Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Zaphod42 posted:

Plug your key in now, and then use the VPN to unlock, not to plug in the key.

Dude what is your issue? Its been like 5 minutes and you're empty-quoting yourself already? Calm the gently caress down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Commanders, in 2 minutes we will be going weapons-free.

(never used a VPN for an early unlock before, going to be disappointed if I hosed something up)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

poo poo's unlocking yo

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The VPN worked, now just waiting like 2 hours for this stuff to decrypt, yay!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I'm bad at phone

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Gooday, you, uh dingoes. I hope you mates all enjoy Xcom! Throw another tinny on the dinkum.

Apropos of nothing, golden frog's free trial is great.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

unpacking now

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Operation "Operate computer through phone and activate VPN/unlock" completed.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Thank God for SSD disk usage speeds.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My home country of New Zealand has a lot of good stuff like chocolate milk and honey.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

Did they get a new voice actor for Bradford? I didn't ever realize it was supposed to be the same character until someone pointed it out.

In the trailer, its so easy to tell who the new voice actor is.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Still an annoying amount of time to wait for it to unpack, but I might as well browse the cheevos, woo.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

So glad I installed this onto my SSD this time. Only going to take 10 minutes to unpack as opposed to the 2 hours it took Fallout 4 to unpack.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Goddamnit, I've turned on the VPN and my internet connection works otherwise (albeit slowly), but the Steam client is giving a connection error.

Aughhh don't do this to me

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can VPN into Australia using WTFast, by the way, and it works just fine.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, SSD's are great, mine's already down to 8 minutes.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
Do I have to stay logged into the VPN while it unpacks?

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Still working for at least another few hours :qq:

We will be in touch, Commander

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
My favourite part of the thread so far is Americans being culturally unable to cope with the sheer horrifying concept of not being able to play a videogame before a country that historically has to wait six months extra to pay fifty bucks more.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The Kins posted:

My favourite part of the thread so far is Americans being culturally unable to cope with the sheer horrifying concept of not being able to play a videogame before a country that historically has to wait six months extra to pay fifty bucks more.

Well maybe they should let the boat people in

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

heckyeahpathy posted:

Yes. The safest thing to do is wait until you've gotten the game running, and then set Steam to offline mode until the game is properly released in your region.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Nordick posted:

Goddamnit, I've turned on the VPN and my internet connection works otherwise (albeit slowly), but the Steam client is giving a connection error.

You have to restart steam.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Nordick posted:

Me too, anyone know how to fix it? (Using F-Secure)

e: as in, restarting Steam gives me the connect error as if I wasn't connected to the Internet.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

heckyeahpathy posted:

Yes. Once it finishes unpacking I think you restart in offline mode, and THEN you can shut off the VPN.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
3am, I have work in the morning, and yet I'm staring at this progress bar for this game to decrypt.

Can't wait to play.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Elliotw2 posted:

You have to restart steam.

Yes, I know, and I did.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Robhol posted:

Yes. The safest thing to do is wait until you've gotten the game running, and then set Steam to offline mode until the game is properly released in your region.

Thanks. I thought I could clear up the connection in case it gets smashed by other people pretending to be australians, but I'll wait it out.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
How are people getting the VPN stuff to work? Doing anything special? I have a Japanese VPN, and looking at the store page in a browser confirms it is working, but when I log into Steam everything appears normal and the game still says pre-load.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Holy poo poo 2 hours to unpack?! I need to buy a new HD.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Hm, is there a trick to make steam re-check? Using freedome and it hasn't begun unlocking yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Decryption should be done in 5 minutes. God bless the SSDs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Kins posted:

As an Amurhican I find it amusing. Honestly this is how Firaxis has been doing its releases lately: Australia got both Beyond Earth and Rising Tides before us. Admittedly that might be considered a mixed blessing, but it's their new pattern. Honestly I find unlocking across the world over 12-24 hours far, far better than the BS we had before.

Anyways, struggling to free myself from a kitten on my lap to turn on my computer and put a Pectoid on the Barbie, mate.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Set your store (in downloads) to the region you're VPNing from.

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004

dyzzy posted:

Hm, is there a trick to make steam re-check? Using freedome and it hasn't begun unlocking yet.

I just restarted steam

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Robhol posted:

How are people getting the VPN stuff to work? Doing anything special? I have a Japanese VPN, and looking at the store page in a browser confirms it is working, but when I log into Steam everything appears normal and the game still says pre-load.

Exit Steam, turn on Japanese VPN, start Steam, everything working for me right now.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

For people having trouble, maybe try changing store/download regions? Just guesswork here

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So 9 hidden achievements and one to beat the game by July 1st ingame. Then there's beating the final mission using only ballistics and killing 3 enemies with 1 soldier in 1 turn. Looking forward to doing some of these, they look like fun.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
Nope, doesn't work. Changing store region doesn't work because it just says my region is detected as the UK.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Kins posted:

Europeans always get screwed on release dates as well. Not as bad as 'Mericans in this particular situation but still.
At least we "Only" pay 30% extra....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Beat the game with unupgraded ballistic weapons?

Tricky, but possible. You'd need to make copius use of special abilities that let you mind control enemies and stuff.