Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Am I crazy or does that appear to be some ghetto attempt to convert a macpherson strut into a double wishbone design?

It's already a double wishbone from what I could tell, but they're trying to compensate for excessive negative camber introduced by lowering the car.

Instead of putting an adjustable upper control arm on, they've booger welded an extension block and a heim joint onto the end of the original arm and called it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

tater_salad posted:

poo poo I missed that..
This is like one of those find the hidden object games.

I love that the heim joint appears to be looking forlornly for its bolt.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I love modifications that have MTBFs measured in minutes.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So all 2016 Civics are pending mechanical failures: http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-orders-stop-sale-on-2016-civic-official-recall-pending/

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

“potentially missing or misset piston pin snap rings that may cause engine stall or failure.”

:gonk:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I see the PO of my drz moved on to better engine assembly jobs.

potential engine failure. Understatement of the fuckin' century right there.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

For a 'small amount' of affected vehicles, the amount of effort required in checking for correct placement of the wrist-pin-snap-rings, 4 times per engine, is enormous.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Boogalo posted:

“potentially missing or misset piston pin snap rings that may cause engine stall or failure.”

:gonk:

Which is why I'm at the dealer buying a 2013 right now.. no way am I buying a newly refreshed model of anything.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 4, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The 2006 r18 motors had a factory casting defect that caused the block to crack and all your coolant to evacuate. They can't seem to win with new platforms. On the r18 issue, they basically gave owners an infinity warranty for a new engine though. I assume this will have similar ramifications.

~earth dreams~ is a cooler name than R18

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

PaintVagrant posted:

The 2006 r18 motors had a factory casting defect that caused the block to crack and all your coolant to evacuate. They can't seem to win with new platforms. On the r18 issue, they basically gave owners an infinity warranty for a new engine though. I assume this will have similar ramifications.

~earth dreams~ is a cooler name than R18

Your avatar is so appropriate for that post :D

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

For a 'small amount' of affected vehicles, the amount of effort required in checking for correct placement of the wrist-pin-snap-rings, 4 times per engine, is enormous.

Really they should just punch out a huge surplus of known-good engines and tell the dealerships to replace them wholesale because it'sAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is it even possible to check those snap rings with a boroscope without dropping the crank?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cakefool posted:

Is it even possible to check those snap rings with a boroscope without dropping the crank?

Hahahaha

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

This is honda, and not a motorcycle.

bet .3 hours warranty pay for inspection.
engine probably has to be removed, head pulled, pan pulled, each rod unbolted and piston pulled from the top.

expect minimum 15-20 hours labor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fwiw we were replacing 2ZR pistons without taking the engine out of the car but, as you say

cursedshitbox posted:

This is honda

so it'll be the whole driveline out on the floor.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
After the 3rd or 4th one it should be down pat. I'm getting these down to a little over 9 hours.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/december/recall-yamaha-2015-yzf-r1-and-yzf-r1m/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DefaultPeanut posted:

After the 3rd or 4th one it should be down pat. I'm getting these down to a little over 9 hours.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/december/recall-yamaha-2015-yzf-r1-and-yzf-r1m/

How much are you paid for those 9 hours?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
15.8 hours. Flat rate is a fickle beast.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DefaultPeanut posted:

15.8 hours. Flat rate is a fickle beast.

Nice. Sometimes you eat the bear.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

BobHoward posted:

This is the perfect excuse to post Sand Won't Save You This Time. ClF3: an oxidizer stronger than oxygen itself.

(Every single one of his blog posts under the "Things I Won't Work With" category is an extremely pro click.)

From that article.

quote:

If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.”

So you're thinking you had a bad day? :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is my favourite Lowe quote, from Things I Won’t Work With: Chalcogen Polyazides.

quote:

Ranking my equipment in terms of its shrapneliferousness is not something that’s ever occurred to me, I have to say. It’s safe to assume that any procedure which involves considering which parts of the apparatus I’d prefer to have flying past me will not get much business in my lab, no matter how dashing I might look in a leather suit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Everyone has a favourite from TIWWW. This passage is mine.

quote:

. . . today’s paper goes a step further and makes an N-oxide out of a nitrogen on a nitrotetrazole ring. This both adds more oxygen and tends to make the crystal packing tighter, which raises the all-important kapow/gram ratio. (There is, of course, little reason to do this unless you feel that life is empty without sudden loud noises).

The paper mentions that “Introducing N-oxides onto the tetrazole ring may . . . push the limits of well-explored tetrazole chemistry into a new, unexplored, dimension.”, but (of more immediate importance) it may also push pieces of your lab equipment into unexplored parts of the far wall.
Nitrotetrazole Oxides

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm partial to the article on hexanitrohexaazaisowurtzitane, or CL-20.

quote:

There’s a recent report of a method to make a more stable form of it, by mixing it with TNT. Yes, this is an example of something that becomes less explosive as a one-to-one cocrystal with TNT. Although, as the authors point out, if you heat those crystals up the two components separate out, and you’re left with crystals of pure CL-20 soaking in liquid TNT, a situation that will heighten your awareness of the fleeting nature of life.

E:

quote:

Moving on out, as you do in a systematic name, I see that this is a hexaaza variation, which makes the picture a bit fuzzier. That’s a lot of nitrogens substituted for carbons, and the first thought is that this must be some weirdo condensation product of ammonia, some aldehyde, and who knows what. You can get some pretty funny-looking structures that way, like hexamethylenetetramine (which I’ve actually used a couple of times). I don’t know where those nitrogens are, I think to myself, but I’ll bet that’s how they got there, because any other pattern would be a synthetic nightmare. So far, so good. But now comes the unexpected habanero.
Hexanitro? Say what? I’d call for all the chemists who’ve ever worked with a hexanitro compound to raise their hands, but that might be assuming too much about the limb-to-chemist ratio. Nitro groups, as even people who’ve never taken a chemistry class know, can lead to firey booms, and putting six of them on one molecule can only lead to such. And since there are six nitrogens and six nitro groups, the first assumption must be that these are all bonded to each other. I mean, come on, leaving the nitro groups attached to the carbons is for wimps.

For reference, our good friend nitromethane (CH3NO2) has just one humble nitro group per molecule.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 4, 2016

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
The phrase "heightened awareness of the fleeting nature of life" made its way into my vernacular a long time ago, and was especially useful when rewiring the horror story that was my flat.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I prefer Azidoazide Azide

quote:

Due to their behavior during the process of synthesis, it was obvious that the sensitivities (of these compounds) will be not less than extreme. . .
The sensitivity of C2N14 is beyond our capabilities of measurement. The smallest possible loadings in shock and friction tests led to explosive decomposition. . .

quote:

The compound exploded in solution, it exploded on any attempts to touch or move the solid, and (most interestingly) it exploded when they were trying to get an infrared spectrum of it. The papers mention several detonations inside the Raman spectrometer as soon as the laser source was turned on, which must have helped the time pass more quickly. This shows a really commendable level of persistence, when you think about it – I don’t know about you, but one exploding spectrometer is generally enough to make recognize a motion to adjourn for the day. But these folks are a different breed. They ended up having to use a much weaker light source, and consequently got a rather ugly Raman spectrum even after a lot of scanning, but if you think you can get better data, then step right up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
C2N14 sounds like 14 very ADHD children on a sugar high being chaperoned around by two very frazzled carbons.

I want absolutely nothing to do with that.

Who's up for making some hexaazahexanitroisowurtzitane for the next NEAI? :getin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DefaultPeanut posted:

Bummer. For some reason I thought the new R1 had a cassete gearbox so when I first read about it I thought it'd be a piece of piss. A guy at a local dealer told me they were panicking because they needed some special tool that Yamaha NZ had yet to even bring into the country despite already sending out the recall letters. This sounds plausible but if it's true, what is the tool for?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Isn't that the same guy who wrote about FOOF ?

that guy posted:

you run a mixture of oxygen and fluorine through a 700-degree-heating block. “Oh, no you don’t,” is the common reaction of most chemists to that proposal, “. . .not unless I’m at least a mile away, two miles if I’m downwind.”
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride
:lol:

Also, what the gently caress is going on at Honda?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BloodBag posted:

Superior Japanese engineering.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

BloodBag posted:

Isn't that the same guy who wrote about FOOF ?

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride
:lol:

The FOOF one is great. This is my favorite part.

After talking about how many people killed themselves isolating F at room temperature.

quote:

At seven hundred freaking degrees, fluorine starts to dissociate into monoatomic radicals, thereby losing its gentle and forgiving nature.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

sharkytm posted:

I prefer Azidoazide Azide

My go-to euphemism for compounds like CL-20 and C2N14 has been "violently allergic to existing in a non-exploded state".

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's a whole thread of this stuff in PYF, for anyone who's not sourcing their quotes from there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cakefool posted:

There's a whole thread of this stuff in PYF, for anyone who's not sourcing their quotes from there.
Things that go FOOF in the night: PYF dangerous chemicals/etc.

quote:

I’d call for all the chemists who’ve ever worked with a hexanitro compound to raise their hands, but that might be assuming too much about the limb-to-chemist ratio.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

DefaultPeanut posted:

The first-year R1s (98?) also had explody gearboxes didn't they? I vaguely remember following one into the hairpin at Knockhill and observing the results.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
At least it fell along the street, and not into a building. And the street was empty, right? :cry:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One person killed, some injuries, half dozen cars crushed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-york-crane-idUSKCN0VE1LU?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

sharkytm posted:

At least it fell along the street, and not into a building. And the street was empty, right? :cry:

From some other shot it looks like it define scrapped down the side of a building with all the debris

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Video:
https://amp.twimg.com/v/bd243c26-bad2-491e-b294-b46d06462d9c

(Don't know how to embed it. Or turn down the volume. Lots of swearing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Uthor posted:

Video:
https://amp.twimg.com/v/bd243c26-bad2-491e-b294-b46d06462d9c

(Don't know how to embed it. Or turn down the volume. Lots of swearing.)

The swearing is all censored and that logo at the end made me loving laugh; like a NBC hired a crew of hardcore Brooklynites to narrate their videos.

"Holy cow! Holy ****! It ***** fell! Holy ******! Holy *****!"
- NBC News