Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Prince John posted:

If he can bear to hold out for another 4 years inside the embassy, the statute of limitations will expire. The whole situation is farcical.

Expire for the Swedish rape charges. He'll still be in trouble with the UK for skipping bail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What does the victim think of all this, at this point?

It feels like she's been thrown under the bus by the motives of the people trying this charge.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Re OP: what the poo poo, Fluo died? :(

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Tesseraction posted:

What does the victim think of all this, at this point?

It feels like she's been thrown under the bus by the motives of the people trying this charge.

There are two alleged victims, not just one, and the severity of the alleged offences seem to vary quite widely.

Here is a fairly detailed timeline of what's said to have occurred.

This article talks a bit more about specifics, in relation to Swedish rape laws:

quote:

In court, the nature of those allegations was finally made clear. The Crown Prosecution Service presented the four Swedish Prosecution Service accusations: two were of a specific Swedish crime called ''ofredande'', or misconduct (misleadingly translated as molestation), one being that the defendant ''pushed his erect penis against the complainant's back, thus violating her sexual integrity'', the other for unsafe sex ''against the complainant's explicitly stated wish''. There is one charge of sexual assault, which alleges that Assange had sex with Wilen while she was asleep, and the most serious charge is that he held Ardin down with his body weight, forced her legs open, and had sex with her.

The last accusation would qualify as a reasonable rape charge anywhere, the ''morning glory'' almost nowhere; the other two depend on the detailed nature of the accusation, none of which has seen the light of day - the unsafe sex charge for example, does not allege non-consent, simply an earlier expression of opposition to the practice. Even with later consent, this can still count as a crime in Sweden.

Aside from the wider political interests that may, or may not, be in play, this Guardian article cites evidence given at the Old Bailey that suggests the victims were trying to extract money from Assange.

quote:

Julian Assange's Swedish lawyer was shown scores of text messages sent by the two women who accuse him of rape and sexual assault, in which they speak of "revenge" and extracting money from him, an extradition hearing was told.

Björn Hurtig, who represents the WikiLeaks founder in Sweden, told Belmarsh magistrates court that he had been shown "about 100" messages sent between the women and their friends while supervised by a Swedish police officer, but had not been permitted to make notes or share the contents with his client.

"I consider this to be contrary to the rules of a fair trial," he said. A number of the messages "go against what the claimants have said", he told the court.

It looks like he's probably guilty of something, although exactly what is difficult to say without some independent source of information, given that he denies everything.

I take it that this was done to death in the thread at the time of the offences?

Prince John fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 4, 2016

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Age UK have recieved almost £6.3 million in kickbacks from E.On after promoting a more expensive tariff to pensioners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35488204

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Age UK have recieved almost £6.3 million in kickbacks from E.On after promoting a more expensive tariff to pensioners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35488204

It will be interesting to see what the regulator says. They're claiming that it was the cheapest fixed tariff when it launched a year ago (and tariffs have fallen since, with the oil price), and also that the Sun is not comparing like with like (2 year fixed vs 1 year).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Prince John posted:

I take it that this was done to death in the thread at the time of the offences?

Not in this thread, but elsewhere.

I was specifically thinking about the unsafe-sex victim when asking what she thought, and I meant 'of the current situation' as opposed to 'what was she thinking???' RE: the charges.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Joey from Friends is going to co-present Top Gear with Chris Evans. The Beeb are expected to announce Sabine Schmitz and Chris Harris well also present the show.

I would actually watch this.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
UN ruled in favor of Assange.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35490910

Cameron says he doesn't give a gently caress and is still going to try arrest him anyway. Not a direct quote that.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Coohoolin posted:

Have you been to Peterhof? It's hilarious, every single structure is basically "hmm can we add more gold foil and turquoise? yes let's add more gold foil and turquoise".

I mean sure the Hermitage is great but I'd rather see the Egyptian exhibit at the British Museum. Maybe I'm just not an "art" person. Also once you see bodies floating down the Fontanka you get kinda soured on the whole thing.

I loved Peterhof but then I've always had a soft spot for garish over the top architecture and I am quite an art guy, when I go on holiday I tend to spend a lot of time in galleries and I did 3 days in the Hermitage, so I loved it. I just dont think you can say you wont find deep culture there because you don't like the style of architecture or aren't big on art, its not a taste issue, you can dislike the city but saying there's no deep culture just strikes me as incorrect.

Guavanaut posted:

Is it? I thought the current law on cakes and discrimination was that you couldn't deny someone a cake based on a protected class. Like if you do wedding cakes with fancy icing swirls, you can't deny me one because I'm marrying a person of the same sex, or because I'm marrying a woman of a different race, or because I'm getting married in a mosque.
If I want you to put a slogan that you find offensive on a cake, which you would deny as a service for someone no matter what their gender or race or sexuality, then afaik that isn't covered by anti-discrimination law.
Although the EU claimed that they discriminated against him based on his 'political beliefs', not his sexuality, so if so I'm going to find some Northern Irish bakers to inquire about green white and orange cakes with a picture of Gerry Adams and rubber ducks shooting flames out of their beaks on either side. (I'm a big supporter of bathtime.)

I was speaking from a personal view there not the legal, I view it to be discriminatory. Political views are a tricky one, something like LGBT rights are a political issue yet I feel should be illegal to discriminate against, but other less so and with something like that the law needs to be absolute, so I don't really know.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 4, 2016

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

StoneOfShame posted:

I loved Peterhof but then I've always had a soft spot for garish over the top architecture and I am quite an art guy, when I go on holiday I tend to spend a lot of time in galleries and I did 3 days in the Hermitage, so I loved it. I just dont think you can say you wont find deep culture there because you don't like the style of architecture or aren't big on art, its not a taste issue, you can dislike the city but saying there's no deep culture just strikes me as incorrect.

Of course you're right, I was being hyperbolic, I just don't find visual art and architecture all that interesting and the music scene in SPB was a bit poo poo. Did manage to see Anti Flag at the Kosmonavt though, that was pretty cool.

I didn't dislike the city though! I had a great time, very chilled bohemian three months, I just thought the whole art aspect was overrated. I went to hear Rimsky Korsakov's Vespers in St Isaacs, was well looking forward to it until I realised I'd signed up for an hour and a half of choral music.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Also once you see bodies floating down the Fontanka you get kinda soured on the whole thing.

I'm not seeing the controversy here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

I didn't dislike the city though! I had a great time, very chilled bohemian three months, I just thought the whole art aspect was overrated. I went to hear Rimsky Korsakov's Vespers in St Isaacs, was well looking forward to it until I realised I'd signed up for an hour and a half of choral music.

:negative:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

C-C-C-CULTURE??? :barf:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fans posted:

Cameron says he doesn't give a gently caress and is still going to try arrest him anyway. Not a direct quote that.

Even a broken pig-loving clock is right twice a day.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Joey from Friends is going to co-present Top Gear with Chris Evans. The Beeb are expected to announce Sabine Schmitz and Chris Harris well also present the show.

I would actually watch this.
Agreed, that's a pretty good line up.

I'll be disappointed if Matt Le Blanc isn't exactly like his character in Episodes though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Fans posted:

Did he? The PM doesn't run the police and should know better than to say anything that creates the impression it's a political case rather than criminal.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cerv posted:

Did he? The PM doesn't run the police and should know better than to say anything that creates the impression it's a political case rather than criminal.

Well his Spokesperson did, pointing out the UN decision is not legally binding. He commented because the police can't tell the UN to gently caress off.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Funny how Cameron's all for locking up a rapist when they weren't targeting children.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Funny how Cameron's all for locking up a rapist when they weren't targeting children.

lol

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

The right wing eurosceptics just basically repeat "Immigrants! Benefits! Muslims!" over and over again until they become synonymous with bad, but left wing eurosceptics seem to go mostly with the EU undermining collective bargaining and being generally bad for benefits for all its members (except those members that are big businesses or banks, they get lots of benefits).

The kippers had a party political broadcast yesterday which was basically just 'Turkey... Muslims...' for 5 minutes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like Turkey and think it is halal so perhaps Muslims do too. Perhaps UKIP is the party for us all?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's this and it is so racist I actually laughed with shock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yno5lHA-LY8

I do like the M. Night S. twist midway through: WHICH IS WHY I NEVER WENT THERE AND USED A GREEN SCREEN. So Brave :britain:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I like Turkey and think it is halal so perhaps Muslims do too. Perhaps UKIP is the party for us all?
Turkey is only halal if it is killed via halal butchery.

Which for poultry is the removal of the head with a sharp blade in one stroke, which is exactly the same way that factories in the UK kill poultry. But they say a foreign prayer afterwards which turns your kids muslamic.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Prince John posted:

It looks like he's probably guilty of something, although exactly what is difficult to say without some independent source of information, given that he denies everything.

Yeah, it was gone over reasonably intensively because he's a loving rapist. He doesn't deny everything, he simply denies that sex without consent is rape and admitted to having non-consensual sex. He's a rapist, who tried to rely on a combination of victim blaming, throwing up as much confusion over what constitutes consent, and a whole bunch of conspiracy nutters who think it's just "the establishment" out to get him. It didn't work, which is why he has been hiding in an embassy since.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He's not a rapist, he's not been convicted of anything yet.

Also I think it's fair to say that the US are quite keen to get their hands on him.

Anyway, Matt Le Blanc has actually been on top gear before and is a massive petrol head.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He's not a convicted rapist, sure. But he's almost definitely a rapist and I don't have a reasonable doubt of his being guilty of at least one of the charges, poi-san-allie

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tesseraction posted:

It's this and it is so racist I actually laughed with shock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yno5lHA-LY8

I do like the M. Night S. twist midway through: WHICH IS WHY I NEVER WENT THERE AND USED A GREEN SCREEN. So Brave :britain:

Them muslamic rayguns have a long range, you have to be careful

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

He's not a convicted rapist, sure. But he's almost definitely a rapist and I don't have a reasonable doubt of his being guilty of at least one of the charges, poi-san-allie

It's been going on that long I've forgot most of the case. What's the compelling evidence he did actually rape someone?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's been going on that long I've forgot most of the case. What's the compelling evidence he did actually rape someone?

The victims reported behaviour that meets the definition of rape. Julian Assange has agreed that what they said happened, happened but he disagrees that it counts as rape.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Turkey is only halal if it is killed via halal butchery.

Which for poultry is the removal of the head with a sharp blade in one stroke, which is exactly the same way that factories in the UK kill poultry. But they say a foreign prayer afterwards which turns your kids muslamic.

Interestingly, 75% of British turkeys and 25% of British chickens are now killed by Controlled Atmosphere Systems which sounds vastly more humane and reliable than decapitation or all of the dodgy aspects in practice of electrical stunning.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Helen Highwater posted:

The victims reported behaviour that meets the definition of rape. Julian Assange has agreed that what they said happened, happened but he disagrees that it counts as rape.

it comes down to not using a condom.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

Oh. Oh dear.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Testimony of the victims, for me. I mean no, I don't have video evidence of him going "and now I, Julian Assange, will rape you, mwaahahahahaha" on camera and then doing so, but the timing of the victims reports and lack of previous acquaintance between them is compelling enough for me.

I mean, I tend to assume the alleged rape victim isn't lying for shits and giggles, so I admit I'm biased.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Helen Highwater posted:

Assange is as I recall asserting that he did what they said but they consented, and that they are playing the "retroactive withdrawal of consent" card permitted by Swedish law.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

Testimony of the victims, for me. I mean no, I don't have video evidence of him going "and now I, Julian Assange, will rape you, mwaahahahahaha" on camera and then doing so, but the timing of the victims reports and lack of previous acquaintance between them is compelling enough for me.

I mean, I tend to assume the alleged rape victim isn't lying for shits and giggles, so I admit I'm biased.

Jullian Assange is one of the most wanted people in the world by the USA who have treated Chelsea Manning appallingly, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there are elements to this case which go a little beyond the usual 'he said she said she said'.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jedit posted:

Assange is as I recall asserting that he did what they said but they consented, and that they are playing the "retroactive withdrawal of consent" card permitted by Swedish law.

if I remember correctly it was retroactive withdrawal of consent with regards him not using a condom. all of the sex was consensual.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Jedit posted:

You can do that in Sweden? jesus.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Jullian Assange is one of the most wanted people in the world by the USA who have treated Chelsea Manning appallingly, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there are elements to this case which go a little beyond the usual 'he said she said she said'.

Yes, I'm sure the Swedish leftists were actually American CIA plants who used their hoover vaginas to suck in his penis to cry rape so that America could chuck him in Gitmo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Zero Gravitas posted:

Re OP: what the poo poo, Fluo died? :(
Wait, I missed this too. What happened?

• Locked thread