Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Some Japanese player told me they're the strongest combo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Skald has always seemed not very hard to me to be honest.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Wizard is such an awesome starting background. I had taken a long time off to mess with skalds because I love them like no other but decided on a whim to murder some poor wizards and holy crap are they versatile. Flame cloud, imps and meph will carry you through so much poo poo as long as you are patient and it always feels great to down a hill giant at level 6 with a swarm of angry imps biting off its ankles while it bumps into a wall before finally hitting itself in the face.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Person Dyslexic posted:

Wizard is such an awesome starting background. I had taken a long time off to mess with skalds because I love them like no other but decided on a whim to murder some poor wizards and holy crap are they versatile. Flame cloud, imps and meph will carry you through so much poo poo as long as you are patient and it always feels great to down a hill giant at level 6 with a swarm of angry imps biting off its ankles while it bumps into a wall before finally hitting itself in the face.

I'm a big fan of the tight hallway + mephitic cloud + conjure flame and then hoping A) he gets confused and B) doesn't confuse himself into smashing into me. This strategy works for a lot of monsters in my opinion! Similar variant is the waiting until monster comes into vision and then building a pathway of fire as you move away and they bum rush their way closer and closer into you. Useful for hydras, yaks, skeletons/zombies etc.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

I'm a big fan of the tight hallway + mephitic cloud + conjure flame and then hoping A) he gets confused and B) doesn't confuse himself into smashing into me. This strategy works for a lot of monsters in my opinion! Similar variant is the waiting until monster comes into vision and then building a pathway of fire as you move away and they bum rush their way closer and closer into you. Useful for hydras, yaks, skeletons/zombies etc.

Yeah one of my favorite strats too. It always surprises me when people say wizard has no stopping power because I find you can usually ride the starting book through orc and lair.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

idk if I like how this looks

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Person Dyslexic posted:

Yeah one of my favorite strats too. It always surprises me when people say wizard has no stopping power because I find you can usually ride the starting book through orc and lair.

Wizard is actually the best hybrid start.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

idk if I like how this looks

very ninja turtles (?)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Coming back after taking a super long break from the game, it's still really cool. What do you do with Pallekas though? I like getting gifted rods and stuff, but other than recharging wands, when do you use his other powers?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Honestly I almost never used the power surge thing. I just ran around with a huge arsenal of rods and other evocables, using my gadgets and my hands to beat everything up like Batman in between recharging my haste and healing wands.

I used Supercharge on a Rod of Iron and it was kind of cool I guess. If the Rod of Inaccuracy is still in I'd consider supercharging that next time around. Barring that, I'd just supercharge a Rod of Shadows or something.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Did Trog get nerfed at some point? I remember I used to get hilarious amounts of weapon drops from him by sacrificing everything, but it seems like you can't sacrifice corpses anymore.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The new wands are cool + good and now I'm more down with the change. Iceblast being partially irresistable makes it useful in the way that the Bolt wands were without making them particularly stronger early on, I guess. Better elemental coverage and easier access to acid as an attack is cool.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Did Trog get nerfed at some point? I remember I used to get hilarious amounts of weapon drops from him by sacrificing everything, but it seems like you can't sacrifice corpses anymore.

Corpse sacrifice has been gone for a while, but I thought they had increased his piety gain from kills to compensate. I never really noticed any significant difference in the weapon drop rate before and after.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I seemed to have been getting weapons as often as I remember. One every few floors or five or six thousand turns.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It probably depends on how eager you were for sacrifice versus keeping permafood around; not everyone sacrificed equally, so it can't be the same outcome for everyone after sacrifice is gone.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

BigFactory posted:

Coming back after taking a super long break from the game, it's still really cool. What do you do with Pallekas though? I like getting gifted rods and stuff, but other than recharging wands, when do you use his other powers?

Wear an amulet of Faith and blast your wands all willy-nilly. As soon as mp refills recharge back up a wand, even if it ain't completely empty. Supercharge a Rod of Iron. Uses Surge with Rod of Iron against any high health, low AC creatures point blank to shotgun them to death in one or two shots.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For races that don't have the int for three-rune level 9 spells, what are the best finishing spells? My demonspawn is running freezing cloud and poison arrow right now, and wonder what else I should be on the lookout to memorize.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FCloud and PArrow are plenty strong enough to win the game with. If I were you I'd branch out to get something non-elemental or similar that will let you kill e.g. undead and OoFs. IMB, Iron Shot, Airstrike maybe, that sort of thing. You're pretty much set otherwise.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ok, cool. I was mostly worried about orbs of fire, but I'm a million years away from them, still in the lair branches, so I'll just not worry about it and focus on non-spell skills for a while.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
DDFi is supposed to be an easy combo, but for the life of me I can't seem to get this one off the ground. I thought going Makleb would help alleviate the healing problems but even then it becomes a war of attrition since it feels like there's no way to *not* take damage if you're in melee thanks to the swingy RNG. Is that really all there is to it, in I should just get the biggest armor possible and get luckier with the damage RNG and Mak heals? Or should I try Pakellas and just keep recharging healing wands while spamming everything else?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

DDBe is easier than DDFi, but DD Makhleb tip: lesser destruction doesn't hurt and you have +3 invocations aptitude. Also, major destruction hurts, but hurts less than a turn in melee with a hydra.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I didn't know damage shaving worked on Makleb's invocations. That will certainly help with some ranged plinking.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Don't disrespect lesser destruction's damage. If you go hard on invocations you can use it as your main damage source at least to a rune.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

I didn't know damage shaving worked on Makleb's invocations. That will certainly help with some ranged plinking.

Damage shaving works on literally everything: smiting, torment, hellfire, poison, whatever. It is incredibly strong, and the inability to heal is often just an inconvenience once you get Mak/a vamp weapon up and running because starting with a heal wounds wand in addition to damage shaving is outright broken.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

quote:

Be aware that the deep dwarf's innate damage reduction (i.e. damage shaving) does not reduce the damage caused by using Mahkleb's abilities.

I know the wiki has a lot of outdated information but I guess that's straight-up wrong. Yeah I just got Makhleb and have a faith amulet so on this guy I'm splitting Axes and Invocations until mindelay. Then I guess Fighting/Armour for a bit.

Edit: Nope, just tried it, I guess I still get hit for 1hp by casting minor destruction :smith:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

For races that don't have the int for three-rune level 9 spells, what are the best finishing spells? My demonspawn is running freezing cloud and poison arrow right now, and wonder what else I should be on the lookout to memorize.

Well as a troll you can get away with just...
Demonspawn???

Demonspawn totally has the int to get level 9 spells before your third rune. It depends entirely on your skills but glaciate or tornado/chain lightning from freezing is totally fine.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is that really all there is to it, in I should just get the biggest armor possible and get luckier with the damage RNG and Mak heals?
Well, also try and play as carefully as you can vis-à-vis pulling enemies to corridors and fighting them 1-v-1(but of course you should be doing that no matter what).

Megalowmaniac
Oct 29, 2012
So I got my first win playing a MiBe after sending hundreds of casters to their deaths (mostly deep elves) and I'm wondering what the next-easiest race/background combination to win with is? I've tried SpEn and I'm able to get to the Vaults semi-consistently but I don't know what my best option is once stabbing runs its course. I imagine I could transition into a fighty character but I'm worried about my spriggan's inability to wear things other than robes and hats. Do I just go Oka and hold out for dragon armor?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Megalowmaniac posted:

So I got my first win playing a MiBe after sending hundreds of casters to their deaths (mostly deep elves) and I'm wondering what the next-easiest race/background combination to win with is? I've tried SpEn and I'm able to get to the Vaults semi-consistently but I don't know what my best option is once stabbing runs its course. I imagine I could transition into a fighty character but I'm worried about my spriggan's inability to wear things other than robes and hats. Do I just go Oka and hold out for dragon armor?

Try a GrGl of Oka or a FoFi of Chei if you just want pure easy. If you want a good caster go with a GrEE, a HOFE or a MfIE. If you want a stabber a VpEn is much more survivable than SpEn.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Megalowmaniac posted:

So I got my first win playing a MiBe after sending hundreds of casters to their deaths (mostly deep elves) and I'm wondering what the next-easiest race/background combination to win with is?

Akett covered it pretty well, but I'll second GrEE. Very survivable caster type.

I've tried a lot of Spriggans, but my only win with a stabber has been a KoAs of Fedhas, for a good 3 rune run. I found that fairly easy to get going, so that's another recommendation.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You could always play a hill orc to be fairly beefy but also dabble in some buff spells.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Megalowmaniac posted:

Go Nem, use ornate/legendary decks, sacks of spiders, phantom mirrors, boxes of beasts and the elemental evokers when something you can't stab appears, laugh your way to the orb with a +3 Evocations apt. However, if you get about 14-15 Hexes you can confuse anything with MR++ or less often for a 3 rune game.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Does anyone have survivability tips for a DEFE?

I've managed to kill both of these after clearing Lair and Orc, where usually things start rolling, E1 was an absolute disaster.

Is the answer simply don't do Elf1-2 after Orc or should I be focusing more on defence in general and am going at this all wrong? I've only ever been playing blaster caster, and while that works with GrEE quite well, DEFE seems to fall apart in the late mid game.

https://crawl.project357.org/morgue/unimpressed/morgue-unimpressed-20160203-070332.txt

https://crawl.project357.org/morgue/unimpressed/morgue-unimpressed-20160131-034057.txt

I had dozens of spells to choose from in books not carried for both of these. Just looking for a general pattern you guys use with DEFEs.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Worship Vehumet.

Elf is possible immediately after Orc for some characters. Squishy casters who can't oneshot elves are not those characters.

Worship Vehumet.

Armour skill doesn't mean jack when you're wearing robes, the amount of investment you need for even 1 ac makes it a terrible investment even if you had +4 apt, you should be avoiding it like the plague as a DE.

Worship Vehumet.

You have too much spellcasting and not enough spell school. I have spoken about the value of spellcasting but you shouldn't be training it at the same level as your primary schools, it shouldn't be your highest skill for most of the game. Focus train spell schools, only ever basic train spellcasting.

Worship Vehumet.

Statue form isn't going to do anything for you and you invested too much into translocations for blink, which should be castable almost just off your int/spellcasting. If you're going to branch into a new spell school for utility, make sure it's for something really valuable.

Sif Muna is not your friend, worship Vehumet.

e: Vehumet is not the only God for casters (He's just the best one :colbert:) but Sif Muna is definitely a bad one.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Did they gently caress with the X > stairway pathfinding recently? I think it's ignoring walls and picking the nearest physical stairs instead of the quickest stairs to walk to.

E: Okay, now I'm absolutely sure that's what's happening, or something like that.

Akett fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 4, 2016

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Sif Muna is an extremely good caster god.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Darox posted:

Armour skill doesn't mean jack when you're wearing robes, the amount of investment you need for even 1 ac makes it a terrible investment even if you had +4 apt, you should be avoiding it like the plague as a DE.

For a character with full slots wearing a helmet, a robe gets you an extra point of AC every 3.7 points of armour skill (4.4 if wearing a hat). It is worth getting at least one AC from that on literally every character, though it's not an immediate priority obviously.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

ThermosAquaticus posted:

For a character with full slots wearing a helmet, a robe gets you an extra point of AC every 3.7 points of armour skill (4.4 if wearing a hat). It is worth getting at least one AC from that on literally every character, though it's not an immediate priority obviously.

8 levels of armour at -2 apt for 2 ac is not a good trade off, and it just gets worse as you go up. I was a little hyperbolic but the combination of robes and typical caster race apts means armour is a mediocre investment for most of them.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

Darox posted:

8 levels of armour at -2 apt for 2 ac is not a good trade off, and it just gets worse as you go up. I was a little hyperbolic but the combination of robes and typical caster race apts means armour is a mediocre investment for most of them.

Personally, if I had full slots i'd get 1 AC in Lair, and a second after I had a Level 6 spell up and running. I wouldn't go beyond that in robes, but I don't feel aptitude is a good excuse since a) single digit skill investments are cheap past a certain point, b) your main aptitudes are so good, and c) they are boosted even further by Vehumet.

But then again I'd probably shoot for troll leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Ferrinus posted:

Sif Muna is an extremely good caster god.

Sif Muna is fine, Vehumet is just way better for blaster casters like a DEFE. Not using Vehumet on a DEFE feels almost suffocating at times, without the extra range on spells you don't have the ability to nuke stuff as soon as you see it nearly as often. As a squishy blaster, killing dudes at the edge of your LOS makes for a very good defense. Extra range also directly translates to more damage output vs melee enemies: against Lair enemies like Hydras, that extra "free" turn for blasting the hydra can mean a dead hydra as opposed to you blinking or teleporting. The mana on kill and "wizardry" bonus on offensive spells are also very strong abilities.

Subjectively speaking, I think Sif's abilities are really boring. That isn't to say Vehumet is much better, but at least with Vehumet you don't need to manage a bunch of spellbooks, and recovering MP as you kill is more interesting than pressing 'aa' as long as your character can support that playstyle. I can't imagine playing a mummy caster without Sif, though, so there's that. :v:

• Locked thread