Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

code:
can_hold_titles = no # Hopefully this will block Glitterhoof from becoming pope again

Well, I know what I'm going to be changing as soon as I get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

NewMars posted:

So, what are the interesting government names around? (the ones displayed in the Laws menu)

I think I managed to find them all in the files but I may have missed some:

Danelaw, Crusader State/Kingdom, Aztec Colony, Duchy/Kingdom of the Sun, Carolingan Hegemony, Kingdom of Terror (I have no idea what would give this), Ikh Mongol Uls and Romuvan Eldership.

Edit: There's also Anarchy, but that's a debug default.

Looks like you get (gov_tier) of Terror by having a demon child as ruler.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NewMars posted:

So, what are the interesting government names around? (the ones displayed in the Laws menu)

I think I managed to find them all in the files but I may have missed some:

Danelaw, Crusader State/Kingdom, Aztec Colony, Duchy/Kingdom of the Sun, Carolingan Hegemony, Kingdom of Terror (I have no idea what would give this), Ikh Mongol Uls and Romuvan Eldership.

Edit: There's also Anarchy, but that's a debug default.

Kingdom of the Sun must be a Zunist realm. You get no trouble from your religious head (if reformed) for discovering that the Earth revolves around the sun, you have the sun festivals, your religious holy order are the Sun Guardians, etc.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

A Conclave-unrelated question for Groogy:

Are you ever planning to implement something akin to the Ruler Designer, but for custom kingdoms/empires? I find it odd that there is a very similar system in place for both dynastic coats-of-arms and player characters, but none for realms. Seems like you could use the existing framework without having to design something from the ground up? That way, we would also no longer be forced to use a ducal icon for a kingdom-level title.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Well it is starting to be relevant now when we have added on so much actual content to the realm but when we did those DLC's there weren't really much to customize with a realm other than maybe what they own.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Groogy posted:

Well it is starting to be relevant now when we have added on so much actual content to the realm but when we did those DLC's there weren't really much to customize with a realm other than maybe what they own.

It would be fun to add the custom nation mechanic from EU4. Just click on a couple of provinces to make a custom realm, choose the type and how many holdings are pre-generated, and have at it.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Groogy posted:

Am I reading too much into your reply here, or are you implying that this feature is being considered as part of a paid DLC? I mean, it would still be better than not having that functionality, but I already found the 'Customizer' DLC to be very underwhelming for any extra charge. :/

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
With Conclave, I'm playing a Norse (Germanic) Tribal (custom-starting in Ireland). Interesting with the new concil mechanics. Need to get to holy sites to reform, but they're all in Scandinavia or in the giant Francia blob.

Elective Gavelkind also puts a spin on things -- each succession, I have to reunify what I unified before.

But it's fun.

(I also modded in a custom culture, so it uses names from my own fantasy writing/invented language, which is pretty nice to see in game. Yes huge nerd.)

Any pro pagan tribal tips or advice to heed?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

alcaras posted:

Any pro pagan tribal tips or advice to heed?

reform asap, and once the viking era starts, raid your rear end off

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

reform asap, and once the viking era starts, raid your rear end off

He's in Ireland, there's no reforming until the viking age starts.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Also, is there a way to play multiple Ruler Designer characters in one game?

I'd like to play in one part of the map for 100 years and then start a custom char in another part of map (and then repeat every 100 years), but it looks like you can only ruler design once?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

alcaras posted:

I'd like to play in one part of the map for 100 years and then start a custom char in another part of map (and then repeat every 100 years), but it looks like you can only ruler design once?

That's right, you can only ruler design once. If you play a non-ironman game, you can use the console and ruler design to your heart's content except for age though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

alcaras posted:

Find whatever county you want to play as, use the create noble button to generate a new dynasty with no familial ties, and give the title to that character. You can then swap to playing as them, and it's basically the same thing.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Lastly, I keep seeing a pop up to assign commanders. What does this actually do -- make them eligible to command armies? Is there a way to automate it so it auto-assigns the highest martial dude as then next new commander? Is there any reason I shouldn't just do that?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

alcaras posted:

Lastly, I keep seeing a pop up to assign commanders. What does this actually do -- make them eligible to command armies? Is there a way to automate it so it auto-assigns the highest martial dude as then next new commander? Is there any reason I shouldn't just do that?

Commanders, your marshal, and you are the only ones that can lead armies. Aside from having the highest martial stats lead, characters can get leadership traits that far outweigh martial stats.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Schizotek posted:

I mostly hate the weird places it sends your armies. Making sure you have more than one battle per war is great tho.

Yeah, things like getting kicked from the Adriatic to the Black Sea have been pretty frustrating.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 24, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 24, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Commanders, your marshal, and you are the only ones that can lead armies. Aside from having the highest martial stats lead, characters can get leadership traits that far outweigh martial stats.

You also may or may not want to have your councillors as commanders, since sometimes it might happen that your steward has great martial skill too, but you'd rather have him collecting taxes (meaning even if you make him a commander he won't be available to lead armies).

On the other hand, given the new conclave mechanics, there could be good reasons to deliberately send malcontents into combat as often as possible while still keeping their council position.

Also like other minor titles, commanders give a bonus to relations when you assign them. So there's a bunch of reasons why you might want to assign them manually rather than just have them get automatically distributed to your highest martial subjects.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

alcaras posted:

These two are the sites you need to consult:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Combat_tactics

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Traits#Leadership

Leadership traits can be incredibly strong. Having someone with the siege leader trait makes it basically mandatory to make him a commander, since he can speed up sieges a lot. Holy warriors against religious enemies are just flat out great. Organizers making your armies faster give an enormous strategic advantage. Winter soldiers when you are trying to invade Northern Russia will eliminate a huge amount of attrition. Etc.

High martial scores as such are pretty useless, they only make using some bad generic tactics less likely. Chose commanders according to their leadership traits.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Doesn't Craven also gently caress you over?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I haven't played for a while, but it seems like it might be slower than it used to be. I'm I guess about 30 years into a Charlemagne start, and I timed a year in ironman, including saves, to take 1:12.

My processor isn't top-of-the-line, but I think it's still pretty decent, i7 4 GHz quad...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Clanpot Shake posted:

Doesn't Craven also gently caress you over?

A bunch of traits cause effects: Wroth, Craven, Stutter, Lisp, Sloth, Shy and Cruel can result in poorer tactics. Brave, Quick, Possessed, and Zealous can result in good tactics.

Stolen from the list here: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Combat_tactics

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You rear end in a top hat!! You made me into your goddamn tributary, why won't you loving intervene when Petty King Shitlord of Fuckoffia also declares war on me to make me his tributary??

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I haven't had a chance to play this yet, but that shattered retreat thing sounds awesome to me. Something like that is what I've wanted in this game since the beginning. I hated how easy it was to wipe out whole armies down to the last man. The wars/military part of the game was one of the weakest parts of the game IMO.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Some questions, with the female councilors map units dlc, do other culture groups aside from Western/Mongol get neat graphics? Is it just those two?

Also it's apparently possible to go full equality and such, does this also work for Muslims? I remember they had an annoying way to do female education alongside not being able to do matrilineal marriage. Is that all still in?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Kenzie posted:

I haven't had a chance to play this yet, but that shattered retreat thing sounds awesome to me. Something like that is what I've wanted in this game since the beginning. I hated how easy it was to wipe out whole armies down to the last man. The wars/military part of the game was one of the weakest parts of the game IMO.

You'd think so, but then you get a Host Invasion and spend years and years chasing the stack around even though you outnumber it massively because it only loses 20% per battle and then you have to chase it across the map. Through neutral terrain, so you take attrition too.

And the war never goes away because there's no territory competent in your favour (I think, I've quit out of annoyance)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is there a way to add people to slots 7 & 8 of the Royal Council without actually making them Chancellor/Spymaster etc? I landed a son as a powerful vassal who wanted to be on the council, so I thought maybe I could just appoint him to slot 7 or something, but I couldn't find a way to do it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The lack of a meaningful way for a woman to refuse to be seduced--she CAN but there's no penalty and the seducer can just immediately try again--has always been a glaring missed feature causing an imbalance. But I think Paradox's attitude about it is "it's just for funsies."

Yeah, I don't know quite how it works, but 'Rejected Seduction' should give a big penalty to relations on the seducer and future seduction attempts should autofail if relations are low (under -20 or so?). Rejecting seduction should probably also give a 'faithful spouse' modifier that lasts for X years and greatly reduces any attempt at seduction. Some traits should make gaining or losing these more or less likely, so some characters can be repeatedly pursued, but not most. It's pretty silly when you can turn seduction on and meet a character by the stream or at the ball a dozen times and just keep trying until it works.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A bunch of traits cause effects: Wroth, Craven, Stutter, Lisp, Sloth, Shy and Cruel can result in poorer tactics. Brave, Quick, Possessed, and Zealous can result in good tactics.

Stolen from the list here: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Combat_tactics

There are a couple of good traits that can also result in bad tactics like Patient and Organizer, too.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

Is there a way to add people to slots 7 & 8 of the Royal Council without actually making them Chancellor/Spymaster etc? I landed a son as a powerful vassal who wanted to be on the council, so I thought maybe I could just appoint him to slot 7 or something, but I couldn't find a way to do it.

The basic 8 slots are:

- The Big Five
- Advisor (for kings)
- Second Advisor (for emperors)
- Regent (during Regency)

And I found a problem with black slots. Just forgot to take the voter tag away from commanders after adding it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I don't know quite how it works, but 'Rejected Seduction' should give a big penalty to relations on the seducer and future seduction attempts should autofail if relations are low (under -20 or so?). Rejecting seduction should probably also give a 'faithful spouse' modifier that lasts for X years and greatly reduces any attempt at seduction. Some traits should make gaining or losing these more or less likely, so some characters can be repeatedly pursued, but not most. It's pretty silly when you can turn seduction on and meet a character by the stream or at the ball a dozen times and just keep trying until it works.

Related to this, I feel like if someone is attempting to seduce a married person, that person's opinion of their spouse should factor into the odds of them accepting. Not only does it make logical sense that someone with 100 opinion of their spouse wouldn't be willing to cheat on them with some nobody count they don't even particularly like, but it could also work to RAISE the odds if they have a negative opinion (and thus as a player you could deliberately seek out men/women in less than satisfactory relationships).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait a drat minute. All the modifiers for having Christians hate you seem to have been lowered.

What this means is that it is now even more impossible to get pope-claims or get people excommunicated, because they are almost never going to be in the negative with them.

Dammit, the pope really needs to have a patch dedicated to them at his point; if only to re-jigger all the mechanics around him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait a drat minute. All the modifiers for having Christians hate you seem to have been lowered.

What this means is that it is now even more impossible to get pope-claims or get people excommunicated, because they are almost never going to be in the negative with them.

Dammit, the pope really needs to have a patch dedicated to them at his point; if only to re-jigger all the mechanics around him.

Yeah, I noticed this too. But I mean who plays Catholic anymore? :rolleye:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Blimey, the coalitions don't pull any punches, do they!
Playing Charlemagne and the Saxon Wars triggered while the Danes were subjugating Saxony, so by the time I won, I also had Denmark and bits of Sweden and Norway!
At which point I got 200 infamy (capped to about 90% I think) and I had coalitions reaching as far as the Abbassids, Byzantines and Russians.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Related to this, I feel like if someone is attempting to seduce a married person, that person's opinion of their spouse should factor into the odds of them accepting. Not only does it make logical sense that someone with 100 opinion of their spouse wouldn't be willing to cheat on them with some nobody count they don't even particularly like, but it could also work to RAISE the odds if they have a negative opinion (and thus as a player you could deliberately seek out men/women in less than satisfactory relationships).
These actually are in the game. Opinion of the seducer matters in what events are likely to fire - lower opinion generally means events to raise opinion fire rather than events to attempt to tumble (>40 opinion is the breakpoint for pure tumble attempts, <0 cutoff for pure opinion raising events). And the target's opinion of their spouse does matter too. And there is an opinion penalty for a failed attempt.

They just aren't strong enough. Primarily the failure for seduction is only -15, I believe non stacking. So given enough time, seduction will pretty much always succeed as long as initial opinion starts off more than 15.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Is the general consensus that the features Conclave adds are not terribly entertaining? I seem to get back into the game after every expansion, for at least a few days, but the player reviews don't seem so encouraging. For me the game has long lost its original luster. Maybe it's time to move on.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

Is the general consensus that the features Conclave adds are not terribly entertaining? I seem to get back into the game after every expansion, for at least a few days, but the player reviews don't seem so encouraging. For me the game has long lost its original luster. Maybe it's time to move on.

Read the past few pages of the thread for this exact conversation. People here think it's mostly fun and good and cool, with a couple of balance things needing to be tweaked. People are angry on reddit and steam reviews, because they always are.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

So I find most of the Conclave stuff to be good but there is actually one thing about it that I really don't like, which is that assigning someone an Educator is now basically worthless. It's essentially just an honorary title that increases opinion now because Educators have almost no effect on how the kids turn out. Other than assigning Rowdy children a Brave mentor to slightly decrease the chance of them turning out retarded(it's also dumb that this can happen) there is no real benefit to the kid at all. Finding a good teacher for your kids used to be important and interesting, and now you just pick whichever stat you want them to be good at and hope for the best.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Conclave adds a lot to the mid/late game in that internal politics now matter - and you can hobble yourself early on by giving your councils power before they demand it of you, if you like (which I do!). There is a lot of hemming-and-hawing over how defeated armies retreat now, but as always that behavior can be modded and I'm sure it'll be looked at in a future hotfix or patch. I feel like I'll probably get my 15 bucks out of this DLC, and that's the best anyone can ask for when they throw their money away on videogames!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How come the wives of people halfway around the world keep visiting West Africa and forming NAPs with me? I managed to get an alliance with Scotland through tbis event.

• Locked thread