Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bast Relief posted:

Yay it's VALENTINES!!!

God drat this country makes me hate all celebrations and holidays.

Anyway, don't really watch TV or movies, but I do listen to free Pandora, and let me tell you, Shane Co. has got some diamonds for your whooooo-er of a girlfriend/wife. One add is a chick getting miffed at lingerie as a gift, so naturally, you dumb idiot, diamonds! The other add is a girl telling her boyfriend, explicitly "we're not going all the way" without something better than hockey tickets, which he thought was a great V-day gift.

How about no gifts ever? You dumb people don't deserve to be loved.

Glad me and the bf don't do this poo poo.

ETA: WWED? (What would Enrique do?)

Actually Enrique does all of my gift shopping and love making for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Last Chance posted:

LOL if you don't have Enrique gently caress your genitals before you go to bed.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Captain Monkey posted:

I don't know how I can so completely agree with a post yet be completely and utterly irritated by the person posting it.
This means I successfully communicated how these adds made me feel.

V Thank you V

Bast Relief has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Feb 4, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bast Relief posted:

Yay it's VALENTINES!!!

Anyway, don't really watch TV or movies, but I do listen to free Pandora, and let me tell you, Shane Co. has got some diamonds for your whooooo-er of a girlfriend/wife. One add is a chick getting miffed at lingerie as a gift, so naturally, you dumb idiot, diamonds! The other add is a girl telling her boyfriend, explicitly "we're not going all the way" without something better than hockey tickets, which he thought was a great V-day gift.

How about no gifts ever? You dumb people don't deserve to be loved.

Glad me and the bf don't do this poo poo.

ETA: WWED? (What would Enrique do?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKccr8g1xCU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I saw a DVD yesterday that was making a very poor comparison. It was for the movie June, about a Psychic Bullied girl and tried to compare itself on the box with Carrie, but in a way that didn't make sense. The tagline was "What is Carrie was an orphan?".

If Carrie was an orphan the movie would have had a much less depressing ending. She would have likely had a foster mother who was more stable than her actual mother and who may have actually given her the talk before the changing room fiasco. Even if that situation hadn't been resolved and Carrie had got angry enough to blow up the school, on returning home she would have been able to just run to her room and cry it out without her mother making it worse by trying to murder her. There may have been a few casualties at the school but Sue may have been able to talk her down afterwards after giving her some space.

Also there is a major difference in powers - Carrie's mother was wrong about her powers being evil, but June is literally possessed by a demon. Carrie didn't understand her powers and was afraid of her family, June fully understands them and wants them to go away, and wants a foster family (that the demon doesn't kill). It's just not a comparison that the movie should be making.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Non Serviam posted:

LOL if you don't have Enrique gently caress your genitals before you go to bed.

This post made much less sense when I signed in

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

This Enrique meme is great :allears: I know an Enrique. I can't help but think of him in all this.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

winterwerefox posted:

This Enrique meme is great :allears: I know an Enrique. I can't help but think of him in all this.

Lol if you don't have Enrique think about Enrique for you.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

BioEnchanted posted:

I saw a DVD yesterday that was making a very poor comparison. It was for the movie June, about a Psychic Bullied girl and tried to compare itself on the box with Carrie, but in a way that didn't make sense. The tagline was "What is Carrie was an orphan?".

If Carrie was an orphan the movie would have had a much less depressing ending. She would have likely had a foster mother who was more stable than her actual mother and who may have actually given her the talk before the changing room fiasco. Even if that situation hadn't been resolved and Carrie had got angry enough to blow up the school, on returning home she would have been able to just run to her room and cry it out without her mother making it worse by trying to murder her. There may have been a few casualties at the school but Sue may have been able to talk her down afterwards after giving her some space.

Also there is a major difference in powers - Carrie's mother was wrong about her powers being evil, but June is literally possessed by a demon. Carrie didn't understand her powers and was afraid of her family, June fully understands them and wants them to go away, and wants a foster family (that the demon doesn't kill). It's just not a comparison that the movie should be making.

It took me 3/4ths of the way through this before I realized I was thinking of Juno and was REALLY loving CONFUSED when you got to the bit about the demon.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

It took me 3/4ths of the way through this before I realized I was thinking of Juno and was REALLY loving CONFUSED when you got to the bit about the demon.

You don't remember the scene where her and the older guy are watching a movie together and she rips out his throat?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That was Hard Candy.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Last Chance posted:

Lol if you don't have Enrique cheer you on during your once-a-year hand beezy from your disinterested spouse

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Same, I thought I was really misremembering Juno.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Ah yes, the Shane Company ads, where an old fart tells you to buy jewelry for every possible occasion and how they buy directly from Antwerp and pass the savings on to you! I can recite it from memory: The Shane Company on State Street and 7200 South. Open Monday through Friday til 8, Saturday til 5, closed Sundays. I know it like I know the pledge of allegiance and the girl scouts pledge. But I doubt I'll ever go there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I hate adverts like that especially. It isn't just the insecurity angle their going after but the whole "you must bribe your girlfriend with expensive diamonds" side of it. It's like "hey your girlfriend will only gently caress you if she feels like you love her. If you spend too little money on her she'll think you don't love her. Thankfully we will generously let you buy our expensive things to show how much you care!"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Somfin posted:

Lol if you don't have Enrique cheer you on during your once-a-year hand beezy from your disinterested spouse

I just have Enrique shave his legs, put on stockings and suspenders, and bend over.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I just have Enrique shave his legs, put on stockings and suspenders, and bend over.

Well yes, every other day of the year. But Valentine's day is special, Tasteful Dickpic. I'd expect you to understand that.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Simply Simon posted:

I basically think Audi drivers are huge cockholes anyway (and I live in Germany, so we have a bunch more!)

This post and specifically that insult reminds me of the two foreign guys in Family Guy who are always saying things that are ever so slightly off from how a true 'Murican would speaka da English. Haha you crazy Germans you should learn proper 'Murican if you're going to post on the Internet since we invented it </jingoist>.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
What are you even talking about, mashing together 2 random words for an insult is like, basic Internet flaming.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RagnarokAngel posted:

What are you even talking about, mashing together 2 random words for an insult is like, basic Internet flaming.

Oh yeah? That’s what a discombobulated chair would say.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I thought mashing together two random words was how you're supposed to name an English pub

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Mashing two words together is just how we Germans talk. You ever heard of Schadenfreude (damagejoy)? Kindergarten (childrengarden)? Volldeppen (AllAmericans)?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
hey, kein Volldeppen :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bast Relief posted:

Yay it's VALENTINES!!!

Anyway, don't really watch TV or movies, but I do listen to free Pandora, and let me tell you, Shane Co. has got some diamonds for your whooooo-er of a girlfriend/wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC7hZY3sVxE

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Potato Alley posted:

This post and specifically that insult reminds me of the two foreign guys in Family Guy who are always saying things that are ever so slightly off from how a true 'Murican would speaka da English. Haha you crazy Germans you should learn proper 'Murican if you're going to post on the Internet since we invented it </jingoist>.

A cockhole is a thing; sorry you had to find out about your undiagnosed phimosis like this.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Lagomorphic posted:

Most people don't parse lyrics beyond just getting the jist of the chorus and ad people know this.
I'll bet that a sizable majority of people never knew that this song had lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3SzI92FDFo

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GWBBQ posted:

I'll bet that a sizable majority of people never knew that this song had lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3SzI92FDFo

I remember hearing that the band would get really angry when people would sing "Shampoo" instead of "Woohoo" during their concerts.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Feb 4, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Semisponge posted:

Ah yes, the Shane Company ads, where an old fart tells you to buy jewelry for every possible occasion and how they buy directly from Antwerp and pass the savings on to you! I can recite it from memory: The Shane Company on State Street and 7200 South. Open Monday through Friday til 8, Saturday til 5, closed Sundays. I know it like I know the pledge of allegiance and the girl scouts pledge.

Ooo, me too!

Now YOU have a friend in the diamond business! The Shane Company! In Cupertino, San Mateo, and Walnut Creek. Open weekdays 'till 8, Saturday and Sunday 'till 5, online at shane-co-dot-com.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

One thing I really don't like about Shane Co. ads and a bunch of other ads on radio is that they do these long, fake show commercials where someone "calls in" and complains that their spouse didn't buy them a diamond. gently caress man just tell me to buy your diamonds so I can go back to listening to my terrible music

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
This isn't a dumb move, per se, but Learnvest.com has a Spotify ad where it sounds like the microphone is planted behind Alexa von Tobel's uvula. It's almost ASMR-level mouth sounds, and it grosses me out.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

YeahTubaMike posted:

This isn't a dumb move, per se, but Learnvest.com has a Spotify ad where it sounds like the microphone is planted behind Alexa von Tobel's uvula. It's almost ASMR-level mouth sounds, and it grosses me out.

It's probably just a personal peeve but I hate Kit Kat bar commercials because I hate the sound effects of the people chomping into the bars. Like the "cchhaaooopptch" sound. Even though it's not loud, smacky, moist, globby chewing it still annoys me enough to mute the ad or change the channel. If I didn't like Kit Kats as much as I do the ads would have probably put me off of ever eating them anymore.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Puppy-monkey-baby.
Puppy-monkey-baby.
Puppy-monkey-baby.

:gonk:

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

It's probably just a personal peeve but I hate Kit Kat bar commercials because I hate the sound effects of the people chomping into the bars. Like the "cchhaaooopptch" sound. Even though it's not loud, smacky, moist, globby chewing it still annoys me enough to mute the ad or change the channel. If I didn't like Kit Kats as much as I do the ads would have probably put me off of ever eating them anymore.

That sound is the absolute worst. There was a kit-kat commercial a few months ago that played every single time you skipped a song on Pandora that was just an instrumental kit-kat jingle with the crunch at the end of every line. I started taking off my headphones every time I heard it start.

Itd be like if Campbell's made an ad of people just loudly slurping soup

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

ninjahedgehog posted:

Ooo, me too!

Now YOU have a friend in the diamond business! The Shane Company! In Cupertino, San Mateo, and Walnut Creek. Open weekdays 'till 8, Saturday and Sunday 'till 5, online at shane-co-dot-com.

The one that plays here at every commercial break on the radio is Mervis Diamond Importers. "Hi, I'm Ronnie Mervis, blah blah blah my family has imported diamonds for 3 generations blah blah blah South Africa blah blah. Nobody pays retail anymore, why should you?" and the phone number to reach them is 1-800-HERLOVE. Because whoever she is, you can buy her love with diamonds! :thumbsup:

The most common ad recently is this one, his "I was born and raised near the diamond mines of South Africa" one. All of his ads have strangely unbalanced background music (too loud, then too soft, or doesn't match the voiceover well). Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUupV65ShNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok_im6UAfw8

They have a whole channel of videos. How to choose a tennis bracelet, how to read a diamond certificate, etc. Riveting stuff!

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

sweeperbravo posted:

Agreed. I used to have pretty terrible TMJ, and occasionally I'd move my jaw wrong while chewing and hear an incredibly loud, disturbing crackling/tearing sound (which makes sense cuz your temporomandibular joint is right next to your ear canal), and it was basically exactly like the sound that they used in the Kit Kat bar commercials. So gross.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I feel like a lot of adds know not to have chewing or slurping sounds, most seem to go with the silverware clinking against the bowl/plate or the "empty straw" sound.

Of course Carl's Jr. Had to be different a few years ago and had an add that was just the sound of a guy chewing for 30 seconds straight. It had subtitles so we could understand how much he loved eating. Bleeeeugh. It was one of the few times is actually turn the commercials off.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Primetime posted:

That sound is the absolute worst. There was a kit-kat commercial a few months ago that played every single time you skipped a song on Pandora that was just an instrumental kit-kat jingle with the crunch at the end of every line. I started taking off my headphones every time I heard it start.

Itd be like if Campbell's made an ad of people just loudly slurping soup

Lol, oh god I remember that one. That may have been what finally made me break down and get Ad Block. Listening to my chill rear end music and then ting-ta-ting HARPF ting-ta-ting CHOMPF ting-ta-ting-ta-ting-ta-ting HOMFF CHERRHF CHORPF no thanks man I could put up with the other lovely ads but that just was the straw on the proverbial camel

Radio Help posted:

Agreed. I used to have pretty terrible TMJ, and occasionally I'd move my jaw wrong while chewing and hear an incredibly loud, disturbing crackling/tearing sound (which makes sense cuz your temporomandibular joint is right next to your ear canal), and it was basically exactly like the sound that they used in the Kit Kat bar commercials. So gross.

owwwwww uuuugghghhghg

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

sweeperbravo posted:

Lol, oh god I remember that one. That may have been what finally made me break down and get Ad Block.
You should get rid of adblock in favor of Ublock, which is the original product that receives regular updates. AdBlock is taking advertiser's money by not blocking their ads. It's also a blatantly stolen piece of software

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Nitrox posted:

AdBlock is taking advertiser's money by not blocking their ads.

Is that why it doesn't block Taboola, which is probably some of the worst advertising around anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cleretic posted:

Is that why it doesn't block Taboola, which is probably some of the worst advertising around anyway?

Not sure, probably. I dropped that piece of poo poo as soon as I learned about it