Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

A question for the ages

EDIT: Well. All caught up. Wonder what I'll do with my spare time now.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
it owns that the first event in part 6 is a frank discussion of public masturbation

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That and one later scene are just stuff Araki stole from episodes of Seinfeld.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i was trying to think of something to say about that image before i posted it

i didn't

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
"How do you do, fellow teens."

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

alcharagia posted:

i didn't

"I'm loving Jotaro's new look!"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
My copy of Battle Tendency vol. 2 hasn't arrived yet, but I spied a copy in a local bookstore and decided to read the author's notes in the back. Lots of interesting insights into the creation and implementation of Lisa Lisa's character.

Unless somebody else does it first, I'll transcribe what he had to say and post about it here when my copy finally shows up.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tia

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Bad Seafood posted:

My copy of Battle Tendency vol. 2 hasn't arrived yet, but I spied a copy in a local bookstore and decided to read the author's notes in the back. Lots of interesting insights into the creation and implementation of Lisa Lisa's character.

Unless somebody else does it first, I'll transcribe what he had to say and post about it here when my copy finally shows up.
Yeah that stuff is great
Also:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

alcharagia posted:

i didn't

Number 1 DILF?

Hot for Daddy?

Star Plati-yum?

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 4, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"Warden, there's a lost child wearing snake print leather pants."
"Oh, you poor thing."

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only Jotaro fig i'll ever buy will be a snakepants one

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

My father wears grateful dead t-shirts and socks with sandals so honestly snakeskin pant/boot...things seem totally fine by comparison

dogsicle posted:

the only Jotaro fig i'll ever buy will be a snakepants one

I own Edgy Teen 'Taro but yeah I desperately want a Stone Ocean Jotaro SAS.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
thoughts about part 6:

-it is cool

-hermes owns

-please tell me foo fighters is a recurring character

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
haha foo fighters owns

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

alcharagia posted:

haha foo fighters owns

Foo Fighters is amazing. Hermes is loving great as well and Jolyne's a great JoJo. I'm not saying much else til you finish, but that'll be like tomorrow so I won't have to wait long.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
foo fighters is good, jolyne and hermes are cool and gay

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

hatty posted:

Yeah that stuff is great
Also:

That's kind of hosed.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I love how Arakis execution of the so called crucifixion

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Number 1 DILF?

Hot for Daddy?

Star Plati-yum?

This is a Good Post.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

alcharagia posted:

haha foo fighters owns

She is the best. Love that F.F.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

This is a Good Post.

If you've spoken to Okuyasu privately, you may want to reconsider encouraging them to start posting DILF things, lest they flood the thread with "cummies".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

let's be real here, jotaro aged like a fine wine

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Looking at Stone Ocean and saying Jotaro aged is questionable.

He "got younger than his daughter" like fine wine.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Great, now I want to see Jolyne in her 30s

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jotaro aged so well he got younger

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I've been reading Steel Ball Run for the first time and The True Man's World fight is loving godlike. That is all.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bad Seafood posted:

Here we go.

Hirohiko Araki posted:

"Lisa Lisa the Hamon teacher. For the second JoJo , I had a female character play the part of the Hamon master. This idea originally stemmed from me wondering what it would be like for a female to follow up the original Hamon master, Mr. Zeppeli from Part 1. There actually weren't too many female characters in JoJo's at that point, but she works well paired with Joseph and Caesar, doesn't she? There are times where I simply think 'no...a guy or an older man just wouldn't work here' and pick characters based off the balance of the group. The first obstacle with Lisa Lisa character was her name. Back then, if you picked a non-Japanese name for your character, it was a challenge to get the audience to remember it. That's why I picked Lisa Lisa--I had hoped that like with JoJo, a repetitious name would help. It also phonetically resembles Japanese to some extent.

When this part was originally seralized, the girls that showed up in shonen manga were all cute types -- essentially the stereotype of "a man's ideal girl." Readers weren't looking for a realistic portrayal of women, but instead, the type of girl that giggles during a conversation with hearts marks appearing next to her. That's why I think a warrior-type character like Lisa Lisa felt fresh. Mr. Zeppeli in Part 1 was a very gentle character, and to contrast that, I made her what you would call a "sadistic" character today. There was a girl in my neighborhood that would tutor me toward the end of elementary school. She was incredibly smart and it was very intimidating for me! Not that she was a sadist or anything (laughs). I think I was inspired by that exhilarating "nervousness" that I felt around my female tutor. It's normal to see strong women these days, but back then, it was unheard of in shonen manga, not to mention society in general. It was exciting to challenge people's expectations through the medium of Weekly Shonen Jump by having a woman train the main character so he can get stronger.

In addition to functioning as someone's master, most people also weren't used to see a woman fight. When displaying the strength of a character for example if it's an old man, there could be a backstory where he spent his youth doing harsh training, therefore he was able to learn techniques and become a master. That would explain why he could catch a fly with chopsticks...but for a woman, there needs to be something more substantive to back it up. In a match, common sense dictates that physically, the stronger one would win, but I realized that if you add supernatural abilities into the mix, a woman can fight on even footing with a strong male oppenent. In other words, if the battle is between those with supernatural powers, physical abilities have nothing to do with strength. The Hamon is Lisa Lisa's supernatural ability. The idea of "looks being irrelevant in supernatural battles" is what led to the introducting of Stands in Part 3."

That took twenty minutes to type from my phone so my bad if there are any errors.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 4, 2016

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Maybe... maybe Jotaro was learning Hamaon in secret, to keep his beauty.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lisa Lisa the Ham On teacher

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Johnny Joestar posted:

jotaro aged so well he got younger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDz1FyLpO3U

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so lisa lisa is the progenitor of stands

she's so cool

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's some dank memes for the jojo thread

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Illuso continues to be the best female lead

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Memes?

ZA WARUDO

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's an event this weekend where new Statue Legend and Super Action Statue announcements are expected. Gyro will probably get shown, based on old facts/knowledge.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Baal posted:

Here's some dank memes for the jojo thread

I'm illuso though calimero is a close second, thanks for the meme

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's an event this weekend where new Statue Legend and Super Action Statue announcements are expected. Gyro will probably get shown, based on old facts/knowledge.

If we're getting more SBR figures, here's hoping for Valentine :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The perfect troll on a Jojo friend is sneaking into his room and replacing his Buffentine figure with the definitely going-to-happen Fatentine or Grampentine figures and freaking him the gently caress out.