Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

In my opinion Whitepages Caller ID is the better app. It just works better.

Thanks! I didn't know if TrueCaller did any extra stuff like searched Facebook for the phone number to link with a name (you can actually do this in a lot of cases; search someone's phone number where you'd normally put their email address and their Facebook profile will show up). If a caller ID incorporates that ever, it would be glorious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sbaldrick posted:

What I meant is Google needs to talk over pushing it to phones and cut out the manufactures and carriers

Just buy Nexus phones and you won't have this problem!

(Never mind the fact that the AT&T Nexus 6 only received Marshmallow in the last couple weeks!)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sbaldrick posted:

What I meant is Google needs to talk over pushing it to phones and cut out the manufactures and carriers
They can't do this without mandating specific hardware.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I have a weird and dumb Android issue. For some reason, all the text under my app icons are now shortened. So my Google folder is now Goo.., MyFitnessPal is MyF...Pal, etc;

Any ideas on how to fix? A restart didn't help.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

nimper posted:

(Never mind the fact that the AT&T Nexus 6 only received Marshmallow in the last couple weeks!)

This was just the OTA update, right? They weren't blocking the factory images were they?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

CortezFantastic posted:

I have a weird and dumb Android issue. For some reason, all the text under my app icons are now shortened. So my Google folder is now Goo.., MyFitnessPal is MyF...Pal, etc;

What launcher are you using? Type of device? Is it red or blue?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

BoyBlunder posted:

What launcher are you using? Type of device? Is it red or blue?

Google Now, LG G2, don't know what you mean by red or blue

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a stock Nexus 5X and I think either my hardware is bad or some app is eating all my memory. The phone is intolerably slow, it reboots sometimes on its own, and its always killing background apps. If I switch from one app to another, it will kill the first app. I've actually had it kill my music app while I was listening. So what can I do to rule out software?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got a stock Nexus 5X and I think either my hardware is bad or some app is eating all my memory. The phone is intolerably slow, it reboots sometimes on its own, and its always killing background apps. If I switch from one app to another, it will kill the first app. I've actually had it kill my music app while I was listening. So what can I do to rule out software?

Reflash a clean stock image.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Athenry posted:

This was just the OTA update, right? They weren't blocking the factory images were they?

Right.

The point was that even the Nexus line is not free from carrier interference.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

nimper posted:

Right.

The point was that even the Nexus line is not free from carrier interference.

Go with an MVNO friend :) my Nexus 6 is fully up to date, no flashing needed

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I seem to recall there being some sort of downside to wiping data for Google Play Services. People were doing that to try and get an OS update faster or something, but I can't remember what the reason to not do it was. Anyone have an idea there?

I'm having trouble getting Smart (un)Lock working on my Chromebook, and one of the common solutions to the problem is wiping Google Play Services data on your phone.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I seem to recall there being some sort of downside to wiping data for Google Play Services. People were doing that to try and get an OS update faster or something, but I can't remember what the reason to not do it was. Anyone have an idea there?

It makes Google assign your device a new GCM ID, which can cause external services that use native push notifications to get confused and not deliver them properly. Some apps fix themselves eventually, others need a log out and log in cycle or data clearing to fix.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's the original post.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

God drat, they did something in the last update of Pocket Casts that makes it devour my battery through resource loads so high it makes active display not work. Potentially something with the playing notification, because it doesn't gently caress things up when I just have the downloading notification. Press play and it immediately starts heating up, lagging, etc. Uninstalled, reinstalled, cleared its cache and data, still hosed. Moto X Pure 2015, not rooted, stock everything, baller-rear end bamboo backplate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FWIW, same phone here, use Pocket Casts daily, no issues.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

FWIW, same phone here, use Pocket Casts daily, no issues.

How many podcasts are you subscribed to? How many episodes do you normally have unplayed?

It's usually around 40 unplayed for me with probably as many subscriptions, and I use the thing that cuts out gaps of dead air to play faster.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I only have a handful of subscribed podcasts, but I probably have close to 200 unplayed and downloaded episodes (catching up on a few things.)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

I only have a handful of subscribed podcasts, but I probably have close to 200 unplayed and downloaded episodes (catching up on a few things.)

I'll have to see if getting rid of some subscriptions does the trick.

e: It's almost certainly something to do with Moto Display and the Pocket Casts notification/controls when playing. Just blocked it from being shown by active display and it seems to have resolved the "can't check on things by waving at my phone" issue. This isn't something that occurs with Spotify or Google Music, though.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 5, 2016

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

CortezFantastic posted:

So if I clear the cache of the Google app, it seems to fix the issue. But it comes back after a bit. Still no idea how to fix this.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Posting itt to say how excited I am about my switching to new carrier with my new Nexus 5x with a Diztronic case. It's been a heady few days.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
FML it's been 7 weeks since I sent my Nexus 6 for repair, well more like 4 weeks since I had to chase the courier and make multiple calls to Motorola and Toll to get the drat thing picked up in the first place. Now it's been three weeks since I accepted the repair quote and nothing has happened and Motorola don't know what's up, so I hope their query gets this thing loving done. I sent it in a year ago and it took a week, never mind that was warranty and now I'm paying for this poo poo.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Part of the X just fell off my Nexus 6.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Out of curiosity why haven't you dehumanized yourself and faced to iPhone? It seems like Android has given you little but grief.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I tried it for a week. I missed intents too much. Apparently it's normal for iPhone users to use gmail/inbox like normal, but still have the default email client configured so they can use the share menu. That's weird. That and every app having little webview browsers instead of passing you to chrome. It's not for me, but I will absolutely envy their build quality and support. Dude a few posts up wishes they could have taken their phone to the Google store and swapped it out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 5, 2016

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

RZA Encryption posted:

Do yourself a favor and just peel out the rest as well. For me it happened about a year in.

I know it's just cometic damage but I really don't like that this is even a problem. The whole thing looked nice at the beginning but started to collect dirt and everything after only a few weeks. Now the letters are gone completely and there's even more room for dirt and grime. Meanwhile I'm sitting there every week with a tooth pick so that my phone doesn't become a petri dish.

I'd really like to switch over to an iPhone after 5 years with Android. I like the OS and I basically live in Google's services but Apple's hardware is that much nicer. Then, when I'm almost sure I'll make the switch, I have to help my dad get a new ringtone onto his 6s and all the desire is gone in an instant. Then, a few days later he sends me a video or a picture taken with his phone and the feeling starts to creep back again. Just amazing quality even though he's a lousy photographer. I'm constantly eyeing his phone until I actually have to use it. First world problems at their best...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

I tried it for a week. I missed intents too much. Apparently it's normal for iPhone users to use gmail/inbox like normal, but still have the default email client configured so they can use the share menu. That's weird. That and every app having little webview browsers instead of passing you to chrome. It's not for me, but I will absolutely envy their build quality and support. Dude a few posts up wishes they could have taken their phone to the Google store and swapped it out.

Yeah, might as well just set up Gmail as IMAP and call it a day, although I don't know if there's anything to help the whole 'only Safari gets to do anything interesting with web browsing and good freaking luck syncing all your Chrome stuff in' bit. Then again Apple's probably not utterly ignorant of the rise of web apps, so they don't want to make things too easy just yet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

All of the letters eventually fell off my Nexus 5.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I wish I could run Android on 6S. Decent, customizable os with god tier hardware. But can't have it both ways...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RZA Encryption posted:

This is me.

It sounds so stupid and fanboy-ish, but there's truth to the fact that I find myself constantly limited when using iOS, and I've tried to switch like 4 times now.

So basically, on Android everything is perfect for me 90% of the time and 10% of the time it infuriates me. On iOS, there's this low-level irritation almost all of the time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

This is me.

It sounds so stupid and fanboy-ish, but there's truth to the fact that I find myself constantly limited when using iOS, and I've tried to switch like 4 times now.

So basically, on Android everything is perfect for me 90% of the time and 10% of the time it infuriates me. On iOS, there's this low-level irritation almost all of the time.

Limited in what way? Mind you, I've of the same mindset in that I prefer Android when it works but I wouldn't use the word "limited".

You did hit on the other word I'd use which was "irritated". Beyond stuff everyone complains about like the system apps you don't want so you have to relegate them to a folder on the second page, I found that I'm apparently just too dumb to understand the OS at all. None of the icons make sense to me, any time I try to do anything but the simplest task I end up having to Google it to find out how to do it, and some things are so bizarre my brain just actively rejects remembering them like what pressing the home button does if you do it twice or three times or hold it or whatever it is. I finally know how my parents feel when they encounter anything at all because nothing makes any sense to me at all and I don't understand anything I'm doing when I'm using it.

I half wonder if it's some weird form of Stockholm syndrome but I think I genuinely like the way the Android UX is designed and operates despite really wanting to think that it sucks. There's so much wrong with the platform but I'll admit that when it works, it works well.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

some things are so bizarre my brain just actively rejects remembering them like what pressing the home button does if you do it twice or three times or hold it or whatever it is.
This is me every single time I try to use an iOS device. I imagine you get used to it but it seems entirely unintuitive to me.

Having said that, this is also me every time I use a Samsung device with hardware buttons that don't match the current Android button scheme so they had to remap Recents to double-tap-menu or something dumb.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I feel the same way when I try to use OS X - nothing works at all how I would expect. I'm completely willing to admit that that's just because I've been using Windows almost exclusively for years, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Limited in what way?

Limited in the sense that I want to work in one way and Apple wants me to work in a different way. RZA gave a perfect example of this with the thing about gmail and the Mail app.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I tried an iPod touch a while back (I want to say 2010 ish) before I got too far into the Android ecosystem to switch, and found the UI so loving unintuitive and iTunes such a goddamn dumpster fire that I gave the iPod to my brother and haven't considered switching since. It's amazing how backwards it was compared to, like, Gingerbread. GB might have looked like hammered rear end but at least I wasn't stuck trying to guess how to remove items from a list or dealing with that cripple-rear end take on an email client it had.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

FAUXTON posted:

I tried an iPod touch a while back (I want to say 2010 ish) before I got too far into the Android ecosystem to switch, and found the UI so loving unintuitive and iTunes such a goddamn dumpster fire that I gave the iPod to my brother and haven't considered switching since. It's amazing how backwards it was compared to, like, Gingerbread. GB might have looked like hammered rear end but at least I wasn't stuck trying to guess how to remove items from a list or dealing with that cripple-rear end take on an email client it had.

iTunes was super bad in 2010. I think in 2012 it got revamped, and has devolved back into... kinda bad, but not the major dealbreaker it used to be that got me to switch to Android instead of upgrading to a third iPhone. Nowadays, I actually use it as my main music player, but that's mostly due to my being back on iOS and OS X 90% of the time -- I can just open it and push play without having to interact with it much beyond that.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
What phones did you long term android users use between 2006-2015 (when android cameras finally got good enough)?

I went from a 2005 Nokia candybar to nothing but iphones from 2007 until October 2015 when I moved to a 2015 MotoXP. The only thing I miss about my last iPhone 6 is the headphone port, the apple earbuds* and overall build quality and much more thoughtful layout of buttons. Regardless of that, I ain't going back and hopefully the headphone port and power/volume switches move.

*cheap amzn fire earbuds are drat good and work with volume/pause buttons perfectly.

Itunes blows bad though good riddance....except I still have to use it to keep the 80G ipod in my car loaded. You can claw my MacBook Air out of my cold dead hands, I don't see a reason to fart around with a chromebook/pixel at all. My 2013 Nexus 7 tablet is still plugging along as well.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 5, 2016

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Keyser S0ze posted:

What phones did you long term android users use between 2006-2015 (when android cameras finally got good enough)?

I went from a 2005 Nokia candybar to nothing but iphones from 2007 until October 2015 when I moved to a 2015 MotoXP. The only thing I miss about my last iPhone 6 is the headphone port, the apple earbuds* and overall build quality and much more thoughtful layout of buttons. Regardless of that, I ain't going back and hopefully the headphone port and power/volume switches move.

*cheap amzn fire earbuds are drat good and work with volume/pause buttons perfectly.

Itunes blows bad though good riddance....except I still have to use it to keep the 80G ipod in my car loaded.

This really depends on where you ask. I think 2012 with the samsung Galaxy s3 is really when Android hit the zeitgeist; the galaxy s3 is seriously like the iphone 4/4s of phones. It's pretty old now but I still see plenty of people still rocking one. Coincidentally, the s3 had a great camera at the time and pretty good performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Keyser S0ze posted:

Itunes blows bad though good riddance....except I still have to use it to keep the 80G ipod in my car loaded. You can claw my MacBook Air out of my cold dead hands, I don't see a reason to fart around with a chromebook/pixel at all. My 2013 Nexus 7 tablet is still plugging along as well.

Went from a Blackberry Curve to a Samsung Moment (lol), to a HTC Evo, to a HTC Evo 3D, to a Nexus S 4G, to a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint (lol again), to a Galaxy S3, to getting rid of loving Sprint and having a Moto X 2013, then a Droid Maxx, then Droid Turbo and now a Nexus 6P.

Holy gently caress I've had a lot of phones. Not Hot Sauce type numbers but geez.