Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The gimmick, it spans threads

"Those without stomach for this place must move on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's XCOM but instead of being a slick military op, you are a literal group of terrorists freedom fighters.

I don't want to drop $75 on a game right now, so I'm not gonna. I bought the $60 version and am not worrying about the $5 extra I might spend in 4 months.

edit: hell, if I don't end up liking the cosmetic DLC pack coming in summer it might end up saving me cash.

Tell yourself you aren't going to buy it until you beat Xcom 1 on Ironman impossible and you will be able to get it for $5 when you are done

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Nordick posted:

Everyone is free to define their own personal ~true xcom experience~. gently caress this ironman elitism.

Losing is literally half the fun of Xcom. What do you reset after a vampire eats half your babies in Dwarven Fortress?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

PBS Newshour posted:

Is XCOM apocalypse worth playing? The faction system works interesting even if its barely there and I do like that gif.

The art design is no bueno, but a lot of aspects of the game are really fun.

You can raid arms dealers and steal weapons, for instance. Or gang members and steal weapons/drugs.

Everything is destructible which is no surprise, but Gravity is very much in effect so you can shoot out the stilts a slum tenement is sitting on and watch the whole thing collapse in front of you, and the game keeps track of the financial damage your wanton destruction caused to the owning faction. If their finances go too far into the red, they can't afford to retaliate.

The maps are big and have a lot of z levels though, which might sound appealing, but gets tedious in turn based mode. The real time with pause works pretty well.

Edit: Oh, also, your bases aren't really underground, just in buildings, sometimes shoddily constructed slums, some aliens can level them and erase them and everyone in them easily if you're not careful. So be careful.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 4, 2016

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

StabMasterArson posted:

yeah honestly this is my only beef with xcom 2 right now. I don't want to buy the standard edition and feel like I've got a gimped package but also do not want to spend $75 on a pc game

How is it gimped? There is nothing in the deluxe edition. You can just buy the lovely cosmetic dlc when it's out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I gift you all with the call-sign "Rumbledore" for your best Psi-Operative.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Tell yourself you aren't going to buy it until you beat Xcom 1 on Ironman impossible and you will be able to get it for $5 when you are done

I actually had a run going on bronzeman cause gently caress random bugs, but I didn't get the temple ship done before today and I doubt I'll want to go back after playing XCOM 2.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Nordick posted:

Everyone is free to define their own personal ~true xcom experience~. gently caress this ironman elitism.

Gonna second this. Seriously, I do nothing but Ironman on principle and always the toughest difficulties, but whatever's most fun for you is always the golden rule. Some might consider savescumming and making everything perfect as fun, and more power to them if it's what they find enjoyable. Whereas I consider it to be more fun to end the original XCOM with the first Base Defense mission now, rather than its usual Temple Ship one, and using nothing but base weapons with upgrades. So that's what imma hold myself to, consider it my personal headcanon and say screw anyone who says otherwise to the sticking place.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm gonna hold myself to ironman rules without actually enabling it just in case there are game breaking bugs at launch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Actually taking a game about desperately riding the edge and barely scraping by and turning it into yet another boring power fantasy about saving the world kind of sucks.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yes, the fun video game experience of being a barely armed rebel group that gets murdered constantly and then losing anyway.

You know, the general experience everyone is going to be having the first week.

Serf
May 5, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm gonna hold myself to ironman rules without actually enabling it just in case there are game breaking bugs at launch.

This right here. I've never played Ironman, but on my first really good game of EU on Classic I ran into a bug that almost killed my game. The map just wouldn't load. Luckily I had a save from an hour back that I reverted to and the bug didn't happen again.

I never reload the game otherwise anyways. It wouldn't feel true to the spirit of XCOM. But I like the security of a backup save in case something breaks.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah, Ironman amplifies the severity of even small bugs by a huge amount. Not safe at launch! Please, stick to Honestman mode until the first patch. :thumbsup:

Am I the only one who always starts on the lower difficulties to get the extra starting xcombux before switching to Classic or Impossible for the rest of the game?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Have they said how the character pool works? Do you subscribe to something ingame or just download soldier files and slap them in a directory for it to read?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i get very upset if people do not enjoy a video game in the right way. they do not even spend the time and effort to become good at a single player video game with multiple difficulty settings!

beagle gets paid for being very good at xcom. you are probably not beagle, and you do not receive money or respect for being very good at xcom.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I dunno. I never had game-breaking ironman happen to me yet personally, whereas the annoying bugs I just take as they come as part of the OG game experience, no matter how ridiculous. I guess I'm either just lucky or I, too, like to live dangerously or whatevs.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Have they said how the character pool works? Do you subscribe to something ingame or just download soldier files and slap them in a directory for it to read?

It'll probably be both, though for sure you can grab the pool file and throw it into a folder.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Actually taking a game about desperately riding the edge and barely scraping by and turning it into yet another boring power fantasy about saving the world kind of sucks.

so don't do it then. people have fun in different way, who gives a poo poo

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

i get very upset if people do not enjoy a video game in the right way.

Same, but with Undertale.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
I think people should just try to figure out how to back-up your save file so you can play on ironman without worry. I'm sure its do-able.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I will be playing on Normal difficulty because it seems like a logical choice to start with. Namaste~

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Pwnstar posted:

I will be playing on Normal difficulty because it seems like a logical choice to start with. Namaste~

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I logged in with a VPN in NZ but it still says 13 hours to unlock. Will it unlock in an hour or did I waste money on a VPN?

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

cheesetriangles posted:

So I logged in with a VPN in NZ but it still says 13 hours to unlock. Will it unlock in an hour or did I waste money on a VPN?

I remember a guide saying that the time will be inaccurate.

Check on the steam store through your browser.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Did you also change your steam location?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

cheesetriangles posted:

I don't want to tell you how to enjoy your VPN experience, but there are tons of free VPNs you could have used. Either way, check the web store instead of the steam client for the unlock time

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3s0ztf/step_by_step_vpn_tutorial_how_to_unlock_fallout_4/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I am torn between normal and Classic; I did normal on the original because I didn't understand the mechanics and needed to learn. I want to do classic but at the same time I would rather not fail 20 hours into a game, not because of my tactical failings, but because I didn't know in advance that I needed to have stockpiled fifty snake tits to complete a project I needed to win

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Trilin posted:

I think people should just try to figure out how to back-up your save file so you can play on ironman without worry. I'm sure its do-able.

I can tell you how to do that right now, go to C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\my games\XCOM 2\XComGame\SaveData and just copy the poo poo in there somewhere else.

cheesetriangles posted:

See what it says here, since the Steam store page uses your listed region instead of where you're connecting from.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

reading the tips on pcgamer, I can tell I'm going to prefer the Advent clock stalls and counters to their progress infinitely more than the previous game's bullshit of "I quit, also I quit, and this country quits too."

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

I don't want to tell you how to enjoy your VPN experience, but there are tons of free VPNs you could have used. Either way, check the web store instead of the steam client for the unlock time

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3s0ztf/step_by_step_vpn_tutorial_how_to_unlock_fallout_4/

Well with the paid vpn I can watch bbc too.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am torn between normal and Classic; I did normal on the original because I didn't understand the mechanics and needed to learn. I want to do classic but at the same time I would rather not fail 20 hours into a game, not because of my tactical failings, but because I didn't know in advance that I needed to have stockpiled fifty snake tits to complete a project I needed to win

I think normal/ironman is reasonable even if you're experienced with EU/EW. Firm but forgiving for your learning run.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheesetriangles posted:

This is pretty much what I'm going to do, but with the exception that I will savescum if I make a horrible mistake and get my entire squad killed. As long as we succeed though and somebody survived, I'll accept casualties and keep rolling. Otherwise I obsess over a perfect run and play the same battle 20 times rather than progressing.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Lima posted:

Did you also change your steam location?
You don't need to do that. Do we know if keys are region-locked though? I wouldn't rely on out-of-region unlocking until it's confirmed to work.

e: Don't use free vpns you idiots, they're free for a reason.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

MinibarMatchman posted:

reading the tips on pcgamer, I can tell I'm going to prefer the Advent clock stalls and counters to their progress infinitely more than the previous game's bullshit of "I quit, also I quit, and this country quits too."

Yeah, I'm not gonna miss selling everything to rush sattellites.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You don't need to do that. Do we know if keys are region-locked though? I wouldn't rely on out-of-region unlocking until it's confirmed to work.

Sounds like the region locking this time is ROW, Brazil, Russia.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Or at least be smart about them. Browsing through reddit, there are a lot of idiots who are going to get their identities stolen tonight

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

MinibarMatchman posted:

That being said, there's probably going to be a mod released that punishes doom clock riding in the sense that ADVENT has caught onto your poo poo and they're backing up more of their research every time you try to pull that stunt. The reasonable part of me says it should be cut down by 2-3 days every time you ride it, meaning that it's probably cool to do it once or twice but if you abuse it you'll hit a game failure state eventually.

The evil part of me says cut it down by five days each time, with the fourth being a game over.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Or at least be smart about them. Browsing through reddit, there are a lot of idiots who are going to get their identities stolen tonight
I'm just gonna use the free trial of that F-Secure one they pointed to in that Fallout 4 post. Not like I'm gonna use it for anything else anytime soon. :shrug:

Zaphod42 posted:

This is pretty much what I'm going to do, but with the exception that I will savescum if I make a horrible mistake and get my entire squad killed. As long as we succeed though and somebody survived, I'll accept casualties and keep rolling. Otherwise I obsess over a perfect run and play the same battle 20 times rather than progressing.
I usually have a few favourites that I won't suffer to die, everyone else is a redshirt. Although occasionally I'll even let go of a "favourite" if they die in a suitably spectacular fashion or if I'm just not in the mood to try again. Conversely I will sometimes go "No gently caress YOU game, he isn't a redshirt this time". I don't really have any set-in-stone principles for this, I just go on a gut feeling depending on my mood.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 4, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Eh, not really. Even through the VPN what sensitive data are you transmitting in plaintext? Anything sensitive should be HTTPS these days, should be alright.

I mean use your best judgement sure, don't go to websites promising free candy that look suspicious. But there's plenty of free VPN services that aren't shady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If you are going to use a VPN please use one from a real company like f-secure or whatever.