Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So are there any plans to add more RNW scenarios? Or at least tweak the ones that exist to use the new Lost Cultures?

I mean for gods sake we have atlantean culture but no chance for atlantis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VDay posted:

I always forget how it works because I don't play in the HRE a lot: is the religious league formation a MTTH event after you hit 1550? Or does the first country that reformed need to manually "activate" the league?

I believe it forms after the first elector goes Protestant or reformed

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Or do what I did, and leave Russia alive long enough for them to colonize those two provinces, then just take them.

I just took the first idea in exploration and then refunded it when the colony finished. Then switched 150+ province TO into Protestant, reformed into Prussia, saw a gigantic list of rebels, switched my government to Absolute Monarchy so I could get 125% discipline and A Fine Goosestep, and quit the game.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Is it me or is there something off about shattered retreats? If you're on a fort and get beaten, there's a chance that your entire army will suddenly get their movement locked by the fort, forcing them back into battle immediately, and with 0 morale they get stackwiped. Is that really intentional?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

axeil posted:

I believe it forms after the first elector goes Protestant or reformed

It takes longer than that. First the reformation had to get underway and then some pope-based events fire, culminating in the leagues.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Allyn posted:

Is it me or is there something off about shattered retreats? If you're on a fort and get beaten, there's a chance that your entire army will suddenly get their movement locked by the fort, forcing them back into battle immediately, and with 0 morale they get stackwiped. Is that really intentional?
I have noticed some wonkiness here and there - I imagine it is not intended and a result of them still trying to optimize how forts work.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dear Paradox, please continue to break up the cultures in Europe, ty

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Thanqol posted:

I hope the next big thing is a total redo of how naval combat works. Right now trying to sink an enemy fleet is almost comedic; you fight, they retreat into port, you siege down the port, you fight for another few ticks... and that's if you get a fight at all with how diligently smaller fleets will avoid conflict. I constantly have to pause, check movement directions, and update my own fleets on intercept courses, which they never reach in time.

Pro tip: once you're next to the enemy, split your light and heavy ships and send them both to intercept. The light ships will catch the bad guys and hold them for a few days while the heavies catch up.

This is silly and fiddly, like all naval combat, but works pretty well.

Thanqol posted:

Now that navies can't even blockade straits I cannot see the reason to manually control them.

But, they can?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

quote:

As a Russian, or at least a person that identifies as Russian, I have had my fair share of playing Russia

:ussr:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Big Boss's dream is coming true (note the year):

Apparently it is a Norse dream:

That involves time travel.

Honduras has as much economic development as Paris/Istanbul do. The 1.15 pause bug didn't last a long time but man you could do some glorious stuff with it :allears:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eh, it seems weird to split Russia up like that. The Great/Little/White Russian groups that appear in game as modern Russian, Ukrainian and Byelorussian were pretty well attested historically. Seems peculiar to dispense with them, unless the Devs see the disappearance of Novgorod cores to be a huge problem (personally I don't, Muscovy needs all the help it can get right now). More than anything I hate that they labelled a big area as 'Ryazanian' when Ryazan was never all that important of a principality. Must be a better name for it.

axeil posted:

Honduras has as much economic development as Paris/Istanbul do. The 1.15 pause bug didn't last a long time but man you could do some glorious stuff with it :allears:

I don't understand how you had the patience to drive all your techs to 20 like that. I'm happy I stopped at 12/4/14, just so that I was able to westernize eventually.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 3, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I don't understand how you had the patience to drive all your techs to 20 like that. I'm happy I stopped at 12/4/14, just so that I was able to westernize eventually.

I watched TV while clicking the mouse a bunch. I still think the game will end up being a challenge as the Euros will catch up to me eventually as I'm going to spend massive points on coring/developing everything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Most of that land you conquer won't be giving you any overextension, so just not coring it is a viable option. It's not like you'll be spending anything on tech for a while so you should have loads of points to go around.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Most of that land you conquer won't be giving you any overextension, so just not coring it is a viable option.

It's more the colonizing that I'm concerned about. I think I can take all the Incan land pretty quick. I used the force religion CB to make them all Norse and I'm just now waiting for the cooldown to go back to war and annex them all. I'm also debating if I should completely lock Spain out of South America or wait and have them do some colonizing for me. Right now I can run between 4-5 colonies at once before the exponential cost modifiers make it impossible.

I'm starting to wonder if a world conquest is possible with this game, given how much land I'm going to have and how far ahead I am in tech. Do you get the world conquest achievement for doing it with a custom nation?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

I'm starting to wonder if a world conquest is possible with this game, given how much land I'm going to have and how far ahead I am in tech. Do you get the world conquest achievement for doing it with a custom nation?

No.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, don't block the colonizers out (I'm worried I've already been overzealous about it, but they're starting to fill up Northern Canada and the Pacific NW now, so maybe not), you want them to settle land for you.

No WC achievement for custom nations. I also think it would be pretty drat tough to do from that position.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

I have one of those gaming keyboard with macro buttons, and the program lets me input a mouse click as a button. From my days playing clicker games I already had a key set to just press click a billion times while I held it down. It gave me tech 32 by 1450 but after getting pretty close to my goal (For Odin achievement) I stopped because there was nothing satisfying about getting an achievement that way. It was really, really, really, really fun to watch France's 40k stacks melt when they ran into my groups of 4k infantry, 2k cavalry though.

It was really weird though, because I could annihilate entire armies and siege Paris down in days and yet I got almost no contribution to the war goal. I'd have 4/5ths of France under my control, blockaded every port, and had wiped out entire armies and I'd be at 17% contribution. Spain would never give me Calais in a peace deal because I hadn't contributed enough.

Now I'm going to do achievement runs for things that I did before they were achievements, and first up is Form Malaya. Are there any other achievements I could get starting from there?

axeil posted:

I'm also debating if I should completely lock Spain out of South America or wait and have them do some colonizing for me. Right now I can run between 4-5 colonies at once before the exponential cost modifiers make it impossible.

Don't lock them out, but try to contain them. Make sure to grab the small islands that you can't make claims on before they do, so at the very least you won't have to war over those. As I said previously in the thread, I at one point had 12 colonists going at once and still didn't finish until the 1780s. That's with the Europeans colonizing large chunks of both Americas. Your tech advantage should give you a boost in colonization speed, but the largest bump from that is the ability to make factories everywhere starting very early. Just keep pumping your excess cash into buildings to give you more money and you'll be fine. Make sure to take trade and direct everything in the Americas to St Lawrence and collect there.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

quote:

When I play Russia, I tend to culture convert 100% of the land I conquer to be RUSSIAN, as long as it is not within my culture group.

GLORIOUS MOTHERLAND

I've been goofing around with a Scotland start. Became really easy once I allied France.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

What are the causes for an alliance to end, besides dishonoring a call to arms? I've been best buds (Friendly, +200 relations) with the Ottomans for 250 years and all of a sudden I get a message that my alliance has ended, and now they see me as enemies and are going to gently caress me over massively in 10 years. :(

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Jeoh posted:

What are the causes for an alliance to end, besides dishonoring a call to arms? I've been best buds (Friendly, +200 relations) with the Ottomans for 250 years and all of a sudden I get a message that my alliance has ended, and now they see me as enemies and are going to gently caress me over massively in 10 years. :(

Check what provinces they consider to be of vital interest. If you both consider a bunch of the same provinces as vital interest, it'll end. As well as if they consider some of yours vital interest. Usually they do that if they want to pretty up their borders and connect their territory. France and Ottomans get a lot of unique missions that give them claims, which could make them want your territory as well.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

quote:

Speaking from a pure gameplay perspective, though, for me that change means just few more cheap provinces to culture convert, as I obviously won't tolerate "Novgorodian" or "Ryazanian" culture nonsense, just like I don't tolerate "Belorussian" or "Ruthenian".
Stalin lives!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah, we don't have any shared provinces of vital interest (I'm a custom nation but have mostly taken the place of the Mamluks) besides Basra. My nation spans from Libya to Israel to the Cape of Good Hope, their nation spans from Iraq to southeastern Poland. :(

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

To be fair to Paradox, Russian culture doesn't exist in real life either.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Slavs are subhuman.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Actually, the really confusing thing about the Russian culture change is that they split out Novgorodian and Ryazanian cultures, but not Zaporozhian for some reason.

Jeoh posted:

Yeah, we don't have any shared provinces of vital interest (I'm a custom nation but have mostly taken the place of the Mamluks) besides Basra. My nation spans from Libya to Israel to the Cape of Good Hope, their nation spans from Iraq to southeastern Poland. :(

Do they have the Conquer Egypt mission? Either you own some province they want, or you're allied to their rivals.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 4, 2016

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The backlash against the Russian culture split is really dumb because when you form Russia you get an East Slavic cultural union. It's basically the tiniest nerf to early-game Russia, even if they took half of Novgorod their respective culture would be accepted.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I thought it was more a backlash against it being weird from a reality perspective more than game mechanics.

I really don't know how I feel about that or the Turkish change. The Ottomans should be stronger than they are in game but buffing them by lumping them in with the Middle Eastern group seems like a weird way to do it considering they really weren't very culturally alike at all. Especially if you're still separating French, Iberian, Germanic etc.

It's weird because on the one hand the devs seem to have no qualms whatsoever about handwaving historical realism away for gameplay purposes (and if it has a tangible benefit then I can agree that's a good thing) but on the other hand they're totally cool with rejigging borders by 3 pixels so that one town in the Baltic that housed about 4 dudes and a cow isn't grossly misrepresented.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I think the change to Russian is a good change in terms of "it is a huge area" - France, Germany, Italy, Iberia, China, India, ect all have sub-cultures, and Russia should, too.

For the Turks I think the change is good because their Asiatic and African subjects were much less revolt prone than their European subjects. That is in part to the religious state of affairs but those people were just less revolt-prone during the games timeperiod, so having them be a cultural group make sense.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

The backlash against the Russian culture split is really dumb because when you form Russia you get an East Slavic cultural union. It's basically the tiniest nerf to early-game Russia, even if they took half of Novgorod their respective culture would be accepted.
And a nerf to any non-East Slavic conqueror, who will have a harder time accepting Russians. (Which is a thing in its favor.) Though people seem to have a point in regards to how the cultures have been split.

Koramei posted:

I thought it was more a backlash against it being weird from a reality perspective more than game mechanics.
Partially a backlash from people who are really angry in real life that Ukrainians pretend they aren't Russians, partly people who think the chosen name makes no sense at all, like I don't know, splitting off Northern England and giving it the cultural Cestrian.

Koramei posted:

I really don't know how I feel about that or the Turkish change. The Ottomans should be stronger than they are in game but buffing them by lumping them in with the Middle Eastern group seems like a weird way to do it considering they really weren't very culturally alike at all. Especially if you're still separating French, Iberian, Germanic etc.
Which Paradox should rename to German. As for the issue at hand, maybe if cultural acceptance was tweaked a bit so there was a sort of synergy bonus if you controlled multiple cultures from the same culture group? I think it would make sense in terms of realism, as I imagine cultural acceptance basically meaning whether you administration can be bothered to respect local customs when it comes to government. Since a culture group presumably represents at last somewhat similar customs, it would basically mean they could adopt a similar policy across the region, and then do small tweaks to it for specific cultures. Like, maybe if a culture group in total represents 40% of your development, the requirement for accepting any cultures within it could be reduced to 15% or something, and 7.5% for maintaining it. Ideas and poo poo obviously affecting both like they do now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Koramei posted:

but on the other hand they're totally cool with rejigging borders by 3 pixels so that one town in the Baltic that housed about 4 dudes and a cow isn't grossly misrepresented.

Don't flak them for that, the Baltic border changes were awesome, and people had been asking for it for ages.

Now if only we could get the community behind a proper map projection.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Now if only we could get the community behind a proper map projection.
Mercator projection, HoI style province density.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EU5 should use an actual globe.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Fister Roboto posted:

VR. I wanna stand on the map and walk around my kingdom

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

observed a game for about 50 years before tag switching over to granada, who had been reduced to gibraltar and had managed from there as the AI to take back most of Andalusia. loving around with the AI settings in defines made a relatively pretty world, aside from poland who inherited hungary. i have no idea why nobody bothered to colonize brazil

currently 1721

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It should.

ImPureAwesome posted:

You stand in a room looking at maps. You grand captain moves the little army man named "rebels" unto your capital. You hear shouting and turn around, and see the rebels are already in your throne room. You blast the rebels with some Harsh Treatment Bolts, and inform you naval reformer that you're going to need all the power he can spare to cast your Culture Conversion spell on the rebel headquarter.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

ImPureAwesome posted:

Also, the 'culture convert' option should open up a first person shooter style ethnic cleansing minigame

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It should.

You stand in a room looking at maps. You grand captain moves the little army man named "rebels" unto your capital. You hear shouting and turn around, and see the rebels are already in your throne room. You blast the rebels with some Harsh Treatment Bolts, and inform you naval reformer that you're going to need all the power he can spare to cast your Culture Conversion spell on the rebel headquarter.

you can't culturally convert any province with separatism! my verisimilitude!...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

you can't culturally convert any province with separatism! my verisimilitude!...
If they make EU5 a VR first-person game, I think such a small change is plausible.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am up to 1550 in my Ethiopia game. I cant upload a screenshot because imgur is down and I am too lazy to try another site.

I have Religious and Exploration filled out, and one more level of Admin will get me my third group. I just finished coring my colony in St. Helena.

I have access to the med via a snake up through Egypt; the Ottomans own the rest or will soon. I have not rivalled the Ottomans yet and cannot get any of their Rivals to ally me (yet). I think I will have to bite the bullet and Rival the Ottomans and pray buff Aragon and THE COMMONWEALTH will ally me. The Ottomans vassalized Hedjaz before I could push into Arabia but I am pushing down the African coast towards the Mutapan gold mines.

I cant decide what Idea group to take next. I am leaning towards Economic because I am a poor, the inflation reduction would help me handle the gold mines, and more money means more armies; the Ottomans have 4 times the soldiers I do. My other thoughts are Trade or Expansion: Trade to funnel more money to East Africa, Expansion to colonize faster, have an extra merchant, and uh well yeah its not that great is it?

I am going to colonize next to a Spanish colony in Brazil so I can westernize, then probably abandon it. If I can find some way to keep the Ottomans off of my back I am considering doing a helldive into Indonesia or over to West Africa through the middle once I annex my vassal Funj.

edit: of course now that I typed that up imgur starts working:

Funj and Majeerteen are my vassals.

edit2: Should I take Defender of the Faith? I think I'm the only Coptic country other than Funj...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Navies can block straits unless the same person controls (completed sieges included) both connected provinces.

I can't think of one strait that does not start the game controlled from both sides. I know there aren't any in Europe, maybe one of the Arabian ones?

• Locked thread