Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
That's good to hear! Another thing I should mention is that my wife uses Notes extensively. Would an iTunes backup include Notes from iCloud and email accounts, or only the ones under "on my iPhone"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not an answer, but for info if on the phone you go to Settings - General - Storage and iCloud Usage - Manage Storage under the iCloud section, you can get more of a breakdown of what's actually using her iCloud space.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
So yesterday I took a photo of a bruise on my leg, looking down, and iPhone automatically oriented the photo as if I was taking it from a front view. Am I going crazy or is this some feature I didn't know about? Just struck me as weird..

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

spongeworthy posted:

So yesterday I took a photo of a bruise on my leg, looking down, and iPhone automatically oriented the photo as if I was taking it from a front view. Am I going crazy or is this some feature I didn't know about? Just struck me as weird..

What? A "front view" means to me that the picture changed to the angle it would have if someone else was holding the camera and pointing it at your leg. If this happened then your iPhone is actually haunted, which may or may not be a feature.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing he means he was holding the phone upside-down, and the phone automatically rotated the image right side up. It definitely does do that.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

tuyop posted:

What? A "front view" means to me that the picture changed to the angle it would have if someone else was holding the camera and pointing it at your leg. If this happened then your iPhone is actually haunted, which may or may not be a feature.

That is exactly what happened.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I'm guessing he means he was holding the phone upside-down, and the phone automatically rotated the image right side up. It definitely does do that.

I did a lot of searching and couldn't find any references to this.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

I did a lot of searching and couldn't find any references to this.

The iPhone will detect which way is 'down-most' when you're holding the camera, so that landscape photos can be landscape and right-way-up no matter if you hold it with the earpiece to the left or to the right. This also works for portrait photos, so you can take photos upside down if you want, for whatever reason.

It just rotates the photo so 'down' (as in, the direction of gravity) is the same when you view it as when you take it. It's not magic, it's a 180 degree rotation. The phone just doesn't know that you were looking at it from above, it only knows which was gravity was pointing.

edit: I just tried it and it doesn't actually do it for portrait mode (I thought it had, in the past?), but if the photo was landscape, it does.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 30, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

spongeworthy posted:

That is exactly what happened.

I'm serious about the haunting because that's pretty much impossible.

Here is a picture of a marker taken as if the marker is taking a dick pic. It was also held upside down in portrait and the phone rotated it automatically.

Here's a picture of the marker as if the marker's JO buddy was taking the dick pic. A "front view" if you will.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

But what about

Taking a dick pic of the guy on the left with the rear camera. Guy on the left has to crane his head over to see what's going on on the screen, so he sees the picture "right side up" to his upside-down eyes. Phone sees it as no different than the midget on the right taking the pic, a 'front view', if you will.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm loving all these dick pics tips.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

But what about

Taking a dick pic of the guy on the left with the rear camera. Guy on the left has to crane his head over to see what's going on on the screen, so he sees the picture "right side up" to his upside-down eyes. Phone sees it as no different than the midget on the right taking the pic, a 'front view', if you will.

Yeah, it's possible a JO boi is haunting the OP here. I agree.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Ha, thanks guys. The "front view" bit was because I was holding the phone far out in front of my leg, but it was still upside down. Interesting behaviour anyhow.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I'm curious about something here. When I was over with Android I could click a YouTube link or something and have the phone be smart enough to open the YT app if I had it installed. On iOS it seems like if I click a YT link it'll take me to Safari instead and then there I can hit a button to take me to the YT app instead.

Is there any way to make fix this so I can just click all the YT links I want and open the app properly as it should or is this just an Apple thing and I'll have to deal?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Depends on the formatting of the link iirc. Sometimes it'll open the appropriate app of a link is formatted properly. It's pretty hit and miss in iOS tbh. Might be worth getting the app Opener

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You're probably clicking shortened URLS? It's only after Safari gets redirected that the prompt will offer the app.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I get routed to the YT app every time but I only click YT links maybe twice a week

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Something changed in iOS 9 where certain links will insist on using the app, and never let you get to the mobile site. We had to add an option in Awful.app to always jump right to the YouTube app for those links instead of opening in a webview.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I hate how you HAVE to jump into the YT app. I wish here was an option.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like going to the app because I know it'll be logged in, whereas the webview in different apps doesn't seem to know that.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I like the app because it can go into landscape mode without me having to disable portrait lock.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah I hate how you HAVE to jump into the YT app. I wish here was an option.
Not sure if you saw it but it's come up in the iPad and iOS threads:

japtor posted:

I'm not sure what blockers do it, but I'm using Refine for it, I figure it should work in any that let you do custom rules.

From what I can tell you basically just block "youtube. com" (notice the space in there):

I don't know if it still works (gently caress the piece of poo poo YouTube app) but it did last time I had it installed. This is all from Safari though, I'm not sure about YouTube links from other apps.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

noirstronaut posted:

I like the app because it can go into landscape mode without me having to disable portrait lock.

+1, I'm in portrait lock 99% of the time and that's really useful.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So my wife has a perfectly functioning 5S, though the rear housing and edges kinda been beaten to poo poo. She refused to use a case on it and after messing with it for a few hours I can see why--the phone is pretty much the perfect size, though the keyboard's a little small for my sausage fingers. The vibrate motor's goofed up too--it works, but not ideally.

Looking online, it seems like I can pick up a rear housing with most of the minor components (vibrate motor, camera lens, speaker) for about $30.

Has anyone here done a rear housing replacement on the 5S? How difficult was it, and did it work okay after you had it all set up or did you have to reopen it a bunch of times to reconnect cables?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I have an iPhone 5c where the power/lock button is kind of slanted/pushed in slightly on one end. It still works but I have to use more force and it doesn't feel as solid as it used to. Is this something I can take to an Apple Store to have fixed while I wait? I'm gonna have the display and the battery replaced as well so I figure I might as well get everything in good working order.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, they should be able to take care of that for you.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's literally just dirty. Get a qtip and rubbing alcohol then go to town on it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My Apple Music trail expired and all my songs from Apple Music have disappeared from playlists. i was hoping to use those to buy some songs I liked... any way to get them back?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What's the fix for when an app has an update available and you update it but after it finishes it just says "Update" again and the App Store badge notification never goes away?

I restarted my phone and that didn't change anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Try tapping Updates 10 times in App Store

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Delete the app and redownload it. Unless it has a lot of stuff stored locally you don't want to lose. I've never had that happen though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Try tapping Updates 10 times in App Store
Tried that, no dice :v:

Pivo posted:

Delete the app and redownload it. Unless it has a lot of stuff stored locally you don't want to lose. I've never had that happen though.
Tried this too, but when I went to redownload it, it doesn't download the app and instead just says "Update" :suicide:

e: Checked the Facebook page for this app and the devs posted that they knew about these issues a couple days ago and were working on it but I guess they haven't released a new version yet.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 3, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

As a former (and not so great) iOS dev I kinda want to know how they managed to gently caress it up like that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is it an iPad by any chance ? I've had massive App Store problems on my mini 2.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pivo posted:

As a former (and not so great) iOS dev I kinda want to know how they managed to gently caress it up like that
This app has had issues in the past too. A lot of the time it works as intended, but there's been a decent amount of bugs too. I'm pretty sure they don't have a big team working out the kinks over there.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is it an iPad by any chance ? I've had massive App Store problems on my mini 2.
Nah, iPhone 6.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What's the fix for when an app has an update available and you update it but after it finishes it just says "Update" again and the App Store badge notification never goes away?

I restarted my phone and that didn't change anything.

I had one do this too. I deleted the app and the only thing that even bothered me was the badge that wouldn't go away so I just turned off badges for the App Store because who really needs those anyway?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Tried that, no dice :v:
Tried this too, but when I went to redownload it, it doesn't download the app and instead just says "Update" :suicide:

e: Checked the Facebook page for this app and the devs posted that they knew about these issues a couple days ago and were working on it but I guess they haven't released a new version yet.

I had this problem with an app, and I just gave up because it was something I don't think I ever used

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Endless Mike posted:

I had this problem with an app, and I just gave up because it was something I don't think I ever used
Yeah, I would if I could, but this is for MoviePass (a monthly paid service that lets you see a movie per day in participating theaters) which I use a whole lot, and being able to use the service depends on being able to check into movie showtimes in the app and now I can't do that at all. I can call their customer support and do a phone check-in which I've had to do a few times before when the app's had issues, but the main method of checking in is totally borked.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

I forgot just how much I loved the flat look of the 5/5S. It really is the best looking phone I've ever seen.

Phthisis posted:

The 5 form factor was the best of any phone ever.
I too was a fan of the 5, but while it was out, everyone said it was crap and how the 4 was the pinnacle of smartphone design.

I will say the 6 is not as nice as the 5, however.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Blimpkin posted:

The only ringtone worth having at this point is any remix of Marimba that you like.
I've had the CTU ringtone since my first phone, the Sony Ericsson T610, circa 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I'm looking at the Apple support page for out-of-warranty repair and let me see if I've got this straight: I request a repair, they charge me the full cost of the replacement phone (pretty high, the cost of a 5c is $100 more than a new 5s :wtf: ), then when they send me the replacement I send them my original and they determine whether it's eligible for repair. If it is, they refund me the "cover charge" and what they keep is the repair fee, but if it's not eligible, they don't refund me anything? What could make it not eligible? I don't want to send my phone in and then have them be like "not eligible, thanks for the cash" for whatever reason.