Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

Bizarre universe? We're talking about Sonic. Here lies weird poo poo on the internet.

Oh trust me I know.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I love this twitter.
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/675385045465481216

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
merry christmas
https://soundcloud.com/itsamike/sonic-the-hedgehog

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That's fantastic.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
best line at 0:25 his arms of blue or tan

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Today I was thinking about why most people think Sonic The Hedgehog 2 is the best Sonic game. I disagree with those people, I think Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best. I would probably have a higher opinion of Sonic 2 if its special stages weren't so difficult and stressful.

Thanks, I hope you are all having a fantastic christmas vacation.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They are easier if you play alone.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I miss Long John Baldry

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

beep by grandpa posted:

Today I was thinking about why most people think Sonic The Hedgehog 2 is the best Sonic game. I disagree with those people, I think Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best. I would probably have a higher opinion of Sonic 2 if its special stages weren't so difficult and stressful.

Yeah honestly, my enjoyment of 1, 2, and 3&K is the opposite order that they were released in. It's the only game with Hyper Sonic/Knuckles, and all the levels are great, even the water one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Why is Dilbert dressed as Santa?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So I finally bought Lost World, since it was cheap in the sales. Can someone explain how parkour is meant to work? Because I'm at the end of Silent Forest and still have no idea exactly how it works; I just seem to spend all my time getting stuck in corners because Sonic clamps on to the wall, runs into the ceiling above and stays there for five seconds while he scrabbles for purchase. There's also that one red ring in Silent Forest Zone 3 where you have to wall run and jump to the next wall, except it's too far away and I just plunge into the abyss every time.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 2, 2016

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So I finally bought Lost World, since it was cheap in the sales. Can someone explain how parkour is meant to work? Because I'm at the end of Silent Forest and still have no idea exactly how it works; I just seem to spend all my time getting stuck in corners because Sonic clamps on to the wall, runs into the ceiling above and stays there for five seconds while he scrabbles for purchase. There's also that one red ring in Silent Forest Zone 3 where you have to wall run and jump to the next wall, except it's too far away and I just plunge into the abyss every time.

Parkour is basically use to run on wall to platform faster or get to areas that can't get to normally by jumping. As if its the one I'm thinking of try to jump as high as you can and if you are still short try spindashing on the wall run to get height.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

The main reason Sonic 2 is more popular is mostly due to timing and marketing. It was bundled with the Genesis 2, so there was a greater market penetration. When Sonic 3 came along, you had to buy it by itself, and at the time of its release, it was effectively only half a game. Now imagine yourself in 1994, you or your parents just dropped $50 on a new game, but it only has half as many levels as the old one.

Although you could also make the argument that Sonic 2 is better than Sonic 3K because it does what it does really well, and fine-tunes the formula established by it's predecessor, While 3&K just adds stuff.
Now you might say that Tails is just a useless add-on (he controls exactly like Sonic and can actually hinder you in the special stages) but the real purpose of Tails, from a design standpoint, is to provide an alternate avatar for multiplayer. And speaking of multiplayer, Sonic 2's blows Sonic 3's out of the water. Sonic 2 used the single player stages as the basis for it's multiplayer, while Sonic 3's were just tacked on and had no relation to main game. I mean seriously, why even bother?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Because the Endless Mine music is phenomenal, that's why.

I played a hell of a lot more Sonic 3 & Knuckles than Sonic 2. I can definitely appreciate the both of them. I found Sonic 2 was a roller coaster by reward. If you were able to remember where to jump and the like you were rewarded with flashiness. Sonic 3 seemed to go back a bit to Sonic 1 momentum base. Where you wouldn't really go that fast but that's because you were exploring massive levels full of traps. You could get a pretty good speed but for the most part you're pacing yourself since there were a lot of places that will gently caress you up. This falls more in line with Sonic 1 where it often had a higher and lower path. Higher would be faster, have more rewards - but would be easier to fall down. Where as lower path would be more of a slog, more enemies less rewards.

So the theme of Sonic is light exploration, momentum, and being flashy while enjoying the level scenery.

I don't mind the transitions in Sonic 3 & Knuckles at all since they were still very varied. Sonic always had a level progression anyway,even if it wasn't shown in a cut scene. Sonic 1 had you go from the forest, to a clearing that was destroyed by Robotnik devoid of trees and were ruins of old buildings and such, to a scrapyard, to his sewer system, to the city, then finally to the factory where his home base was. You progressively got closer to society. Sonic 3 didn't do anything special new or different in linking up the levels - it just showed you in a single cut scene which could easily be done in the same manner for Sonic 1.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

The main reason Sonic 2 is more popular is mostly due to timing and marketing. It was bundled with the Genesis 2, so there was a greater market penetration. When Sonic 3 came along, you had to buy it by itself, and at the time of its release, it was effectively only half a game. Now imagine yourself in 1994, you or your parents just dropped $50 on a new game, but it only has half as many levels as the old one.

I think you're underestimating the number of people who only owned S3&K in the form of Sonic & Knuckles Collection, a PC release from 1997.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/hoodtechnology/status/685702172147777536

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So Shadow steals candy from babies, Sonic steals Chili Dogs from fat men and Knuckles steals jewelry from dirt?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Shadow is a loving nerd, and he would try to steal candy from a baby.

E: Tumblr post might be a parody. Most Shadow enthusiasts these days love him because he is ridiculous.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, the Sonic social media manager (aka that dude that runs the awesome sonic twitter) has something going on. Few weeks ago they sent Egoraptor a Big the Cat plushie and the picture had some number

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/685537720303628288

And then they posted a photoshop of the Software Catalog 1991 with an added 7 on a corner
http://sonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/137171163728/when-you-played-sonic-the-hedgehog-for-the-first

And a few minutes ago a comic book cover variant that's & KNUCKLES themed, with the hashtag #12356789023456789016
http://sonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/137312870363/yup-its-real-get-your-sonic-universe-knuckles

So, uh, i guess we can figure out the date for the 25th anniversary game?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sonic 12356789023456789016

Can't wait

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I have no knowledge or experience breaking codes, but here's my two cents:

I think the tag on the third link is the code. The picture with the grumps is the key, and 7 is a "modifier" of sorts. What I mean by that is, say the numbers on the grumps picture correlate to the alphabet, take the letters the numbers represent and move up seven letters. Something else I noticed is that "56789" repeats twice in the hash tag. Also, "0" is present, meaning the alphabet starts with 0 and not 1.

Well, I hope I'm on the right track, anyway.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 15, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think that 7 might just be a page number of the catalogue.

Three of the numbers in that plush picture are bolded: 4, 1 and 16.

12356789023456789016 is all the digits minus 4, all the digits minus 1, and then a 16.

Also in the happy new year tumblr post two weeks ago, one of the hashtags was "#Will Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 finally release on 4/1/16? #Find out next time in the TUMBLR HASHTAGS!"

So what I'm saying is that something's coming out on... oh, April 1st. Is this just a setup to a massive April Fools joke?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

MikeJF posted:

So what I'm saying is that something's coming out on... oh, April 1st. Is this just a setup to a massive April Fools joke?

Man, I hope not. I was really looking forward to Big's Big Fishing Adventure.

Sega has all these characters, the least they could do is break them out in their own games in different genres. I mean, Tails' adventure was fun, right?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I think that 7 might just be a page number of the catalogue.

Three of the numbers in that plush picture are bolded: 4, 1 and 16.

12356789023456789016 is all the digits minus 4, all the digits minus 1, and then a 16.

Also in the happy new year tumblr post two weeks ago, one of the hashtags was "#Will Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 finally release on 4/1/16? #Find out next time in the TUMBLR HASHTAGS!"

Wow, way to overthink that, me

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think you're underestimating the number of people who only owned S3&K in the form of Sonic & Knuckles Collection, a PC release from 1997.

This is the saddest thing, only being able to play S3&K with that MIDI poo poo in place of the original soundtrack.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Hikaki posted:

This is the saddest thing, only being able to play S3&K with that MIDI poo poo in place of the original soundtrack.

Right, but the thing is that if that was your first exposure to S3K, that was just what the music WAS. And then when you discover the non-MIDI version of the songs, you get to be amazed at how much better they are :v:

I'm pretty sure I got all the super emeralds with every character as a kid, listening to that awful CNZ and LBZ music. Though I was probably too young to actually notice/care about how bad the music was.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I tried running my copy of the PC version about 5 years ago. The game launched, but ran at like 300%, so the midis were even worse.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Here's a little reference for all you internet folk out there on social media. The two fonts used are comic sans and papyrus. Only '10s kids will get this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Man, I hope not. I was really looking forward to Big's Big Fishing Adventure.

Sega has all these characters, the least they could do is break them out in their own games in different genres. I mean, Tails' adventure was fun, right?

Give me Sonic Spinball 2 or give me death.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Give me Sonic Spinball 2 or give me death.

Death. Give me mighty and ray's treasure hunting adventur, Rouge's stealth action theft game, Blaze's cooking sim and Silver's tetris clone.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice
Sonic Did Nothing Wrong.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Is this from the same series as the JFK assassination one?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, Fleetway was pretty mental sometimes.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
yeah in the fleetway comics sonic goes homicidally insane when he becomes super sonic so i guess that's the aftermath of that. no idea why he doesn't give a gently caress about the pig though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hog race relations were pretty tense back then

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Sonic is just thinking of all the chilidogs he can make from the dead pig guy.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

yeah in the fleetway comics sonic goes homicidally insane when he becomes super sonic so i guess that's the aftermath of that. no idea why he doesn't give a gently caress about the pig though

From my vague memories of the comic, I think the pig was a robot spy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New Sonic thing. Leave it to the internet to solve most of it in a few minutes.

http://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/697130115751280640

https://twitter.com/quiksotik/status/697135562524733440

• Locked thread