Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

Still no fast crop lenses or primes or anything that isn't a super zoom

But a new body oh boy

There's an 85 f/1.4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ihmemies posted:

Sony probably took their sweet time making all new lenses, instead of going with something old and proven. I guess these have no focusing helicoids either.
Says SSM. Does that mean it's that Direct Drive piezo stuff as in the FE Zeiss 35mm/1.4 and the RX10?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I was waiting for this announcement to see if Sony was finally going to cough up

a) An E-mount crop body with IBIS

And/or

b) A telephoto lens at 250mm or greater.

...And it's a negative on both counts. 70-200 + TC doesn't count because it's going to be north of $3000. All they need to do is make a freaking 70-300 5.6 with stabilization, or add IBIS so adapted A-mount would fill the gap. It's baffling to me why they don't make telephoto applications a basic element of their system. A starter-kit style telephoto zoom is literally the #2 lens that every consumer buys. The 55-210 doesn't count, again, because it is too wide and slow. Even the lovely EF 75-300 III is a better choice for distant action & wildlife.

The new Fuji 100-400 is around $1600 brand new, and will probably outclass the 70-200 + TC combo in terms of IQ. It's time for me to do what I should have done from the beginning: kill myselfswitch to Fuji.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Says SSM. Does that mean it's that Direct Drive piezo stuff as in the FE Zeiss 35mm/1.4 and the RX10?

I think so. I saw the lensrentals teardown comparing the Zony and Canon 35s; it really makes putting up a big investment in expensive FE lenses seem like a raw deal, what with how everything is glued together and impossible to repair or adjust. Professional optics really shouldn't be put together with a consumer smartphone industrial design philosophy. You shouldn't have to replace glass every 2 years because it wears out and costs more to fix than replace. I also recently read a horror story of an article by a traveling photographer (and loyal Sony shooter) who had two consecutive A7RIIs crap out at the worst possible moments, in conditions that decent weather resistance should be able to insulate against. I'm pretty soured on any upgrade path in E-mount. I bet the 85 1.4 will make fantastic images, but the lovely plastic toy build quality that Sony seems to favor these days is a red flag that I'm going to heed.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 4, 2016

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I was waiting for this announcement to see if Sony was finally going to cough up

And/or

They are also releasing a 1.4x and 2x tele converter to go with the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

You shouldn't have to replace glass every 2 years because it wears out and costs more to fix than replace.

lmao what the hell are you talking about?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The new Fuji 100-400 is around $1600 brand new, and will probably outclass the 70-200 + TC combo in terms of IQ. It's time for me to do what I should have done from the beginning: kill myselfswitch to Fuji.

it's almost like purchasing decisions should be made in the area of overlap between the things that are what you want and the things that actually do exist

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm pretty glad that I went M43 instead of getting an A6000, the lens selection is much better (and more affordable)

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Wikipedia Brown posted:

The a6300 sounds pretty sweet. S-Log3, 120fps in HD, 4K in S35 mode... it's a pretty huge upgrade in terms of video features. I don't know what to do now. I thought the obvious upgrade path from my A6000 was something in the A7 range, but maybe I should stay small and croppy.

It is super sweet, and I think that you, like me, should remain a S35 elitist. I'll still need to seem some reviews of the camera before I think about buying, but this is the first Sony body that I've had almost no caveats about. It's basically what I wanted the GH4 to be, and now the only advantage I see with the GH4 is that it has the possibility of 4k 10-bit, while the a6300 can 'only' do uncompressed 4k out. The a6000 body is a great size for a stills camera, fits in the hand and in a bag nicely. This might fulfill my stills and video b-cam needs perfectly, though I'm still not sure how I feel about Sony's colour science because only Canon seems to give me what I want.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

lmao what the hell are you talking about?

Yes, yes, hyperbole. Hysterics. But what I'm talking about is:

Some of the new high-end Sony lenses can't have their lens assemblies adjusted or repaired.

Only replaced.

And that's not ~bad~ in and of itself. Like a lot of consumer electronics, they incorporate innovative, technologically-advanced functions (that are often made of cheap materials and shoddily put together).

But they're also more delicate, and not robustly constructed.

And if something goes wrong, like a fall causing misalignment, or a drop of water getting into the unsealed space between the lens and the mount, or a front element getting scratched, so much of the lens would have to be replaced that more often than not you'd probably be better off just buying a new one. It's not a flaw, just a different design philosophy; albeit one that treats the product as more or less disposable.

Dren posted:

it's almost like purchasing decisions should be made in the area of overlap between the things that are what you want and the things that actually do exist

Yeah, it's a lot better than waiting and hoping. But looking back on it now, I also badly failed a marketing hype test when I interpreted a Sony lens catalog that listed the entire broad-ranging A-mount lineup as 'compatible' with the a6000, 'with LA-EA4 adaptor.' While technically true, that compatibility was effectively compromised by a combination of built-in light loss and lack of stabilization. My fault for being careless in my research, but at the time my misconception caused the Venn diagram to converge on Sony E-mount as the system for me.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc-Mo8hMgME

:eyepop:

interesting to see how those the weird, non silky smooth out of focus blur came from

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

SMERSH Mouth posted:

And if something goes wrong, like a fall causing misalignment, or a drop of water getting into the unsealed space between the lens and the mount, or a front element getting scratched, so much of the lens would have to be replaced that more often than not you'd probably be better off just buying a new one. It's not a flaw, just a different design philosophy; albeit one that treats the product as more or less disposable.
I believe that's originally, or at least a well popularized, Apple Design Principal :v:

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

SMERSH Mouth posted:

And/or

...And it's a negative on both counts. 70-200 + TC doesn't count because it's going to be north of $3000. All they need to do is make a freaking 70-300 5.6 with stabilization, or add IBIS so adapted A-mount would fill the gap. It's baffling to me why they don't make telephoto applications a basic element of their system. A starter-kit style telephoto zoom is literally the #2 lens that every consumer buys. The 55-210 doesn't count, again, because it is too wide and slow. Even the lovely EF 75-300 III is a better choice for distant action & wildlife.

I think so. I saw the lensrentals teardown comparing the Zony and Canon 35s; it really makes putting up a big investment in expensive FE lenses seem like a raw deal, what with how everything is glued together and impossible to repair or adjust. Professional optics really shouldn't be put together with a consumer smartphone industrial design philosophy. You shouldn't have to replace glass every 2 years because it wears out and costs more to fix than replace. I also recently read a horror story of an article by a traveling photographer (and loyal Sony shooter) who had two consecutive A7RIIs crap out at the worst possible moments, in conditions that decent weather resistance should be able to insulate against. I'm pretty soured on any upgrade path in E-mount. I bet the 85 1.4 will make fantastic images, but the lovely plastic toy build quality that Sony seems to favor these days is a red flag that I'm going to heed.

Ok, thank you for posting this. This literally happened to me at a recent event to my A7, and I googled it, and this is a thing. Thank you for posting this, it was my biggest problem with my A7. it shat itself (I got the shutter fixed for only 300, so thank you Atlanta Camera Repair, you guys are awesome). but my (third person using it), 40D kept on chugging along.

Also related question, from a half technical/half photographic image. How do you guys even handle the micro four thirds small depth of field, I mean fuji is the standard aps-c, but 4/3rds just has such a small depth of field (and the cameras were all so small for that matter), that it felt strange taking photos with the cameras.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
:neckbeard: X-E2 firmware 4.0 has landed.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xe2/index.html

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I have a question for the folks that were heavily invested into (particularly full frame) SLRs, but made the switch to mirrorless. Do you have any regrets? Is there anything you miss?

I mostly shoot street/travel/landscape for fun but I'm also branching out into portraiture more and more. Mirrorless has obvious advantages to street and travel photography, but I'm kind of afraid to give up full frame on my 6D. Has anyone picked up mirrorless and kept their old kit?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Haggins posted:

I have a question for the folks that were heavily invested into (particularly full frame) SLRs, but made the switch to mirrorless. Do you have any regrets? Is there anything you miss?

I mostly shoot street/travel/landscape for fun but I'm also branching out into portraiture more and more. Mirrorless has obvious advantages to street and travel photography, but I'm kind of afraid to give up full frame on my 6D. Has anyone picked up mirrorless and kept their old kit?

Low light IQ and that extra stop of DOF.

The first assignment I shot with the 5D3 (which was published by Vice) had a lot of night time shots I would probably have been unable to get with the X-T1.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

Is there anything you miss?
Some people coming from DSLRs get frustrated with the battery life, especially if they shoot a lot with the rear screen or just leave the EVF on all the time. I bought extra batteries just in case but haven't actually found myself needing them. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DaNzA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc-Mo8hMgME

interesting to see how those the weird, non silky smooth out of focus blur came from

I don't understand its bokeh sales pitch, does it have an extra filter to optimize bokeh like the Fuji 56mm APD, or it comes with an extra ring to adjust the quality of the bokeh?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Haggins posted:

I am a compromise, as I shoot events, airplanes and archeture (so I use 2 cameras usually, a wide and a longer zoom). Mirrorless has awful battery life, I mean my DSLR can last 18 or so hours with intense shooting and a grip, and I usually go through 2 batteries every 8-10 hours. The a7 has amazing low light qualities and I use it with adapted glass, so its amazing there as well. Right now I am saving for an a7II and praying for a g series 16-35 (and waiting for my 16-35 f4 to come in), and for the DSLR side I'm pretty sure I'm going for an 7dII as a 40D upgrade but I will ask about your 6D in the canon thread). If you shoot a lot of outdoors/event stuff, where you won't have access to electricity, mirrorless can be fustrating.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I got rid of my D700s and full frame Nikon gear a couple of years before I bought into Fuji. The only things I miss are the all day battery life and the much more surefooted AF. Neither of those things is big enough to out weigh the size advantage and time I save in post.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

And/or

Is IBIS that useful in crop body with lower pixel count? Seems like it's not that useful in shorter focal lengths with lower pixel count sensor since the blur isn't that obvious in the first place. Versus something like the 5Ds/R where its pretty much always blurry when pixel peeping unless you are shooting on a tripod.

Also IBIS doesn't work that well in longer focal lengths either since the amount of shifts needed for those lengths is usually greater than the degree of freedom the IBIS system has.

And comedy option: you can always adopt something like the canon 100-400 Mk II onto the Sony :v:

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

You can improve battery life on Fuji these days in EVF Eye display mode, which only turns on the EVF/sensor while it's up to your eye. Downside is waiting the second or so for the EVF to turn on. Still nowhere near a DSLR though.

Another disadvantage of mirrorless (especially Fujis) are just that: the wake up time from standby. With Fuji you have to hold the shutter button down for 2 seconds. It prevents accidental power on but if your camera isn't ready and there's a snap you have to take now forget it.

If you're shooting action, you can't beat an OVF, since most EVFs tend to freeze between shots rather than showing the live view.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Hmm I'm not really into actiony things like sports but I do like being able to shoot without delay, especially in street.

The reason I've been pondering mirrorless recently is because I've been shooting a lot with my RX100 III. I really love the digital view finder and am impressed with it's sensor for being such a small camera. The size is also less restricting. The only thing I dislike is the fly by wire zoom and start up and shut down times. I really like being a quick draw camera-slinger.

I probably should just stick with what I got.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

Another disadvantage of mirrorless (especially Fujis) are just that: the wake up time from standby. With Fuji you have to hold the shutter button down for 2 seconds. It prevents accidental power on but if your camera isn't ready and there's a snap you have to take now forget it.
Do you have High Performance turned off? I leave it on since, as I mentioned I have piles of batteries that I haven't needed anyway, and wake up from sleep is super quick without requiring a long shutter depress.

I couldn't remember what it was like stock so I turned High Performance off just now and yeah, it definitely takes its time after needing a longer shutter depress.

Edit: and with respect to Haggins: the only things I miss from my Canon setup are the TS-E 24mm II and better flash options.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 4, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

They also claim that high performance affects other stuff too, like the speed to EVF to turn on, the FPS of EVF (from 50-60 to 85fps) etc. So it's definitely worth it to check it out. Also if you turn all the extra clutter off from EVF it should save some battery.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Haggins posted:

Hmm I'm not really into actiony things like sports but I do like being able to shoot without delay, especially in street.

So just leave the EVF on? I doubt you're wandering around taking shots for 5 hours at a time.

http://news.panasonic.com/press/news/data/2016/02/en160203-5/en160203-5.html

More on Fuji's wacky organic sensor, now being made in conjunction with Panasonic.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

New X-E2 firmware is pretty sweet. Autofocus is definitely noticeably faster and :siren:continuous autofocus:siren: is actually usable now!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fart Car '97 posted:

So just leave the EVF on? I doubt you're wandering around taking shots for 5 hours at a time.

More on Fuji's wacky organic sensor, now being made in conjunction with Panasonic.

123 dB dynamic range, configurable responses to wavelengths and other light characteristics?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Dren posted:

123 dB dynamic range, configurable responses to wavelengths and other light characteristics?

also essentially vaporware

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OMD-EM1 vs my old Oly E-5 DSLR, thoughts in no particular order. For what It's worth, I mostly shoot sports, travel, and occasionally 2nd shooter at weddings. Both are 2x crop bodies.

I do miss the E-5's battery life, but I find my EM-1 holds up just fine as long as I'm not really hammering on it at a sporting event, or shooting video. Plus after-market batteries are stupid cheap (at one point I think I found them for $11 each), and if I have wifi, touchscreen, live view, and rec view all disabled, it holds up great. I've gone through some SR events shooting 20,000+ pictures and I went through maybe 6-7 batteries, which I really can't complain about in the big picture.

I really can't say enough about the weight and size difference. Being able to pack 6 lenses in a bag that would have held my DSLR and maybe 2 lenses at a fraction of the weight is amazing. This goes double when you're on an all-day assignment like a wedding or the Spartan Races that Dakana and I shoot.

I do sometimes miss having the 2nd memory slot. The E-5 had a CF and SD slot after finally abandoning the proprietary XD card, and being able to switch over with a few button presses was nice, especially in lovely weather. That said, SD cards can be gigantic these days so it's not a huge loss, but it's in the back of my head sometimes.

I saved one lens when I sold the E-5 system away, mostly because I drat near stole it when I originally bought it. A gigantic 35-100mm f/2.0 (4 lbs/1.8 kg) that I'm thrilled to still be able to use. The EM-1 was always meant to be the E-5's spiritual successor, and it can run the big bastard, but it chugs a bit in focus.

The far lighter weight does make me worry about overall durability at times, but it has shrugged off everything I've hit it with so far. The E-5 was a tank and I probably could have driven nails with it.

The E-5's screen would swivel to 270 degrees, which I didn't use super often, but it was amazing in a pinch, especially with crowds, or very low subjects. The EM1 will only tilt 90 degrees facing up or 45 facing down, and is a little tricker at times.

OVF vs. EVF, I have to say I'm overall really happy with EVF. It's awesome to see almost 100% exactly how the digital file will look when I take the picture. The E-5's OVF wasn't bad by any means, but I could get fooled by WB sometimes. Being able to customize what the EVF shows in terms of a grid, info, etc, is really nice too.

Both start up really fast. the EM1 seems to be a shred slower to go from switching it on to taking a picture, but not so much that it's been a bother.

E: YO DAKANA GET IN HERE AND TELL US WHY FULL FRAME DSLRS STILL OWN.
He can speak to that better than I can :v:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 4, 2016

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Besides 20XX technology, I sort of do that at conventions, so I think that is why I feel the mirrorless consumes battery (and I try and turn it off when I'm not using it, but the start up time is annoying.)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The fuji battery life can be extended a bunch in the cameras w/ an OVF if you switch to using the OVF, turn off high performance mode, turn on OVF power save mode, and turn off the LCD.

If you're not trying to maximize your battery usage for some reason (like you know you're gonna run out of batteries) high performance mode is good, it gets rid of the startup lag by leaving the camera kinda "on" when you turn it off unless it's been idle for like 20-30 minutes (I forget the exact time frame).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

whatever7 posted:

I don't understand its bokeh sales pitch, does it have an extra filter to optimize bokeh like the Fuji 56mm APD, or it comes with an extra ring to adjust the quality of the bokeh?

After reading some additional info, what isn't clear in that video is they built a bokeh simulator. So, the adjustments seen there are them demoing the simulator.

quote:

We looked at what is considered good bokeh and how it affects not just the background rendering but also the transition from perfectly sharp to out-of-focus regions. We developed a way to evaluate bokeh and were able to make a simulation. This meant we didn’t have to build a lens to see how it performed, we could now computer model it before taking a design too far.’

It also sounds like we could get APS-C versions of these lenses if marketing allows it.

quote:

We also asked Ohtake about Sony's APS-C lenses for E-mount. His team likes designing APS-C lenses, he says: ‘The focus elements are light, so it’s easier to design. We have all these focus motor technologies in-house and we’d like to try them in APS-C lenses if that’s what the Product Planning team says is required.’

http://m.dpreview.com/articles/4410376132/sony-engineer-interview-g-master-lens-design

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Pro-tip for XT1 users - leave the camera in high-performance mode, and then physically turn the camera off if you anticipate you won't be using it for a while. The power switch is easy to hit using your pointer once you find the grip, and in high performance mode the camera goes from fully off to ready to shoot in the same amount of time as it takes to raise from my hip to my eye.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Everyone should be using high performance mode on all Fuji cameras unless you are down to your last battery or something. I do miss DSLR battery life but I can carry 2 spares in the same space as one Nikon battery so it's basically a wash. I even have a small one battery pouch that goes on my sling strap when I'm out without a bag.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DaNzA posted:

Is IBIS that useful in crop body with lower pixel count? Seems like it's not that useful in shorter focal lengths with lower pixel count sensor since the blur isn't that obvious in the first place. Versus something like the 5Ds/R where its pretty much always blurry when pixel peeping unless you are shooting on a tripod.
IBIS is pretty awesome, it really lets you use a lower shutter or more importantly, for me, gives some cushion for sloppy shooting. For the extreme, look at some of the 1/10th handheld shots with the new Oly 300 and em5mkii or em1.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bull3964 posted:

After reading some additional info, what isn't clear in that video is they built a bokeh simulator. So, the adjustments seen there are them demoing the simulator.

It also sounds like we could get APS-C versions of these lenses if marketing allows it.

http://m.dpreview.com/articles/4410376132/sony-engineer-interview-g-master-lens-design

By bokeh simulator, you mean a software RAW converter option like the Gaussian filter in photoshop or one of Photoshop plugins? Or you mean a hardware ring on the lens?

My question is do these lens have anything difference that make them produce better bokeh?

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 4, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

whatever7 posted:

By bokeh simulator, you mean a software RAW converter option like the Gaussian filter in photoshop or one of Photoshop plugins? Or you mean a hardware ring on the lens?

My question is do these lens have anything difference that make them produce better bokeh?

No, I mean in the design process for the lens.

What they were showing off in the video is that they were able to simulate the effects of bokeh during design and take that into account before any real glass was produced. That's what they mean by bokeh simulator. It's nothing that the end user interacts with. They are simply saying that their mathematical model takes bokeh quality into account so that it can be part of the design process from the beginning rather than something they tweak after they get to prototype.

So, that lens animation with bokeh examples was them showing off the lens design tools, not any controls that the photographer has.

Their claim is that bokeh is better because they were able to include bokeh quality in the initial computer modeling of the lens design.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Mr. Wookums posted:

IBIS is pretty awesome, it really lets you use a lower shutter or more importantly, for me, gives some cushion for sloppy shooting. For the extreme, look at some of the 1/10th handheld shots with the new Oly 300 and em5mkii or em1.

IBIS really owns and its the main reasons to pick the Oly 's system over Fuji's imo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Wookums posted:

It's absolutely this. If you're on the long end for stuff it really allows you to hand-hold in what could otherwise be a super tough situation. I believe all the Oly bodies will let you set the 'strength' of it as well by inputting the focal length if it's like an MF lens or something.

poo poo, I can hand hold my 800mm mirror lens with it, kid you not. Makes a ton of noise but it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bull3964 posted:

No, I mean in the design process for the lens.

What they were showing off in the video is that they were able to simulate the effects of bokeh during design and take that into account before any real glass was produced. That's what they mean by bokeh simulator. It's nothing that the end user interacts with. They are simply saying that their mathematical model takes bokeh quality into account so that it can be part of the design process from the beginning rather than something they tweak after they get to prototype.

So, that lens animation with bokeh examples was them showing off the lens design tools, not any controls that the photographer has.

Their claim is that bokeh is better because they were able to include bokeh quality in the initial computer modeling of the lens design.

Really? I am surprised they don't add a two-letter designation on the lens name to brag about the "bokeh optimization" like all the Japanese lens companies do.