just threw together?

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Broderick Worr (Decree of Ruin)

Army Unit: (26)
4x Anxious Infantry Platoon (Decree of Ruin)
3x Cadian Mortar Squad (Core Set)
2x Captain Markis (Core Set)
3x Enginseer Augur (Core Set)
2x Leman Russ Battle Tank (Core Set)
3x Sacaellum Shrine Guard (Boundless Hate)
2x Seraphim Superior Allegra (The Great Devourer)
1x Shrieking Basilisk (Descendants of Isha)
3x Stalwart Ogryn (Core Set)
3x Steel Legion Chimera (Zogwort's Curse)

Attachment: (4)
1x Commissarial Bolt Pistol (Decree of Ruin)
3x Promotion (Core Set)

Event: (8)
2x Summary Execution (Decree of Ruin)
3x No Mercy (Core Set)
3x Preemptive Barrage (Core Set)

Support: (12)
1x Forward Barracks (Decree of Ruin)
3x Catachan Outpost (Core Set)
1x Imperial Bunker (Core Set)
3x Rockcrete Bunker (Core Set)
2x Staging Ground (Zogwort's Curse)
2x Troop Transport (Boundless Hate)

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lichtenstein posted:

With 4 more factions to go it probably won't turn put any cheaper than a fully stretch-goaled deluxe pack and $200 is a hell of a price for a bored game.

Then again, it seems there's actually a pretty bunch of cards per each faction (not sure how much of that is creature tokens and poo poo) so i'd like to convert it mentally to equivalent card pool worth of lcg boxes to feel less dumb for even considering.

Says 450 cards in the deluxe section and says more with stretch goals, though given the first stretch goal there probably won't be many more cards.

Assuming MSRP of $15 for FFG games, and using Netrunner as an example of a pack containing 20 unique cards. You're looking at a price tag of $.75 for each unique card.

In a Netrunner core you're looking at 113 unique cards and an MSRP of $40.00, so $.35 along with tokens and box.

Let's assume that half of the 50 cards are unique, so 225. The Deluxe with shipping in the U.S. is $227 so that's basically $1 for each unique card.

If you want to call the tokens, rulebook and box a wash between Netrunner Core and Codex Deluxe, then the only substantial differences are the binders and game boards for Codex.

Also note that I'm using MSRP and in actuality you can find the Netrunner stuff for far cheaper.

It's not really a good deal by any stretch of the imagination and certainly within Sirlin's typical strategy of price gouging his audience.

Game looks cool though: still buying it.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Bottom Liner posted:

Sirlin has made an art form of exploiting his games and fans via expensive small expansions (basically Boardgames DLC) and quickly revised rules forcing people to buy second and third editions. It's pretty lovely.

Hmm, I've never seen it this way. I played a lot of Yomi 1st edition, and had a great time. Then Yomi 2nd edition came out - but I wasn't forced to buy it (and in fact I didn't), because Yomi 1st edition is already a good game and I didn't feel a need to update. (I think there were upgrade packs that let people do this cheaply as well, but I never really looked into it in that much depth.)

If Sirlin's games were initially bad that would be one thing, but in my view it's more like "well, we made a really good game, and now we have an even more refined version of that game that holds up better in top-level competition." For people (like me) who aren't playing in high level tournaments or whatever, there's less need to get the next edition, so I just didn't - but this approach lets the game be much more balanced on the high end.

Honestly, I would love to see more games do something similar - if they made "Netrunner core set 2.0" that fixed some of the balance issues with that core I would happily buy it for tournaments, but also just as happily play with the old cards in casual games.

Lichtenstein posted:

IIRC each faction has ten base cards to form your starting deck and three heroes, and each hero has twelve cards (two copies each) to put in your codex - so each faction has 49 unique cards and 85 cards total. If the thing hits all stretch goals I think the Deluxe set will carry all six factions plus all the neutrals (Neutrals are their own faction but only have two heroes instead of three), for a total of 330 unique cards and 570 cards total - plus "token cards", worker cards, etc. (which I'm not counting since they don't provide unique gameplay).

You also get binders, playmats, counters, etc. but it's unclear how to value that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I like the RTS influence, but there's a few things that really turn me off. One is the inconsistent art styles. Call me a nitpicker but man, it just bothers me to no end having anime style cards and realistic style cards and all kinds of different jumbled art styles in the same game. It screams "this game was kickstarted" and really makes me want to run full-speed the other direction.

Its bad enough playing a game like Consortium where everybody is a ridiculous Bishonen anime character, but at least its consistent. Codex is even worse because 1/3rd of the characters are Bishonen anime but the other 2/3rds are like, romantic paintings or realism.

They have a very 'kitchen sink' theme going on. Anime swordsmen and archers, magic, technology, wizards, samurai, aliens, bears, ninjas, pirates, it just feels like a mess.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I like the RTS influence, but there's a few things that really turn me off. One is the inconsistent art styles. Call me a nitpicker but man, it just bothers me to no end having anime style cards and realistic style cards and all kinds of different jumbled art styles in the same game. It screams "this game was kickstarted" and really makes me want to run full-speed the other direction.

Its bad enough playing a game like Consortium where everybody is a ridiculous Bishonen anime character, but at least its consistent. Codex is even worse because 1/3rd of the characters are Bishonen anime but the other 2/3rds are like, romantic paintings or realism.

They have a very 'kitchen sink' theme going on. Anime swordsmen and archers, magic, technology, wizards, samurai, aliens, bears, ninjas, pirates, it just feels like a mess.

I agree, that was the first thing I noticed before I even realized it was a Sirlin game. Terrible art direction overall.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Definitely agree there. Broadly speaking the factions all have their own aesthetics:

-Black: Undead from Warcraft III.
-White: Ninjas/fighting monks/martial arts heroes. Very anime.
-Blue: Standard "good human empire, fights for justice", except that the flavor text and card names often have sinister/Orwellian implications. I actually really like this theme a lot and I wish the others were more like this.
-Red: Pirates/fire/anarchy/craziness.
-Green: Standard nature thing.
-Purple: Protoss.

I personally like the crazy grab bag approach but I understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 3, 2016

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How's the current faction balance in Conquest right now? I remember Astra Militarum being kinda weak while SM/DE were really strong back at launch.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Oh hey, with all the Codex chat we missed these new Conquest spoilers:

Love those Devastators. Finally some good support destruction!

Azran posted:

How's the current faction balance in Conquest right now? I remember Astra Militarum being kinda weak while SM/DE were really strong back at launch.

Really good IMO. SM and DE are still powerful, but so are lots of other things. The new Astra Militarum warlord, Broderick Worr, is very effective and clearly in the top tier. Orks have traditionally been the worst faction but got a bunch of good cards recently (and will get a new warlord next pack), which has generally made them much better - I think they have the highest winrate in the online league going on right now, in fact!

The most recent Conquest pack, Boundless Hate, is probably the best ever? It has a bunch of cool options for basically all factions, and people have been playing a wide range of decks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

You know, looking at those cards, I'm kinda curious about the "color wheeling" of the game, since I wouldn't have thought location destruction or unit mobility would be in SM's wheel.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Nah. Sirlin is a perfectionist who came out of the arcade fighter world, where massive balance overhauls that required updates to a new version were the norm. His design and release style reflects that.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

You know, looking at those cards, I'm kinda curious about the "color wheeling" of the game, since I wouldn't have thought location destruction or unit mobility would be in SM's wheel.

They are imperial fists, siege specialists though

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MisterShine posted:

They are imperial fists, siege specialists though

I think I'm just bitter since it feels like SM does a bit of everything at an above average ability.

Also, I just played a quick game of AGOT and based on one game, Raiding Longships loving own.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I think I'm just bitter since it feels like SM does a bit of everything at an above average ability.

Also, I just played a quick game of AGOT and based on one game, Raiding Longships loving own.

That's how space marines work in the tabletop game though, they've got really good stats for everything. The balance in the tabletop is that they're expensive per unit, no idea how the card game balances the factions.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
SM gets the first good support destruction! It doesn't seem like there's any reason to not play SM if you intend to win in Conquest now. Theoretically Kith should be held back by the glut of AoE options (new ones in Ork and Baarzul) while SM has no obviously weak matchup. People always say Eldorath is good against SM but I have personally never found it to be so.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

nyxnyxnyx posted:

SM gets the first good support destruction! It doesn't seem like there's any reason to not play SM if you intend to win in Conquest now. Theoretically Kith should be held back by the glut of AoE options (new ones in Ork and Baarzul) while SM has no obviously weak matchup. People always say Eldorath is good against SM but I have personally never found it to be so.

I can see Eldorath being okay since a lot of what makes SM annoying are its combat tricks (Fury, Indomitable, Drop Pod), and Eldar are the only ones with a hard event counter. Until SM gets one, obviously. SM don't have the best command game either, so I can see Eldorath being annoying in that regard, although Cato probably loves those tender Eldar units to make up for the lost planets.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's how space marines work in the tabletop game though, they've got really good stats for everything. The balance in the tabletop is that they're expensive per unit, no idea how the card game balances the factions.

I can sorta see SM costs being weighted more towards the higher end (maybe because they just have a way lot of good 3 drops), but they still have good 1-2 drops in 10th Company Scout, Eager Recruit, Imperial Fists Siege Force and Tactical Squad Cardinis.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 4, 2016

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

nyxnyxnyx posted:

SM don't have any obviously weak matchups (Eldorath is slightly favored against Cato and basically even with Ragnar, and "slightly favored" means something like 55-45 in this context), but they don't have very strong matchups either - most everything is an even or slightly favored situation, with a few slightly unfavorable ones. If you think you have a good read on the meta, there is often a better choice to be had IMO - for instance, if you anticipate lots of Eldar, you can play Dark Eldar. If you anticipate lots of Dark Eldar, you can play Chaos. If you anticipate lots of Chaos, you can play Shadowsun (etc. etc.).

Right now I think Zarathur is the strongest deck for the current meta (lots of Kith and Worr, so his anti-swarm tools excel), but Conquest is very balanced and there are tons of valid decks right now. In general I endorse something like the following tier list, ignoring the first two warlords that just came out (nobody really knows where they belong):

Tier 1: Cato, Ragnar, Kith, Eldorath, Zarathur, Worr
Tier 1.5: Ku'gath, Shadowsun, Coteaz, Old One Eye, Swarmlord, Nazdreg
Tier 2: Starblaze, Baharroth, Aun'shi, Straken, Old Zogwort
Tier 3 (aka Urien Tier): Urien

Every faction has at least one warlord in tier 1 or tier 1.5 - even the much-maligned Orks have gotten a number of substantial boosts recently that make them far from weak competitively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Fetterkey posted:

Tier 3 (aka Urien Tier): Urien

Poor Urien. Is there any hope that his lot will improve?