Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Joementum posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/03/politics/mitt-romney-new-hampshire-republican/index.html

Huh. A party consensus candidate solidifying support once the voting starts. This is an unexpected turn in the campaign.

We all knew this was coming. The question is whether Trump has broken enough conditioning with 8 months of megaphone to halt the inevitable. I think we'll get a good sense of that on Tuesday, and if Trump doesn't blow 'em out he's very unlikely to hold up for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Fun fact: the Roman Empire lasted until 1923

i feel like ataturk was a pretty deserving augustus even if he might've set that whole konstantiniyye thing aside so its hard to say erdogan isnt our current imperator tbh

does putin ever try to claim that mantle? i know there's some iconography of him out there

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

https://twitter.com/MicahTNDC/status/695062585708777473
Salmon is huge for Rubio, considering the HFC's only Senate ally has been Cruz.
That's actually really huge, isn't it?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Theodosius was the last real Roman emperor and all you Arcadius lovers can suck it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JosefStalinator posted:

Joe you deserve to :smug:ly post every single day about this.

Hey now, we've got until after New Hampshire to keep giving him poo poo. :mmmhmm:

After that, though, yeah. I'll fess up. :)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Okay, so let's get right down to it: what are Rubio's chances against Hillary?

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

One important unknown quantity about Rubio - we don't know how he'll do under the spotlight. The bump-coverage-mockery-decline cycle has wiped out plenty of candidates. Rubio already comes across as soft-spoken and hesitant, and intense media scrutiny could throw him off his game. Alternately, he could be damaged by increased focus on his sketchy finances and his many rumored scandals (whether or not there's any truth to them). I don't think he's a lock yet, until we've seen him survive the spotlight for two or three weeks.

Also - didn't see this posted. Carson is now communicating entirely in Zen koans:

talking points memo posted:

It was after these statements and other ramblings, about why Carson doesn't want to be considered a politician and how important American values are, that a reporter in the crowd asked: "Just to be clear, we're here because of what happened with the Cruz campaign?"

"I suspect that's why you're here," Carson responded.

"You're the one who called the press conference," the reporter said.

"That's why I'm here," Carson said with a laugh. "I don't know why you're here."

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That's actually really huge, isn't it?

Yes, very. Trump's best shot is to hammer the Gang of 8 thing and ask why Tea Partiers would support open borders, corrupted by Goldman Sachs (great jew dogwhistle) etc

The debate Saturday will break records even though it's on a Saturday imo. The crescendo is here. It's basically Trump's last stand and if he doesn't DECISIVELY win (in viewers minds, not in online Pol-rigging) he's in trouble regardless of the NH result.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you think a man as backwards and retarded as marco rubio can beat the clinton

most normal people dont give a gently caress about abortion or gay marriage and he can yell as loud as he wants to about that but thats just going to make them lose

every candidate except chris christie and gilmore has had their time as the Anti-Trump, we have to see if Mario can actually hold up against him

and even if he doesnt, Trump WILL lose to hilary

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Friend Ben posted:

we're here because of what happened with the Cruz campaign?"

"I suspect that's why you're here," Carson responded.

"You're the one who called the press conference," the reporter said.

"That's why I'm here," Carson said with a laugh. "I don't know why you're here."

Ben Carson is the man that is some top level clowning.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Everyone will be gunning for Rubio hard on Saturday, the saving grace for him is that none of them are particularly astute while attacking.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rubio has a really strange billionaire sugar-daddy to thank for his political career at the Florida statehouse. I wouldn't be shocked to see some skeletons found there.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
This is it.

This is the moment I have been waiting for.

The calm of the storm has passed, the silence has been broken, the bunker is now shaking from the impact of the first bombs dropping.

The establishment war machine is making its move. They're deploying Marco Rubio.

True Patriots mus stand resolute. We cannot lose again. For ONCE, just this ONE time, we have to fight and we have to win. We must withstand the onslaught.

We are running out of time to Make America Great Again.

Trump and Cruz have to bury the hatchet. Don't they see what is happening? gently caress, I SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT COMING.

I got rope-a-doped. I laughed at JEB! I gleefully danced on the GOP's grave.

It was a loving trap. They've been lying in wait all this time. These goddamn mother fuckers are going to try and ratfuck us AGAIN.

NOT THIS TIME. NOT ON MY WATCH. WE WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Jeb I think it's time to begin detaching the kitchen sink if you're gonna use it.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Firebert posted:

Everyone will be gunning for Rubio hard on Saturday, the saving grace for him is that none of them are particularly astute while attacking.

Trump should open with "Rubio is being pushed by the media and the establishment very hard, and it's so obvious. If he asks me a question, I'll anawer it, but otherwise, I'll be focusing my attacks on the choices of the people and not choices of the dishonest press."

Literally everyone would be off their game.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Remember when Rubio nailed a kid in the face with a football last summer

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Firebert posted:

This should favor those who don't participate in the debate. #Gilmentum

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Oiled and Ready posted:

Trump should open with "Rubio is being pushed by the media and the establishment very hard, and it's so obvious. If he asks me a question, I'll anawer it, but otherwise, I'll be focusing my attacks on the choices of the people and not choices of the dishonest press."

Literally everyone would be off their game.

this is exceptionally bland and forgettable by the standards of the primary so far

Trump should enter with something like "Rubio's just a boy, he doesn't know anything. the establishment loves him! now, let me tell you about Ted Cruz and the Iowa caucus..."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

This should favor those who don't participate in the debate. #Gilmentum

#StillStanding

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Yea I'm sure enough impotent keyboard mashing will bring Trump back from the dead, forums poster Boosted_C5. Keep it up!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they'll come for rubio, and in return he'll unleash his Mystical Poland Springs Style: 108 Gallons on them

MarcoRubio
Feb 3, 2016

Are you ready for a New American Century?

oddium posted:

they'll come for rubio, and in return he'll unleash his Mystical Poland Springs Style: 108 Gallons on them

goddamn...I am thirsty

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
I'm hoping someone succeeds in knocking him out of his campaign speech answers so we can see whether Rubio can really handle the general.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Slate Action posted:

Okay, so let's get right down to it: what are Rubio's chances against Hillary?
Short answer: Don't worry about it probably.
Long answer: The electoral map gives Hillary an edge but with Rubio guaranteed to take Florida and Hillary not having Campaign Obama's charisma or incumbency, it's gonna be closer than any of Obama's victories by far.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fuschia tude posted:

Fun fact: the Roman Empire lasted until 1923

Everyone knows Trenton, NJ is 6th Rome and the rightful seat of the current Roman Empire

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

MarcoRubio posted:

goddamn...I am thirsty

To be like the real Rubio you need to post twice a week.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

drat boostedc5 double-tapping his enter key like cliven bundy followers double-tap police

Coatlicue posted:

I'm hoping someone succeeds in knocking him out of his campaign speech answers so we can see whether Rubio can really handle the general.

i'm hoping they don't

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ it's happening all over again.

These diabolical mother fuckers are going to grind us into dust.

They loving played dead and tricked us. Then BAM they all jumped up and made their move today and the coalescing was complete just like that.

NOT AGAIN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOT AGAIN.

If Donald Trump can't somehow end the Cruz feud quickly and destroy Rubio, we're hosed. If Trump can't save us from the establishment, no one can and no one ever will.

God help us.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Remember when Rubio nailed a kid in the face with a football last summer

Still makes me smile. Maybe im a bad person.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Everyone knows Trenton, NJ is 6th Rome and the rightful seat of the current Roman Empire

there's so much wrong with this

just so much

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Boosted_C5 posted:

Jesus Christ it's happening all over again.

These diabolical mother fuckers are going to grind us into dust.

They loving played dead and tricked us. Then BAM they all jumped up and made their move today and the coalescing was complete just like that.

NOT AGAIN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOT AGAIN.

If Donald Trump can't somehow end the Cruz feud quickly and destroy Rubio, we're hosed. If Trump can't save us from the establishment, no one can and no one ever will.

God help us.

If you're a real human being and these are your actual thoughts then you're sad and your wife is definitely cheating on you

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xenophon posted:

there's so much wrong with this

just so much

How soon people forget Smoothrich

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Trump and Cruz have to bury the hatchet.

I don't think that's gonna happen, man.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

How soon people forget Smoothrich

Was he from Trenton? Just down the road...smh

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Short answer: Don't worry about it probably.
Long answer: The electoral map gives Hillary an edge but with Rubio guaranteed to take Florida and Hillary not having Campaign Obama's charisma or incumbency, it's gonna be closer than any of Obama's victories by far.

Obama BARELY won Ohio with 50.1% of the vote and Virginia with 50.8%. Hillary is a vastly inferior candidate, while Rubio vastly superior to Romney.

Kiss OH and VA goodbye along with FL.

Guess what? Now little Markie Rubio only needs to pick off one more swing state and it's LIGHTS-OUT.

Not that it loving matters between Rubio and Clinton, either way, the establishment wins.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in this very real life that's happening now, jeb bush gave marco rubio a katana imbued with the chi of a powerful warrior and now bush is flailing and rubio is about to be the republican candidate for president. also rubio is thirsty all the time, probably as payment for so much unbound chakra

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Louisgod posted:

your wife is definitely cheating on you

C

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zore posted:

He's no abortion even in cases of rape/incest or life of the mother.

Super anti-gay.

Hates immigrants since his big immigration bill failed.

Uh... I guess he hasn't explicitly insulted entire ethnic groups?

ok. yeah gently caress him then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
who is the most liberal republican running right now

• Locked thread