Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yeah, that term has various levels of terribleness, ranging from not-too-awful to full-on-super-lovely-thing-that-you-should-never-say.

Hi, Im British. Here 'paki' is roughly equivalent to 'friend of the family'. Similarly, unless youre from Pakistan, dont bust it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I got a pressure cooker for Christmas (specifically an Instant Pot). Guess this is the time to try to like beans. I have a bunch of red soaking overnight and for dinner I'll toss in some adobo and garlic powder. Anything else I can add? Going to go with braised cabbage and potatoes and salt stone cooked ribeye.

e: Incidently I have had beans recently that I made via a recipe that were delicious and their main feature was "sauteed with garlic and onion." So trying to really go that way and treating them as an aromatics delivery system.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 28, 2015

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
So thanks to my local neighborhood grocery store overstocking on hams I got a smallish butt portion ham for .77 cents a pound. Already got that sucker chopped/sliced and in the freezer mostly, aside from some to have with my eggs at breakfast. Delicious!

Quick chef questions-

1- Aside from breakfast protein, sandwiches, and diced with skillet potatoes, anyone got any favorite recipes for ham?

2- The bone I got out of this thing is huge, it'd probably be overkill for even my largest stockpot load of bean soup- can I use it twice?

3- Its cool to just kind of squish out the marrow in the middle of said bone and eat it like meat butter, right?

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

When you say you roasted the peppers and tomatillos on the stove top do you mean on the burner in a pan with oil?
When I make that kind of salsa I put 'em right on the gas burner or, even better, roast them under the broiler. They don't have to be solidly blackened, just well-browned and scorched in spots.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tar_Squid posted:

So thanks to my local neighborhood grocery store overstocking on hams I got a smallish butt portion ham for .77 cents a pound. Already got that sucker chopped/sliced and in the freezer mostly, aside from some to have with my eggs at breakfast. Delicious!

Quick chef questions-

1- Aside from breakfast protein, sandwiches, and diced with skillet potatoes, anyone got any favorite recipes for ham?

2- The bone I got out of this thing is huge, it'd probably be overkill for even my largest stockpot load of bean soup- can I use it twice?

3- Its cool to just kind of squish out the marrow in the middle of said bone and eat it like meat butter, right?

Pea Soup, Pea Soup, and Yes. Use that bone once, and make a devoted strong ham stock. Then you can freeze it and use it as needed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tar_Squid posted:

Quick chef questions-

Pea Soup with leeks and a tiny bit of quatre epices (roughly equal portions of cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and pepper - maybe 1 teaspoon for an entire pot tops).

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Astonishing Wang posted:

When you say you roasted the peppers and tomatillos on the stove top do you mean on the burner in a pan with oil? I'm new to all of this and have always assumed that roasting happens on the inside of the magical cooking box :shobon:

I assume you leave all of the seeds in the peppers?
Sorry, I'm not Bartlebee, but this in my sperg wheelhouse.

"Traditional" way is to cook the stuff on a grill, dry fry them, or cook everything over direct flame, but there's no hard and fast rule, and different methods are preferable for different results. There's even a fantastic boiled recipe I got from Diana Kennedy that I've used that makes a really good cooking base. We don't have a grill for our food truck, so we use a Rick Bayless recipe that's roasted in an oven. Sliced onions and whole garlic cloves at 350 until the onions are dry and crispy and the garlic is soft all the way through, then Jalapenos (2015 resolution: Memorize the alt+ codes) and tomatillos at 450-475 until the tomatillos are again soft all the way through. Blend to your desired texture, season with cilantro and/or Kosher Salt until everything is well-combined, and it's done.

Depends on what you want for the seeds. Lots of peppers have a really cool taste that often gets massively overpowered by the seeds. Every time I read a cookbook on Mexican stuff, they'd always say only Gringos removed the seeds from peppers, then when I went to Mexico and worked in a few kitchens, I found that it really depended on the dish. If you want that spicier bite, leave 'em in, if you don't, take 'em out. Just remember to wear gloves for the latter- Walking around Merida in the heat after seeding a hundred of those mothers was not fun times.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Plan Z posted:

Sorry, I'm not Bartlebee, but this in my sperg wheelhouse.

"Traditional" way is to cook the stuff on a grill, dry fry them, or cook everything over direct flame, but there's no hard and fast rule, and different methods are preferable for different results. There's even a fantastic boiled recipe I got from Diana Kennedy that I've used that makes a really good cooking base. We don't have a grill for our food truck, so we use a Rick Bayless recipe that's roasted in an oven. Sliced onions and whole garlic cloves at 350 until the onions are dry and crispy and the garlic is soft all the way through, then Jalapenos (2015 resolution: Memorize the alt+ codes) and tomatillos at 450-475 until the tomatillos are again soft all the way through. Blend to your desired texture, season with cilantro and/or Kosher Salt until everything is well-combined, and it's done.

Depends on what you want for the seeds. Lots of peppers have a really cool taste that often gets massively overpowered by the seeds. Every time I read a cookbook on Mexican stuff, they'd always say only Gringos removed the seeds from peppers, then when I went to Mexico and worked in a few kitchens, I found that it really depended on the dish. If you want that spicier bite, leave 'em in, if you don't, take 'em out. Just remember to wear gloves for the latter- Walking around Merida in the heat after seeding a hundred of those mothers was not fun times.

No, thanks for responding to that post; I totally forgot. My girlfriend roasted everything in my cast iron skilet. So we were super lazy and it turned out okay. Now I want to try this method.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Use that bone once, and make a devoted strong ham stock. Then you can freeze it and use it as needed.

This for large and/or many pig bones. Use some of the jellied stock for your soup and the rest for risotto or whatever. Diced crispy fried ham is also great in congee.

And a pan fried slice with redeye gravy and biscuits at any time of day or night. Or diced into pasta salad. Fried rice also benefits from chopped ham. Cube some into a casserole with grated potato and whatever dairy liquid base trips your hotdish trigger with a mountain of cheese.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
My dinner tonight (4-6 servings, depending on portion size):

1/3 cup julienned sun-dried tomatoes and their oil
2 tomatoes, sliced (or one can whole stewed tomatoes, sliced)
Olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Basil, oregano, salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper
1 small onion, grated or finely chopped
4 chicken thighs, or 2 chicken breasts cubed
2/3 cup half and half or cream
1 lb penne (or other pasta)

Place sundried tomatoes, sliced tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and onion in a 12" skillet and bring to bubbling heat. Add chicken and cool for 15-20 mins. If using thighs, remove the thighs from the sauce and remove bones and shred into bite sized pieces. Replace the chicken and add cream. Reduce heat and let cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.

Serve over penne (or rice).

Really excited to eat these leftovers for the next two lunches.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Hey poor cooking goons, I was wondering if anyone had experience with budget cooking in Hawaii. I'm moving there in two weeks and everyone I've spoken to talks about how expensive everything is. I've made a pact to spend more time in my kitchen when I'm settled into my new place, so I was hoping for some tips.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Beast Pussy posted:

Hey poor cooking goons, I was wondering if anyone had experience with budget cooking in Hawaii. I'm moving there in two weeks and everyone I've spoken to talks about how expensive everything is. I've made a pact to spend more time in my kitchen when I'm settled into my new place, so I was hoping for some tips.

There's different levels of cost saving, but the basics are "coupon/sales + buy in bulk, reduce the amount of meat you eat, don't use pre-prepped/processed food/ingredients, and reduce waste/use every part of what you get (cook whole chickens and then make stock from the carcass, for example)." In Hawaii you can add in "grow a buttload of your own food in your backyard" and "pull food straight out of the ocean," if either of those are your thing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TheQuietWilds posted:

There's different levels of cost saving, but the basics are "coupon/sales + buy in bulk, reduce the amount of meat you eat, don't use pre-prepped/processed food/ingredients, and reduce waste/use every part of what you get (cook whole chickens and then make stock from the carcass, for example)." In Hawaii you can add in "grow a buttload of your own food in your backyard" and "pull food straight out of the ocean," if either of those are your thing.

All this, and rice and beans. Definitely look into growing some of your own stuff, if only for the fun of it. Hawaii weather makes it easy. Even if you only have a patio, you can grow stuff in pots. My favorite container plants are hot peppers, eggplant, zuchinni (trellis it!), and microgreens.

Also look into local farmer's markets. Imported food is expensive and dumb, local is usually better and cheaper. Discover a dozen new and exotic fruits!

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

All this, and rice and beans. Definitely look into growing some of your own stuff, if only for the fun of it. Hawaii weather makes it easy. Even if you only have a patio, you can grow stuff in pots. My favorite container plants are hot peppers, eggplant, zuchinni (trellis it!), and microgreens.

Also look into local farmer's markets. Imported food is expensive and dumb, local is usually better and cheaper. Discover a dozen new and exotic fruits!

Yeah, you can get bulk rice and beans for super cheap. Probably the best "savings/effort" of growing stuff comes from growing your own herbs, which also results in your cooking improving because you have a ridiculous shitload of mint and rosemary and you end up adequately seasoning things. Herb gardening owns, both for making poo poo cheap and for making it delicious.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Tomatoes are also good to grow. They're not super insanely cheap and I eat them often enough that it's actually fiscally responsible for me to grow them.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

Tar_Squid posted:

Chef Salad, quiche.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Instead of the jar of brown gravy, do this the real Hawaiian way and get the industrial brown powder gravy. Very cheap and a total guilty pleasure.

For loco moco gravy, I use the "better than bullion" paste you can get at costco and a little bit of browning sauce. Those powdered gravy packs are more expensive than you'd think.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's why you scoop out of the bulk bin.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's why you scoop out of the bulk bin.

Bulk bin powered gravy?

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I've never grown anything in my life, but I'm excited to try. I'll only be there about 6 months, is that enough time to make growing my own food reasonable, startup cost wise? How long do things take to grow? Thanks for all the info.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Herbs grow quickly, you'll probably have an abundance within a month.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Bulk bin powered gravy?

What, have you no wincos?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Beast Pussy posted:

I've never grown anything in my life, but I'm excited to try. I'll only be there about 6 months, is that enough time to make growing my own food reasonable, startup cost wise? How long do things take to grow? Thanks for all the info.

Well, radishes only take a month from seed to harvest. You can also just have greens, like a window-box setup with 6 to a dozen baby romaine lettuce plants you can get at any hardware store with a gardening area. Once they're a foot or so tall you can harvest a small salad every (other, if you only have 6 or so) day by picking the outermost layer or so of leaves from 3 or 4 of the romaine plants. More complicated growing setups will be a bit more expensive.

Again, look for local farmers. They will have so much awesome local produce, and buying direct saves you a ton.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Beast Pussy posted:

As others have said. Herbs (parsley, cilantro, thyme, basil, sage, chives, others?) maybe some quick greens like spinach, arugula and bib or romaine lettuce and also radishes. Otherwise don't bother. If you have space maybe some flat beans or snap peas.

Edit: All of those will come in within 1-2 months depending on soil temp and quality and apart from the radishes will continue to produce for months afterwards.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Look, I just want to throw it out there, growing isn't just "ram it in the earth and its easy!" Especially for things like Spinach they are really harsh on soil and water and temperature. Hell if you are concerned about your food bill you most likely do not have land or area to really grow.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Look, I just want to throw it out there, growing isn't just "ram it in the earth and its easy!" Especially for things like Spinach they are really harsh on soil and water and temperature. Hell if you are concerned about your food bill you most likely do not have land or area to really grow.

Yeah, but a lot of these things you can grow in containers. It's fun, and really gives people perspective on how hard growing food really is. I think it's important that everyone try and grow their own produce at some point. Living in Hawaii is a perfect opportunity to learn, as I hear every season is growing season out there.

Scavenge some paint buckets. 4 1 gals, 1 5 gal. Find some nice clean soil you can dig up, pick up a liquid vegetable fertilizer or maybe some nice aged compost, mix in the prescribed amount in your 4 gallons of dirt in the 5 gallon bucket. A really good mixing! Distribute soil between 1 gallons evenly. Buy some nice vegetable starts like a hot pepper plant, chives, or Japanese eggplant, or some lettuces, water as needed. Enjoy gardening (or sob when it goes horribly wrong). Don't over think it. I started in much the same manner, learned a lot, and now I never need to buy green onions, chives, or rosemary ever again.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 31, 2016

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, but a lot of these things you can grow in containers. It's fun, and really gives people perspective on how hard growing food really is. I think it's important that everyone try and grow their own produce at some point. Living in Hawaii is a perfect opportunity to learn, as I hear every season is growing season out there.

I recall reading plans where people planted small herb gardens by cutting into and using bags of potting soil. Don't have any links at hand though. Always struck me as a small scale way to get introduced to the wonders of trying to keep pests off your food.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

18 Character Limit posted:

I recall reading plans where people planted small herb gardens by cutting into and using bags of potting soil. Don't have any links at hand though. Always struck me as a small scale way to get introduced to the wonders of trying to keep pests off your food.

Eh, that can be pretty expensive (potting soil is SO STUPID EXPENSIVE, I make my own now), and the bags don't drain very well. Better to just use containers and try to augment local soils you can dig up.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

This is great. I can't wait to mess this up with gusto. I'm definitely going to try this.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm a complete dummy when it comes to growing things. I sometimes buy those potted basil plants at the store, but they always end up dying. I water it but, I don't know, maybe I water it too much? Maybe it's not getting enough sunlight? Either way it doesn't last long.

I live in an apartment that has a balcony, but I don't really get any direct sunlight. I also live in Seattle, so most of the year I don't get sunlight in general. Ideally I'd love to have a set of pots that hand off the balcony railing growing basil and rosemary. Thyme and cilantro would be cool too.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Haggins posted:

I'm a complete dummy when it comes to growing things. I sometimes buy those potted basil plants at the store, but they always end up dying. I water it but, I don't know, maybe I water it too much? Maybe it's not getting enough sunlight? Either way it doesn't last long.

I live in an apartment that has a balcony, but I don't really get any direct sunlight. I also live in Seattle, so most of the year I don't get sunlight in general. Ideally I'd love to have a set of pots that hand off the balcony railing growing basil and rosemary. Thyme and cilantro would be cool too.

Without knowing anything further, probably overwatering. When checking for water, stick the tip of your finger into the soil. If the top of the soil is dry and slightly crisp, and the just underneath is it also dry and crumbly, then water. If the dirt under the surface is cool, moist, and sticky, don't water. I worked at a very large hardware store chain in the outdoor lawn and garden section for a bit and the basil we had was basically unkillable as long as you didn't over water.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Haggins posted:

I think you'll have to keep the basil indoors for most of the year in the PNW, but rosemary will grow year round outdoors.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I think you'll have to keep the basil indoors for most of the year in the PNW, but rosemary will grow year round outdoors.

Yup, true.

Rosemary can also grow in a pot too....I have seen several older people here (Seattle) who grow it in pots because they can't garden outside well anymore. Also, bay tree grows well in a pot...I have one outside in my front garden but the guy across the street from us has one in a large pot that he brings inside in the late fall and winter, then moves back to the deck after it gets nice again.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Neighbors, I live in Seattle as well, and at my house we have a bush of basil growing out front that has survived the winter just fine. I have no secrets for what makes it grow well though. I just let it do its own thing. The sunlight might help a lot.

I've spend the last few months reading through this thread and have compiled many of the recipes and tips, which I am in the process of formatting and printing out to keep in a binder. I hate using a phone or laptop for reference when cooking. This way I can also write notes directly on the page. I've cooked my whole adult life, but I've gotten much better over time. I'd like to thank the posters of this thread for inspiring me to improve. I also spend as much on food for my girlfriend and I as I used to spend on just myself and eat much better. Rent went up another 20% this year, so saving money elsewhere is truly a godsend.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Has anyone tried ordering bulk beans from here?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/38111/dried-beans.html

60-80 c/lbs. In the store around me its about 1.20-1.50/lbs depending on the bean.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Massasoit posted:

Has anyone tried ordering bulk beans from here?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/38111/dried-beans.html

60-80 c/lbs. In the store around me its about 1.20-1.50/lbs depending on the bean.

haven't tried it, but out of curiosity: did you include shipping costs when calculating/comparing the costs?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I did not and thought about that after I posted. I'm going to investigate when I get home from work.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Shipping is pretty crazy- this site is based in Lancaster, PA, I'm in Richmond, VA.

Cost for 20 lbs of kidney beans- $15.99
Shipping on the same- $17.98

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Veritek83 posted:

Shipping is pretty crazy- this site is based in Lancaster, PA, I'm in Richmond, VA.

Cost for 20 lbs of kidney beans- $15.99
Shipping on the same- $17.98

Moving 20 pounds of anything is gonna cost about that much. That's the downside of buying homegoods online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Yeah, that's not a surprisingly high charge for shipping, but it's really only cost-effective in massive bulk and probably not for individuals or families.