Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Even if you just treat FF14 as a co-op JRPG and unsub once you finish the available story it's worth playing imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

The guy goes to a bar and orders milk, how much more of a goody two-shoes can a guy be.

Well, he was kind of a heretic, for one.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dr Pepper posted:

Even if you just treat FF14 as a co-op JRPG and unsub once you finish thd available story it's worth playing imo.

Excuse me but first you'll have to return to the waking sands to file in that opinion

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

voltcatfish posted:

Excuse me but first you'll have to return to the waking sands to file in that opinion

It's not as bad once you learn you can ferry there from Limsa.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mega64 posted:

It's not as bad once you learn you can ferry there from Limsa.

The trick that seperates the scrubs from the pros.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

triple sulk posted:

I loved FFT but I think I played enough of it as a kid that I can't even put any energy into WotL.

In some recent FF stuff, I picked up 13 a little while ago and the Xbox One controller doesn't really work with the PC version as it keeps bugging out (apparently known). Ultimately that's a nitpick but the game itself is really bad and I'm six chapters in and have no energy left to go through the drudgery of two character parties. Meanwhile I played FF7 on iOS with the max levels on just to revisit the story and it surprisingly holds up, although I forgot that the start of disc 3 is right at the end part of the game. At this point I don't even know what one I want to play because FF8 bores the poo poo out of me and I never finished it on the PS1 or PC, and ultimately I'm just waiting for 9 which is the best one. I'd play some of the other FF7 games like Crisis Core since I never touched any of them, but as far as I'm aware there's no easy way to play it that doesn't involve a PSP or Vita.

Lightning return

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I just want a remaster of FF12 so drat much. The recent talk here got me to listen to the soundtrack today and it just made me long for the days I was strolling about Ivalice with my good friend Balthier and his wife with the sexy accent.

Between the improvements on that Japanese-only revision and the really lovely audio quality, it feels like it deserves a proper remaster that would be definitive version of it.

FFXII's music is really underrated because I feel a lot of it is atmospheric. As you said, it just puts you in mind of traveling the beautiful world of Ivalice .To this day I still think XII was the most immersed I've ever been in an FF game. I just had fun exploring, listening to the music and looking at the scenery and wildlife.

Felt terrible when I killed the bunnies or sleeping chocobos.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

FFXII's music is really underrated because I feel a lot of it is atmospheric. As you said, it just puts you in mind of traveling the beautiful world of Ivalice .To this day I still think XII was the most immersed I've ever been in an FF game. I just had fun exploring, listening to the music and looking at the scenery and wildlife.

Felt terrible when I killed the bunnies or sleeping chocobos.

Yellow, best for riding; aught else, best be hiding.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is anyone else playing Explorers? It's fun so far but goons make everything "better".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

triple sulk posted:

I loved FFT but I think I played enough of it as a kid that I can't even put any energy into WotL.

In some recent FF stuff, I picked up 13 a little while ago and the Xbox One controller doesn't really work with the PC version as it keeps bugging out (apparently known). Ultimately that's a nitpick but the game itself is really bad and I'm six chapters in and have no energy left to go through the drudgery of two character parties. Meanwhile I played FF7 on iOS with the max levels on just to revisit the story and it surprisingly holds up, although I forgot that the start of disc 3 is right at the end part of the game. At this point I don't even know what one I want to play because FF8 bores the poo poo out of me and I never finished it on the PS1 or PC, and ultimately I'm just waiting for 9 which is the best one. I'd play some of the other FF7 games like Crisis Core since I never touched any of them, but as far as I'm aware there's no easy way to play it that doesn't involve a PSP or Vita.

That bug is great because instead of just using standard drivers, SE used their own so they don't work right. It's really neat too how it only affects pop-ups that aren't the menu, which I think reveals more terrifying things about how, exactly FF13 was slapped together.

As a decent defender of FF13 I'll say the plot and setting are quite enjoyable but the story and presentation are just absolutely abysmal. There is no shame on bailing on it if the combat isn't carrying you along because the best part of FF13 is its battle system.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

NikkolasKing posted:

Like FFT's music, it's plodding and a little too busy to keep a memorable singular tune and tends to lack motifs and themes. I'd listen to it while reading or working because it loops well and I enjoy it enough but I wouldn't want to go listen to it at a concert hall.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The story starts out decently and is very slow burning and repetative for about two thirds of the main story quest. The lowest point precedes you hitting level 30, getting job crystals and the game opening up a fair bit. Once you get your second Primal fight, the story starts to kick into gear a bit more and builds to a great rollicking finale against a sweet final boss.

Heavensward is just awesome Final Fantasy action from beginning to end. It really feels like Game of Thrones got thrown into an anime woodchipper and got sprinkled onto a moogle. It has like a million dragons in it and the final boss is awesome and the Heavensward Dungeons are far better than most of the regular story ones.

Sounds pretty good. I'm enjoying the early stuff for what it is, the writing is pretty funny and clever. I'll consider committing to the full game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Augus posted:

Sounds pretty good. I'm enjoying the early stuff for what it is, the writing is pretty funny and clever. I'll consider committing to the full game.

You're gonna love it. If the beginning is enough to hook you, like me, it only gets better.

Be sure to watch the Tam-Tara cutscenes. :D

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Just got the weapon upgrade function in FF13. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just feed my Gladius or something with all the materials?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

Just got the weapon upgrade function in FF13. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just feed my Gladius or something with all the materials?

You generally don't want to upgrade a weapon unless it is the one you intend to use to the end of the game. FFXIII has different weapon upgrade paths instead of stronger weapons so if you don't like the passive ability your Gladius has wait until you get a different weapoin with a better abiliity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can get away with dumping random biological materials for the multiplier combined with the absolute trash synthetic materials that barely register a gain for a quick boost if you run into a boss that gives you trouble, but otherwise grinding materials is such a slog it is not a bad idea to just save everything for the weapons that you want to use for the rest of the game for your A-team like ImpAtom describes.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

bloodychill posted:

Like FFT's music, it's plodding and a little too busy to keep a memorable singular tune and tends to lack motifs and themes. I'd listen to it while reading or working because it loops well and I enjoy it enough but I wouldn't want to go listen to it at a concert hall.

This is a really good summary. The FFXII soundtrack for me is easily the most forgettable of the main entries -- it meanders, it's unfocused, it just doesn't have the melodic bombast of the rest of the series. XIII may have been terrible but I was glad it at least brought some good music with it after XII was a bit of a low point in my opinion.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

On my latest run I upgraded Hope's Hawkeye mainly because Hope doesn't really pull his weight in terms of power at that point. Lightning will have a better MAG stat. But otherwise, I don't think there's any point upgrading stuff until...I dunno, Chapter 9 or 10. You get better materials, a lot of them, and also a lot of Gil which you can use to buy cheap components for the multiplier. You will be the poorest motherfucker for 3/4 of the game but there is a long dungeon in Chapter 9 that gives you tons of money. Or rather, it gives you Credit and Incentive Chips, which are components you sell to get loads of money.

Also I totally forgot that they throw money at you in Chapter 12 and 13. It's actually a bit overwhelming. After a whole game of not buying anything really, I just went kind of crazy buying Particle Accelerators and stuff. Sadly, even though I managed to upgrade it to the Malboro Wand and get the lovely Improved Debuffing II, I did not have the right transforming material to get it to Level 3 or transform Hope's new weapon that improves Siphon bonuses.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Endorph posted:

ramza has a sick beard, her name is agrias oaks

:drat:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

Generally it's best to ignore the upgrade system until the part where the game very blatantly opens up about 25 hours in. Until then you won't really be able to get much out of it and you'll also not be able to guarantee that the weapon you're upgrading is gonna be the one you want to stick with. Also gil will eventually be in much higher supply so you won't have to worry as much about running out of funds.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Augus posted:

Generally it's best to ignore the upgrade system until the part where the game very blatantly opens up about 25 hours in. Until then you won't really be able to get much out of it and you'll also not be able to guarantee that the weapon you're upgrading is gonna be the one you want to stick with.

I guess the 1-3 levels wouldn't make much of a difference anyways. Thanks for the help guys.

I am assuming the same for accessories as well?

poe meater fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 4, 2016

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Saoshyant posted:

I just want a remaster of FF12 so drat much. The recent talk here got me to listen to the soundtrack today and it just made me long for the days I was strolling about Ivalice with my good friend Balthier and his wife with the sexy accent.

Between the improvements on that Japanese-only revision and the really lovely audio quality, it feels like it deserves a proper remaster that would be definitive version of it.

Balthier and Fran aren't married. I don't want them to be because it ruins my BalthierxBaschxAshe threesome headcanon. I wish this thread would surrender and die in obscurity.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

I guess the 1-3 levels wouldn't make much of a difference anyways. Thanks for the help guys.

One, other, annoying thing to keep in mind is not all weapons have the same stats despite all of them turning into the same named ultimate weapon for all characters. For instance, any weapon with the ability "Stagger Lock" will have flat out superior overall stats to every other weapon characters can get despite both weapons being "Ultimate Weapons" for that character. Check a guide if you're planning on min-maxing, and for the love of god pick only three party members to max out their weapons/accessories.

If you just want to beat the game and don't give a poo poo about hunts/min-maxing, you can freely pick your favorite weapons and level them as high as they can go around the time you hit Pulse. One thing I might mention is that despite there being lots of components, only about 3 organic and 4 inorganic actually are worth a drat, so look up a guide before blowing your cash.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gologle posted:

Balthier and Fran aren't married. I don't want them to be because it ruins my BalthierxBaschxAshe threesome headcanon. I wish this thread would surrender and die in obscurity.

She's not his wife, she's Chewbacca.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

She's not his wife, she's Chewbacca.

According to The Force Awakens Han left his wife to go off and hang out with Chewbacca so welp.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Endorph posted:

ramza has a sick beard, her name is agrias oaks

idgi

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A character trailer was released for Ramza in Dissidia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0QgbqVu6Ec

shouting at people, self buffing and the first not poo poo remix of a song

ramza confirmed top tier

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

shouting at people, self buffing and the first not poo poo remix of a song

ramza confirmed top tier
Not to mention he's throwing around Ultima like it's nothing.

(That's what the blue orb attack is.)

Also, he's apparently got a few tricks not shown in the video... like being able to draw out a Chirijiraden.

Edit: The 2/4 Letter from the Director mentions that the Chaos characters will be revealed at the next official tournament, about two months from now.

Also, lots of soundtrack additions with the Tactics update, including a bunch of FFXIV tracks like Nemesis and Fallen Angel. No arrangements, but they didn't really need any in the first place.

Varance fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 4, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ramza is gay for delita

'beard' is a term used for women that gay men pretend to date as cover for their homosexual activity

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

You generally don't want to upgrade a weapon unless it is the one you intend to use to the end of the game. FFXIII has different weapon upgrade paths instead of stronger weapons so if you don't like the passive ability your Gladius has wait until you get a different weapoin with a better abiliity.

I like XIII but this is one of the problems I have with the game. The weapon upgrade system would be great if there was real incentive to do it throughout the game more and with multiple weapons per character. There just isn't enough incentive to do it and the grind for mats can be rough.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
not to mention it is another one of those things that is impossible to figure out without the use of a guide.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The absolute fastest way to level up weapons is total guide bait, but if all you want to do is beat the game its not an impossible task to figure out the interplay between the two types of materials and just dump in what the game has given you the next time a boss gives you trouble.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

not to mention it is another one of those things that is impossible to figure out without the use of a guide.

It really isn't. It is literally "put item into your weapon to build multiplier, put other item into your weapon to get EXP."

The 'guide bait" is the absolute fastest way to do it but it's literally impossible not to get it through sheer persistence if that is what you want.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't. It is literally "put item into your weapon to build multiplier, put other item into your weapon to get EXP."

The 'guide bait" is the absolute fastest way to do it but it's literally impossible not to get it through sheer persistence if that is what you want.

"Impossible" is an exaggeration but I do agree that it is not clear enough. I never felt that the game did a good job explaining what a lot of the status effects on weapons actually do. What I really would have enjoyed is if the game supplied users with an actual crafting tree which allowed us to see the progression line of the weapons along with better definitions of the status effects.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ImpAtom posted:

It's not so much that as it is the fact that EXP needed for levels beyond the first is totally hidden. You can end up wasting tons of stuff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It's not so much that as it is the fact that EXP needed for levels beyond the first is totally hidden. You can end up wasting tons of stuff.

Yeah this is extremely annoying. There isn't an in-game way to know what level something caps out at our what the XP progression curve of the stuff is. Should I dump a particle accelerator into this or is it literally only got one level in it before it caps? Who knows, slap stuff into it and find out!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Ugh...yes. I forgot about that until you just mentioned it. I never really cared about min/maxing crafting and wasting my materials except when it came to this part.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I leveled up stuff wantonly on my blind run and never had a problem. 2nd playthrough I beat the final boss without levelling up any weapon at all and then went min/max crazy with guides and stuff. It all works and it's really minor impacts on how you play so I wouldn't sweat it, go nuts. If you're going to be tackling end game stuff you're going to grinding a ton anyway so it really doesn't matter if you also have to do some extra Gil grinding.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Oh for sure. These problems never impeded my progress or even made encounters much more difficult. It's just that I enjoy these kinds of aspects in games and I want to get more fun out of it without a guide for crafting or a dictionary for all of the vague status effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Replaying FF9 and I just got to Lindblum. Brings back the warm fuzzies - this game would probably be on the short list of "fictional worlds I'd like to live in if I'm ever in a coma" or whatever.

Except I guess for the part where they let a ton of wild animals loose to apparently terrorize children who don't go inside during the hunt festival. Good thing I was here to save your stupid asses. The other place I remember being pretty cool was Treno, hopefully that's coming up before too long.