Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Kilo147 posted:

Is this completely worthless? It's the best approximation of my old Battletech loadout, I'd buy a single Cauldy just to do this.

Starlancer

not nearly enough ammo for the twin UAC10's. You need probably around 5 tons (i think that is what i run in the IIc hunchie). The LRMs also dont have enough ammo, i would ditch them alltogether and just use UAC10's and lasers. may be wise to get the left/right torso omipods with the laser hardpoints and move some of your loadout off your arms and into the torso.

you may even consider running an asymmetrical build with your uac's on une side, and your lasers on the other, snd try and torso twist into fire with your laser side

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

So I played polar for the first time today, and... I don't hate it? It might have something to do with that match being one of the few games I play well though.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Reverence posted:

So I played polar for the first time today, and... I don't hate it? It might have something to do with that match being one of the few games I play well though.

What setup did you take?
Polar can be good if you happen to be in the right mech with the right guns, if you roll polar with a 270m atlas you might as well go afk.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

What setup did you take?
Polar can be good if you happen to be in the right mech with the right guns, if you roll polar with a 270m atlas you might as well go afk.

What? I've rolled highlands with a Dad and did just fine. Sure I had to break from my group and wander a little, but nothing beats the panic you see when you wander out behind an enemy team from one of those dips in the terrain.

it also helped that my team wasn't pants on head retarded and a heavy and two mediums accompanied me under my ECM umbrella

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stringbean posted:

What? I've rolled highlands with a Dad and did just fine. Sure I had to break from my group and wander a little, but nothing beats the panic you see when you wander out behind an enemy team from one of those dips in the terrain.

it also helped that my team wasn't pants on head retarded and a heavy and two mediums accompanied me under my ECM umbrella

Sure you get that from time to time, but usually the entire team poke-snipes for the entire match while you can either
a) sit there and have a wank
or
b) lead a non-existing charge

or get hosed up by cats in pants annoying lights because your team is too tunnelvisioned to help.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Bolow posted:

Yeah man all those clan ERLL, you know the really good ones that burn for 1.5 seconds and suck complete loving rear end

Clan ERLL do as much damage in the IS ERLL burn time length as IS ERLLs and then more damage on top of that. They're also one slot in size.

In general, ERLLs aren't difficult if you know maps and working with others to get into a better fighting range but them being common is just really dull. People just hiding as far back as they can doing next to no damage 1500 meters. The quirk change just limiting all IS energy range to 10% is a really stupid idea, though. It will hurt all the other IS energy builds and probably not even fix the ERLL garbage.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Some people have called this game "World of Tanks but with mechs". How do you goons think they compare?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kurzon posted:

Some people have called this game "World of Tanks but with mechs". How do you goons think they compare?

Id rather say Warthunder with mechs, as you arent strictly depleting hitpoints until they reach zero.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Well, you are there's just 8 lifebars now.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Well, you are there's just 8 lifebars now.

But depleting some of them over other has meaningful impact opposed to a *fully functional / dead* switch system.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Kurzon posted:

I guess the matches are similar... Team based combat type stuff and the mechs control like tanks. That's about it. You're not starting in a light mech and working down a "tank" line to get an assault. A light mech can tear an assault to pieces (unlike being in a light tank trying to take on a heavy tank where you bounce shots off thick armor). You buy any mech you want, upgrade it, stomp robots.

They're both fun games with stupid dev teams.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Stringbean posted:

I guess the matches are similar... Team based combat type stuff and the mechs control like tanks. That's about it. You're not starting in a light mech and working down a "tank" line to get an assault. A light mech can tear an assault to pieces (unlike being in a light tank trying to take on a heavy tank where you bounce shots off thick armor). You buy any mech you want, upgrade it, stomp robots.

They're both fun games with stupid dev teams.

I played WoT semi-competitively for a while years ago and MWO, right now, is more fun for me than WoT was then. I'm not playing remotely at the same level in MWO so I'm not really looking for the same things out of it, but just in terms of the basic gameplay it feels more exciting and fun most of the time. More arcade, less sim in most ways, though the destruction model in MWO is arguably more complex and interesting than WoT's HP-with-systems-damage approach.

But yes, both are games with lots of potential that gets hosed up by the developers. WoT (usually) had less struggles with mechanical and technical issues but the business model was even more brutal, with unapologetic pay-for-power elements like consumable premium ammo that was straight-up much better than the regular stuff. The grind was also nutty. MWO on the other hand has a long history of technical problems and bad design/balancing decisions, but for all that their prices are kind of bananas it's a lot less hostile to new players and people who can't spend much/anything on the game.

It's clear that MWO directly copied a number of elements of WoT's overall structure, like the way you buy garage bays for real money and the XP -> GXP system, but all the knobs that control how lovely it is to play without paying a ton of money have been dialed down considerably. You also never get forced to use a super-lovely vehicle for long periods of time. This isn't a knock against light tanks specifically in WoT - although they were harder for non-expert players to use than light mechs - but rather that the tech tree outright required you to play objectively bad tanks at times (and then it started you gimped as hell on every new vehicle until you unlocked upgrades).

Again, it's been like 3+ years since I played WoT, so stuff could have changed. Based on my old experience though I would recommend MWO over WoT to anyone who's not obsessed with tanks.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
So I wanted to use my muromets again but i dont like AC5s so I put together this, not tried it yet but seems okay, maybe its crazy hot? At least this way i dont have to be staring at people with a mech made out of tissue paper (at least thats how it feels)

ILYA MUROMETS

just left the armour as default becuase im lazy.

by.a.teammate fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 4, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sacrilege.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I haven't touched the game in just over six months and have decided to give it another shot now that it's on Steam and I have a better computer. Some of the new mechs that have been added since I played (Everything after Clan Wave III) look pretty cool, are any of them worth having?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

by.a.teammate posted:

So I wanted to use my muromets again but i dont like AC5s so I put together this, not tried it yet but seems okay, maybe its crazy hot? At least this way i dont have to be staring at people with a mech made out of tissue paper (at least thats how it feels)

ILYA MUROMETS

just left the armour as default becuase im lazy.

Incorrect: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=54&l=b4033e14f598e76416ebd0e985fffb0fef45e8a1
(command console and BAP because I have no idea what to do with the additional tonnage)

That is the somewhat like the Mint Frog Special, called as such because Mint Frog basically exclusively played that mech for a year. Go fast, shoot dudes, run away in your heavy that goes as fast as a medium (well, as fast as a IS medium).

Do not buy an XL340 to make this robot work unless you are stupid like me, or really like cicadas for some reason.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

nope

edit: you're going to hate that right arm

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 4, 2016

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Coolwhoami posted:

Incorrect: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=54&l=b4033e14f598e76416ebd0e985fffb0fef45e8a1
(command console and BAP because I have no idea what to do with the additional tonnage)

That is the somewhat like the Mint Frog Special, called as such because Mint Frog basically exclusively played that mech for a year. Go fast, shoot dudes, run away in your heavy that goes as fast as a medium (well, as fast as a IS medium).

Do not buy an XL340 to make this robot work unless you are stupid like me, or really like cicadas for some reason.

okay nice, feared the XL since thought it made me even weaker but i guess can't go zombie in it anyway, thanks!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Everything you do with ERPPCS is literally better with LPLs.

Agree entirely, erppcs are in a really bad spot. That being said, we wanted to play twin shadowcats and shoot at LRMboats from hilltops while we bullshit about work, and they worked well enough for that. We even had some decent damage in a few matches somehow, I blame it on pubbies who just stand still without a care in the world.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Would you like to convert two thousand MC for a bonus 1 million cbills??

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

Agree entirely, erppcs are in a really bad spot. That being said, we wanted to play twin shadowcats and shoot at LRMboats from hilltops while we bullshit about work, and they worked well enough for that. We even had some decent damage in a few matches somehow, I blame it on pubbies who just stand still without a care in the world.

I know it's because tabletop rules, but I wonder if a way to balance them without making ppcs poo poo would be to have a minimum range like PPCs that either cuts off immediately, or falls off as you get closer like lasers do at range. It would make them more a choice of engagement range rather than "if they aren't inefficient on heat they are the best because they work at all ranges"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kilo147 posted:

Is this completely worthless? It's the best approximation of my old Battletech loadout, I'd buy a single Cauldy just to do this.

Starlancer

In addition to what was already said about ammo and possibly putting in a dead arm as a shield, this game REALLY rewards going all in on a single weapon system, or at least weapons that all have roughly the same range. The big problem as far as your weapons go are the LRM5s. They have a completely different profile of where you want to be using them compared to the lasers and autocannons. You're better spending your time getting into a position where you can use the autocannons and the lasers to their best effect.

Basically, that's what's known as a bracket build. In TT they could make sense but in MWO you want to have a single engagement distance and get good at managing position to stay in your optimal range.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Hey it's a double XP weekend! If you spend MC on converting XP to GXP, you get free* bonuses!

If you spend nearly 100 dollars in MC shuffling XP around, you get a free* mech bay!

WHAT A DEAL

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money
ER Large Lasers are very bad weapons, and it's extremely funny to see that PGI somehow thinks they are the new balance boogeyman.

ERLLs are only good if the other team is equally stupid and willing to play the 1000 meter trading game, or if you are aimbotting and you can keep your lasers on a center torso through a full 1.25 seconds of twisting.

I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of players don't aimbot, making ERLLs hot loving garbage against anyone with a pulse.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Hey it's a double XP weekend! If you spend MC on converting XP to GXP, you get free* bonuses!

If you spend nearly 100 dollars in MC shuffling XP around, you get a free* mech bay!

WHAT A DEAL

Something something XCOM 2.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

A.o.D. posted:

WHAT A DEAL

THE VALUE

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Pattonesque posted:

4 ERLL on a Timber Wolf or Hellbringer in CW results in an awful lot of 2500-damage games where you don't lose a 'mech

Against bad players and idiots, sure. Post your best CW scoreboards, and then I'll post mine. Better yet, I'll post the vods of guys who bring nothing but ERLL whining about being curbstomped because I just walked up and shot them in the loving face, lol

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Buff Butler posted:

Against bad players and idiots, sure. Post your best CW scoreboards, and then I'll post mine.

Please save all score posting until after XCOM2 drops, that way I can be safely away from this thread when epeen is happening.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

So, how awful is this?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Infidelicious posted:

So, how awful is this?

Its a PPC build.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Is it a good or bad ppc build?

I mean I do ok with it, but it runs really hot but I'm not sure if it's me or if I should drop a SPL or something.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

Thank you but what is UAC? Every discussion of builds or playstyle is byzantine as heck with all these acronyms.
I did this because I thought gauss was lightning bolts. Someone on some forum said they liked it and I said "ok". Everyone else on every other forum said crabs are bad but I didn't listen.

I'm going to nitpick this build, because the way MWO plays you should always try to synchronize the range and recycle rate of any weapons you carry.

This build does that. The ERLL and Gauss have similar ranges, and synchronize such that you can start your ER burn and gauss charge at the same time, and as long as you are still on target with the ERLL when the gauss is charged, you will hit. If you lose contact, simply hold the gauss until it depletes and try again.

Because of your torso twist rate, the PLs would never have helped you with anything harassing you, and the LPL's range mismatch with the gauss make it unusable a lot of the time.

Overall, ranged damage has been greatly increased, and it only cost a ton of gauss ammo. I doubt you ever found yourself running out, and even if you do, the standoff ERLL's will serve you better in that case.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Infidelicious posted:

So, how awful is this?

That looks great and you should definitely use it in Community Warfare. I hear Kurita pilots really struggle with the combination of ER PPCs and Small Pulse Lasers, so you should drop on them for maximum ownage.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Infidelicious posted:

Is it a good or bad ppc build?

I mean I do ok with it, but it runs really hot but I'm not sure if it's me or if I should drop a SPL or something.

Clan PPC builds are inherently bad. They run too hot, are too difficult to use well, and have cripplingly low DPS. Don't be me and pilot a War hawk Prime with 4x ERPPCs. It's not something you do to be effective. It's something you do because you like seeing erppcs smack into things.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

A.o.D. posted:

WHAT A DEAL

Oh, it's finally time to convert my 100000xp from my Raven into something worthwhile! Oh wait, this still isn't worthwhile.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Clan PPC builds are inherently bad. They run too hot, are too difficult to use well, and have cripplingly low DPS. Don't be me and pilot a War hawk Prime with 4x ERPPCs. It's not something you do to be effective. It's something you do because you like seeing erppcs smack into things.

So swap to LPL or ERLL?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Then I wouldn't see ERPPCs smack into things. This isn't that hard.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Buff Butler posted:

Against bad players and idiots, sure. Post your best CW scoreboards, and then I'll post mine. Better yet, I'll post the vods of guys who bring nothing but ERLL whining about being curbstomped because I just walked up and shot them in the loving face, lol

I'll post my 47 damage with ppcs scoresheet

Jk don't do this poo poo

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

A.o.D. posted:

Then I wouldn't see ERPPCs smack into things. This isn't that hard.

Roll in a 3xPPC Thunderbolt, like it's CW launch again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So I bought the Marauder pack cause I'm bad with money. Does it just not work until you get it fully basic'd/elited or am I just really out of practice with AC5s?

• Locked thread