Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Man, I just don't have the energy in me to do a 1.5 hour spin session. I'm gonna sit this one out playing dragon age. I'm so loving tired from all the running and swimming and biking that I just want to chill ffs. Also no more coffee at work with all the lovely creamer and sugar means my weight is dropping like a rock. Down 4 lbs since Monday. Diet is such an rear end in a top hat for how much it affects you, and not just with weight. I've cut way back on all the poo poo I was eating now that I'm out of the woods with regards to teetotaling. Haven't touched a boozes since Dec 31st. Now to keep on track with not eating like poopie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

corn in the fridge posted:

I've read the book, I know what the word means.

Why do you care what word someone uses.

I know it's your Thing, to ask seemingly innocuous questions and then pretend to be confused when you get the answer you were looking for, so I'm not even sure why I'm responding to you.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"no listen if shakespeare didn't write it its not a word" i scribed 'pon my magic page

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Enourmo posted:

"no listen if shakespeare didn't write it its not a word" i scribed 'pon my magic page

Abide thee here while I describe excrement upon this most notorious site of wit and brevity

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Terrible Robot posted:

Why do you care what word someone uses.

I know it's your Thing, to ask seemingly innocuous questions and then pretend to be confused when you get the answer you were looking for, so I'm not even sure why I'm responding to you.

Scuz answered my question, that's fine. It's the other idiots falling over themselves to answer the question I didn't ask I was responding to.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Enourmo posted:

THEY FORGOT TO TURN THE HOT WATER VALVE BACK ON

great work guys A+

oh well at least it was an easy fix

You sure there's not a screw driver loving the world up?

scuz posted:

I've reached my wits end with my career. Nothing within the industry holds my interest or seems interesting which means I don't want to know any more about IT than I already do, and every task that's given to me is like pulling my own teeth since I have no interest in it. One motivator for me to get into IT instead of auto repair stuff was someone told me that the ceiling for wages is much higher in IT than automotive, but if I don't give half of the smallest rat's rear end about IT, how'm I gonna make any more money? :smith: Once I get my credit cards and student loans paid off, I'm gonna go find a fuckin job I like and devil-gives-a-gently caress about how much I make.

Works is called work, because if it was fun, we would call it "happy, oh gently caress you''re paying me for this poo poo?" time.

Its only worth changing careers when you see the writing on the wall, the industry is tanking, or you are so loving miserable you could shoot yourself.

Also remember mechanic shops are not like "Fast and Loud" or "Wheeler Dealers". They are either cold (especially in Minnesota), hot as balls, smelly, nasty places. A transition from a cushy desk gig to a nasty place is a hell of a change. Plus your co-workers are generally more coarse than the average IT office, so if your thin skinned, be prepared. Usually there are a couple nasty fuckers that will just rip on you for no reason other than the fact that you are breathing the same oxygen as they are.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You sure there's not a screw driver loving the world up?

well if one comes shooting out the bath faucet in the future i guess we'll know

hot water works at least

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Enourmo posted:

well if one comes shooting out the bath faucet in the future i guess we'll know

hot water works at least

It's more likely than you think...

Things I have fished/dug out of pipes/drains/toilets at work: a cellphone, a toothbrush, some kind of loving kitchen utensil, enough forks and spoons to make a dining set, earbud headphones

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

When making baked beans and wieners, add a splash of bbq sauce. Do it. Also, a lil dollop of mustard. Also finely diced onion, and put it on absolute minimum heat for like an hour, stirring occasionally.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Corn is my favorite poster.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Makes sense.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cage had been on point with the dry yet scathing burns as well

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It seems natural that poo poo and piss would go together.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

cage had been on point with the dry yet scathing burns as well

I know some sick Yo Mama jokes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

stevobob posted:

When making baked beans and wieners, add a splash of bbq sauce. Do it. Also, a lil dollop of mustard. Also finely diced onion, and put it on absolute minimum heat for like an hour, stirring occasionally.

god, onion makes everything better, why is it not more common in cheapman cooking

oh right cause most people dont know how to maintain their loving knives which makes chopping onions a pain in the rear end

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Gordon Ramsay shows how to make hella small onion diddlies with minimal effort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCGS067s0zo

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Enourmo posted:

god, onion makes everything better, why is it not more common in cheapman cooking

oh right cause most people dont know how to maintain their loving knives which makes chopping onions a pain in the rear end

i use Ramsay's method but it's still a pain in the rear end with a dull, machine-washed, not-sharpened-in-20-years kitchen knife that's stored in a drawer and chipped to gently caress

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

:golfclap:

stevobob posted:

Was waiting for him to start yelling at me. I like Gordon so much better when he doesn't have to "perform" for the camera.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

UK TV Gordon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> US TV Gordon

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

stevobob posted:

Do people not already do this? Best way to cut onions.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
People don't believe me that you can cut an onion without crying.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
But that poor onion had a family :(

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Geirskogul posted:

Do people not already do this? Best way to cut onions.

I do radial cuts, and skip the board-parallel cuts entirely.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

"I just cheat and use my mandoline," he said, shrugging, the six and a half fingers left on his hands lending credence to his tale.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Goober Peas posted:

So well in fact, I was pissing poo poo earlier today! :haw:

(it was not fun)

MrChips posted:

"I just cheat and use my mandoline," he said, shrugging, the six and a half fingers on his left hand lending credence to his tale.

No joke, this is what I just read.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MrChips posted:

"I just cheat and use my mandoline," he said, shrugging, the six and a half fingers left on his hands lending credence to his tale.

I lost the tip of two fingers to a mandoline.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My grandma fell and is in the ER. Thank god my uncle lives with her now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just scored a $150 assembled Megasquirt 2.2 complete with harness. No stim unit but the dude tells me it passed tests after he built it a long time ago.

Dunno what it's going into.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My grandma fell and is in the ER. Thank god my uncle lives with her now.
I hope she gets better quickly :(

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Ok if you have a jeep that wont start and thinks its in reverse only sometimes very rarely, it might have a bad shifter assembly switch all in one thing, 700 dollar part our cost 1300 from the dealer. Stopping at failed continuity test between switch and front control module. Cant wait to be told to put the old starter back in tomarrow.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 4, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

Ok if you have a jeep that wont start and thinks its in reverse only sometimes very rarely, it might have a bad shifter assembly switch all in one thing, 700 dollar part our cost 1300 from the dealer. Stopping at failed continuity test between switch and front control module. Cant wait to be told to put the old starter back in tomarrow.

Ask me about a rubbing driveshaft on an FG falcon that was totally absolutely definitely the wrong hanger bearing and under no circumstances the wrong guibo like I said it was, nope.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Just threw 436 dollars at RockAuto. Last time it took for-fuckin-ever to get parts delivered because the ferries weren't running in high winds. Hope the weather doesn't gently caress me again.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I keep buying this guy's stuff. I know it seems a bit expensive, but compared to raw prices for the ABS sheets he's having to buy, plus the time lost for patterning and cutting, it's actually a pretty okay deal. I'm loving addicted. This piece plus another one will mark the completion of the "structural interior trim," as I want to call it, for the bus. From here on out it will be stuff like building the bed, figuring out how to mount the bench backwards, etc. I'm super stoked.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Enourmo posted:

i use Ramsay's method but it's still a pain in the rear end with a dull, machine-washed, not-sharpened-in-20-years kitchen knife that's stored in a drawer and chipped to gently caress

Go spend twenty bucks on a Victorinox chef's knife on Amazon, and stab anyone who tries to dishwasher it.

Knives are one of those tools that it's worth getting a good one of rather than soldiering on with a hosed one. Safer too.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 4, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Liquid Communism posted:

Go spend twenty bucks on a Victorinox chef's knife on Amazon, and stab anyone who tries to dishwasher it.

Knives are one of those tools that it's worth getting a good one of rather than soldiering on with a hosed one. Safer too.

And, for the love of whatever you find holy, do not use a pull-through knife sharpener.

Get a Spiderco Sharpmaker.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

We have one of the top IT guy's sons in today for work experience. He's 15, has long greasy hair, a pubestache and has very clearly been outside little in his life or interacted with real human beings outside of the internet.

Why is this sort of thing not punishable as child abuse?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Raluek posted:

And, for the love of whatever you find holy, do not use a pull-through knife sharpener.

Or, a real stone. Or, set of stones, for like $25. It's what I use, mainly the "fine" block. Add some 3-in-1 oil and you're good to go. My cheapass walmart knives from a decade ago live on!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Raluek posted:

I get my knives sharpened at the local cooking supply store. They charge $7.50 per knife, they make sure to grind the bolster correctly and they'll even sharpen serrated knives. And they'll sharpen anything for you. Lawnmower blades, blender/food processor blades, basically anything with a sharp edge.

If you keep the edge maintained with a steel, your knives should only need to be sharpened once a year or so.

Plus, it's super fun to browse the store while your knives are being sharpened. I know I don't really need a 5hp stick blender that looks more like an outboard engine than a kitchen appliance, but goddammit I want one.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I know exactly which store you're talking about. :D

(I want a 5hp outboard immersion blender too. Along with half of the rest of the stuff they have there.)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Raluek posted:

My parents swear by these things. They had a set of really good 50 year old knives I could have inherited then they started using a pull through every single time they take one out of the block. There's nothing left of most of them.

E: funnily enough my dad taught me to sharpen knives properly too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

I know exactly which store you're talking about. :D

(I want a 5hp outboard immersion blender too. Along with half of the rest of the stuff they have there.)

I buy literally all my kitchen supplies there. It's kinda expensive, but that's because they don't sell cheap poo poo like you'd find in most supermarkets. And it will never ever break.

In completely unrelated news, holy poo poo the Copenhell 2016 band lineup is looking fine as gently caress:

Abbath
Alice Cooper
Amon Amarth
August Burns Red
Beartooth
Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian
Clawfinger
Converge
Dark Funeral
Decapitated
Dropkick Murphys