Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Krinkle posted:

Do builds at smurfy's not get flagged if a patch makes them impossible to build now? I am trying to outfit a king crab and it says I can't have endo steel, because I'm broke, but also because I don't have free slots, and I don't know what this means, and I already took everything out that wasn't in the final build i.e. missiles. I haven't even put extra ammo in the legs like it says to so that should be free slots right there. I got the crab with the least missile hardpoints, the 000, and this is the only one without a build in the OP so I feel cool that I spent all my pity cadet money on the wrong crab.

You're missing the obligatory ton of MG ammo you put in the head slot. (All cool people do this, fyi.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

2.5sec cycle time vs 4.00 sec cycle time.

If you have the tonnage/crits for 2 UAC/10s but not 2 UAC/20s, always go with 2 UAC/10s.

Another important aspect is that you get more damage per ton of ammo for AC/10s than 20s. PGI please.

Ahhh. And upon second checking, the Spirit Bear has 1 ballistic slot in the torso, and that's it's MASC slot too, so I suppose stick with the uac10

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
poo poo, never mind, yeah, there's only room for a UAC/10 there if you take MASC.

wait, is MASC locked to that torso? How does it work on IS mechs?

edit: So I checked, and the Wolverine 7D can mount MASC in either torso. You can fit that in the SRM6 torso and still fit an Ultra AC/20 in the Spirit Bear.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 4, 2016

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

A.o.D. posted:

poo poo, never mind, yeah, there's only room for a UAC/10 there if you take MASC.

wait, is MASC locked to that torso? How does it work on IS mechs?

edit: So I checked, and the Wolverine 7D can mount MASC in either torso. You can fit that in the SRM6 torso and still fit an Ultra AC/20 in the Spirit Bear.

Pretty sure MASC can go anywhere. It's just that everything with MASC but the Wolverine 7D is an omnimech so the MASC is locked in place.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zebulon posted:

Pretty sure MASC can go anywhere. It's just that everything with MASC but the Wolverine 7D is an omnimech so the MASC is locked in place.

The wolverine ain't no omnimech. But MASC has to be mounted in a torso.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Kilo147 posted:

So, I was playing around with a trial Thunderbolt, and apparently I loving love LPLs.
3 of my 4 Marauders are running the same 4 LPL Standard 300 engine builds and I love them the most of all my robot children.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

LPLs are god's gift to mechkind. The BJ-3 with triple LPLs is probably the best tonnage-power ratio in the game.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Herb Dington posted:

I've been searching and can't find anything on this, anywhere.

Anecdotal evidence says it happens pretty much always vs. certain groups. What's the deal?

How would you find it? It's only when facing comp teams when solo dropping and I don't think hardly anyone here does that. That's why it's never been addressed by the devs either.

Talmonis posted:

I don't see a problem with Clan having superior range. Just so long as there is enough cover on the map that a smarter IS player can use to close in.

Literally all the clam wars maps have colossal long fire ranges, frequently you will begin to engage at 1500+ and find cover and snipe as you advance. Be kind of stupid to give one side an advantage it can carry into every game, no?

What especially does not get addressed either is the huge range advantage is an exponential curve. At 1000 or so clan ERLL are still doing a bit more than half damage, while the falloff from the IS ERLL makes them do much less at that range. Along with that the clan ERML still does significat damage out to 600-700 and any random clan mech can easily stuff 4 or more on. While on the IS side being able to shoot out to 600 takes 21 tons for 3 LPL or 20 tons for 4 large lasers.

In the past before quirks were added clan mechs were just completely destroying IS in every way so they did address the imbalance. but even after quirks the only mechs that could ever be said to perform like a clan mech does is the blackjack or thunderbolt. But now since they are nerfing quirks so hard it's just going to make clans glaringly better again instead of the close contest that it was having with a select few IS mechs.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 4, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Thronde posted:

Yeah, I don't really see the arms being used for much more than shields. Especially on the Papa Bear (I like that name), since 4x SRM6 and 2xUAC10 is all you really need. Unless it can jam an AC20 or UAC20 in. I'll probably run small lasers in all the arms anyway just for whatever.

A.o.D. posted:

If you can fit 2x UAC/10, you can absolutely roll with a UAC/20. It's less crits and tonnage.

It's also less dps and range.

It's also not possible because Hero Abusive Dad only has 1 Ballistic Hardpoint.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Washout posted:

Literally all the clam wars maps have colossal long fire ranges, frequently you will begin to engage at 2000+ and find cover and snipe as you advance. Be kind of stupid to give one side an advantage it can carry into every game, no?

Yeah man all those clan ERLL, you know the really good ones that burn for 1.5 seconds and suck complete loving rear end

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Bolow posted:

Yeah man all those clan ERLL, you know the really good ones that burn for 1.5 seconds and suck complete loving rear end
Have you played much organized CW from the clan side? Have you faced a team with nothing but 12 2xERLL timberwolves/stormcrows/hellbringers?

When I played clan CW a lot my deck was a timber and SC with 2xerll and 4xERML, and then the others would be a streak boat and a laservomit tb, the units orders were usually to bring 2 long range and 2 short.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 4, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bolow posted:

:wtc:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

armchairyoda posted:

This is true. The Warham looks like poo poo in-game compared to the concept art.

And what will it be next Kilo? You don't have to try so hard. Pykkuu has only needed "I don't have a mic." for 3 years.

I'd rather have a properly working headset, be able to talk without stopping and hitting Y, and have moret han one mech, which is currently a Crab with lasers. I'm not trying hard, I'm just trying to be useful instead of a hindrance.

ZombyDog posted:

3 of my 4 Marauders are running the same 4 LPL Standard 300 engine builds and I love them the most of all my robot children.

Ooh, and Marauders are sexy as hell, and I could join up in the CW poo poo you guys do

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Clan ER Larges are generally p. bad in public queue but in CW the burn duration isn't quite as big of a deal and a lot of maps play to their strengths

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Lol... "Useful goon"... In this game?!?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Clan ER Larges are generally p. bad in public queue but in CW the burn duration isn't quite as big of a deal and a lot of maps play to their strengths

Like seriously ffs people. Yeah they are not optimal outside of CW but in CW its brutal to have 16+ er LL beaming down in a line from across the map into a very narrow chokepoint against slow and fat mechs. It doesnt matter about the burn time if your target has to walk in a straight line in a predictable pattern.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Bought the shadowcat to do stupid Erppc gimmick poo poo with my buddy, and I absolutely love this mech's mobility. Even with terrible erppcs the thing is just so much fun to run and jump around in.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Here's some useful information that could probably go in the OP. I haven't seen a ten-man in the wild to add the data in, and thanks to apostate for the 12 man numbers. If someone could fill in the 10's, I'd appreciate it.

Weights
Quickplay Drop Weights
pre:
Goons	Max	Min	Each	Add

1	100	20	100	
2	200	40	100	+100
3	270	80	90	+70
4	340	120	85	+70
5	350	180	70	+10
6	405	240	67.5	+55
7	455	320	65	+50
8	500	400	62.5	+45
9	520	420	57.7`	+20
10	???	???	???	???
11	CANT	DROP	:PGI:	
12	600	500	50 	+??
Anway, hope that's helpful. If you want to run assaults, 4 players/3 assaults/1 light is where its at.
gently caress 5, go with 7 or better.

Hope this helps with ideal mech-groupings.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Washout posted:

Have you played much organized CW from the clan side? Have you faced a team with nothing but 12 2xERLL timberwolves/stormcrows/hellbringers?

Yes and yes. They're easy as piss to counter.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

kingcom posted:

Like seriously ffs people. Yeah they are not optimal outside of CW but in CW its brutal to have 16+ er LL beaming down in a line from across the map into a very narrow chokepoint against slow and fat mechs. It doesnt matter about the burn time if your target has to walk in a straight line in a predictable pattern.

4 ERLL on a Timber Wolf or Hellbringer in CW results in an awful lot of 2500-damage games where you don't lose a 'mech

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Bait and Swatch posted:

Bought the shadowcat to do stupid Erppc gimmick poo poo with my buddy, and I absolutely love this mech's mobility. Even with terrible erppcs the thing is just so much fun to run and jump around in.

:chord: butterfly in the sky

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Our oldbird [LHON] unit you guys sometimes see rolled 7 men deep with 4 Illya Muromets rocking 3xUAC5 each. Tonight was crazy.

The rest of the comp was me in a hellbringer giving ECM to the dakka bros, a BJ1X, and some other filler dakka mech. We couldn't be stopped. Just rolled team after team.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

4 ERLL on a Timber Wolf or Hellbringer in CW results in an awful lot of 2500-damage games where you don't lose a 'mech

Yeah exactly, the 4 ER LL hellbringer is perfect for this and running with 3-4 of them all set up is a murderball on most CW maps.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

TheParadigm posted:

Here's some useful information that could probably go in the OP. I haven't seen a ten-man in the wild to add the data in, and thanks to apostate for the 12 man numbers. If someone could fill in the 10's, I'd appreciate it.

Weights
Quickplay Drop Weights
pre:
Goons	Max	Min	Each	Add

1	100	20	100	
2	200	40	100	+100
3	270	80	90	+70
4	340	120	85	+70
5	350	180	70	+10
6	405	240	67.5	+55
7	455	320	65	+50
8	500	400	62.5	+45
9	520	420	57.7`	+20
10	???	???	???	???
11	CANT	DROP	:PGI:	
12	600	500	50 	+??
Anway, hope that's helpful. If you want to run assaults, 4 players/3 assaults/1 light is where its at.
gently caress 5, go with 7 or better.

Hope this helps with ideal mech-groupings.

Wtf, these numbers don't make any sense at all. I'm sure they're accurate but :pgi:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

kingcom posted:

Yeah exactly, the 4 ER LL hellbringer is perfect for this and running with 3-4 of them all set up is a murderball on most CW maps.

You kind of need everyone on the same page though. I think that's why folks are sleeping on it in CW, because I don't think we've ever had that level of coordination

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

starkebn posted:

Wtf, these numbers don't make any sense at all. I'm sure they're accurate but :pgi:

Eh, they make enough since that I can reasonably predict that 10 is likely going to be 550 max, 450 min.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Love Stole the Day posted:

:chord: butterfly in the sky

i can go twice as high :baby:

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

Do builds at smurfy's not get flagged if a patch makes them impossible to build now? I am trying to outfit a king crab and it says I can't have endo steel, because I'm broke, but also because I don't have free slots, and I don't know what this means, and I already took everything out that wasn't in the final build i.e. missiles. I haven't even put extra ammo in the legs like it says to so that should be free slots right there. I got the crab with the least missile hardpoints, the 000, and this is the only one without a build in the OP so I feel cool that I spent all my pity cadet money on the wrong crab.

Kcg-000 comes with ferro-fibrous by default which takes up slots, same as endo, so having both will cramp your build. While ferro does make armour lighter ( and not much else, not stronger or smaller) Endo is always a better enhancement, so you'll have to pay to remove ferro at some point to free up the slots you need for endo.

A lot of kcg builds work on multiple chassis. The 000 is the highest rated kcg on metamechs and wields 4uac like a boss, so don't sweat the buyer's remorse.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Bait and Swatch posted:

Everything you do with ERPPCS is literally better with LPLs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

armchairyoda posted:

This is true. The Warham looks like poo poo in-game compared to the concept art.

And what will it be next Kilo? You don't have to try so hard. Pykkuu has only needed "I don't have a mic." for 3 years.

I like the warhammer mech in game? :shrug:

Though the awesome marauder was definitely a hard act to follow, that's for sure.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
my opinion about the cLPL vs cERPPC thing:

the only reason to pick cERPPC over cLPL is the same as with the gauss rifle: to increase your stealthiness. you're trading the 6 damage and taking on the extra heat burden in exchange for not telegraphing to the other team where you are. it's the same advantage as with the gauss rifle, except instead of dealing with the extra heat, you're dealing with the limited ammo.

so if you are bad at playing the hiding game with cLPLs, it's cool to go cERPPCs so that you're less likely to get spotted... but you'll be dealing less dmg per volley and you'll be spending more time waiting to cool off between volleys. plus cERPPCs are really satisfying to hit with (just like with gauss rifle shots).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
ERPPC's are pretty easy to track though, since they're slower than the gauss rifle and are a giant obvious plasma ball.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Can I get an invite to GIRL? Game name is Slobbergoat, getting tired of pubradish matches where my teammates all immediately commit suicide and I manage to get highest team damage because I connected a single SLAS shot.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Groups of 11 don't work because solo players can't drop in the group queue

There was a suggestion from the player base to allow players to opt into the group queue as a solo player but I never saw what came of the idea. I think it would have required you to be Tier 3 or better or something.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Fumblemouse posted:

Kcg-000 comes with ferro-fibrous by default which takes up slots, same as endo, so having both will cramp your build. While ferro does make armour lighter ( and not much else, not stronger or smaller) Endo is always a better enhancement, so you'll have to pay to remove ferro at some point to free up the slots you need for endo.

A lot of kcg builds work on multiple chassis. The 000 is the highest rated kcg on metamechs and wields 4uac like a boss, so don't sweat the buyer's remorse.

Thank you but what is UAC? Every discussion of builds or playstyle is byzantine as heck with all these acronyms.
I did this because I thought gauss was lightning bolts. Someone on some forum said they liked it and I said "ok". Everyone else on every other forum said crabs are bad but I didn't listen.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Unhappy Meal posted:

Eh, they make enough since that I can reasonably predict that 10 is likely going to be 550 max, 450 min.

i admit to looking at the table on my phone and missing the tonnage per mech column, but the sharp change between the 4 and 5 drops is punishing

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Is this completely worthless? It's the best approximation of my old Battletech loadout, I'd buy a single Cauldy just to do this.

Starlancer

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Number19 posted:

Groups of 11 don't work because solo players can't drop in the group queue

There was a suggestion from the player base to allow players to opt into the group queue as a solo player but I never saw what came of the idea. I think it would have required you to be Tier 3 or better or something.

19, now you've basically got the mechlab fixed has there ever been thought given to shlupping some little lore/history snippets into a box for each mech? You could just c/p a couple hundred words from sarna.net or something, low effort/high reward as far as immersion goes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Thank you but what is UAC?

Ultra Autocannons, which are autocannons that can fire a second time after the initial shot at the risk of randomly jamming.

In this case, it's four UAC/5s, the only ultras that the Inner Sphere has access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I wish this was viable.
I know theres a Kingcrab with that loadout, but i just love Jagers.

• Locked thread