Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It helps that the CEO is a CCIE and engineerings network is separate from corporate. It was basically a "gently caress this I'm not dealing with 6 different distros and a BSD" situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vulture Culture posted:

We're the largest customer at one of our vendors and they keep spelling our name wrong no matter how many times we correct them up to the CTO level

I think I know your company's name, and if I'm right, I have no idea how they could misspell that.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Anybody have any suggestions on a self-service password reset/unlock portal?

I'm playing with ManageEngine ADSelfService Plus, right now. Seems simple enough (for a Tomcat service).

Now the question is: Will our users use it, or just find it simpler to call our Helpdesk line?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Docjowles posted:

F5 is the worst load balancer vendor... except for all the others.

I actually like A10 products. :colbert:

Every other load balancer can straight up :fuckoff: tho.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I'm playing with ManageEngine ADSelfService Plus, right now. Seems simple enough (for a Tomcat service).

Now the question is: Will our users use it, or just find it simpler to call our Helpdesk line?
If you are using any MS cloudy services already (e.g. Office 365) then look at Azure AD Premium.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lord Dudeguy posted:

http://www.specopssoft.com/product/specops-password-reset/

We were trying out their password policy product but did remember seeing this as well. Just another option to try

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think I know your company's name, and if I'm right, I have no idea how they could misspell that.
It's more a really annoying capitalization/formatting issue that appears absolutely everywhere as opposed to a real spelling problem

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

It's more a really annoying capitalization/formatting issue that appears absolutely everywhere as opposed to a real spelling problem

Sounds like eBay.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lord Dudeguy posted:

We use it. It's cheap and does the job. Our users use it no problem and has drastically reduced pw reset tasks. If you just want an easy to use standalone program it fits the bill

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

DigitalMocking posted:

I actually like A10 products. :colbert:

Every other load balancer can straight up :fuckoff: tho.

A former coworker of mine would rave about Kemp load balancers, but I don't really spend any time working with them as part of my job. The people they had working their booth at ms ignite last year seemed nice enough though :shrug:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Just for the lols I opened rdp on a throw-away machine I've got to the internet to see what kind of attention it would attract. I expected a lot, but not quite ~1200 attempts an hour a lot.

The internet sucks.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Any hiring managers mind answering some questions for me via PM? I am considering transitioning into the IT field from what I'm currently doing, and while I have some certs, I wouldn't mind someone taking a look at my resume and maybe giving me some direction.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

UNATCO Telephone posted:

Any hiring managers mind answering some questions for me via PM? I am considering transitioning into the IT field from what I'm currently doing, and while I have some certs, I wouldn't mind someone taking a look at my resume and maybe giving me some direction.

Are you prepared for the drinking that's required to work in IT?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

jaegerx posted:

Are you prepared for the drinking that's required to work in IT?

I answer 911 calls for a living, so, yes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

UNATCO Telephone posted:

When a user calls saying their keyboard doesn't work and that it's life or death, how will you strangle them over the phone?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

GreenNight posted:

When a user calls saying their keyboard doesn't work and that it's life or death, how will you strangle them over the phone?

Mentally and then physically.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

UNATCO Telephone posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582

start there

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

UNATCO Telephone posted:

Mentally and then physically.

I'm sorry, IT work isn't for you. The correct answer is: " In my dreams while I drink myself to death. "

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

UNATCO Telephone posted:

There's a recruiter in one of these threads. I don't remember his name. Someone will point him to you or you to him.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Thread regular Dick Trauma used to work in 911 dispatch so he might be able to give some perspective specific to that kind of transition. He's been very scarce lately though, and I'm honestly a little concerned about him.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Quick, somebody call 911.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
That's an pod way to spell "dish network"

Edit: not going to correct that typo.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks, everyone. I posted in the other thread, too. I've interviewed for a few positions so far but the pay is very low compared to what I make now. My area (southern NJ) really sucks for IT. I'm testing the waters to see if it's worth leaving a 12 year career + pension just for a better schedule and a different kind of stress.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

UNATCO Telephone posted:

Thanks, everyone. I posted in the other thread, too. I've interviewed for a few positions so far but the pay is very low compared to what I make now. My area (southern NJ) really sucks for IT. I'm testing the waters to see if it's worth leaving a 12 year career + pension just for a better schedule and a different kind of stress.

You can send it my way if you like. Pensions are hard to beat.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

H110Hawk posted:

You can send it my way if you like. Pensions are hard to beat.

Sent, thank you.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Docjowles posted:

They did take a photo of me on top of our tower on a skyscraper in downtown Denver. Need to find that drat thing. I've used too many photo services over the years.

apropos of nothing, I did finally find this photo shoot heh. lol_liability.jpg. Me climbing up a narrow-rear end tower on top of a larger platform on the roof of the 38-story TIAA-CREF building in downtown Denver, with no training or qualifications other than the dudes who were supposed to do it watching me. Circa 2011.

The field guys were very adamant that it was a bad idea to walk in front of those microwave dishes...

Looking west to the capitol building

Mile High Stadium in the distance, to the right of the insane radio dish Christmas tree

I miss very little about that job, but the opportunity to climb all over cool places was fun!

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 4, 2016

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
You are less jowly than I would have expected.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I get that a lot, although I am growing closer to my avatar with each passing year. I'm already pretty fat, and now that I have a kid (and continue to be an alcoholic in IT) my hair is a looot grayer than it was 5 years ago in that pic.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Well you're on the right track, and that's what's important. Keep up the good work.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Docjowles posted:

The field guys were very adamant that it was a bad idea to walk in front of those microwave dishes...

I'm still mentally imaging you as your avatar.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Traffic Reporter posted:

A former coworker of mine would rave about Kemp load balancers, but I don't really spend any time working with them as part of my job. The people they had working their booth at ms ignite last year seemed nice enough though :shrug:

We just bought a pair of Kemps for a side project based on their cost alone. I couldn't justify A10s for the low traffic of an engineering test enterprise lync pool.

The UI is straight garbage, but their templates worked right out of the box, you can have them up and running for most typical tasks in an hour or so. Its funny, they were so cheap I didn't even consider them load balancers when I was thinking of Cisco/F5 and the like.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Docjowles posted:

The ones we had at a previous job had a very clearly marked and fenced-off NO ENTRY area in front of the transmitters. :supaburn:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
God dammit, it may be time to start the YOTJ process again. I've been with my current company for almost exactly a year, and came from an absolute trainwreck of a place so i'm very happy to be here. Current company is a pretty good place to work, no calls after hours, decent boss, good benefits, and a fantastic commute. I've gotten hands on with all of the major systems, made a lot of significant changes for the better, and the project list for the upcoming year would be good items to have on my resume.

Except for the fact that they didn't make any money last year and are now implementing cost-cutting measures.

To include no merit increases.

And the bonus goals check from last quarter just hit my bank account, and it's 1/2 of what it normally is net, even though my boss said he was putting me in for the full amount. Time to raise some loving hell as soon as I get my ADP statement. Cost cutting measures, fine, but you don't gently caress with my paycheck. And yes, I have it in writing.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Kick his rear end dude

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

UNATCO Telephone posted:

I am said recruiter. Feel free to send them my way and to receive brutal honesty in return.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dark Helmut posted:

I am said recruiter. Feel free to send them my way and to receive brutal honesty in return.

Do send your resume to Dark Helmut, he looked at mine and made suggestions and I ended up :yotj:ing to the first place I sent sent it to after the edits.

Coincidence?! I THINK NOT.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Inspector_666 posted:

Do send your resume to Dark Helmut, he looked at mine and made suggestions and I ended up :yotj:ing to the first place I sent sent it to after the edits.

Coincidence?! I THINK NOT.

:tipshat:

Grats dude!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

This, holy crap this, our team lead basically plays linebacker with these idiots and beats it into their heads that 99% of the stuff they want to look at is not in scope because of how we've got our stuff configured. The problem is that our client used to handle credit reconciliation but now all that poo poo is shipped off to a third-party and never touches any of the equipment we manage.

*edit* at some point I think the auditors demanded we give them a domain admin account for :reasons:, but I could be incorrect, since, as said, our team lead keeps them out of our hair.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 4, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Auditors in any field tend to be hired based on their ability to follow a checklist as closely as possible, IME. Just because it doesn't make sense, doesn't mean it's not on their form, and that's what's really important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
NESSUS SCAN SAY FIX