Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I'm currently in an FCM game on there, it's definitely async. Got room for 1 more? I've not played yet (other than being in setup in the other game >_>) but I'm good on the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

enigmahfc posted:

(not really AP, because she is always paying attention)

Taking ages thinking through your turn is exactly what AP is. Not paying attention is "being rude" I guess, or at least unengaged

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Andarel posted:

I'm currently in an FCM game on there, it's definitely async. Got room for 1 more? I've not played yet (other than being in setup in the other game >_>) but I'm good on the rules.

We're full up. Sorry.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Oldstench posted:

We're full up. Sorry.

Not a problem. My physical copy should arrive tomorrow so that'll be handy.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I'm usually willing to play any board game with my group, but the games I will magically come down with a contagious cold with are Sherrif of Nottingham, Dungeon Quest... and maybe Shadows Over Camelot

I just... cant play those games, too loving awful :(

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I'm usually willing to play any board game with my group, but the games I will magically come down with a contagious cold with are Sherrif of Nottingham, Dungeon Quest... and maybe Shadows Over Camelot

I just... cant play those games, too loving awful :(

Sheriff isn't that bad, it's a fun ice breaker and goes fairly quickly. Even better if/when people get into character and don't play it like it's some sort of championship. That said, if it becomes a staple of evenings or something that game nights are built around I'd get pissed off but I'd rather play a lot of quick games of Sheriff rather than tedious ones of Dead of Winter or Betrayal. Any game gets stale if overplayed.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

T-Bone posted:

Some people rate Paths of Glory as the greatest wargame ever but it's pretty heavy (and long). The Grizzled is a light WW1 themed co-op that came out recently. I've heard mixed things but it might be worth checking out.

I still think you can't beat Twilight Struggle for history lovers looking to get into gaming and it's really not that hard to teach/learn (probably my favorite rulebook ever). You could possibly go from TS to Paths of Glory although maybe that would be too big of a jump.

I noticed Paths of Glory since I looked up what BGG had for WW1 games that were ranked highly/popular. It might be a bit involved to start out with, but I dunno how much of an experience he might want. I've seen The Grizzled played in person and it isn't really quite what I'm looking for (if anything, this is still just an idea). Although TS would probably be a good choice in general, I think he is fixated on WWI more than a game being great. But it isn't a bad suggestion and maybe I'll steer him towards that in the hopes that I can grab a copy since I've never tried it.

Oldstench posted:

I've heard great things about The Great War. It uses the Commands & Colors system which is easy to learn, even for new gamers.

This looks excellent, I'm reading about it now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Are there any economic/market games out there in which you are able to buy/sell/trade stock of other players that are tied to their performance in the game?

One of the modules of 504 is stocks, and it works like this:

As a primary module (victory condition), you buy and sell 5 sub-companies which play 5 rounds of the game and try to wind up with the most cash.

As a secondary module (income condition), you buy and sell 5 sub-companies which play the game through to completion, and score each of your final shares based on the company's final VP.

As a tertiary module (flavor condition) everybody is their own company, and scoring works like it does in the secondary module. You can sell your own shares for cash or buy ones other people have sold.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Indolent Bastard posted:

The game changes as you play it. After 12 or so sessions you are done and the game cannot (easily) be played again.

Cool concept and if you have a solid core group it is amazingly fun.

This is more true of Pandemic Legacy than it is of Risk.

After 15 games of Risk Legacy, the victory log on the board is full and it's likely most of the major board modifications have been made and module packs opened, but there may still be minor modifications left to make, and the victory conditions don't change drastically. The game is very much still playable as its own custom set, especially since one of the modules introduces a kind of handicapping mechanism to account for variations in faction power and board state.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
You guys had better watch out, Rutibex is designing games in the Roguelikes thread now. He could be coming for your boardgames next!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Radioactive Toy posted:

You guys had better watch out, Rutibex is designing games in the Roguelikes thread now. He could be coming for your boardgames next!

Final Fantasy R has many boardgaming inspirations, but I felt it wasn't close enough to a board game to pimp here. If you want to play a board game designed by me you can try Feirmeoir:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175694/feirmeoir

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Masters of Venice is a great economics game with stocks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ayn Randi posted:

multiplayer magic is terrible, i lust for a LCG-formatted rerelease of richard garfields magnum opus jyhad/vampire:TES which is the best multiplayer ccg ever made

Netrunner came back from the grave, I could see V:TM coming back as well.

Here's hoping that its FFG and an LCG instead of WOTC and a TCG/CCG.

enigmahfc posted:

I dodged a bullet this past Saturday.

My wife and I went to a board game meetup, and got there about an hour and half before another couple we were going to meet, so we decide to try a game that falls within that realm. A guy came up and asked if we wanted to play the game he was holding, which I thought was Five Tribes. Cool, yeah, I'll give that a shot. He got another couple to play also. So we start setting the game up, everyone picks their colors, setting out the cards, and something starts to feel...off as the guy starts over the rules. We all got quests to complete, and mine was literally 'wander around until you find a certain treasure, then maybe you will get to keep it or something". Then he mentions how dice roles and numbers on the board reference sections of this big rear end , wire-bound book of a couple hundred pages. That's when I realized this wasn't five Tribes, it was Tales of the Arabian Nights. At that point, I just apologized for being a dick, but my wife and I were going to have to drop out. The game hadn't started yet, and I could tell this wasn't going to be my kind of game, yadda, yadda. They were annoyed, and my wife was actually pretty pissed at me for quitting like that...until we saw the same group (with 2 new people) playing the same game 5 hours later.

We played 3 games (1 of which we new to us) in the same time it took for one game of TotAN.

Arabian Nights is really fun if you have a sense of humor and imagination, I'm really sorry your inner child is dead and you can only play hardcore euro games with wooden toggles :cheeky:

Scyther posted:

This is not a defense of Tales Of The Arabian Nights at all, you did dodge a miserable experience, but it's basically mandatory to play with no more than 4 people and to ignore the actual victory conditions and just set a timer for like two hours or something.

Also if people can join in, people can also tap out. You don't have to play it to the finish; you don't have to find out who the winner is.
Its not always about who is the 'winner'.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 4, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zaphod42 posted:

Arabian Nights is really fun if you have a sense of humor and imagination, I'm really sorry your inner child is dead and you can only play hardcore euro games with wooden toggles :cheeky:

Any game can be fun with a sense of humor and imagination, though. You could render every turn of Dominion into an elaborate narrative on each individual's developing kingdom. Settlers of Catan is a historical documentary on the development of the nation of Catan and the leaders who wheeled and dealed to exploit its resources. Quantum is a space opera where the ships are literally giant dice. Go into what each spy is accomplishing and how their mistakes cost them between each round of Codenames. Heck, you could have a world of limitless possibilities with an ordinary deck of cards but I'm too lazy to bullshit stuff for that.

e: Don't know if that was sarcastic or sincere, my bad if the former.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Zaphod42 posted:

Netrunner came back from the grave, I could see V:TM coming back as well.

Here's hoping that its FFG and an LCG instead of WOTC and a TCG/CCG.

Richard Garfield said in an AMA a year and a half ago that FFG was going to reboot VteS as an LCG. Christian Petersen immediately clarified that FFG had looked into it, but passed.

EBag
May 18, 2006

To be fair Tales gets way too long with 5 players, especially if you don't keep the points total low or you get some lovely condition where you can't do anything for a few turns. It is a fun game once in awhile, but 3 players is nice so everyone is involved in some way, or at most 4 so you only sit out once. There's only so much getting hosed by djinn and disguised viziers I can take before it gets to be tedious.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Also if people can join in, people can also tap out. You don't have to play it to the finish; you don't have to find out who the winner is.
Its not always about who is the 'winner'.

If people can drop in and out of a game and it not really effect the outcome, it's not the game for me. I don't even consider that a game. I know some people really like 'story generating' games, but I can sit around with friends and tell jokes and stories on my own without the need to cross reference a book the thickness of my Operations Management textbook.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mega64 posted:

Any game can be fun with a sense of humor and imagination, though. You could render every turn of Dominion into an elaborate narrative on each individual's developing kingdom. Settlers of Catan is a historical documentary on the development of the nation of Catan and the leaders who wheeled and dealed to exploit its resources. Quantum is a space opera where the ships are literally giant dice. Go into what each spy is accomplishing and how their mistakes cost them between each round of Codenames. Heck, you could have a world of limitless possibilities with an ordinary deck of cards but I'm too lazy to bullshit stuff for that.

e: Don't know if that was sarcastic or sincere, my bad if the former.

That is true, and I do have the saying "even a bad game can be good with friends", but I think there's still key differences between "bad game you're enjoying with your friends because you're drunk and you're making fun of it and coming up with your own stuff" and "game that isn't super competitive but facilitates hilarious encounters".

Poopy Palpy posted:

Richard Garfield said in an AMA a year and a half ago that FFG was going to reboot VteS as an LCG. Christian Petersen immediately clarified that FFG had looked into it, but passed.

Laaaame. Although supposedly some pro magic player tried to get the rights to netrunner from WOTC and it fell through, but then a couple years later FFG picked it up. So maybe they could still negotiate something someday?

enigmahfc posted:

If people can drop in and out of a game and it not really effect the outcome, it's not the game for me. I don't even consider that a game. I know some people really like 'story generating' games, but I can sit around with friends and tell jokes and stories on my own without the need to cross reference a book the thickness of my Operations Management textbook.

To each his own, but I really think if you only play games to win you're missing out on some fun times.

Like yeah you can sit around and tell jokes with your friends, but are all your friends super creative? Some people need help. I have some friends who can't handle full on roleplaying games but they can play talisman or arabian nights and have fun.

I mean that's like saying "why watch a movie when you can just joke around with your friends." Sometimes somebody putting work into it pays off!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 4, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The problem that I have with TotAN is that if I'm making the effort anyway, I might as well actually play a Roleplaying game instead and have total freedom of expression instead of being constrained. I like choose your own adventure books but they get boring fast.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Laaaame. Although supposedly some pro magic player tried to get the rights to netrunner from WOTC and it fell through, but then a couple years later FFG picked it up. So maybe they could still negotiate something someday?

FFG aren't interested in negotiating for it. They already could have done, but didn't. Their statement is that they already have enough LCGs out there and the market is saturated, which is why COC:LCG and Warhammer: Invasion were quietly killed for Conquest and Star Wars respectively when those games proved financially viable. It's probable that LOTR will come to an end next year or the year after, depending on whether FFG want to wait a year on Legend of the Five Rings or are willing to gamble.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Babylon 5 needs an LCG badly too : (

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

If people can drop in and out of a game and it not really effect the outcome, it's not the game for me.

With some games people leaving is a pretty easy fix. Eldritch horror, just flip the reference card over and continue on accordingly. Argent even has rules that say 'Well, you probably shouldn't do this but take two rooms out and carry on'. With other games, one person leaving might as well make people just go 'We'll calculate the winner now'. But the fact of the matter is, sometimes life comes up. And sometimes people just aren't enjoying the game. I play most of my games in a pub in public, so it's a meetup sort of affair. And if someone is having a dire time with the game, I'd much rather they left and went and enjoyed themsleves than had a lovely time. :3:
I'm aware that might not've been what you were saying, but still it's way better to just drop out of a lovely time than to demand everyone stick till the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tekopo posted:

The problem that I have with TotAN is that if I'm making the effort anyway, I might as well actually play a Roleplaying game instead and have total freedom of expression instead of being constrained. I like choose your own adventure books but they get boring fast.

Yeah for sure, but like I said I have lots of friends who kinda panic when they're told they can do "anything" and end up either doing nothing or doing the same thing over and over and over again. Most people think roleplaying is super nerdy and it scares them subconsciously so they just really go out of their way to avoid it. And then even if you can get them to do it, if they're inexperienced they'll be going out of character all the time, it can feel like herding cats.

I love CYOA too but its single-player and you quickly see most of the possible paths and then its usually not worth re-treading just to find the one or two options you haven't done yet.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I'm aware that might not've been what you were saying, but still it's way better to just drop out of a lovely time than to demand everyone stick till the end.

Agreed. And if everybody but one person is having fun, forcing the game to end just to declare a winner seems silly.

It depends upon the setting too though, if you're all over at Joe's house and Joe finds the game boring it'd be pretty lame to just deal him out of the game and keep playing.

But given the previous scenario of seeing a game you're not sure about and deciding to just gently caress off, pissing off your wife, rather than participate and maybe leave early... IDK. Probably not the call I'd make personally.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 4, 2016

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lets not forget that she was only pissed until it became evident that she had been prevented from enternal into an eternal purgatory.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The General posted:

Babylon 5 needs an LCG badly too : (

Ah, the old B5 CCG made by Precedence, several shoe boxes of which I still have :allears:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Zaphod42 posted:

To each his own, but I really think if you only play games to win you're missing out on some fun times.

This to me is a common argument that I think has a major flaw: the two are not mutually exclusive. You're not EITHER playing to win OR having fun; for some (most?) people, playing to win IS having fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Depends on the game though. If it's new 'Not get my rear end kicked, figure out how it works' is good enough.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Merauder posted:

This to me is a common argument that I think has a major flaw: the two are not mutually exclusive. You're not EITHER playing to win OR having fun; for some (most?) people, playing to win IS having fun.

In fact, I would go as far as to argue if your game is not fun to play to win, you haven't really made a good game. This is not to say that not winning is not fun, but if your game has a victory condition, striving to achieve it should not be contrary to enjoying the experience. This feels reasonable to me.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Race for the Galaxy AI is kicking my rear end most of the time. At least I'm sort of getting better. :shepicide:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Characteristics of Games - Page 176 posted:

Note that we do not include fun as an item in the above list [of in-game rewards], because the term is too broad to be useful as a specific reward category. For us, the term fun is simply a casual synonym for enjoyment or in-game reward. If a game is said to be "fun," the question to ask is "in what way?" - that is, what rewards is the game offering?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I enjoy playing games because I like figuring out systems and applying thought/strategy to Those rules. Winning isn't important; having a set of rules where my skill makes a difference does.

Playing to win is what you should be doing if you are playing a competitive game. That doesn't mean you have to be an isufferable twat doing so, which is what most people mean when they say "playing to win".

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Characteristics of Games is a fun read

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Crackbone posted:

I enjoy playing games because I like figuring out systems and applying thought/strategy to Those rules. Winning isn't important; having a set of rules where my skill makes a difference does.

Playing to win is what you should be doing if you are playing a competitive game. That doesn't mean you have to be an isufferable twat doing so, which is what most people mean when they say "playing to win".

So the housing shortage Monopoly strategy... is that winning by being an insufferable twat? What makes that a valid or not valid strategy? Same question for other games, where a winning strategy can also ruin the game for others or devolve into a slog.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The Race for the Galaxy AI is kicking my rear end most of the time. At least I'm sort of getting better. :shepicide:

I have only been able to beat this thing a few times, but I think it was only luck :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Merauder posted:

Nah, its not "play to win vs play for fun", that was never the idea. Its "play to win and have fun winning" versus "play just to enjoy the game with your friends and have fun at the outcome".

This is why Magic has concepts for different player types, the old Timmy, Spike, Johnny.

If you only play as a Spike you're missing out IMO. I'm not saying don't play as a Spike ever, I'm just saying try to also play other ways on occasion.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

In fact, I would go as far as to argue if your game is not fun to play to win, you haven't really made a good game. This is not to say that not winning is not fun, but if your game has a victory condition, striving to achieve it should not be contrary to enjoying the experience. This feels reasonable to me.

This is also a misunderstanding. Nobody is saying the game is un-fun when played to win but fun when you play to intentionally lose or something.

Like, consider a game of pictionary with friends. You can definitely play it to win it, but you can enjoy it and have a good time even if you're just playing to see what happens and not really caring if you win or lose, and most people aren't exactly practicing strategies in-between rounds or games.

Some goons are going to say that makes pictionary an inherently bad game, but I disagree. Fun party games like ugg tect aren't about finding the optimal play strategy, they're about goofy good times.

unpronounceable posted:

Note that we do not include fun as an item in the above list [of in-game rewards], because the term is too broad to be useful as a specific reward category. For us, the term fun is simply a casual synonym for enjoyment or in-game reward. If a game is said to be "fun," the question to ask is "in what way?" - that is, what rewards is the game offering?

Yeah that's kinda what I'm getting at. Multiple types of fun. Winning and getting good is a definite type of fun (Spike) but there's other funs too.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 5, 2016

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Bottom Liner posted:

So the housing shortage Monopoly strategy... is that winning by being an insufferable twat? What makes that a valid or not valid strategy? Same question for other games, where a winning strategy can also ruin the game for others or devolve into a slog.

I think we call that a badly designed/play-tested game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bottom Liner posted:

Properly designed games shouldn't devolve into a slog if one or more players play the game using a specific strategy. It's why setting time limits on games is good design: Agricola with how the actions work, or Dungeon Lords with the seasons, or Through the Ages with its market row.

If the game has direct conflict, or the potential to make moves that are detrimental to someone else, this also depends on how the game is designed, but I would still contest that all strategies should be open for exploration. Being an insufferable twat for me is an attitude problem and not necessarily a 'how you play the game' problem. Mostly because I don't mind someone completely shafting me in a game, as long as he's not a dick about it.

The best example is when i had that TTA game where the actions of a player made me concede. The guy apologised about it and I was like "no dude, that was the strategically correct option".

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I was with you until this,

Zaphod42 posted:

If you only play as a Spike you're missing out IMO.

Where once again I have to say that it's a false dichotomy to say so, and it's unfair to Spike players to presume that they would have more fun if they branched out and played a game in ways they aren't naturally inclined to. I come from a TCG background specifically so I have a lot of opinion on this topic, since so many players (especially in local-level environments) do seem to vilify "spikes" or people who play competitively by shouting "This is just for fun, geez! Why are you trying so hard?!". For them, they have fun playing to win, and are not wrong in doing so.

You're right that there are some game experiences which are in fact just intended to illicit a positive reaction from people win or lose, but taking your example of Pictionary, if someone were playing it with a competitive bent and were in fact actively trying to win and felt disappointed if they lost, they wouldn't be "missing out on a better experience" by not just "letting go and having a good time". They'd be completely in their rights to feel disappointed.

I think Crackbone might be more on track by saying that people often interchange "playing to win" with "being a competitive douchebag", where which there is definitely a difference.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

In general:

A) A strategy that prevents other players from participating in a game makes you a twat. There's no bright line on this, but land destruction in MtG is a classic example. However:
B) Game with "total player shutdown" strategies are bad games, because that means they didn't make a good set of rules. So don't play them.
C) If A) and B) don't apply, then go hog wild. If the players complain, they're stupid doo-doo heads who need to get gud or stop being so thin skinned about losing.

Merauder posted:

I think Crackbone might be more on track by saying that people often interchange "playing to win" with "being a competitive douchebag", where which there is definitely a difference.
Yup, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Bottom Liner posted:

IMO if winning the game by any means makes the game unfun for the other people playing, it's a symptom of Bad Game. Although to an extent any zero-sum game with player interaction involves one person winning via another's losing, you should be able to enjoy yourself even while losing. A lot of times this takes the form of catchup mechanisms or obfuscating the scoring of the game so that it's less certain who the winner is until the game is over. Basically as long as the losing player thinks that they still have a chance, even just a small chance or even just the chance to not come in last, it can remain fun.