Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Lexicon posted:

By jobby-job I simply mean a salaried position at a local office in the local market rather than doing remote consulting or something disconnected from the city's labour market.

Oh! well, in that case yes! I definitely do that.

Gaming is still a huge chunk of the local market, and that sector suffers from the same issues as Vancouver did (overworked and underpaid).
There's a few larger companies with local teams in the city: Microsoft, Ericsson, Google, Shopify. These are mostly really solid gigs.
The local larger companies like CAE or CGI have a bit of a mixed reputation, but I only have second-hand knowledge for entry positions there.
I am not very well versed in the local startup scene, but I know getting venture capital has been a struggle, so it's kinda meh.
Lots of government work, but french becomes a much more important requirement.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

etalian posted:

Let's go with my original solution, swap the physical locations of Vancouver and Montreal.

Montreal is also a much more attractive city IMO due to old world charm in the more historic areas, while Vancouver feels like a hideous glass wall paradise built for new money shitheads similar to Dubai.

an extra hundred years or so of development and history prior to the introduction of modern technology will do that I guess

I feel like a lot of west-coast cities get the same short shrift on 'not enough culture' or what-not.

Well, yeah, most haven't been around for as long as other western culture urban centers

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As many will recall, I'm not a huge fan of Quebec or Montreal, but I'd much rather move back to Montreal and learn to speak Duck-French instead of going to Vancouver.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Aramis posted:

Oh! well, in that case yes! I definitely do that.

Gaming is still a huge chunk of the local market, and that sector suffers from the same issues as Vancouver did (overworked and underpaid).
There's a few larger companies with local teams in the city: Microsoft, Ericsson, Google, Shopify. These are mostly really solid gigs.
The local larger companies like CAE or CGI have a bit of a mixed reputation, but I only have second-hand knowledge for entry positions there.
I am not very well versed in the local startup scene, but I know getting venture capital has been a struggle, so it's kinda meh.
Lots of government work, but french becomes a much more important requirement.

Good friend of mine had an entry level engineering position at CAE out of undergrad.

It is not a great place to work apparently. Sub-inflation raises are the norm :saddowns:

There are some good jobs in Montreal. My old roommate ended up at Expedia there. Enjoys his work and it pays pretty good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

It's not the Montreal winters that terrify me, it's the summers. That's actually my weather issue for most of the rest of Canada, too drat hot.

Kidnapped by Mosquitos: A Montreal Memoir

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

It's not the Montreal winters that terrify me, it's the summers. That's actually my weather issue for most of the rest of Canada, too drat hot.

Its always amusing when relatives come up to visit from the USA and they bring jackets and long sleeve shirts and boots. In July. When the temp can regularly hit 30+ (and then humidity). They were also in total amazement that we had running water for some reason.

But Im not allowed to make fun of them anymore because we have somehow managed to out-bubble their bubble and then doubled down on the "But this time its different".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, but May and June? Festival season? Santropol sandwiches on Mont Royal while the hippies drum and play hacky-sack? That's some good poo poo.

Tech VC scene in Montreal isn't terrible, at least as of a year ago. For a while it was more vibrant than Toronto's, but I think that's not the case any more. Probably harder to get funding for non-consumer stuff, though, because the return cycle is longer and there isn't a *ton* of money around to fill those funds.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol santropol sandwiches get the gently caress out of here

literally the worst thing about montreal

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

is that also basically just "glasses land" underneath?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What's so weird about that? That's what it's called.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The only thing wrong with that map is some idiot pasted some french guy's name on dorchester blvd.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Worst part about Montreal is by far the commuting. Local politics is second, weather is maybe third.

Cultural Imperial posted:

The only thing wrong with that map is some idiot pasted some french guy's name on dorchester blvd.

lol

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Meat Recital posted:

Worst part about Montreal is by far the commuting.

West-islander spotted. (or Lavalois I guess)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not even close to the worst thing (taxis), but also they're right at MR. You could truck stuff from Atwater or Jeanne-Mance, but that's what peasants do.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vancouver a refuge for rich people who would probably get executed in their own home countries for theft and corruption.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

etalian posted:

Vancouver a refuge for rich people who would probably get executed in their own home countries for theft and corruption.

Including Canadians.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

It's really funny seeing tourists getting excited about seeing "the world's largest underground city" and then realizing it's just a lovely elongated basement mall

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Still pretty loving exciting when it's -40C and the drivers are Mario Karting their way through half-plowed streets.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

JawKnee posted:

I feel like a lot of west-coast cities get the same short shrift on 'not enough culture' or what-not.

Well, yeah, most haven't been around for as long as other western culture urban centers

Give Vancouver a thousand years and it won't make one bit of difference to the city's 'culture'

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Give Vancouver a thousand years and it won't make one bit of difference to the city's 'culture'

It still owns how it got nuked in BSG

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Lexicon posted:

it will have been levelled by 'the big one' by then, which is definitely an improvement

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Still pretty loving exciting when it's -40C and the drivers are Mario Karting their way through half-plowed streets.

I used to think that was exclusively a Barrie thing what with so many people moving up here from Toronto and actually experiencing life in the snow belt. Then I visited my friend in Vancouver and people ping-ponging across the roads in an inch of snow made me realize its really just the norm everywhere.

etalian posted:

It still owns how it got nuked in BSG

Also in Mass Effect, Vancouver-Seattle is where the Reapers hit first. :black101:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lexicon posted:

Vancouverites can't conceptualize this, but it's so true. Superior on every dimension except perhaps natural beauty, but who GAF about that anyway after a while.

Why do you think I post photos so much? It's all we have. :(

Furnaceface posted:

Also in Mass Effect, Vancouver-Seattle is where the Reapers hit first. :black101:

Vancouver is like world HQ in Mass Effect, like San Francisco is for Star Trek. It would be our first major corporate headquarters!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lexicon posted:

uh huh

Furnaceface posted:

It's major bullshit that the only recognizable thing in that intro is loving Canada Place

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Vancouver gets nuked at the start of battlestar galactica as well.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Spectacle is also an English word.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

That has to be the most esoteric thing you hate.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

No, it's "Spectacles Quarter" as in cool things that happen spectacles, not a word for glasses from the 1800s spectacles.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

With regards to social chat, I am starting to see more people having socials for weddings that never seem to materialize.

I know at least 2 couples who had socials years ago but have still yet to get married.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Fried Watermelon posted:

With regards to social chat, I am starting to see more people having socials for weddings that never seem to materialize.

I know at least 2 couples who had socials years ago but have still yet to get married.

They probably invested in some property and are just building equity so they can put they wedding on a HELOC.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

They probably invested in some property and are just building equity so they can put they wedding on a HELOC.

Yes but how is their truck equity?

House across the street from my parents went up for sale for 300k today. That is actually much more sane than the last 4 houses on their street (359k, 348k, 355k, 396k) and I hope this is the start of the return to much more affordable prices for this area. Rent is still way too high though what with everyone gouging foreign college students.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Furnaceface posted:

House across the street from my parents went up for sale for 300k today.

Wow, what, in Canada somewhere? Is this priced in USD or EUR or something? Or is it a shed?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lexicon posted:

Wow, what, in Canada somewhere? Is this priced in USD or EUR or something? Or is it a shed?

Barrie, priced in Canadian, large lot (50x130) bungalow.

Sure 2 people died in it in the last 10 years but that wouldnt affect the price. Right? :v:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Nine of Eight posted:

It's really funny seeing tourists getting excited about seeing "the world's largest underground city" and then realizing it's just a lovely elongated basement mall

That stupid loving mall saved my rear end one weekend I was in Montreal, never had to go outside which was great as it was -40.

Montreal has a weird tech sector just like it has a weird textile sector, you can't really understand it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Barrie, priced in Canadian, large lot (50x130) bungalow.

Sure 2 people died in it in the last 10 years but that wouldnt affect the price. Right? :v:

I'd say buy it but last I heard despite go train service running between the cities Barrie is about to hit critical mass where most people can no longer commute from there to Toronto because the length of the 400 is being surrounded by lovely suburbs at such a high rate that the commute time has doubled.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The GO rail lines are woefully under developed for the projected growth in the surrounding communities. In communities with limited transit options to the stations, people drive. The station parking lots themselves fill up at or before 7AM, which is before 80% of the trains have yet to depart.

Commuting from Barrie doesn't sound like you'd save any money unless you value your time at zero.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

I'd say buy it but last I heard despite go train service running between the cities Barrie is about to hit critical mass where most people can no longer commute from there to Toronto because the length of the 400 is being surrounded by lovely suburbs at such a high rate that the commute time has doubled.

Barrie, Newmarket and Bradford are all growing way faster than the GO system can handle. When I was doing the Barrie->Union commute the 5:30am train was full by the time we hit King CIty. The 400/401 are in for even more fun as they scramble to try and expand their capacity to meet the increasing demand for routes from north of the GTA into the city center. And yeah, you dont save any money living here anymore if you have to make that trek.

Really, smart people would be looking at ways to increase the number of jobs locally that could support living there but that is too much forethought and effort for the typical city council member. Better to just build more suburbs and pray. :downs:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I pay $700 a month to transit in to my job in Toronto from Hamilton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

Really, smart people would be looking at ways to increase the number of jobs locally that could support living there but that is too much forethought and effort for the typical city council member. Better to just build more suburbs and pray. :downs:

More ice shack businesses are the key I think.