Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

FrickenMoron posted:

is trap disarm bugged for champion dungeons? It shows as 100% but they still fail every time.

%chances for any process in the game scale up to above 200% which is obvious when you check enemy stun/bleed/blight/debuff resists. For example, a trap with 130% accuracy has a 30% chance of harming someone with 100% disarm.

Skeletons are unbleedable because they have 220% bleed resist, so even if you somehow manage to get bleed chance to 200% they are immune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Jesus loving Christ I just had an almost wipe at the hand of spiders. Suddenly critting for 35 damage with blight? why not!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
It's not "suddenly" it's how spiders work. Protip: priority one is to kill or control the green spiders. The bitch-tier orange ones stun and mark; the green ones exploit those marks to ruin your day if you don't kill them turn one.

Once the green ones are dead the two orange spiders pose no threat at all, so it's pretty much playtime for your party to jerk each other off with group heals and sweet mandolin jamz

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

omg

the leper's pet is a gila monster

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

And as we know from the intro, the Caretaker is a very good driver that always reaches his destination safely.

The narrator outright says at the beginning of the game once you reach the Hamlet "Now that the roads are cleared, more heroes can arrive safely.".

Also the Hamlet is not in the middle of the hellish adventure zone. You can see in the intro, it's actually quite a bit farther back. The only things people would have to get past from the Hamlet to civilization is basic bandits.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The new Leper hits so goddamn hard.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

omg

the leper's pet is a gila monster

Why is his pet one of the lizards that can't painlessly slough off parts of its body

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
If you beat a shambler/collector in a dungeon can you run into it again, or is there some sort of flag on a per-mission basis that checks to see if you've encountered one before?

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

Once the green ones are dead the two orange spiders pose no threat at all, so it's pretty much playtime for your party to jerk each other off with group heals and sweet mandolin jamz

How are stall mechanics implemented these days? Does that sort of thing not cause massive party wide stress any more?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I believe you get ~3 turns if you're against a single 'weak' enemy type before the anti-stall stress starts kicking in.

Plenty of time to stress heal/remove debuffs unless you get cocky and then whiff 3 times in a row :v:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You start taking party-wide stress of ~6 a turn. I think the dungeon difficulty matters because I've only ever seen it in Champion level dungeons at about turn 6 against a lonely pigtaur or w/e

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

it also doesnt seem to trigger at all against the fish that can guard

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kly posted:

it also doesnt seem to trigger at all against the fish that can guard

Those fuckers take entirely too long to kill.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
this is true of basically half the enemies at the champion level though, considering like every other fucker has 50% prot

at least when it's just them they can't guard themselves

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Undead Hippo posted:

How are stall mechanics implemented these days? Does that sort of thing not cause massive party wide stress any more?

It only triggers at 1 enemy left, afaik

I don't stall much but I'm pretty sure thats how it works

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I haven't played since pretty early as a beta pre-order-er. Is there a summarized change log of what's happened in the last ~4 months or so?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Night10194 posted:

Those fuckers take entirely too long to kill.

I did a Veteran run of the Cove and the only fight that gave me any real trouble was one fight with two of those fuckers.

It would have ended sooner but one of them got a guard off on the shaman before I could kill it, who then got a heal off on the other weak enemy I decided to focus instead.

No one died but my hellion hit death's door like three times.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
you can stun em to break the guard. I always take multiple sources of juiced up stun into the cove for that exact reason. Once it's down to just them start blighting em every turn and they die fast. :)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Rascyc posted:

The new Leper hits so goddamn hard.
Been thinking about using him more in parties. What would people think of like Leper-#1, Houndmaster-#2, Grave Robber or Occultist-#3, Plague Doctor-#4? You have two frontliners who can self-heal, multiple corpse clearers other than the Leper (allowing him to focus on Chop and Hew), multiple Blight sources with a GR and multiple Bleed sources with HM/PD, a Grave Robber could Shadow Fade if the Leper's moved back or she's moved up front, or the Occultist could Pull things to clear corpses and set up the Leper.

Basic idea would be to stun the back row with the PD and then from there decide how to use your third slotter and Houndmaster. Houndmaster is in #2 and can Blackjack if he needs to, which could stun up to 3 enemies first turn, or he can focus a target anywhere he likes (as could the Occultist/GR). The Leper can then finish off one of the two in the first row or, if he doesn't quite do that, set it up so he can kill at least one with Hew in the next turn (though I have seen some non-crit Hews with the new Leper buffs that flat-out kill). The Leper and HM will take the most hits, but they both have a potent self-heal, and the PD can cure Bleed/Blight; if you bring an Occultist he obviously has his own heal on top of that. And when enemies have high Protection the HM has a debuff and the PD can Blight.

It seems like a pretty decent generalist party. Only issue would be shuffling but you won't get surprised that often with a Houndmaster to scout, and if you roll Grave Robber too then your scouting should be extremely good which means the only real threat are push/pull effects and then only in a few instances (HM doesn't give a poo poo where he's moved to, Leper just needs to stay in the front half).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I just had the kickstarter thank you shield show up in my inventory, but I was not a kickstarter backer. I was, however, in the early access period.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
for some GODDAMN loving REASON my jester started out the dungeon with lunge, slice off, finale, and harvest instead of literally his only two good skills and so he loving wiped out on the first turn because none of my melee dudes could hit the STUPID loving cultist because they didn't have buffed ACC

I have no loving idea why his skills were in the wrong order, i literally never changed them in the longest time

time to train up yet another character to level 6 because for some goddamn reason the skill orders were wrong

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
25 is not nearly enough heroes. :/ How do I mod the game to add more?

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Going on right now is a Dev stream + Q&A: Link

They're running what looks like a new game and half the roster is afflicted

e: and just restarted because their Dismas died

Abundant Atrophy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 4, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I feel kinda bad about killing the madman, basically I'm killing a crazy homeless guy for stressing me out by yelling incomprehensible gibberish at me. That's just how crazy homeless guys do.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

TheChad posted:

25 is not nearly enough heroes. :/ How do I mod the game to add more?
DarkestDungeon\campaign\town\buildings\stage_coach\stage_coach.building.json

You can edit that with a text editor, should be self-explanatory since you can only change number of arrivals, roster size and what the first two classes offered at the start at the game are.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

How Rude posted:

for some GODDAMN loving REASON my jester started out the dungeon with lunge, slice off, finale, and harvest instead of literally his only two good skills and so he loving wiped out on the first turn because none of my melee dudes could hit the STUPID loving cultist because they didn't have buffed ACC

I have no loving idea why his skills were in the wrong order, i literally never changed them in the longest time

time to train up yet another character to level 6 because for some goddamn reason the skill orders were wrong
Retreat next time and fix his skills

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Rascyc posted:

Retreat next time and fix his skills

:downs:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

I feel kinda bad about killing the madman, basically I'm killing a crazy homeless guy for stressing me out by yelling incomprehensible gibberish at me. That's just how crazy homeless guys do.

The cultists and skeletons took him in and you're killing his only friends in the whole world

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I always grant the Madman a merciful swift death. (Because his yelling annoys me.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I always just assume he's shouting THIS GAME IS TOO drat HARD RED HOOK REALLY hosed UP WITH THAT CORPSE THING STUPID RNG BULLSHIT I'M GONNA RESTART.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Welp just lost four level 6's in three runs. All of them failures. One of them was a Darkest Dungeon run. Overconfidence . . .

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Nakar posted:

Been thinking about using him more in parties. What would people think of like Leper-#1, Houndmaster-#2, Grave Robber or Occultist-#3, Plague Doctor-#4? You have two frontliners who can self-heal, multiple corpse clearers other than the Leper (allowing him to focus on Chop and Hew), multiple Blight sources with a GR and multiple Bleed sources with HM/PD, a Grave Robber could Shadow Fade if the Leper's moved back or she's moved up front, or the Occultist could Pull things to clear corpses and set up the Leper.

The Leper is my favorite front line unit.

While I feel that hew offers reduced returns are you progress through the game the class's ability to heal damage, stress and clear corpses while soaking and dealing fantastic damage really makes for a hero that can manage itself while you fight whatever fires need fighting with your back rows. With a focus ring the accuracy issues begin to fall away and the absolute lack of dodge doesn't really matter as much as you might think so long as you're prepared to keep the heal train coming.

One of my favorite generalist setups is a Leper/BH/PD/V. The Leper up front slapchops whatever I move/stun with the support roles.

Being said the Leper does not like moving and it does not work particularly well with other units that want to dance around unless you can ensure it's always in the front two rows.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Wafflecopper posted:

He's a complete rear end in a top hat in NG+ level 5 so I have nothing but contempt for him.

Committing 4 attacks to killing him and watching every single one whiff is infuriating.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Wizard Styles posted:

DarkestDungeon\campaign\town\buildings\stage_coach\stage_coach.building.json

You can edit that with a text editor, should be self-explanatory since you can only change number of arrivals, roster size and what the first two classes offered at the start at the game are.

As of a few patches ago it was causing crashes if you went over 30. No idea if that got fixed.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I've been enjoying this game since I got it for Christmas, but I just started Champion level dungeons and it's completely sapping my will to play. It's not simply that it's more difficult, but that the difficulty is achieved by simply cranking all of the enemy stats up. Stuns and pulls have gone from being useful strategic tools to unreliable gambles that have to both beat the increased enemy dodge chance AND overcome jacked-up resistances. Enemy attacks are critting constantly, which usually take a hero immediately to death's door. Then a healer has to spend a turn saving them, and they spend the rest of the dungeon with penalties to their accuracy and other stats, which further compounds my problems. And I haven't even tried a medium or long dungeon yet.

This is with skills levelled up as much as I can, penultimate level weapons and armor(upgrading every hero to rank 4 weapons would instantly bankrupt me several times over), torch kept fully lit at all times, and trinkets assigned in a way that I hoped would cover my weaknesses. I've been trying to form parties with good synergy and appropriate traits, but none of it seems to matter when your 110 accuracy characters have a 60% chance to hit a female cultist, or a fungal giant can pretty much decide to take a hero down to death's door with a single attack. The game feels more frustrating than fun at this point, I don't know if I'm missing something here.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

How Rude posted:

Cicadalek posted:

...Stuns and pulls have gone from being useful strategic tools to unreliable gambles that have to both beat the increased enemy dodge chance AND overcome jacked-up resistances. Enemy attacks are critting constantly, which usually take a hero immediately to death's door. Then a healer has to spend a turn saving them, and they spend the rest of the dungeon with penalties to their accuracy and other stats, which further compounds my problems. And I haven't even tried a medium or long dungeon yet.

i love this thread

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Soothing Vapors posted:

As of a few patches ago it was causing crashes if you went over 30. No idea if that got fixed.
I have 40+ rostered adventurers and the stage coach is bringing me I think 15 new ones per week. No crashes.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

nice, time to mod it back up then :unsmigghh:

Cicadalek posted:

I've been enjoying this game since I got it for Christmas, but I just started Champion level dungeons and it's completely sapping my will to play. It's not simply that it's more difficult, but that the difficulty is achieved by simply cranking all of the enemy stats up. Stuns and pulls have gone from being useful strategic tools to unreliable gambles that have to both beat the increased enemy dodge chance AND overcome jacked-up resistances. Enemy attacks are critting constantly, which usually take a hero immediately to death's door. Then a healer has to spend a turn saving them, and they spend the rest of the dungeon with penalties to their accuracy and other stats, which further compounds my problems. And I haven't even tried a medium or long dungeon yet.

This is with skills levelled up as much as I can, penultimate level weapons and armor(upgrading every hero to rank 4 weapons would instantly bankrupt me several times over), torch kept fully lit at all times, and trinkets assigned in a way that I hoped would cover my weaknesses. I've been trying to form parties with good synergy and appropriate traits, but none of it seems to matter when your 110 accuracy characters have a 60% chance to hit a female cultist, or a fungal giant can pretty much decide to take a hero down to death's door with a single attack. The game feels more frustrating than fun at this point, I don't know if I'm missing something here.

:henget:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cicadalek posted:

You're missing the final weapon and armour upgrades. Those are big improvements that make champion dungeons go from "insanely hard" too "mostly hard". Also yes, resistances are now high enough that if you want to reliably stun stuff you need to equip the proper trinkets for most characters. Some of high enough bases (houndsmaster's blackjack) that they always work, but most others do not. So if they are essential to your success, equip the proper trinkets for them to work.

You're probably saying "well upgrading to level 5 gear is expensive as gently caress!". Yeah it is, so your gonna have to budget carefully. Outfit one squad to take on level 5s primarily and upgrade more troops as you need to swap them in. If a run goes smoothly, you can send the same squad back in to get more loot. Also consider running mediums over shorts just so you have a campfire for buffs and stress healing. Bring along one of the heroes with an ambush negating skill so you don't get murdered by the ghoul sitting in a corner waiting to jump you.

Unlike a lot of strategy games, the difficulty curve of DD is actually set up so that the end of the game is the hardest part. You have to pull out your best heroes and tactics to get over the initial equipment barrier.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Kly posted:

i love this thread

at this point it feels like a honeypot for bad players to reveal themselves