Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Jace, The Brain Buster 1UB

+1: Target Player puts the top 2 cards into the graveyard. Draw a card.
- 3: Put a 2/4 Illusion with Flying and "When this creature is targetted by an instant or sorcery spell, sacrifice it." on the battlefield.
- 7: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, each opponent puts the top 10 cards from their library into the graveyard."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sigma-X posted:

I totally agree and was hoping they'd do that with this set that was coming back to Eldrazi, because ROE was the best loving limited format and was fun as hell with lots of cool cards but they hosed that up and they realized it at some point during development so they hedged their bets with Expeditions. They totally suckered me too because I bought a box on the hedge that maybe this will actually be a fun set and if not maybe I'll open an expedition and it turns out I did neither!

I'm all for cheaper magic as a concept but that's not an argument that gets a publicly traded company to stop printing money and start printing a smaller batch of money using the same money printing press that used to print a lot of it, but that's the only loving argument that people make in this thread about it.

e: FoW would be awesome in standard but would just make modern into lovely legacy and if we wanted to play lovely legacy Tiny Leaders would be popular still

FoW would be broken as poo poo in standard, you are literally insane and the second half of this post makes no sense

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I am for printing FoW in Standard just so people know what it's like, just fyi.

also it enables processors.

No.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Jace, The Brain Buster 1UB

+1: Target Player puts the top 2 cards into the graveyard. Draw a card.
- 3: Put a 2/4 Illusion with Flying and "When this creature is targetted by an instant or sorcery spell, sacrifice it." on the battlefield.
- 7: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, each opponent puts the top 10 cards from their library into the graveyard."

Yeah sure they're going to print Phyrexian Arena with upside in 2016.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I am for printing FoW in Standard just so people know what it's like, just fyi.

also it enables processors.

Imagine force of will with good art.

I-m-a-g-i-n-e

Literally The Worst posted:

FoW would be broken as poo poo in standard, you are literally insane and the second half of this post makes no sense

Don't say dumb things like this.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yeah sure they're going to print Phyrexian Arena with upside in 2016.

I did that with Thought Scour in mind. I now realize it's Blue Phyrexian Arena :doh:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I too would like to see FoW be an auto four of for eighteen months

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

monored burn won't run it. They'll try it but they'll switch away from it after a few months

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

2 for 1ing yourself in standard has limited use. Not saying it couldn't be a good card in a certain meta with combo or something, but standard as it is wouldn't be an auto 4 of if played at all mainboard.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 4, 2016

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sickening posted:

Imagine force of will with good art.

of all the bad posts itt this one is the worst

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:agreed: I have 12 of them and only need one playset for legacy so I'd like to be able to use them elsewhere.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: I have 12 of them and only need one playset for legacy so I'd like to be able to use them elsewhere.

You could sell the other 8 and buy a standard deck or half a modern deck. Think of the value you're just wasting

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

2 for 1ing yourself in standard has limited use. Not saying it couldn't be a good card in a certain meta with combo or something, but standard as it is wouldn't be an auto 4 of if played at all mainboard.

It has much more limited use when you aren't protecting something that will automatically win you the game or defending against something that will auto lose you the game.

Imagine Force versus Modern Affinity to get an idea of why it's not an auto 4 of for every deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

rabidsquid posted:

It used the old 2HG rules where you take turns sequentially.

How did deck building work? Did you just not share pools?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

From earlier, the issue with Flanking as I've heard it isn't to do with horses. It's that it has a weird extra clause (flankers blocking flankers) that rarely comes up but which is likely to blow you out when it does. If it comes back it will probably be in a reworked form.

e: I think Force would be good even in fair matchups in standard just because people do cast expensive cards. Going down a card may be worth it if it nets you a 4-5 mana tempo swing

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 4, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

From earlier, the issue with Flanking as I've heard it isn't to do with horses. It's that it has a weird extra clause (flankers blocking flankers) that rarely comes up but which is likely to blow you out when it does. If it comes back it will probably be in a reworked form.

e: I think Force would be good even in fair matchups in standard just because people do cast expensive cards. Going down a card may be worth it if it nets you a 4-5 mana tempo swing

What extra clause is that?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You don't get the flanking bonus if the blocker is also a flanker. I don't think that makes much sense from an intuitive perspective and since flanking cards will be relatively rare it will be easy to forget.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

You don't get the flanking bonus if the blocker is also a flanker. I don't think that makes much sense from an intuitive perspective and since flanking cards will be relatively rare it will be easy to forget.

How is that an 'extra clause', that's the whole point of the ability? When your flanker gets blocked, you look to see if the blocker also has flanking, and if it doesn't it gets -1/-1. That's all flanking does.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's also better if the ability makes my guy cooler so my guy is cooler.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropic posted:

How is that an 'extra clause', that's the whole point of the ability? When your flanker gets blocked, you look to see if the blocker also has flanking, and if it doesn't it gets -1/-1. That's all flanking does.

The simplified version would be "Whenever a creature blocks this creature, the blocking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn." The extra clause is "without flanking".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think we're much more likely to see a renamed Bushido than a returned or fixed Flanking. Bring on the Chub Toads.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Sigma-X posted:

e:^^ no I'm not, I'm saying they're not going to flatten the loving price of modern overnight like everyone wants, they're instead going to do these individual reprints occassionally because it turns out putting fetches in khans made it sell better than any other set in history, just like the RTR shocklands did, and it'll happen again when they do ZenFetches. They're not going to print "modern: the set" and flatten that value in a year, or if they do, it's because they're looking to squeeze all the money out of the game before it dies quickly.

Their solution to sell more packs was to put premium copies of Tarn into one pack out of every 4300 or so to prop up a boring as gently caress set that wouldn't sell otherwise and they did gangbusters with it, so I'd say it's loving huge?

Scalding Tarn is about eighteen times rarer than a MM2 Tarmogoyf was. I would not be surprised if, when all is said and done, BFZ was opened that much more often, thanks to both the length of the format and the ill-advised enforced scarcity of MM2.

Niton fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 4, 2016

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

It also lets you tap out for your own big threats fearlessly. It wouldn't be a format linchpin in Standard the way it is in eternal formats but it'd absolutely be very strong.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

The intersection of a player base boom and the relatively recent creation of a new format in modern is the root cause of all of these price spikes. You can give Wizards the benefit of the doubt that they wouldn't know how much of an issue it would become and they can't react instantly to reprint demands due to the length of time required to design a set. However, the more sets that are released that do not address this at all, the worse the issue gets and the more annoyed players get.
When the solution is simply reprint at rare in each set a number of staple cards which is greater than 0 (1-3 is enough) and instead they release limited print run products and make hyper double secret expedition rares it's not surprising or unreasonable people start getting restless.

Saying "I don't play standard I already have all the cards I need dilligaf!?!?" is just useless nerd dick swinging. This whole issue can and will become a detriment to the game in that it will eventually drive players away which is obviously bad for the company and is in turn bad for all the smart anti-noob carded-elite as well, assuming they ever want to see new cards made.

just rust fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 4, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Also you're arguing what happened with Thoughtsieze and the allied fetchlands should not happen again even though the only downside to that was

Taking over their respective Standards?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What if the expeditions are the only printing WotC planned for zen fetches :tinfoil:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

Wasn't that more of Thoughtseize being Black, which also happened to be The Best Deck In Standard at the time?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

GoutPatrol posted:

Don't reprint fetches and typed duals in the same standard and neither of them are particularly amazing.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 4, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Voyager I posted:

Don't reprint fetches and typed duals in the same standard and neither of them are particularly amazing.

Thoughtseize was in the best deck (Mono black, Abzan) for 2 years. Fetches (4-10) have been in the best decks for 2 years.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Basic Forest is taking over standard!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Voyager I posted:

There wasn't even any particular reason for the BFZ duals to be typed. Without it, they'd have been just another variant in the dual land parade, probably worse than the M1x buddylands but better than duals that always ETB tapped, etc. There was literally no real purpose for doing it except to deliberately combine with the KTK duals in order to take a gigantic technicolor poo poo on a Standard season. Which, I mean, one Standard season isn't the end of the world but it still seems dumb in retrospect.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just think they didn't quite grasp how unrelentingly good Siege Rhino decks would turn out to be and how tired everyone would be of them.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Wizards should print as many boxes of Modern legal sets as game store owners want, and sell them at regular price. That would help solve Modern supply issues, and it shouldn't be that hard to do. Besides, that would mean we could easily draft ROE or INN again.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

JerryLee posted:

There was literally no real purpose for doing it except to deliberately combine with the KTK duals in order to take a gigantic technicolor poo poo on a Standard season.

This is such a wonderful summation for the last four months of Standard.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Wasn't that more of Thoughtseize being Black, which also happened to be The Best Deck In Standard at the time?

Thoughtseize was a large part of the reason Mono-Black was the best deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

instantrunoffvote posted:

Thoughtseize was a large part of the reason Mono-Black was the best deck.

If that was the case, it would've still been a contender after RTR rotated.

Most of it was riding off the back of Desecration Demon and Pack Rats, getting value out of Underworld Connections followed by Gary You For 8.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

If that was the case, it would've still been a contender after RTR rotated.

Most of it was riding off the back of Desecration Demon and Pack Rats, getting value out of Underworld Connections followed by Gary You For 8.
Thoughtseize, and black in general, saw a ton of play post RTR. It's just that the incentives to play mono-black no longer existed.
Thoughtseize was still a key player in mono-black's success, especially in a world of sphinx's rev/supreme verdict control decks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Devotion was a way bigger reason for mono black than Thoughtseize was.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GoutPatrol posted:

Thoughtseize was in the best deck (Mono black, Abzan) for 2 years. Fetches (4-10) have been in the best decks for 2 years.

Good cards get played, hold the loving phone!

And since Abzan is still a major contender even after Thoughtseize rotated out I don't think it's what made it such a big deal.

And good lands power good decks? You could've said the same thing about the shocks in RTR. Hollowed Fountain was in WU control for two years! Holy poo poo is this real am I a ghost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

GoutPatrol posted:

Fetches that literally just pick one of two basics are useful fixing that always enters untapped, but there are serious limitations to what they can do compared to a true dual land. They saw consistent play in small quantities but did not come anywhere close to defining the format. It wasn't until BFZ printed fetchable duals that let you go full modern that we saw standard explode into $300 rainbow mana bases.

Similarly, a typed dual that you can't fetch for is basically just another dual land whose playability in standard will be judged primarily by how hard it is to make it come into play untapped (though I suppose you might have to be careful with the wording of your other land fetch effects). You could reprint the whole series of Shocklands in SOI and standard probably wouldn't even be particularly different for it.

• Locked thread