Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is the MF market actually making money? Fuji should just buy Hasselblad and keep the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

McLarenF1 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > The Dorkroom › The Mirrorless Thread: Olympus Megathread 2.0

To be fair, this thread is basically Fujichat with occasional M43 and A7 derails

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

surrender posted:

To be fair, this thread is basically Fujichat with occasional M43 and A7 derails

Seriously, Despair and I are basically the only people who ever make Oly posts

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

whatever7 posted:

Is the MF market actually making money? Fuji should just buy Hasselblad and keep the brand.

Hassleblad can sell cameras at a 10,000% markup, there's no way they're for sale, if people are actually buying their cameras. I'm pretty sure Fuji does already make their best lenses though.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Digital medium format seems kind of like a saturated market at this point, what with Hasselblad, Pentax, Leica, and Phase One already in the game with high-margin, low-volume, limited-demand luxury goods. But if Fuji could put together something different - something in the style of a rangefinder, that's relatively compact (fixed lens?) with an X-trans sensor, and priced closer to a Pentax than a Leica - they might gain some traction.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Digital medium format seems kind of like a saturated market at this point, what with Hasselblad, Pentax, Leica, and Phase One already in the game with high-margin, low-volume, limited-demand luxury goods. But if Fuji could put together something different - something in the style of a rangefinder, that's relatively compact (fixed lens?) with an X-trans sensor, and priced closer to a Pentax than a Leica - they might gain some traction.

Fuji is probably using the same Sony sensor in the Pentax 645Z, so it should close in pricing to that one. I don't think they're going to fight with Hasselblad and Phase One up there.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What about Leica? Everyone always forgets that they make medium format, too :v:

It seems like if you were set on taking out a mortgage to buy a high-end European medium format digital camera, you'd go with Hasselblad, though. They're definitely cooler looking than the Leica SLR-style MF bodies, and there's a pretty broad range of feature sets on the Hasselblad bodies, plus they have removable backs. I wonder if the dot will eventually phase the S* series into mirrorless full frame.. seems like the SL is more like where they want to go. It would be ironic though if the 'S' (for SLR) line went fully mirrorless.

Although, I was looking through some old high-altitude photomosaic GIS datasets from the early 2000's and noticed that they were created with some kind of big Leica CCD made for aerial surveillance cameras, so maybe the consumer medium format stuff still has some crossover use in commercial applications such as that.

It was funny, though. I always just thought of Leica as a plush brand for posh consumers. I wonder if they still have much of a footprint in the 'professional' (non-artistic, commercial and industrial) world.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The Leica brand is actually shared by 4 independent companies.

I actually do prefer the Leica S to the Hasselblad and Phase One MF offerings, the feel in the hand is a lot better, and their S lenses are really the best - shame the AF sounds like it's being powered by bees.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

IanTheM posted:

Hassleblad can sell cameras at a 10,000% markup, there's no way they're for sale, if people are actually buying their cameras. I'm pretty sure Fuji does already make their best lenses though.

Just to point out, Hasselblad has already been sold, twice. In 2003 to the Shriro Group and in 2011 to Ventizz.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Disregarding the price, this looks quite lovely:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/history-repeating-olympus-pen-f-first-impressions-review

The knob on the front isn't customisable, but I hope that's something they'll fix in a software update. It should've been weather sealed at that price, though.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm planning on expanding my Fuji setup with part of my tax return and I can't decide how I want to go about it. I currently have the XT-10, 18-55 F2.8/4 and 35 F1.4. I'm trying to keep the spending to under $700, but ideally around $4-500. I know what I should buy all depends on what I shoot, but I kind of shoot general photos most of the time, so it's hard to pick. Items I've considered/want:

Nissin i40 flash $270
- Bounce flash is really handy at parties and to have in general

Instax Printer $140
- Seems like it'd be really fun to have around

Fuji 55-200 F3.5-4.8 $475
- Greatly expand my shooting range
- Not sure how much use it'd get, though it would be handy for trips to the zoo and the like

Samyang 12mm $300
- Love the look of ultra wide stuff
- Not sure how much I'd use it though,

Fuji 56mm F1.2 $700 (used)
- I drool over images taken by this thing
- It's a tad long to be the only lens I leave the house with and it's also really expensive.
- I also have that focal length covered with the 18-55 and it feels odd repeating so many focal lengths in my kit (already having the 35mm)

I'm leaning towards the flash and printer; but it's really tempting to expand my focal range or take the chance to get a drool worthy lens.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I got the Samyang 12mm f/2 and its a pretty good landscape lens or it can be used for some clever stuff up close because of the wide aperture. The corners are utterly AWFUL though wide open, all smeary and not sharp at all and the focus ring both focuses past infinity AND the actual infinity point is a mm or two past the marking which is incredibly frsutrating for doing it on the fly.

Example of the corner weirdness.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wide angle lenses normally are "awful" wide open. That includes my 24/2, 28/4 PC, 28/2, 35/1.4 etc. Nikkors. In my opinion the 12/2 Samyang has crazy good resolution wide open, corner to corner. I can't remember the last time there was something in focus in the corners when I used a wide angle lens wide open. Like.. why would you do it?

Also the fact that Samyang cuts corners by not adjusting the infinity focus correctly, it's perfectly normal. I think they had the same issue with their first SLR lens, 85/1.4, and it has been going on for years ever since. You can probably fix it by yourself by opening the lens, supposing the lens doesn't fall apart if you attempt to service it :v:

Anyways; I own a bunch of manual focus film stuff and a 5D. The 5D is OK for stills when you can check the focus afterwards from LCD, otherwise I can't get good focus with a 5D. So I've been looking for a better camera for MF work, and seems mirrorless cameras are the only option since the EVF's usually have great focusing aids, while SLR cameras have zero (a loving dot in a corner doesn't count).

My budget is under $1000 used so most likely it's a X-T1 or A7. Fuji looks great because it's basically a copy of Nikon F4, aka the best camera ever made:

Any reasons to not buy it? Seems like it has the best EVF and Fuji's own lenses are super sharp, small, lightweight and quite affordable if you want AF too.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 1, 2016

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Mike Hollingshead put the Samyang 14 up against the Canon 14 on a somewhat related note:

http://stormandsky.com/lens14mm.html

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Of course there is sample variation, some other sample might have better corners. This guy uses the 12/2 Samyang for astro work: http://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon-12mm-f2-0-ncs-cs-review/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I have the 55-200 and Rokinon 12 and enjoy them both.

The 55-200 has good image quality, acceptable auto-focus (at least on an XT-1) and good OIS. The OIS allows for solid hand-held performance in many situations, though sometimes it does seem like I get different results depending on which OIS mode (continuous vs shooting only) is selected (but this sounds like more of a general Fuji issue than lens specific). I like it for compressed land/cityscapes, getting more detail from far away objects, and it did a great job with wildlife shots when I was in Costa Rica.

The 12 seems like a nice cheap ultra-wide alternative to the 10-24 (haven't used the 10-24 so I can't actually compare). I've found 12 wide enough for that ultra wide landscape look, and haven't had regrets about not being able to go wider or lacking zoom. If you want to use G/NDs, it takes the Lee Seven5 filters with zero or minimal vignette, and also is apparently a good astro option (though I haven't had a chance to try this out yet). The lack of auto focus isn't a big deal with this lens because a) DOF is huge at 12mm, especially if you stop down a bit (making it basically point and shoot), and b) the focus assist highlighting makes it easy to quickly hit focus. I've found sharpness to be more than acceptable for landscapes, though it does sound like there can be some copy-to-copy variance with softness in 1 corner when wide open. I've mostly been using it at f/5.6 and 8 and haven't noticed any softness issues.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

My budget is under $1000 used so most likely it's a X-T1 or A7.

Any reasons to not buy it?
What's your time frame like? There's always the possibility of used X-T1 prices crashing a bit if the X-T2 really does come out this year, but right now we don't have reliable rumors. That said, I adore my recently-purchased X-T1 and Fuji glass, so you really can't go wrong by jumping into the ecosystem now. At a minimum maybe wait until the end of the month to see if you find people unloading their X-T1 when the X-Pro2 starts shipping? That's up to you.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What's your time frame like? There's always the possibility of used X-T1 prices crashing a bit if the X-T2 really does come out this year, but right now we don't have reliable rumors. That said, I adore my recently-purchased X-T1 and Fuji glass, so you really can't go wrong by jumping into the ecosystem now. At a minimum maybe wait until the end of the month to see if you find people unloading their X-T1 when the X-Pro2 starts shipping? That's up to you.

The X-T2 rumors point to summer release, so I'd have to wait like half a year. I've been using 5D for my digital stuff for three years and I'm quite completely fed up with the focusing issues. The X-T1's used value probably halves when 2 is released.

X-Pro 1's go for like 300-350 so that will probably be the going price of X-T1's later this year. I could always get an A7 though and flip it later if I still wanted to get a Fuji.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ihmemies posted:

The X-T2 rumors point to summer release, so I'd have to wait like half a year. I've been using 5D for my digital stuff for three years and I'm quite completely fed up with the focusing issues. The X-T1's used value probably halves when 2 is released.

X-Pro 1's go for like 300-350 so that will probably be the going price of X-T1's later this year. I could always get an A7 though and flip it later if I still wanted to get a Fuji.

XT1 used priced is not going to be 300-350. It's 2 years newer than the XP1. It's going to be more like use X100T price.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Where do you guys see XPro1s go for 300-350? Is it just local sales or what because even with the lovely CAD exchange I'd love to pick one up for that price and flip my XE-1.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Martytoof posted:

Where do you guys see XPro1s go for 300-350? Is it just local sales or what because even with the lovely CAD exchange I'd love to pick one up for that price and flip my XE-1.

There was one on the forums here for around that, lowest on Amazon is $400 though.

No way the XT-1 will drop nearly that low when the 2 comes out though, as has been said.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

I've been trying to sell my xpro locally if you don't mind one that's kinda beat up cosmetically PM me .

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I read a few pages of this thread and realized Nikon FM/FE series are basically the same size as X-T1. Nikon has a ton of good enough small and lightweight lenses with 52mm filter thread: 20/3.5, 24/2.8, 28/2, 35/2, 50/1.4/1.8, 85/2, 105/2.5 etc. (Also please fuji why do you make lenses with a million filter sizes? 39mm, 49mm, 52mm, 62mm, 67mm, ??? grr.)

A 500g FF mirrorless from Nikon would be so good. Just copy the controls from X-T1 or some old film camera, sell it for 1000 bucks and call it a day.

If the lenses feel too heavy or big, just look at what Pentax did with their FF lenses. Nikon's 50/1.8 is lighter AND smaller than a Fuji's 35/2. The talk of making aps-c cameras because ff camera and lenses would be too big and heavy is a load of crap. Everyone made as small or smaller cameras and lenses 30+ years ago, and tech and materials have come a long way since.

Anyways, while waiting for The Dream to come true, I'm trying to find a good deal on used x-t1 and 35/1.4.

Edit: and while I rant: where's the 23/2 with X bayonet? They have made the lens since 2010 at least but don't want to sell it without a camera glued on it?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 3, 2016

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ihmemies posted:

I read a few pages of this thread and realized Nikon FM/FE series are basically the same size as X-T1. Nikon has a ton of good enough small and lightweight lenses with 52mm filter thread: 20/3.5, 24/2.8, 28/2, 35/2, 50/1.4/1.8, 85/2, 105/2.5 etc. (Also please fuji why do you make lenses with a million filter sizes? 39mm, 49mm, 52mm, 62mm, 67mm, ??? grr.)

A 500g FF mirrorless from Nikon would be so good. Just copy the controls from X-T1 or some old film camera, sell it for 1000 bucks and call it a day.

A digital FM2 was what everybody asking for until Nikon made that monster clown shoe Df.

quote:

If the lenses feel too heavy or big, just look at what Pentax did with their FF lenses. Nikon's 50/1.8 is lighter AND smaller than a Fuji's 35/2. The talk of making aps-c cameras because ff camera and lenses would be too big and heavy is a load of crap. Everyone made as small or smaller cameras and lenses 30+ years ago, and tech and materials have come a long way since.

Anyways, while waiting for The Dream to come true, I'm trying to find a good deal on used x-t1 and 35/1.4.

Edit: and while I rant: where's the 23/2 with X bayonet? They have made the lens since 2010 at least but don't want to sell it without a camera glued on it?

You do realize the lens in the x100 has much shorter flange distance than the X mount. If it's doable, someone would have taken apart a dead X100 and reuse the lens.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Same reason why no one has taken out the RX1 lens too. It's really the best lens I've ever used.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

They have made the lens since 2010 at least but don't want to sell it without a camera glued on it?

Lol sure because that's how lenses and sensors work

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

whatever7 posted:

You do realize the lens in the x100 has much shorter flange distance than the X mount. If it's doable, someone would have taken apart a dead X100 and reuse the lens.

So..? Leica cameras have always had lenses which rear element get very close to the film/sensor and shutter. I don't buy this explanation, unless fuji's X camera design does not have enough room in the "mirror box" or whatever it's called these days.

E: like this: http://shootfilmridesteel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/shoot-247.jpg

Of course the sensor might have been designed so that it has less resolution/vignetting problems if the light comes from really steep angles...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 3, 2016

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Rich people probably don't send the camera back to Amazon when they scratch the sensor with the lens rear element due to operator error. You also lost the leaf shutter and build in ND filter from the x100.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just paid for an Xpro1 to replace my XE1. I know it's mostly the same camera but I'm excited for the OVF which was what I was really missing. How is the Xpro1 EVF in lower light? I know the XE1 was nearing atrocious levels of lag which the XE2 improved upon drastically. I'm guessing since the Xpro1 was the first of all three it's doomed to craptastic EVF low light performance too, correct?

Regardless, I am excited.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

I just paid for an Xpro1 to replace my XE1. I know it's mostly the same camera but I'm excited for the OVF which was what I was really missing. How is the Xpro1 EVF in lower light? I know the XE1 was nearing atrocious levels of lag which the XE2 improved upon drastically. I'm guessing since the Xpro1 was the first of all three it's doomed to craptastic EVF low light performance too, correct?

Regardless, I am excited.

Let me know if AF speed is slower on the XP1.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Sony have just announced three lenses, and two teleconverters, but only one body. Somebody check the temperature in Hell...

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The a6300 sounds pretty sweet. S-Log3, 120fps in HD, 4K in S35 mode... it's a pretty huge upgrade in terms of video features. I don't know what to do now. I thought the obvious upgrade path from my A6000 was something in the A7 range, but maybe I should stay small and croppy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I actually just bought an A6000 on Friday as a starting point into mirrorless, but I'm not too bothered by the A6300 announcement. I got the new kit with the 16-50 and 55-210 lenses for $899. This is $100 more for body only. I'm not saying the improvements wouldn't be worth the increase, but probably they aren't worth it for me just starting out. I'll be keeping an eye on any reviews that pop up and see how they align with my experience learning the A6000. I have a 45 day return window with best buy so I have some time.

I am happy to see though that Sony is remaining committed to their E mount crop line. Hopefully that will follow with more crop lens options down the line.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Pablo Bluth posted:

Sony have just announced three lenses, and two teleconverters, but only one body. Somebody check the temperature in Hell...

Do they finally have a 24-70 2.8 on the way??

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Yep. 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85 1.4

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

MMD3 posted:

Do they finally have a 24-70 2.8 on the way??

Yep.

Sony posted:

The first G Master lenses will be available in March, with the 24-70mm f/2.8 listing for $2200 and the 85mm f/1.4 listing for $1800 in the U.S. The 70-200mm f/2.8 will follow in May, with pricing yet to be determined.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo :stare:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sony probably took their sweet time making all new lenses, instead of going with something old and proven. I guess these have no focusing helicoids either.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

quote:

24-70mm f/2.8 listing for $2200

Sounds about right :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Still no fast crop lenses or primes or anything that isn't a super zoom

But a new body oh boy