Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Re the 15 watt, does anyone know if it has enough muscle to be heard clearly during practice with a drummer? I know my 30 does, but duh, it has plenty of power. I'm not worried about live cause we can just mic my amp, but practice is a different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Depends on the drummer, the cab and the room, but 15 watts is ~probably~ enough for practice. It'll be nearly dimed though, so don't expect cleans.

I'd personally keep the 30 for the extra headroom. ~~*~handwired~*~~ doesn't mean the 15 will sound like magical unicorns, it just means it's more prone to issues and costs more. The big advantage of the 15 is you can get power tube saturation more easily because of the lower volume.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hypnolobster posted:

Depends on the drummer, the cab and the room, but 15 watts is ~probably~ enough for practice. It'll be nearly dimed though, so don't expect cleans.

I'd personally keep the 30 for the extra headroom. ~~*~handwired~*~~ doesn't mean the 15 will sound like magical unicorns, it just means it's more prone to issues and costs more. The big advantage of the 15 is you can get power tube saturation more easily because of the lower volume.

How much do I have to pay for unicorns?

Eta: also, if I keep the 30, can I run a line from the 15 to the 30 to use its twin alnico blues?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
keep the 30, it always is better to have too much wattage than not enough.

I tell myself this running a 120w/200w set up.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

The Bananana posted:

Eta: also, if I keep the 30, can I run a line from the 15 to the 30 to use its twin alnico blues?

just buy new speakers for 30? or run it into an extension cab as well?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The Bananana posted:

Most of the AC30s look like their speakers are wired internally. If you don't mind opening the cabinet up and unsoldering them, you could hook them up to your 15 if you want. Personally, I don't think that the 15 would in reality be leaps and bounds quieter though -- loudness and power have a logarithmic relationship after all.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Smash it Smash hit posted:

keep the 30, it always is better to have too much wattage than not enough.

I tell myself this running a 120w/200w set up.

I run a Peavey VTM and an original Butcher paired into oversized 412 cabs, so I understand.

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
Anyone have opinions on the orange cr120 solid state head? I'm converting one of my guitars to a baritone and planning to put fairly thick strings on it, and its my understanding that lower frequencies sound better having a lot of watts behind them.

Hi-wattage tube stuff is out of my price range so though I own a couple of small tube heads for normal guitars, Im looking to go solid state on this one. And I like orange stuff, I have a tiny terror and absolutely love it.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Harvey Wallbanger posted:

Anyone have opinions on the orange cr120 solid state head? I'm converting one of my guitars to a baritone and planning to put fairly thick strings on it, and its my understanding that lower frequencies sound better having a lot of watts behind them.

Hi-wattage tube stuff is out of my price range so though I own a couple of small tube heads for normal guitars, Im looking to go solid state on this one. And I like orange stuff, I have a tiny terror and absolutely love it.

I have seen one two piece doom band use one, pretty good/heavy. I would reccomend it.

or just buy a used sunn :getin:

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
That's also a good idea. Don't know much about sunns, should I be on the lookout for particular models?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Looking into getting a proper tube head, and I figured I'd ask folks with more experience on some questions I had before I start the process of committing to anything. Budget is around 1k, although I'm not opposed to going lower (or waiting a while and going higher). I'll be building any cabs myself, because it's cheaper and more rewarding, plus I know the sort of construction I like in a cabinet. Got a pair of Eminence Governors for the current cab project, because 2 x 12 is the most I can justify using at the moment and cabs can be miked anyway.

Tonewise, looking for something that can handle doom-y metal/rock, closer to Witchcraft than Electric Wizard. I've been leaning towards Orange, because I like the sound, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Is an attenuator a good starting accessory, and any recommendations? I'd like the option for bedroom playing/not pissing off my neighbors.

At this stage, I'm thinking that I've really overbudgeted and might be best served with a Micro Dark for tube sound when I need it but headphones for all the time I'll have at home, not playing with other people, but it's nice to hear suggestions.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I like attenuators a lot, but I don't think I'd recommend one for that sound. It doesn't seem to be about power tube saturation.

You could get a Thunderverb 50 to do Witchcraft. It's got about that sound, kind of what it's built to do. I'm not sure what the used ones go for, but I saw a listing for $1150. The "attenuator" in the TV50 would get you down to bedroom levels without changing the tone that much, but it works differently than a normal attenuator and doesn't really give that cranked amp sound. I'm sort of disenchanted with my TV50 because Witchcraft is about what it sounds like, and I had been naively expecting it to do more of a cranked Marshall thing, which it doesn't have the edge for. I keep trying to fall in love with it, then wishing like hell it had a presence control. But it would be a good stoner/doom amp.

I think there are cheaper Orange options that try to be smaller Thunderverbs.

Cheaper option: silverface Bassman + a good fuzz pedal, no attenuator required. You could also get an old Laney, which has the sort of dark hefty tone you're after, would still need a fuzz I think.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Hedningen posted:

Looking into getting a proper tube head, and I figured I'd ask folks with more experience on some questions I had before I start the process of committing to anything. Budget is around 1k, although I'm not opposed to going lower (or waiting a while and going higher). I'll be building any cabs myself, because it's cheaper and more rewarding, plus I know the sort of construction I like in a cabinet. Got a pair of Eminence Governors for the current cab project, because 2 x 12 is the most I can justify using at the moment and cabs can be miked anyway.

Tonewise, looking for something that can handle doom-y metal/rock, closer to Witchcraft than Electric Wizard. I've been leaning towards Orange, because I like the sound, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Is an attenuator a good starting accessory, and any recommendations? I'd like the option for bedroom playing/not pissing off my neighbors.

At this stage, I'm thinking that I've really overbudgeted and might be best served with a Micro Dark for tube sound when I need it but headphones for all the time I'll have at home, not playing with other people, but it's nice to hear suggestions.

You might also check out the Orange OR15. It's less fizzy sounding than the dark terror. It can be switched to 7 watts for bedroom use, but the 7 watts is still pretty loud. After the kid has gone to bed even at 7 watts I can barely bring up the volume when the gain is set to %50 plus. I've been toying with the idea of getting an attenuator for it. I've got it plugged into a Marshal 4x12. The OR15 also has an effects loop which is nice.

https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-heads/or-series/or15h-amp-head/

They run $700 new.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I think the Hughes & Kettner Attax 80 combo that I bought in 1994 finally crapped out.

I'm thinking of getting a used Peavey ValveKing 1x12 combo. Are there any comparable options for a tube combo amp around $200-250?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hedningen posted:

There's always this:

https://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-metal-100

I know I recommend Blackstar a lot but they are just so versatile, like a modern take on a Marshall.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

You might also check out the Orange OR15. It's less fizzy sounding than the dark terror. It can be switched to 7 watts for bedroom use, but the 7 watts is still pretty loud. After the kid has gone to bed even at 7 watts I can barely bring up the volume when the gain is set to %50 plus. I've been toying with the idea of getting an attenuator for it. I've got it plugged into a Marshal 4x12. The OR15 also has an effects loop which is nice.

https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-heads/or-series/or15h-amp-head/

They run $700 new.

Seconding this. I love mine with all of my heart. It's a simple as dirt amp with a surprising amount of variety.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
My favorite amp right now is a Catalinbread Gallieo running into a EHX 44 magnum running into a Peavey Vyper 112 cabinet that has it's stock speaker replaced with a Vintage 30 my tech had lying around and was like, hey do you want this? I think I spent the most money on the Gallieo then the 44 Magnum, then the 112 Cab .

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
just got some new JJ KT88s to replace my Sovtek 6550s :getin:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
So was busing my head with a eurotubes bias probe and the 1st slot tube doesn't give me a reading.

Also it doesn't seem to get as hot as the other tubes and doesn't get that blue how going.

I tried different tubes in the slot and the same thing happens in that same socket, is this a faulty socket? It does light the tube up just not as significant as the others nor that blue hue

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So was busing my head with a eurotubes bias probe and the 1st slot tube doesn't give me a reading.

Also it doesn't seem to get as hot as the other tubes and doesn't get that blue how going.

I tried different tubes in the slot and the same thing happens in that same socket, is this a faulty socket? It does light the tube up just not as significant as the others nor that blue hue

Just spitballing because I don't know what amp you got, but are they all the same type of tube and the same function? It might just be doing a different thing. Also try cleaning the socket, tube sockets do get dirty and it makes weird things happen.

e: Although remember that amp voltages are screwy as gently caress and you miiiiiight wanna have someone else do that because it can hurt you pretty badly if you screw it up.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Re the 15 watt, does anyone know if it has enough muscle to be heard clearly during practice with a drummer? I know my 30 does, but duh, it has plenty of power. I'm not worried about live cause we can just mic my amp, but practice is a different story.

It will be loud, the question if if you need headroom or not.

Also vox just announced an AC15 in head version if youre interested in that.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 18, 2016

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Shugojin posted:

Just spitballing because I don't know what amp you got, but are they all the same type of tube and the same function? It might just be doing a different thing. Also try cleaning the socket, tube sockets do get dirty and it makes weird things happen.

e: Although remember that amp voltages are screwy as gently caress and you miiiiiight wanna have someone else do that because it can hurt you pretty badly if you screw it up.

It's a kt88 as are the rest so I imagine it's suppose to push the ot?

I mean I am not poking around in it just bossing it via four different internal pots. It's a model t type clone fwiw, because I think I still have some contact cleaner and I'll spray that bad boy down

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there something which does the Blues Jr. thing but solid-state or at least hybrid? I am really digging my Micro Dark and 2x12 cab but it just can't do clean tones for poo poo. I was thinking of something like this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/dv_mark_micro_50.htm

But it's pretty bloody rare to find any examples of CLEAN small heads...

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Are you looking for a combo or head? What sort of wattage? I know the VHT Special 6 apparently does a good Fender impression with a bi more grit if you crank it. Head or combo. I've been thinking of grabbing one myself actually.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The VHT Special 6 is pretty decent but since it doesn't have built in reverb, you will want to get yourself a decent reverb pedal if you don't have one already.

I'm really liking my impulsed on sale THR 5 v2 though, it's a great reasonably quiet thing. I can plug headphones in or have just a low volume while doing other stuff and it's pretty versatile. Also IDed my mystery tube and replaced it, now I just need my little bit of contact cleaner for my old tube combo to get here and I should finish getting its noise down to much nicer levels. I never owned a tube amp until about a year ago and I'm learning stuff about them :kiddo: it's real good though.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
So recently I have noticed I get quieter when I hit my distortion box (currently a muff but happened on others too)

The way I have my amp set up is pregain around 4-5 and postgain maxed. Is the issue that my amps power section is maxed so the extra gain only squashes my sound? Would it make more sense to run my postgain around 7 and give the pedal room to push?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Due to the limited noises I actually need to make in one night, I've reverted back to the good old tube amp of my dreams.

It had a stainless grill on the back of the head that rattled like a bastard when on my cabinet. So rather than roll without a grill, cut up some aluminum c-channel protect my meat mittens.

So tell me, what are the best pedals in front of a 1959SL Plexi for some hard rock dirt? :rock:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 31, 2016

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Distortion+ -> fuzz face -> treble booster.

In before two pages of tube screamer.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

A decently built rat clone should get you pretty far too.

e: And yeah tube screamers are an old saw for a reason they're very solid things, use 'em if ya got 'em

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 31, 2016

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sockington posted:

So tell me, what are the best pedals in front of a 1959SL Plexi for some hard rock dirt? :rock:

What tuning do you use? I've found out that some Bass distortion boxes sound pretty freakin' sweet in front of a Super Lead, but in lower tunings, they don't cut it out as well.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
:o:

I would have gone with the ceramic magnet Ascension F70 to save like $200 but I wanted to bring the speaker's wattage rating to as close to the amp's max rated output as possible. And I just straight-up wanted a Fane, so this was my only option. Needs breaking in, it's a bit stiff, but it's 100x better than the busted old Utah speaker that I bought it with. (Ampeg GU12.)

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Going For Hendrix/Psych hard rock? Fuzzface
Going for Sabbath-era hard rock? Treble Booster (I know Iommi used Laney's but it still works)
Going for 80's metal? Distortion+, Boss SD-1, or Rat

I would love to push a Big Muff into one though, it seems like it'd literally be awesome.

Though if you wanna be a bluesdad, go for a Klone; be a boring gently caress with nice clipping.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Gorgar posted:

Distortion+ -> fuzz face -> treble booster.

In before two pages of tube screamer.

Was looking at ordering a used Dist+, but seen this locally for about the same price without the dickering I get for exchange rates :canada:

It's a modded DS-1 from what I've read. Hopefully gives that side of the amp a nice little push.

Edit: with low gain and medium volume, it works well with the Marshall side of the head, but put it on the sparkly clean no-gain Blackface Fender side of the head and holy shizzle :circlefap:

gently caress the neighbours. 11pm garage test needed to happen.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 1, 2016

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So there are approximately a million hybrid low wattage dirt heads such as the Micro Terror,. are there any fender-style clean heads? I am not precious as for solid state or hybrid.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

So there are approximately a million hybrid low wattage dirt heads such as the Micro Terror,. are there any fender-style clean heads? I am not precious as for solid state or hybrid.

I've heard decent things about the cleans on the VHT Special 6 head. If you can check one out try it. They're about $200 USD. Looks a lot like they took the Champ circuit and added a tone knob and a gain boost you access with a push/pull pot or footswitch.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My lord, I just hooked up my Micro Dark after a while and it is possessed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF98tl16a7o

Am I going mad? Is this 'just a thing' ? I've had the amp for a hair over 30 days for no-quibble return, but I think this qualifies as a fault for return for replacement or store credit? I think I've totally got the pox with tube amps :(

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I have heard a similar sound on two occasions, for two different reasons:

1) A crappy tube. Electro harmonix :argh:

2) A wonked out ground connection. In this case it was totally disconnected and so it was basically the peak of your noise but all the time.

Given that it's only when a cable is plugged in and occurs with every cable I'd suspect that the jack's ground has a not great joint on one end or the other. Your options are to exchange it, take it to a pro, or do some DIY. I'd exchange it at this point since it's the cheapest and easiest option.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So recently I have noticed I get quieter when I hit my distortion box (currently a muff but happened on others too)

The way I have my amp set up is pregain around 4-5 and postgain maxed. Is the issue that my amps power section is maxed so the extra gain only squashes my sound? Would it make more sense to run my postgain around 7 and give the pedal room to push?

Maybe you've figured this out by now (I don't read this thread often enough) but the perceived volume drop here is most likely to do with how mid scooped a muff is, and how they don't have that much output (compared to pedals meant to boost or whatever). Did you have any luck with the postgain down?

Going from non-scooped to scooped does wierd things to perception of loudness - its really obvious when you hear amateur bands do like grungy or screamo style clean to dirty dynamics and their clean sound sounds way louder because they scoop the poo poo out of their distorted sound.

E: anyone got a recommendation for a good free fender style ampsim vst? Bassman would be ideal but anything is fine.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

field balm posted:

E: anyone got a recommendation for a good free fender style ampsim vst? Bassman would be ideal but anything is fine.

You used to be able to gut guitar rig player for free which is like a cut down version of guitar rig meant to entice you into buying the full version but it comes with the plexi model which is the only model I use anyway. I'm not sure if its still available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
AmpliTube comes with two Fender style amp models and matching cabs. They don't work great for pushed sounds but for cleans they're, well, Fender cleans. Not Bassman's though. Deluxe Reverb and Super Reverb apparently.