Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Death Glare

quote:

This troper, while a fire chief, had to deal with a pre-teen who had intentionally set a snowmobile on fire. Said kid's parents were trying to excuse it as a simple childish accident gone awry. Having been in a really bad mood for assorted reasons, I didn't want to lose my temper, but apparently the death glare came out and, within minutes, the kid was crying and promising never to do anything like it again and the parents were working out a deal to pay the owner for damages. A local police officer present asked if I could be borrowed next time they had an interrogation.

6 feet

quote:

This Troper (Draken) did this on accident to a photographer for his senior photos. The guy asked him to give the best serious look he can. So This Troper did. When the guy went to pick out the photo outta tha machine, the photographer AND his assisstant jumped back 6 feet. "drat, kid, you look like you're about to kill us!" Best part? The photographer accidentally put that image on a RED background. This Troper still has the photo, and was disappointed when he couldn't put it as his picture in the yearbook.
Then there was another incident. He was working for a movie theater a year later, waiting for a movie to finish so he and a coworker could clean, and the coworker asked if he could see what This Troper looked like when he was angry. So he did. In the dark. Coworker nearly fainted. Had to sit down afterward.

4th Grade

quote:

My 4th grade teacher had the closest thing to a death glare you will ever see. I hope, even if you are a murdrer, that you don't, because no one deserves to see it, heck not any 4th grader. It made one kid faint in front of the whole class when she gave him the stare because he got a wrong awnser. That kid is usually pretty solid, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Haha they literally live in a dumb animé it's great

quote:

but in my defense, I am a terrible person

ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kizudarake posted:

Here's a slight switch up from CMOA trooper tales. I'm linking instead of quoting because wonkette's got some poo poo code that discourages copy-pasting from phones.

C.A. Pinkham posts articles that are the laziest loving things because he's getting them from emails full of stdh.txt

He got fired from Gawker, so he took this Schtick to Wonkette.

Edit: shitthatDIDhappen.txt:

CAPinkham is a piece of poo poo.

I can't imagine how worthless a journalist has to be to get fired from Gawker. Well, I couldn't, now I can.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

kizudarake posted:

Here's a slight switch up from CMOA trooper tales. I'm linking instead of quoting because wonkette's got some poo poo code that discourages copy-pasting from phones.

C.A. Pinkham posts articles that are the laziest loving things because he's getting them from emails full of stdh.txt

He got fired from Gawker, so he took this Schtick to Wonkette.

Edit: shitthatDIDhappen.txt:

CAPinkham is a piece of poo poo.

From this rear end in a top hat:

quote:

Dan Grayson

It was the summer of 1987 and I had just returned from Washington, D.C. after working as a page on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives. What lofty job awaited me on return to Michigan? Working at McDonald’s.

In reality, it was my choice, as my two best friends were working there already. I figured why not spend some time and catch up by working together? Basically, we just had fun, and made food in our spare time.

One “fun time” we took the training video for cooking chicken McNuggets home, and decided to do some editing. The video was left alone at the beginning. “We’re the happy chicken McNuggets! We want to show you how to make the best McNuggets in the world!” cried the creepy McPuppet McNuggets.

“You put us in the fryer….” At this point, we swapped in the video from Faces of Death where a chicken gets its head cut off. So, as the chicken is running around in some remote farm, sans head, the narrative continued:

“Keep us in the fryer 6 minutes until golden brown. Place us in the warming tray until a customer orders us. Count out 4, 6, 10 or 20 pieces, depending on the order.”

Video continues. Chicken still running around. Sans head.

“Remember, we’re the happy chicken McNuggets everyone loves!”

We put the tape back in the training room. A few days later, during a training group’s indoctrination into all things McDonald’s, we hear the manager scream, “Nick, get in here!” (Our buddy Nick always took the fall.)

Wish we had thought to make a copy of that video.

Read more at http://wonkette.com/598304/stories-of-restaurant-employees-who-unleashed-their-inner-smartass#xSvFRVdlytsG6PPj.99

I too owned a professional grade video editing rig in 1987, which I used from time to time when I wasn't busy being a congressional page or working at Mickey-D's.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That's a really tame and boring story, though. Why make it up?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Jay Rust posted:

Sheltered lives that make then think inane poo poo is epic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

That question applies to half the poo poo posted here. People are just loving weird and starved for attention.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
McD's only recently switched to 10 piece packs. It was 4, 6, 9, or 20 in 1987.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Jay Rust posted:

That's all of those stories. They're all just boring, dumb poo poo. If it happened, who cares? If it didn't why would you waste the time coming up with it? I know it's been harped on but that's why I like troper tales. It's so over the top bonkers I can't help but be entertained.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Sorry double post.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Leon Einstein posted:

:goonsay:

I love how there's always someone to pick up on the smallest least unbelievable detail in this thread :allears:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

how the gently caress do you know this

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

He reads a lot of Whomp.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I can't imagine how worthless a journalist has to be to get fired from Gawker. Well, I couldn't, now I can.

http://gawker.com/tommy-craggs-and-max-read-are-resigning-from-gawker-1719002144
http://www.mediaite.com/online/gawker-takes-down-controversial-piece-outing-timothy-geithners-brother/

Out a nobody, get fired
Out a politician(Conservaplz), get promoted

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Leon Einstein posted:

This comment is like if comic book guy and Professor Frink had a baby

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

cash crab posted:

This comment is like if comic book guy and Professor Frink had a baby

And that baby's name...? I wonder.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Kal-Albert Einstein

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Iron Rose posted:

Really, it's the ultimate goon :thurman:

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
It could also be completely made up and nobody would know.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

FeastForCows posted:

And that baby's name...? I wonder.

:eyepop:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

MonoAus posted:

It could also be completely made up and nobody would know.

Nobody here was a child in 1987 who visited McDonalds? "Chicken McNugget numbers" was also a neat math problem (which integers can you make by adding 6s, 9s, 20s? Or after what point can you get all integers?) though not available in all areas.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

rchandra posted:

Nobody here was a child in 1987 who visited McDonalds? "Chicken McNugget numbers" was also a neat math problem (which integers can you make by adding 6s, 9s, 20s? Or after what point can you get all integers?) though not available in all areas.

I was born in 1987, just lol if you're old enough to remember buying lovely fast food that long ago grandpa. :smug:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Haha you're almost 30

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

:(

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

rchandra posted:

Remind me how to do that problem.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BgRdMchne posted:

Remind me how to do that problem.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CoinProblem.html

"There is no closed-form solution for n=3, although a semi-explicit solution is known which allows values to be computed quickly."
"No closed-form solution is known for n>4."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

kimbo305 posted:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CoinProblem.html

"There is no closed-form solution for n=3, although a semi-explicit solution is known which allows values to be computed quickly."
"No closed-form solution is known for n>4."

Yeah but you skipped

"Determining the function g(a_1,a_2,...,a_n) giving the greatest N=g(a_1,a_2,...,a_n) for which there is no solution" is the definition of the coin problem, not simply finding the given solution to add up to a number or if there isn't one. That a significantly bigger ask and that's why there's no N>4 closed-form solution.

However for simply doing what BgRdMchne was saying you just need the formula Wolfram has listed, there is a solution: N = Sigma(Ai Xi) starting with i=1 to i=n with the values Ai representing the values of the coins.

Basically its just a real simple lowest common denominator problem.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Everything about McDonald's relates back to the lowest common denominator

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

However for simply doing what BgRdMchne was saying you just need the formula Wolfram has listed, there is a solution: N = Sigma(Ai Xi) starting with i=1 to i=n with the values Ai representing the values of the coins.

Depends on what he meant by "how to do that problem." If problem = coin problem, sure, you just iterate over a pretty small space until you find a match or exhaust your space.
If problem = how to find a solution for any N, you can either do the above slowly or use the formula if n=2.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

The Iron Rose posted:

I worked there as a teenager. Granted, it wasn't in 87, but I don't imagine they went from 10 to 9 and back again.

Leon Einstein has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Feb 4, 2016

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Thanks.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Badass Bookworm

Pencils

quote:

This troper is a major geek. He's extremely well-versed on the Internet, to the point where except for about three people, everyone in the school is an idiot when it comes to the Internet, has a book in his pocket wherever he goes (which he promptly whips out to read at any given time when he has nothing to do), always carries a pen and/or pencil in his pocket at school, and is so intelligent that, mainly as a result of his constant reading since before preschool and his love for acting, makes him come off as very eloquent, often coming up with spontaneous monologues when the situation demands it and snapping off snarky one-liners in response to any insults. As such, he was considered a prime bullying target until 9th grade, when a student who was sitting with his friends in Biology (there was a substitute teacher, so people just went to their friends' seats), who had always tormented him and was later expelled twice for selling drugs in the middle of class, took his pencil for what must have been the 10th time. Having enough of it, this troper calmly walked around to where he was with his friends, grabbed the wrist holding the pencil with one arm, grabbing his other bicep to keep it from moving, and jamming his arm into his throat. The whole class froze at this immediate immobilization, and this troper calmly said "Drop it". The pencil dropped right into his hand, and he calmly walked back to his desk and continued reading his novel.

Pens

quote:

This troper was a major nerd and bookworm ever since he discovered programming books and an IDE at the age of 10. Since then he dove head-on into the computer science vocation, and was well-known for being a dork. Also everyone thought he was gay because he went around kissing everyone as a child, having found their reactions (surprise and fear) hilarous. In high school he was generally silent when it came to riding on the bus, preferring to scribble in his notebook or pour over programming books. A younger student decided to screw with him by stealing books from his backpack. The troper was not amused, and after politely asking for him to return the books (and his request being ignored), used his handy pen as a weapon and jabbed the urchin in the eyes. People stayed away from him for awhile, but alas they had a short memory, as the same urchin decided to get into the troper's face, swear his head off, and point his finger directly at the troper's mouth, proclaiming the troper must have a propensity for fellatio. Again the troper was unamused, and promptly opened his mouth and bit down upon the urchin's hand, very hard. The student shrieked and withdrew his hand, scraping it upon the troper's sharp canines, producing a trickle of blood. Nobody hosed with this troper after that. Needless to say, though, he served an in-house suspension, and he gained a reputation for being unconventional when it came to physical conflict.

Knives

quote:

This Troper is one of the biggest bookworms at his school, and self-proclaimed biggest nerd in the district. He's also 6'4, almost 200 pounds, speaks and acts like a Violent Glaswegian (due in no small part to his father being from Glasgow), and has being known to easily grapple and pin people then proceed to repeatedly bash their heads in using his own...while being too drunk to stand on his own. Also well known to have carried a knife of some sort every day since Grade 6 (currently a wrench-knife kept in the same pocket as a bible and a deck of cards).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Every word of this is probably true. He's one of those "quirky" fuckheads who thinks people avoid him because they're intimidated by his massive intellect but the truth is he has no friends because he's a loving weirdo who talks like a self-published steampunk novel and violently lashes out at people.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man this cat isn't gay, just a rapist in the making.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Khazar-khum posted:

Badass Bookworm

Troper Tales are always such intensely angry power fantasies. It's hard to read sometimes. Speaking of hard to read, a short one:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Every word of this is probably true. He's one of those "quirky" fuckheads who thinks people avoid him because they're intimidated by his massive intellect but the truth is he has no friends because he's a loving weirdo who talks like a self-published steampunk novel and violently lashes out at people.

The part where he grabs the guy's bicep and "calmly" tells him off is definitely not true.

The rest about being a smug weirdo is definitely true.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The part where he grabs the guy's bicep and "calmly" tells him off is definitely not true.

The rest about being a smug weirdo is definitely true.

Well, don't forget that he grabbed a wrist, a bicep, and put his arm across the other guy's throat. So I'm guessing he's a Thalidomide Baby, what with the third arm and all.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

How can anyone think stabbing someone in the eye with a pen is justified or something that people eventually just forget? I think that troper has not had a lot of human contact and maybe just fantasizes about being bullied.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

flosofl posted:

Well, don't forget that he grabbed a wrist, a bicep, and put his arm across the other guy's throat. So I'm guessing he's a Thalidomide Baby, what with the third arm and all.

The pencil also dropped into his waiting hand too, even though they were apparently grabbing wrists and biceps all over the place already. How bad do you have to be at creative writing to forget how many hands you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Maw posted:

The pencil also dropped into his waiting hand too, even though they were apparently grabbing wrists and biceps all over the place already. How bad do you have to be at creative writing to forget how many hands you have?

This Troper watched too much Dragonball.

• Locked thread