Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Tirius posted:

I don't know much about this stuff but I am literally in Korea and my steam client lists the game as being available at North/South America's release time, and not Korea's.

However, if I view it through the browser it lists the game as being available at Asia/Australia's release time so I don't know what the gently caress

You probably have to change your download region under settings - downloads to Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

Is that because you have a slow connection, or some other reason? I'm on 120mb/s (terrible awful comcast) so I downloaded the pre-load in under an hour, wasn't really paying attention to the exact time.

Or is it because you couldn't log in for a day, or something?

I am usually happy if I download 1MB/s. Norway is sadly not as good at internet as Sweden is and as luck would have it I am exactly two blocks away from a fiber enabled household. Maybe someday I can get that, but for now I have to settle with a max 20mb/s connection at a price for competitive 5mb/s. Yeah, it's that hosed.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Tirius posted:

I don't know much about this stuff but I am literally in Korea and my steam client lists the game as being available at North/South America's release time, and not Korea's.

However, if I view it through the browser it lists the game as being available at Asia/Australia's release time so I don't know what the gently caress

From what I understand, if the website has the correct time you're golden. It will continue to say the US download time on the steam application, but will unlock via the time stated on the website.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Finally got home and walked through activating my GMG keys. It was weird, it indicated that the first key in my email was no good, so I used the second key, and it told me I was activating the DLC. It then started the preload; then I went back and tried the first key again. It told me it was also activating the DLC.

I had exactly the same experience with my GMG keys, so it's not only you. Fingers crossed that the game unlocks correctly.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Charles Get-Out posted:

From what I understand, if the website has the correct time you're golden. It will continue to say the US download time on the steam application, but will unlock via the time stated on the website.

Correct. The in-app release date has no relevancy when you're using VPN. The website should have the correct time if you're using VPN, but it still isn't required.

Connect to VPN at correct time, open steam, unlock game, set to offline mode, disconnect VPN. That's it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

For all the people with GMG issues, you will have two keys in the email

1. This one is the preorder and should be done -second-
2. THIS one is the actual game and need to be put in first.

There are a lot of people having issues with it, oddly

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Will there be any day 1 character pools? I assumed maybe Beagle would have something up but maybe not?

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Miftan posted:

Will there be any day 1 character pools? I assumed maybe Beagle would have something up but maybe not?

There is one for all the devs but I don't know about any others.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We'll just have to get a goon character pool together, a guy mentioned he wanted to put one together a couple of pages back, so i'll be sending him one for my guy at some point.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The game supports multiple chins and stubble, perfect for a goongame

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

With Aussie VPN, we should be able to unlock the game in a little more than 5 hours, right?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Jack Trades posted:

With Aussie VPN, we should be able to unlock the game in a little more than 5 hours, right?

5 hours, three minutes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

For all the people with GMG issues, you will have two keys in the email

1. This one is the preorder and should be done -second-
2. THIS one is the actual game and need to be put in first.

There are a lot of people having issues with it, oddly

It's the first piece of critical thinking necessary to qualify to play XCOM2.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dan Didio posted:

5 hours, three minutes.

Now just five.

Also I read your name as Dan Dildo

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I don't see XCOM2 in my games library in the Steam Android app or on the web, but I do see it in my list of games on the thick client of my laptop (I'm traveling at the moment). That means I can't push the pre-load on my home computer :(

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

dogstile posted:

We'll just have to get a goon character pool together, a guy mentioned he wanted to put one together a couple of pages back, so i'll be sending him one for my guy at some point.

Sounds like a second game option 'cause it'll take a while. Guess I'll just have to send my friends and family to their deaths in my first run through!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So what's the difficulty looking like? Played EU the first time on normal and it was pretty easy, played EW on Classic when it came out and there was a bit of an adjustment period but then it felt just about right (I did get bored and not finish it though, around the time it starts feeling like a victory lap), is 2 looking like a similar situation? I think I want my first time through the game to be around that level so if it's similar then I'll start on classic or equivalent.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Legendary / Iron Man first game for anyone else?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Just Commander difficulty for me, thanks.

Ironman is mandatory though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Gotta get that cannon ending for XCOM3

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Miftan posted:

Sounds like a second game option 'cause it'll take a while. Guess I'll just have to send my friends and family to their deaths in my first run through!

Of course, you'll probably want to wait until a bit into your game before your create your own gooncharacter, so you can show that you're better than all those other goons by dressing up in the real tacticool smooth-operator high-rank-only stuff.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jabor posted:

Of course, you'll probably want to wait until a bit into your game before your create your own gooncharacter, so you can show that you're better than all those other goons by dressing up in the real tacticool smooth-operator high-rank-only stuff.

I didn't realise you had to wait until Colonel to unlock the neckbeard.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

So what's the difficulty looking like? Played EU the first time on normal and it was pretty easy, played EW on Classic when it came out and there was a bit of an adjustment period but then it felt just about right (I did get bored and not finish it though, around the time it starts feeling like a victory lap), is 2 looking like a similar situation? I think I want my first time through the game to be around that level so if it's similar then I'll start on classic or equivalent.

Anecdotal but I read a normally Classic reviewer got his rear end completely handed to him and had to drop down a level, so it might be a matter of different mechanics or its just harder

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah, I'll probably give it a go.

Then get frustrated after my third failed attempt and drop down one notch.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
lads and ladies, check your cdkeys.com order, I just got my keys!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've played 100(vanilla)+400(LW) hours of this drat game and I still think I'll stick to Veteran for my first time around.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Came into work at the crack of dawn so I can get home for release, the hype is real

I will definately be interested to see how we end up countering the new enemy types that seem so deadly, I guess the new item drop and such mechanics will help with that

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Mr.PayDay posted:

Not yet for me

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Antti posted:

I've played 100(vanilla)+400(LW) hours of this drat game and I still think I'll stick to Veteran for my first time around.

No way man. Commander Ironman all the way. It's not fun if you're not getting your poo poo kicked in all the time!

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So it the Australian unlock in 3:15? Timezones are hard :(

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

So it the Australian unlock in 3:15? Timezones are hard :(

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20160205T0501&p0=240&msg=XCOM+2+Unlock+Oceania%2FS.E.+Asia&font=sanserif

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Miftan posted:

No way man. Commander Ironman all the way. It's not fun if you're not getting your poo poo kicked in all the time!

You know, I think you've persuaded me - how can you get the true XCOM experience by actually having a reasonable time? Seriousposting.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Anecdotal but I read a normally Classic reviewer got his rear end completely handed to him and had to drop down a level, so it might be a matter of different mechanics or its just harder

Games reviewers seem to be generally poo poo at games though. I have friday and the weekend off so I can pretty much play the entire time but getting wrecked 10 hours in and having to restart would be a bummer, hmmm will have to decide based on my performance after the first 8 missions or so I guess.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Miftan posted:

Actually I, too, prefer it if I'm only getting my poo poo kicked in some of the time.
Gonna start on Veteran, if it becomes too easy I can just restart on Commander. :shrug:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Antti posted:

You know, I think you've persuaded me - how can you get the true XCOM experience by actually having a reasonable time? Seriousposting.

That's the spirit! If you're acing every mission I guess you can pretend to be Beagle, but the best parts are losing your colonel and then seeing if you can pull it back! :xcom:

Nordick posted:

Actually I, too, prefer it if I'm only getting my poo poo kicked in some of the time.
Gonna start on Veteran, if it becomes too easy I can just restart on Commander. :shrug:

Some of the time is probably the best bet, I just don't think it'll happen enough on veteran. Especially if the difficulty curve is the same as EU/EW.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
GMG Chat:

I got 4 keys from GMG. Put in the 2nd one from my 1st email and it activated. The other 3 don't work anymore. I hope everything is fine.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

Thanks! Got mine even though they didn't email me yet

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Miftan posted:

That's the spirit! If you're acing every mission I guess you can pretend to be Beagle, but the best parts are losing your colonel and then seeing if you can pull it back! :xcom:

Some of the time is probably the best bet, I just don't think it'll happen enough on veteran. Especially if the difficulty curve is the same as EU/EW.
I was gonna ask, if you're playing right and getting your rear end kicked all the time, how would you even get any colonels? :v: But then I saw your edit.

It's certainly possible that Veteran will be a bit too easy, but I'm gonna err on the side of caution here because I'm a baby who still thinks too easy is better than too hard.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 4, 2016

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So is the pre load the whole game compressed or will we still have to download ~20 gigs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

GMG Chat:

I got 4 keys from GMG. Put in the 2nd one from my 1st email and it activated. The other 3 don't work anymore. I hope everything is fine.

Four keys in the same email? That is...weird. even the deluxe edition has only 2