Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Metadiscussion has come back again.

Just post about Star Wars you fuckin goofballs.

What single-biome planets have we not seen in the live-action saga yet? I'd like to see a full on rainforest or jungle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Yaws posted:

You got your wish. He's been probated for a month. We now go back to endless laudatory posts about the Prequels. Things have been made right again. Continue with your safe-space.

In case this isn't clear through my moderation, I'd like to make it so:

No one has been, nor will they be, banned/probated in this thread for having a differing opinion of Star Wars than others. Tezzor was banned from this thread because between his posts in which he actually attempted to make points (for the most part), he filled it with white noise garbage posts that contributed nothing to the thread. After being probated for that and told to quit it, he continued to do so (again, between "effort" posts in which he stated his opinion about the movies). That is why he is banned from this thread and will continue to be so, not because he doesn't like the prequels.

If I wanted to ban/probate people for dissenting opinions, I would have probated most of the prequel defenders in here because I don't like them. But because of the posts in this thread, I have a much greater appreciation for them and have mellowed out my dislike for them. Those interactions are what I want in this thread, and being an overhostile shitlord about it is unacceptable.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Vintersorg posted:

There is nothing left to say about those movies aside from the circular jerking off about how good the prequels actually are. Despite Tezzor being really abrasive - there was points inside. But instead people are like, "hah gently caress you" "funny boy" "lol you dont get to like or not like something" "lol" "actually * 199999 words"

In all honesty, Star Wars discussion is too volatile. The thread should be closed just like the giant Man of Steel wars that used to happen.

I dont want the thread to be closed because I presumably would like to discuss news of the new movies in this thread at some point. Plus sometimes we can all laugh at things like anakin not flinching whatsoever via the magic of animated gif.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Metadiscussion has come back again.

Just post about Star Wars you fuckin goofballs.

Also this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

What single-biome planets have we not seen in the live-action saga yet? I'd like to see a full on rainforest or jungle.

Dagobah.

They haven't done a suburb planet yet.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

jivjov posted:

There's a sorta mushroom rainforsest where Aayla Secura is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64SsixN-vSY

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

edit: nm

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Serf posted:

If you think Tezzor had good points, why not bring some of them up instead of... whatever this post is?

His best point is that the bad guys are all dracula monsters with werewolf eyes

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Dagobah.

Dagobah is swamp/marsh, not quite what I had in mind.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

euphronius posted:

Dagobah.

Jakku, but all the houses are AT-AT model homes

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

Tundra, maybe? Hoth was more arctic, I'd like a more lively cold-weather planet, kinda like what we got with Starkiller Base.

Is the single-biome planets thing a running joke in Star Wars now?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

euphronius posted:

Sounds like an awful place

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tezzor posted:

Nope. Watch it again. The Separatists are building a massive army in violation of a treaty with the explicit intention to attack. They are trying to publicly execute two Jedi and a sitting Senator without a trial by feeding them to monsters. When the Jedi arrive to stop them the Separatists fire first and try to kill all of them. If Yoda does not Send In The Clones about 100 Jedi die right there. The war still happens, the army still exists under Palpatine's command. Everything else bad still happens including Palpatine becoming Emperor but now Anakin and Padme are dead so Luke and Leia are never born and Palpatine is never defeated and the Death Star rolls around blowing everything up.

It was a preemptive strike. You can't deny that it was a preemptive strike. It doesn't matter if the Separatists violated a treaty or were planning a future attack. It was still, by definition, a preemptive strike, which is a morally dodgy concept even by real world standards. A preemptive strike is an attack, justified or not. To argue otherwise is to engage in the kind of linguistic sophistry favored by proponents of the Bush Doctrine.

Obi-Wan was a literal spy who invaded the Geonosians' sovereign territory. The Separatists captured Obi-Wan and sentenced him to death for his crime. Then Anakin and Padme, against all orders and against all good sense, also invaded the Geonosians' sovereign territory, killing dozens of Geonosian soldiers. They too were sentenced to death according to the sovereign laws of Geonosis. Then an army of 200 Jedi invaded the Geonosians' sovereign territory in an attempt to rescue three illegal invaders who never should have come to Geonosis in the first place.

The small army of Jedi is (predictably) defeated, and Dooku attempts to take the survivors as hostages--you know, as anyone in his political position would generally do in this situation. Mace refuses to let Dooku take them alive, simply because he doesn't want the Separatists to have them as bargaining chips. This is insane. Dooku, in the name of the Separatists, is showing the Loyalists mercy, and Mace is spitting in his face because he's more afraid of the consequences of negotiation than he is of the consequences of war. Then Yoda brings an entire freaking army of clones to rescue this entire sorry band of trigger-happy Loyalists, at which point instead of just leaving in peace they immediately launch a full-scale assault on the Separatists' holdings and bomb them into oblivion.

Do you not see how this is the very definition of out-of-control military escalation? Yeah, it sucked that Obi-Wan got captured while in the line of duty, and his death sentence was certainly an injustice. But it still probably wasn't the best idea to provoke a galactic war over it. Maybe the Republic could have tried negotiating with the Geonosians first? Like, just tried? At any point? But they clearly didn't try. Padme says as much herself in Episode III. "This war represents a failure to listen." It's a failure on both sides. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. If neither side is willing to let anything go, than all you get is a runaway escalation scenario.

The Jedi hosed up, massively. It was an attack. An attack of the clones. Caused by greed and stupidity on both sides.

edit: Direct engagement with Tezzor removed because I guess he flamed out again or something.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 4, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

It's been the "running joke" since Empire. Maybe Jedi.

Phantom Menace even had a line calling it out. "The entire planet is one big city!"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

El Burbo posted:

Sounds like an awful place

Jedis have to infiltrate a local rotary club to track down a lead on a volunteer who is embezzling funds from the local hospital. Meanwhile a bounty hunter shops for a house for him and his clone children. People are upset about taxes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jerkface posted:

His best point is that the bad guys are all dracula monsters with werewolf eyes

I was actually talking about this with a friend a few weeks ago. We were discussing the Star Wars video games in the vein of Knights of the Old Republic where you can choose between light side and dark. Dark side always seems to give you some visual cue, like sunken eyes or black marks on your face and we couldn't figure out why. We chalked it up to "videogames" for a while, but then I remembered in RotS when Anakin gets his yellow eyes after the Jedi Temple massacre. So the games weren't just pulling things out of their rear end, it did happen in the movies. I don't really count Palpatine's eyes for this, since in the OT it wasn't clear if he was a human or some kinda alien.

Actually I've never been able to decide if he looks all hosed up because the lightning scarred him or if he was just dropping his disguise finally.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Serf posted:

Actually I've never been able to decide if he looks all hosed up because the lightning scarred him or if he was just dropping his disguise finally.

Its actually his force cloud ability going away, revealing his true form. This is canon.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

euphronius posted:

Jedis have to infiltrate a local rotary club to track down a lead on a volunteer who is embezzling funds from the local hospital. Meanwhile a bounty hunter shops for a house for him and his clone children. People are upset about taxes.

you joke but I think a "suburb" planet could be cool as hell

like, gently caress living on coruscant, so imagine the rich people or people who can't afford the highest high-rises but are above living in the poo poo sections with no sun (the middle class, if you will) basically creating a "commuter planet"

so many parts of me wish george was involved in the sequels so we could see some more cultural/political critique--i'd be interested to see his take on the suburbs and/or gentrification

imagine a gentrifying hoth or yavin 4 or something now 30 years after the civil war and they've become historic sites

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serf posted:

I think its intentional that its not clear if that's how he always looked or if Mace truly messed him up something good. Either way, he has a messed up face to show the voters of the republic to get Order 66 initiated with massive public approval.

Waffles Inc. posted:

imagine a gentrifying hoth or yavin 4 or something now 30 years after the civil war and they've become historic sites

No no, worry about the ones on Tattooine when Mos Eisley becomes basically Mecca in Star Wars.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 4, 2016

Beeez
May 28, 2012
What's interesting, too, is that Dooku never gets Sith Eyes. Maybe Jedi indoctrination worked on him after all.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Growing up I thought he was an ancient man prolonged by the Force - like Bilbo. But he's just a normal human who apparently died when he was 86. And perhaps the Dark Side just eats you up --- doesnt explain Dooku tho who was 90 when he died.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Beeez posted:

What's interesting, too, is that Dooku never gets Sith Eyes. Maybe Jedi indoctrination worked on him after all.

well aside from shooting lightning, dooku never really does anything super sith-y does he? he's trying to undermine and overthrow sheev the entire time

it's what makes anakin murdering him so tragic is that the whole time he thought he was playing a long con but WHOOPS he was being played the whole time

Barudak posted:

I think its intentional that its not clear if that's how he always looked or if Mace truly messed him up something good. Either way, he has a messed up face to show the voters of the republic to get Order 66 initiated with massive public approval.

No no, worry about the ones on Tattooine when Mos Eisley becomes basically Mecca in Star Wars.

i wonder if we'll learn any more about Lor San Tekka and his Church of the Force. I almost wonder if it was started as some sort of Anakin's Lightsaber or Luke Skywalker hero-worship/cargo cult or like something from that Brendan Fraser movie 'Blast From The Past' where christopher walken emerges from the bomb shelter like 30 years later and these druggies think he's satan and they start worshipping him

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 4, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yeah, like I said, if I saw the before and after on Palpatine and you told me the Jedi were responsible I would be 100% onboard with Order 66.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dooku really wasn't a Sith Lord. He was trying to take out Sidious and left the Jedi because they suck. Remember Dooku was trying to destroy the Sith the whole time.

Of course the Jedi were so dumb. The dark side clouded their vision.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's so sinister in the Clone Wars and easily handles everything thrown at him. Even when he gets blinded, he fights off Asaaj and her 2 sister assassins with ease. Its crazy to see him get owned so easily by Anakin but the movie called for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq80K_yfTcU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

i wonder if we'll learn any more about Lor San Tekka and his Church of the Force. I almost wonder if it was started as some sort of Anakin's Lightsaber or Luke Skywalker hero-worship/cargo cult or like something from that Brendan Fraser movie 'Blast From The Past' where christopher walken emerges from the bomb shelter like 30 years later and these druggies think he's satan and they start worshipping him

Given that the film cut the whole Church of the Force from being explicitly stated, I'm not confident it'll end up in subsequent ones. I think its a rather neat idea though; a movement to make the Force accessible to all after it had been studiously guarded by an order of privileged monastic warriors.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

A droid and a gungan couple move in at the end of the block. Can they resist the Homeowner Federation Representative's attempts to get "their kind" evicted?

Yes, an X-wing fires a proton torpedo down the garbage disposal, destroying his house and saving the day.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

A droid and a gungan couple move in at the end of the block. Can they resist the Homeowner Federation Representative's attempts to get "their kind" evicted?

Yes, an X-wing fires a proton torpedo down the garbage disposal, destroying his house and saving the day.

That's a good summary of the Phantom Menace.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
tbh I still thought Dooku and Grievous were chumps in Clone Wars but I liked that episode where Dooku, Anakin, and Obi-Wan were locked in a pirate's basement.
They should have had that spider general as the main villain at least he was intelligent and turned into a cool cyborg. Also he was a giant talking spider and no one seemed to think this was odd.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They're teachin' Sith in my schools? Not nohow! I thought this was the New Republic not some Trade Federation bullshit communism land. By the Force there is only the Jedi way and I won't be havin some Plasteel-Tower egghead with one of them fancy Core-World degrees messin with my youngling's head in the classroom.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Barudak posted:

Given that the film cut the whole Church of the Force from being explicitly stated, I'm not confident it'll end up in subsequent ones. I think its a rather neat idea though; a movement to make the Force accessible to all after it had been studiously guarded by an order of privileged monastic warriors.

It's not that it was studiously guarded. Maybe Jedi training was studiously guarded. But Jedi training isn't the be-all end-all of the Force. TCW shows that there are various Force traditions in the galaxy that have nothing to do with the Jedi Order. And then there are guys like Jar Jar who believe in their own gods and think the Force is a bunch of bullshit.

And it doesn't seem like any of it's all that studiously guarded in the first place. Anakin isn't all that suspicious of the fact that Palpatine happens to know an old Sith legend. All that stuff's probably out there, for people who are interested. The thing is, most people don't even care. Just like most people don't even care enough to read the Bible, even if they're nominally Christians.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 4, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

It's not that it was studiously guarded. Maybe Jedi training was studiously guarded. But Jedi training isn't the be-all end-all of the Force. TCW shows that there are various Force traditions in the galaxy that have nothing to do with the Jedi Order.

And then there are guys like Jar Jar who believe in their own gods and think the Force is a bunch of bullshit.

They weren't be all end all, of course, but in 1-3 they are definitively the Orthodox form of Force belief without shown competitors, and in 4-6 there are no established doctrines in opposition to them that lay people would be familiar with rather than the whole-sale rejection of the Jedi. There really isn't anyone else in the films who represents a different organized tradition towards the Force which is more what I was driving at. It seems like, sure you could read things if you were interested, and seemingly connected, but the only teachers of the belief are the Jedi themselves and there's no one in opposition to them.

Also; having thought about it and seeing ways that the Sith/Luke in 1-6 can represent the Reformation/Counter-Reformation movements, lets just all agree that as far as the films are concerned one major doctrinal dispute between the Jedi and Sith is whether or not Child-Padawanism is correct, with the Sith believing in Anapadawanism.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Barudak posted:

It seems like a natural progression of the setting just going by the movies too when in Episode IV Han doesn't even think the force exists. After the actions of Vader and Luke in the OT word would get around pretty fast that the force is a thing again so you'd start to see these different spiritual groups or whatever spring up. I think only the Tales of the Jedi comics (these were the Old Republic comics Dark Horse did in the early 90s ish) really dealt with that in a cool way. In the EU novels it was always just "well on my planet we call that ____ so it lets us do ______ video game ability."

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
I'm not sure about Vader having an effect; two decades of him Sithing around the galaxy don't seem to made much of an impact on Force awareness at large - example Motti. As for Luke, have we been told how much the general population knows about his Forcing? He doesn't really do anything in public until the Jabba fight, and the few witnesses left are not exactly about to go on Space Larry King. The duel atop DS2 did not leave much to tell SpaceNN either.

Basically, what are those rumors and legends Rey mentions and where could they originate? Problem is we don't know how mediatised the Jedi Academy was this time around.

That said, I don't disagree that the emergence of Forcephile groups would be a nice feature, not that the magocratic Empire is gone.

(Actually, I mean bring back the Aing-Tii monks.)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

What's more interesting is the variety of settings within the single biome - which is something that is very much missing in TFA.

I already went over Tatooine's sandy plains, the rocky valleys, and cities and how each serves a different story function. But when you reach Naboo, you have a similar variety of locations - the city, the swampy areas, and the infamously smooth, grassy plains.

What people miss is that these grassy hills are designed to evoke the sand dunes of Tatooine, in order to visually link the Trade Federation's droid vehicles to Jabba's ships and the Jawa sandcrawlers. It's just switching beige with green:

The point here is that, despite what everyone thinks, Naboo and Tatooine are not that different. They have the same sort of conflicts going on. So if Tatooine had Republic support, you can safely assume the Jedi would go in to unite the human population with the sandpeople, to drive out the alien criminals and gangsters.

And, ultimately, they wouldn't do anything about the droids being shipped around in those huge, brown trucks.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 4, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Serf posted:

Planets are equivalent to places in a normal fantasy world, and the Galaxy is the equivalent of the kingdom/world/etc that the fantasy takes place in.

In Fullmetal Alchemist (trigger: anime) you see the same sort of differentiation. The heroes go from a pastoral environment to a giant city to a desert to an arctic wasteland, etc etc. The scale is just bigger here.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Oh, no argument - but that kind of paints Windu into a corner. What was he supposed to do with Palpatine, then?

He arrests him, if the jedi way is to arrest the sith then they must logically have a way to do it. if mace is killed by sheeve's underhandedness then would anikin have fallen? i say no because i'm an optimist. mace being a jedi should be okay with this as he should not be attached to his life.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Who cares about our world.

We don't have magic wizards enforcing their law upon people. It's your fault you can't separate the two.

In the world of Star Wars the Sith must be put down. This is an accepted fact.

in the wold of star wars killing a sith is a good way to become a sith.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Jakku has rocky mesas, quicksand valleys, salt flats, and of course the artificial mountains of crashed capital ships.

Starkiller base has the snowy fields, sparse forests, and the artificial aspects of the base itself.

These are the main 2 locations we spend the most time in and they have as much variation as Tatooine. D'Qar/Takadonna are as varied as other minor stops in star wars movies, like Dagobah & Yavin.

I mean really c'mon now with this poo poo.

Edit: The latest episode of Rebels features a totally :krad: sequence with this :krad: music everyone should give a listen to its great http://www.starwars.com/audio/star-wars-rebels-journey-into-the-star-cluster-audio-cue

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Tezzor...

gently caress. You loving fascists.

• Locked thread