Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Magic cards do not have normal supply curves because magic players have price memory issues and won't sell their stormbreath dragon they bought for $30 for less because it's gonna be worth that much again someday!!!!

Yeah dude. We all act like prices we're buying inelastic goods or maybe even Veblen goods. Gotta have that cardboard crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Huh it looks like Wasteland hasn't dipped at all in price since the expedition came out

Weird

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Literally The Worst posted:

Huh it looks like Wasteland hasn't dipped at all in price since the expedition came out

Weird

wait until the summer set

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

You're reading it backwards. The new version costs more. This does not make the old one cost significantly less

"Expedition" style reprints don't necessarily need to be premium foils with new art. If they were literally the same card with a special symbol the price would (probably) fall. The rarity+foil+new art is a big reason the expys are so pricy, IMO.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Expeditions don't do anything appreciable for Modern prices, but including them in sets helps drive down Standard prices, since people cracking packs for expeditions end up increasing the supply of Standard cards.

In theory combining expeditions with mass reprints of normal cards would let ~true value collectors~ have their ungodly expensive versions of cards while allowing cardboard peasants to still have access the manabases needed to play the game. Without mass reprints there's not much point, though; who needs an extra-expensive version of a card whose cheap version costs $100?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's funny whenever these arguments break out because clearly people want the ~rare pepe~ versions of cards. Yet they'll vehemently rage against reprinting those same cards at common, afraid that their original versions will crash in price. :3:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chill la Chill posted:

It's funny whenever these arguments break out because clearly people want the ~rare pepe~ versions of cards. Yet they'll vehemently rage against reprinting those same cards at common, afraid that their original versions will crash in price. :3:

Polluted Delta from Onslaught costs literally a third what it did pre Khans and that was at rare

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah mox boarding house holds one week a month. Usually gets 20-40 players actually.

Sup, Mox buddy?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Polluted Delta from Onslaught costs literally a third what it did pre Khans and that was at rare

Yeah and it's still worth more than the peasant version. You can have both. I'll be happy trading my expensive goyfs for the cheap goatse goyfs and you can play with your $100 ones.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah and it's still worth more than the peasant version. You can have both. I'll be happy trading my expensive goyfs for the cheap goatse goyfs and you can play with your $100 ones.

But they won't be a hundred dollars. That's what you're missing. You're really bad at this whole thinking thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"Hmm if reprinting the cards at rare caused them to drop by 2/3s printing them at common will do exactly the same thing"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

But they won't be a hundred dollars. That's what you're missing. You're really bad at this whole thinking thing.

They will be because you see, we have this thing called price memory.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chill la Chill posted:

They will be because you see, we have this thing called price memory.

And we all know that that is a firm and inflexible thing that doesn't cave in the face of a massive new supply flooding the market

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

And we all know that that is a firm and inflexible thing that doesn't cave in the face of a massive new supply flooding the market

Correct. Wizard cardboard is price inelastic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chill la Chill posted:

Mmmmmmmmmm no

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chill la Chill posted:

Mmmmmmmmmm no

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

What's a metaphor

A race of creatures that Urza made for troops for the Phyrexian invasion. They're blue.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Is it not possible to discuss this civilly?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I know I'm being trolled by the great Dickeye, but I'm responding in good faith. Mtgfinance types love raving about price memory, which implies inelasticity, and people enjoying the rarer versions of cards. If that's true, then what are you afraid of if the same card is reprinted at common? Surely people will want the rare version more, thus keeping its price.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Chill la Chill posted:

I know I'm being trolled by the great Dickeye, but I'm responding in good faith. Mtgfinance types love raving about price memory, which implies inelasticity, and people enjoying the rarer versions of cards. If that's true, then what are you afraid of if the same card is reprinted at common? Surely people will want the rare version more, thus keeping its price.

We just talked about how it wasn't true for Onslaught fetches once those were reprinted, to a pretty significant degree.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chill la Chill posted:

Because it's literally not true. They retain some value, but not all of it, as evidenced by the ONS fetches plummeting

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MiddleEastBeast posted:

We just talked about how it wasn't true for Onslaught fetches once those were reprinted, to a pretty significant degree.

Are you telling me that mtgfinance buzzword price memory isn't a real thing? :ohdear:

In any case, the funny thing is that a lot of people here accuse me of not liking magic and preferring to play eurogames (which may be true), but it seems like I advocate for more people being able to play magic than a lot of people who value their collections more.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Is it not possible to discuss this civilly?

literally no one who posts about magic prices or attempts to make money off of magic has the slightest understanding of economics or finance least of all Wizards of the Coast

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

black potus posted:

literally no one who posts about magic prices or attempts to make money off of magic has the slightest understanding of economics or finance least of all Wizards of the Coast

Hire me Wizards

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

you'd fit right in!!!!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

black potus posted:

you'd fit right in!!!!

I think it's safe to say I understand economics better than WotC currently does

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hm maybe I should change the topic of my economics term paper from something to do with current events in the middle east to magical trading cards.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Chill la Chill posted:

Are you telling me that mtgfinance buzzword price memory isn't a real thing? :ohdear:

I can't tell if you're trolling me now, so I'll post this in good faith.

edit: and for what it's worth, I'd love for unaffordable formats to become more affordable, and I have a collection that would take a fairly sizeable hit if that came about in a way similar to the chart above

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 4, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

We need to make Modern easier to get into, but we'd better not lower the price of any Modern card in any way.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lottery of Babylon posted:

We need to make Modern easier to get into, but we'd better not lower the price of any Modern card in any way.

Yeah I agree that would be a dumb thing to say, good thing nobody here said that

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A race of creatures that Urza made for troops for the Phyrexian invasion. They're blue.

And they're from 2000. Clearly they're what's returning for Shadows of Innistrad.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah I agree that would be a dumb thing to say, good thing nobody here said that

That's a pretty common internal inconsistency you see on other message boards about the price of modern.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chairman Pow! posted:

That's a pretty common internal inconsistency you see on other message boards about the price of modern.

Well yeah but it wasn't really germane to "what effect will various types of reprint have on card prices"

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Did they abolish 2HG on MODO yet? I vaguely remember that was a thing people were making a stink about

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I can't wait until rotation when people start actually playing with Mirrorpool on MTGO and get blown out by not realizing you have to know how to hold priority in order to copy a removal spell.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cactrot posted:

explain further.

Swype turned Modern into Standard. Idk how or why.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

The Onslaught fetch reprint in Khans is actually a good example of a successful reprint, I would say. The originals are not as expensive as they were, but they are still more expensive than pieces of cardboard have any right to be. The new versions are still valuable (less so than the originals, which is good for collectors) and at one point during their standard stay were about as affordable as you could ever reasonably expect them to be.
The problem is that this type of helpful reprint has never been done for any in demand (at the time) modern staples, the format that is the cause of most of the insane price spikes of recent times and what is causing many players grief.
Reprint Snapcaster, enemy fetches, etc. in standard at rare and with new art. Problem solved. Don't wait 10 years or so to do it like they did with fetches and all is good.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Not likely.

just rust posted:

Don't wait 10 years or so to do it

Not likely.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
The best comparison imo is probably Thoughtseize, right? How did that affect things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Alris posted:

The best comparison imo is probably Thoughtseize, right? How did that affect things?

Thoughtseize was at about $40 up until sometime around Gatecrash, when it jumped up to $60. Theros pushed it back down to $40, where it's been since.

It was kinda nice but you can't just do that for one card per year and make any headway. I guess it's better than this year, when WotC did the same for no cards at all.

• Locked thread