Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Uh oh, not government interference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Germstore posted:

goatfather still claiming he isn't a 'bitcoiner'?

i have no stake in bitcoins

i own no bitcoins

i have never invested in bitcoins

i do not operate a bitcoin exchange

the only place i have ever posted about bitcoins is gbs threads

imo having up to date facts about bitcoins does not make me a bitcoiner

e: i do kind of wish I'd mined some bitcoins back when it was worth doing on a gpu though. could have paid for a lot of drugs

Quote-Unquote posted:

Uh oh, not government interference!

we're talking about moving money out of argentina, where the government has limits on how much money you can move out of the country at a time. it's all on the last page of the thread that you didn't read

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 4, 2016

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

The Goatfather posted:

bitcoin is literally the only thing we've discussed that could move all of his money abroad in a few hours without government interference

True, but I'm not actually a drug dealer or anything like that, all the money is legit I just gotta move it.
And the operation he described, of buying bonds and moving it through an international broker, is called "contado con liqui" and is a routine operation and the preferred way for big players to move money overseas. Problem is I'm not a big player and I don't currently have a banking account in the UK, but once I do, I should be able to do that and the fee is low.
In any case, an accountant will help me find a probably convoluted but legal and low-fee way of actually doing this. Like the Uruguayan poster mentioned, it'll probably involve doing stuff in Uruguay and moving the money in a roundabout way. Still, it will be 100% legal and cheaper than bitcoin and of course much safer.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Goatfather posted:

I'm not saying it's a good idea man just that it would make at least as much sense than the hilarious scheme he outlined and cost him less

also once he's got bitcoins he can immediately send them abroad and cash them out, whereas with your plan he's still stuck with gold bullion in argentina. idiot

bitcoin is literally the only thing we've discussed that could move all of his money abroad in a few hours without government interference

jre posted:

Who is he supposed to buy the bitcoins off of in Argentina ?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm not the one in argentina :iiam:

If you can buy them it's perfectly plausible, just like it's perfectly plausible that you can buy bitcoins in argentina

e: vvvv lol read the thread idiot

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
uh what the gently caress are you people smoking

traveler's checks? cashier's checks?

in what world is Bitcoin a reasonable way to move a large amount of money, even if you are concerned about evading taxes?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Just weave the bills into your coat lining duhh

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

The Goatfather posted:

If you can buy them it's perfectly plausible, just like it's perfectly plausible that you can buy bitcoins in argentina

e: vvvv lol read the thread idiot

I went back a few pages to the relevant bit where you said 'Bitcoin is the only way to move a large amount of money in a few hours without government interference' which is just the stupidest thing I've seen all day long.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

I went back a few pages to the relevant bit where you said 'Bitcoin is the only way to move a large amount of money in a few hours without government interference' which is just the stupidest thing I've seen all day long.

that's not actually what I said

context is everything for this reading thing

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
okay to be fair "out of the things we discussed" which appears to be 'buy gold bullion or other valuables' which I will grant you is equally retarded

But to be fair to me I said 'goons are stupid' not specifically 'the goatfather' is stupid.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

FishionMailed posted:

uh what the gently caress are you people smoking

traveler's checks? cashier's checks?

Nope. Argentina's tax agency considers those the same as cash, so they fall within the 10k USD egress limit.

quote:

in what world is Bitcoin a reasonable way to move a large amount of money, even if you are concerned about evading taxes?

Nowhere, only one guy is saying it is. And it's not concern about taxes, it's legal restrictions on moving money.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Pochoclo posted:

Nope. Argentina's tax agency considers those the same as cash, so they fall within the 10k USD egress limit.

Nowhere, only one guy is saying it is. And it's not concern about taxes, it's legal restrictions on moving money.

Open a PO box in the country you're moving to (or whatever the equivalent is), mail the cheques to it, collect them and cash them when you arrive.

Done and done.

You don't even really need a PO box as you're the only one that would be able to cash the things anyway so really all you need is a mailbox that you have access to.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Goatfather posted:

Why is it plausible that anyone in Argentina would bother with autism kroners ? Never mind having $20,000 worth they would sell?

For someone who totally isn't a bitcoin shill you are awfully good at regurgitating their poo poo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

jre posted:

Why is it plausible that anyone in Argentina would bother with autism kroners ? Never mind having $20,000 worth they would sell?

For someone who totally isn't a bitcoin shill you are awfully good at regurgitating their poo poo.

regurgitation is all that normally goes on in these threads

me, I'm educating

also, crime is the reason anyone has $20k worth of bitcoins. they might want to turn some of that into, i dunno, their local currency, so they can spend it

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 4, 2016

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

"I'm not saying bitcoin is a good idea man, just that it's totally a good idea though" :downs:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Goatfather posted:

regurgitation is all that goes on in these threads

me, I'm educating

Right so educate us: Who should he buy $20,000 of bitcoins off of in Argentina ?

It's almost like pounds spergling are actually loving useless at getting round currency controls

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Goatfather posted:

you probably should actually use bitcoin instead of this hilarious retarded scheme you've got going on. it's not the hilarious wild west libertarian wasteland it used to be now that the justice department has been cracking down on shady bitcoin operations for a few years

If you pay attention, then bitcoin is still a hilarious wild west libertarian wasteland but with a few institutions that have managed to stick around, and several of them are likely to exit scam eventually. An enormous exchange literally closed their doors last month with the typical "hackers took everything" post that accompanies the end of every bitcoin business

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

FishionMailed posted:

Open a PO box in the country you're moving to (or whatever the equivalent is), mail the cheques to it, collect them and cash them when you arrive.

Done and done.

You don't even really need a PO box as you're the only one that would be able to cash the things anyway so really all you need is a mailbox that you have access to.

That is illegal. The national mail authority does not allow you to send money without a "content insurance" and that's their way of enforcing the limits (they won't let you mail much).

Like I said, the only ways are convoluted and involve an accountant. Still thousands of times better than bitcoin.

Also, contado con liqui is better than your option because it doesn't involve mailing anything. I just need a bank account in London really, after that it's smooth sailing. I just need to survive on 10k USD enough to sign up for one and have enough left to come back here.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 4, 2016

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Pochoclo posted:

That is illegal. The national mail authority does not allow you to send money without a "content insurance" and that's their way of enforcing the limits (they won't let you mail much).

Like I said, the only ways are convoluted and involve an accountant. Still thousands of times better than bitcoin.

Also, contado con liqui is better than your option because it doesn't involve mailing anything. I just need a bank account in London really, after that it's smooth sailing. I just need to survive on 10k USD enough to sign up for one and have enough left to come back here.

yeah but lol if you think it doesn't happen. how would they even know? Just tell them you're sending postcards to family. Mail that poo poo FedEx or DHL. At absolute worst the UK bank won't be able to cash more than $10k at a time but so what? Cash one check a month until you're cashed out.

Why can't you just wire the money from your Arg account once you have a UK account open? I might not be reading this correctly (or it might just be a quick and dirty for tourists) but:

quote:

Local currency (Argentine Peso-ARS) and foreign currencies: prohibited unless exportation is made through authorized financial and foreign exchange entities, for amounts above:
-USD 10,000.- (or equivalent) for travelers aged over 21 or independent minors; or
-USD 2,000.- (or equivalent) for travelers aged between 16 and 21 years; or
-USD 1,000.- (or equivalent) for travelers aged under 16 years.

Surely a wire transfer is an authorized financial exchange entity? Maybe not though. idk at some point it becomes unreasonable to try and follow the law - I'd totally just mail the checks to myself.

Open a Paypal account, deposit the cash, withdraw it as needed in the UK. They'll give you a card and everything.

FishionMailed fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 4, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Couldnt you buy like a bunch of oil barrels, they wont stop you from taking $10k of oil barrels with you on your vaction.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

FishionMailed posted:

Why can't you just wire the money from your Arg account once you have a UK account open?

It sounds like there's a $10USD limit on what he can transfer out of the country at a time, so once he's got a UK account he can transfer the funds out 10k at a time, once every so often, without any legal trickery, or pay an accountant to get round it and do it all in one go.

However, this means he can't use bitpay to get stuff on amazon in the meantime

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

several of them are likely to exit scam eventually

this isn't really even a problem unless you're sitting on a big bitcoin investment (lol) and you keep it in a wallet the exchange controls for some reason

Renfield posted:

It sounds like there's a $10USD limit on what he can transfer out of the country at a time, so once he's got a UK account he can transfer the funds out 10k at a time, once every so often, without any legal trickery, or pay an accountant to get round it and do it all in one go.

However, this means he can't use bitpay to get stuff on amazon in the meantime

actually he was talking about flying $10k at a time himself at a 20% airline markup

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 4, 2016

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

The Goatfather posted:

I'm not a bitcoiner or anything

The Goatfather posted:

you probably should actually use bitcoin

:raise:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hey Goatfather, I'd like to be educated on this too:

jre posted:

Who should he buy $20,000 of bitcoins off of in Argentina ?

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Azathoth posted:

Hey Goatfather, I'd like to be educated on this too:

criminals, apparently

that'll go well

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

FishionMailed posted:

criminals, apparently

that'll go well

we're all criminals for plotting to smuggle $20k out of argentina illegally

bitcoin is a crime backed currency this shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

The Goatfather posted:

I'm not a bitcoiner or anything I'm just sayin

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

The Goatfather posted:

What's actually funny is that bitcoin right now is being propped out by chinese criminals trying to smuggle money out of China, which has even worse legal restrictions.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Goatfather posted:

this isn't really even a problem unless you're sitting on a big bitcoin investment (lol) and you keep it in a wallet the exchange controls for some reason

That's how an exchange works. If your bitcoins are on an exchange then they're not in a wallet that you control.

And yeah it's not a problem so long as you're not trying to extract anything from an exchange that is in the process of shutting down. Sometimes a collapsing exchange just makes a post on reddit about how they're closing, so hopefully you're active in the community

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Purchasing all the bitcoins that would encompass his life savings, then cashing those bitcoins into British pounds once he moved is money laundering and, if he is caught doing so (more than likely during tax season), the penalties, possible jail time, and forced repatriation to Argentina will be a fun end to his trip and give him great stories to tell his grandchildren when they come to visit him in prison.

Turning fiat into bitcoin into different fiat does not change international monetary laws.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So just out of curiosity, how would regulations stop him from, say, transferring it all to paypal as the intermediary?

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Drunk Nerds posted:

So just out of curiosity, how would regulations stop him from, say, transferring it all to paypal as the intermediary?
Well, looking through the user agreement for Argentinia https://www.paypal.com/ar/webapps/mpp/ua/legalhub-full?locale.x=en_US which, luckily is English as well as Argentinaspeak, you get to section 10 under the User Agreement.

I think these would end up being used against him:
b. Violate any law, statute, ordinance, or regulation
g. Engage in potentially fraudulent or suspicious activity and/or transactions

Also, in section 11.4.a, Risk-Based Holds, Paypal can put a hold on all your payments or transactions if they consider them a high risk. What they call a 'high risk' is kept very loose.

Paypal has spent tons of time and money to be usable in many countries, and will probably not engage in money laundering or avoidance of transfer limits set by the Argentinian government.

I looked for maximum transfer limits, but couldn't find a page with them on it on Paypal. I'm thinking that if there's a question regarding that, the original country's laws would kick in and force Paypal to put a hold on the balance over that limit.

Why is Western Union/Paypal/etc so expensive to use to move money across borders? This is why. They've done the legal work to ensure that the company can continue to do business in that country, and every government wants their 'handout' to allow economic activity to cross their borders. In other cases, limitations have been placed due to sanctions. Either way, all this legal work costs a bunch to research, set up, and change with each government change.

Bitcoin may work just fine to move $100 from the US to some peckerhead in Botswana, and you can probably get away with it if it's a tiny amount moving rarely or not big enough to be worth the bribes, legalized fees, and other costs that have been designated by both sides. Once you start talking about multiple thousands, though...things change.

GPF fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 4, 2016

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Goatfather posted:

bitcoin is a crime backed currency this shouldn't be a shock to anyone.
See, the funny thing is that Pochoclo can likely figure out a way to do it legally, even if it involves a lot of legwork. However, you still can't answer how he would convert his Argentine currency into bitcoins.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
if there was a way to actually get bitcoins it'd be way better than his 'carry cash to and from the airport and on multiple $2k plane trips' plan since you could cash in/out in small increments but yeah I have no idea how feasible it is to actually get bitcoins there

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

The Goatfather posted:

you probably should actually use bitcoin instead of this hilarious retarded scheme you've got going on. it's not the hilarious wild west libertarian wasteland it used to be now that the justice department has been cracking down on shady bitcoin operations for a few years

Lol literally every bitcoin operation in history was a rock solid financial powerhouse right up until the moment it suddenly wasn't. You have an uphill climb to convince many of us who've seen this pattern play out time and again that, no really, you can trust this exchange.

Show me a bitcoin operation that isn't shady, and I'll show you a bitcoin operation that's so hilariously incompetent as to be indistinguishable from shady.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
As I understand, there's a "violating the spirit of the law but technically legal" way to get the money out. It is a bit cumbersome but not too bad. People are instead suggesting a bunch of "probably violating the letter of the law" methods, including buttcoinses.

And the original poster was not even talking about flying the money out - just that even if there wasn't a legal way, he'd rather fly the money out in batches rather than gambling with retard bits.

I'd like to be the first to suggest perhaps using doge coin. That way you can be just as retarded as with Dunning Krugerrands with the added benefit of being able to spew doge memes and people being unable to decide whether you are retarded or it's a language barrier.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Goatfather posted:

regurgitation is all that normally goes on in these threads

And people say rainbow parties are a myth.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
goatfather isnt a bitcoiner and yall itt are hysteric and creepy when someone calls u out on even the slightest passing discrepancy with the version of reality that 1500 pages worth of requoting has imprinted into ur goofy loving heads

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

whoflungpoop posted:

goatfather isnt a bitcoiner and yall itt are hysteric and creepy when someone calls u out on even the slightest passing discrepancy with the version of reality that 1500 pages worth of requoting has imprinted into ur goofy loving heads

It's more that we're astonished that people will still go to even the slightest effort to defend the financial tire fire that is Bitcoin the moment someone posts funny words about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
no yall are just so high on ur own spergy hatefarts that when someone says yeah bitcoin is retarded but there are edge cases for its use the whole thread goes into :frogsiren: instead of taking a moment to reflect on the fundamental truth of how even the shittest and most retarded innovations can for some ppl and circumstances work out fine even Walmart has customers

• Locked thread