Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost

my cat is norris posted:

Ginger -- my crested gecko -- has had a flaky awful shed... :sigh:

Her first couple of sheds have gone so well, but this time she's got skin bits sticking all over, including on some of her toes. I've been doing my best to gently free her toes, but she's so twitchy and ticklish that I'm having a hard time. Any suggestions? Should I just let her keep a damp hide for a few days and hope things work themselves out?

You can try putting her in a tupperware container with a little bit of room temperature/warm water (or just use a wet paper towel) for 15 minutes or so to see if that loosens the skin up a bit, then gently try to rub it off with a q-tip. You can also put a lid on the container and spray the inside with water to trap more moisture, just leave a tiny corner cracked open for airflow. Usually that works if the shed's not stuck on there real bad, but you might need to try it a few times if it's not coming off.

Also, does anyone know of a reputable rosy boa breeder online? I'm only familiar with crested geckos, but I'd love to finally get a snake after I move. Everything I've read about rosy boas makes them sound super easy and chill. The only problem is no one in my area seems to breed or sell them since they aren't as popular as other snakes (and if there's a good reason for that or why they wouldn't make a good beginner snake, let me know!), so I'd probably be getting one shipped to me unless I luck out at a reptile show. I'd probably be just as happy with a corn snake or something, but the rosys are just way more appealing since I love their stripes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

my cat is norris posted:

Regarding ball pythons -- Salazar's eyes went all cloudy a week ago, but he hasn't started to shed yet. Is that normal? Is he being slow about it because of the time of year? Should we feed him, or wait until he's done getting rid of his skin?
Yes that's normal. Shedding always feels like it is taken longer than it should. And winter air is dry so keep the moisture level up.
I'm no expert but they often poop around the same time as shedding so you might as well wait, clean up after the shed and then feed.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you both very much!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Not Your Senorita posted:

Also, does anyone know of a reputable rosy boa breeder online? I'm only familiar with crested geckos, but I'd love to finally get a snake after I move. Everything I've read about rosy boas makes them sound super easy and chill. The only problem is no one in my area seems to breed or sell them since they aren't as popular as other snakes (and if there's a good reason for that or why they wouldn't make a good beginner snake, let me know!), so I'd probably be getting one shipped to me unless I luck out at a reptile show. I'd probably be just as happy with a corn snake or something, but the rosys are just way more appealing since I love their stripes.

You should get two, one male, one female. If no one is breeding them then it looks like there is a hole to fill in your local snake market.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I've been a herp owner for a year now

Here was Pliskin when I first picked him up

Here is a blurry picture as of a few moments ago.

He's really blown up in size lately, had to buy some larger hides last week as he was starting to poke out of his old ones

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
At the local reptile trade show. Would you guys like a trip report and pictures?

Tons of ball pythons and Geeckos here, also venomous snakes. Mostly Cobras and rattlesnakes.

Please don't buy venomous snakes.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yes! Pictures!

Also -- the recommended spa treatment for Ginger worked well. Her feet are (mostly) clear. Some bits still stuck on the bottom of her toes, but nothing surrounding her toes anymore.

I had a dream Thursday night that Salazar started shedding? Sure enough, I woke up on Friday, and he'd taken a giant poo poo and started casting off his skin. Unnnfortunately, like Ginger, he's having some trouble with the dry air of winter, so he's been getting spa treatments, too. Baths for all!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mappo posted:

At the local reptile trade show. Would you guys like a trip report and pictures?

Tons of ball pythons and Geeckos here, also venomous snakes. Mostly Cobras and rattlesnakes.

Please don't buy venomous snakes.
At my first trade show I was amazed at how many venomous were around for dirt cheap prices. My breeder friend explained that it's just because the market is very popular in theory but in actuality it's very small. Like, yeah you like reptiles and and you think you want to own a rattlesnake but when you're face to face with an animal that you can't do anything with besides showing it off to your friends for a couple weeks and after that you just have a very aggressive robot with venom fangs you have to feed and care for despite the fact that it hates you and you realize that no, you don't actually want to own a rattlesnake.

UnNethertrash
Jun 14, 2007
The Trashman Cometh
I have a BBQ grill cover that is decroded from the sun. I was about to throw it out when I found this guy hanging out inside:

It's about four inches long in the body (not including head), and at least six inches more in the tail. Looking at some pictures I'm guessing it's a California alligator lizard. I don't want it living on my patio because my dogs may bother it. Anything I should do with it other than relocate it into some bushes on a nearby street? I don't want to hurt it by moving it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It wants to be in rocky open or shrubby terrain where there are lots of shady hidey spots and also lots of sunny warm basking spots, and lots of bugs to eat. You can just gently relocate it and it'll be fine, or possibly be food for some animal, but that's the circle of life.

UnNethertrash
Jun 14, 2007
The Trashman Cometh
Cool. There isn't anything rocky around, but the bushes will at least have lots of bugs and hiding spots. Thanks!

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well. I started with one royal python and not too much later now I have two royals, a crested gecko and two leopard geckos.. and I'm starting to really want a hognose. Why are these unaffectionate small dinosaurs and grump-ropes so addictive?

Hognoses aren't total assholes right? I've seen them puff and hood and fake strike, but that doesn't mean they're completely unable to be handled, does it? I can't get over how perpetually pissed off they look, they're ridiculously cute.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
How can little snakes survive without food? I have a three month year old variable kingsnake who hasn't eaten in about 4 weeks. Is he just going through a phase and will eat when it gets warmer out? I'm feeding frozen then thawed pinkies, but he just completely ignores them.

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER

dog days are over posted:

Well. I started with one royal python and not too much later now I have two royals, a crested gecko and two leopard geckos.. and I'm starting to really want a hognose. Why are these unaffectionate small dinosaurs and grump-ropes so addictive?

Hognoses aren't total assholes right? I've seen them puff and hood and fake strike, but that doesn't mean they're completely unable to be handled, does it? I can't get over how perpetually pissed off they look, they're ridiculously cute.

Depends on the hognose's personality, but the vast majority of them are perfectly fine to be handled. They'll huff and puff in their cages but take them out and they're back to normal. Mine was very cage defensive for a month or two when I got him but now he doesn't even bluff when I go to pick him up. He'll just look at me, or actively want to come out. I loving love hogs and you should definitely get one!

Also my hognose had his first birthday yesterday, it was a production.

A Scary Little Dog fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 15, 2016

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

dog days are over posted:

Everyone else says they're okay, but I've never met one that didn't act like a total shithead.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Everyone else says they're okay, but I've never met one that didn't act like a total shithead.

My first pair, the female was insane but the male was chill.

My new baby pair, both of them go balls to the wall crazy whenever they hear the cage open, and both lash around and loving fly out of the tank asap to get the mouse. More than once they are on their drat backs, like playing dead, for a second before they Sonic-speed across the tank, mouth wide open. I have no goddamn idea.

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER

Cowslips Warren posted:

My first pair, the female was insane but the male was chill.

My new baby pair, both of them go balls to the wall crazy whenever they hear the cage open, and both lash around and loving fly out of the tank asap to get the mouse. More than once they are on their drat backs, like playing dead, for a second before they Sonic-speed across the tank, mouth wide open. I have no goddamn idea.

Holy poo poo. Now it feels like I'm missing out on the true hognose experience because mine is chill and surprisingly tolerant of my idiocy.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

VaultAggie posted:

How can little snakes survive without food? I have a three month year old variable kingsnake who hasn't eaten in about 4 weeks. Is he just going through a phase and will eat when it gets warmer out? I'm feeding frozen then thawed pinkies, but he just completely ignores them.

So long as he's not losing weight, a very long time. Several months, at least. He's probably just going through a winter phase but I would offer a live pinky and see if that sparks his interest. Also double check your temps and make sure it's still warm enough for him.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Absolutely ridiculous animal. I want one :3:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Uh... I had some ask if we sold baby mice for his beardie. Then, when I said all we had were frozen pinkies/fuzzies/ hoppers, he asked how big our mice were.

I thought beardies only ate bugs?

Then someone called and asked if we bought cats. Wtf.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Uh... I had some ask if we sold baby mice for his beardie. Then, when I said all we had were frozen pinkies/fuzzies/ hoppers, he asked how big our mice were.

I thought beardies only ate bugs?

Then someone called and asked if we bought cats. Wtf.

It's fine to give beardies a pinkie every now and again. The Really big beardies are fine to have a peach fuzzy, even. You just don't want to give them on the regular.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Do you just sort of thaw them as usual and then just chuck it in there and keep an eye on it? Been meaning to give our beardie a pinkie for a while as our snakes have progressed to fuzzies. She's seven months or so, too young or?

Got a four year old male corn snake the other day as a friend's son couldn't keep him any more. Got him warmed up and set up in his tank and he looks so drat goofy when he eats I wish I'd taken a photo. Four snakes now, said that's the lot until we move now, our spare room is basically a reptile room now and I want the remaining space to set up a little den for myself damnit,

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

happyflurple posted:

Do you just sort of thaw them as usual and then just chuck it in there and keep an eye on it? Been meaning to give our beardie a pinkie for a while as our snakes have progressed to fuzzies. She's seven months or so, too young or?

Got a four year old male corn snake the other day as a friend's son couldn't keep him any more. Got him warmed up and set up in his tank and he looks so drat goofy when he eats I wish I'd taken a photo. Four snakes now, said that's the lot until we move now, our spare room is basically a reptile room now and I want the remaining space to set up a little den for myself damnit,

You can feed beardies live pinks or small fuzzies. It's not like they'll fight back and injure the beardie.

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
Welp my male hognose finally ate. It's been 5 months. He wasn't losing weight or anything but it's still at the very least annoying to offer the food and fight with him and have him get cranky at me every couple of weeks. Didn't even need a trick like scenting or putting him in food prison, I just offered him my Kenyan sand boa's pinky mouse and he grabbed it. Normally he eats fuzzies but since I got the baby sand boa I've been trying pinkies so as not to waste uneaten mice. Now he's cruising around looking mad and I'm so loving happy.

It's amazing how long these little shits can go without eating, honestly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

A Scary Little Dog posted:

Welp my male hognose finally ate. It's been 5 months. He wasn't losing weight or anything but it's still at the very least annoying to offer the food and fight with him and have him get cranky at me every couple of weeks. Didn't even need a trick like scenting or putting him in food prison, I just offered him my Kenyan sand boa's pinky mouse and he grabbed it. Normally he eats fuzzies but since I got the baby sand boa I've been trying pinkies so as not to waste uneaten mice. Now he's cruising around looking mad and I'm so loving happy.

It's amazing how long these little shits can go without eating, honestly.

I just move my corn snake, Spaghetti, up to fuzzies and I was freaking out last meal over how big it was in comparison to him the exact same way I freaked out when I gave him his first pinkie after bringing him home. Being a snake dad is crazy.

EDIT: Are there any pretty hognoses? I like their cute faces, but for my second snake, I want something a little more colorful.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
The prettiest one I've seen was this gorgeous red morph at Tinley Park in October. Sadly couldn't buy it as discussed before. Hopefully figure out a way to get one next month.

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER

Soonmot posted:

EDIT: Are there any pretty hognoses? I like their cute faces, but for my second snake, I want something a little more colorful.

There definitely are, though prices vary, obviously. On the cheaper end, I like the anerys (like mine) and albinos, especially extreme red albinos:

I love the snows and pastel or coral pinks:

Anacondas and supercondas are pricey but an interesting pattern morph:

I've seen a couple of leucistics around, which is really exciting. I want one in the future:

Anyway I'll stop rambling on, but there's lots of different hognose morphs, not just these! They've got more neat morphs in Europe but I'm not very familiar, sadly. Here's the phoenix morph I just learned about literally 5 minutes ago.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks all!!

Quezacotl
Aug 5, 2006

I'm an atheist. Deal with it.

Quezacotl posted:

So a while ago I posted in this thread about maybe getting a bearded dragon. In early May I went and did just that. Heres a picture of him in early May when I first got him.

And here's a picture of him today.

I just thought I'd give an update

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
so my female ball python hasn't eaten in 5 weeks, what should I do? at first I was told that it's a normal thing for them to not be as hungry during the winter/during a shed. But she's losing weight, her shed's over, and I'm getting concerned. at what point do i force feed?

she's always been fed live mice/rats, never been able to get her to eat a frozen one. right now she just acts really disinterested in food, which has never been a problem with her in the past. current routine is i dim the bathroom lights and feed her in the bathtub.

she is about 13-14 years old, do they just do this when they're old?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

so my female ball python hasn't eaten in 5 weeks, what should I do? at first I was told that it's a normal thing for them to not be as hungry during the winter/during a shed. But she's losing weight, her shed's over, and I'm getting concerned. at what point do i force feed?

she's always been fed live mice/rats, never been able to get her to eat a frozen one. right now she just acts really disinterested in food, which has never been a problem with her in the past. current routine is i dim the bathroom lights and feed her in the bathtub.

she is about 13-14 years old, do they just do this when they're old?

5 weeks is no big deal. Big adults can go for months without eating with no ill effects. Just be patient and don't worry unless she starts losing a lot of weight.

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Quezacotl posted:

I just thought I'd give an update

That's a fine lookin' tank potato you got there. :allears:

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Do you goons use apps to track the weight and length and feeding of your herps? I know they're out there but I'd rather not pay through the nose for one. Reptile Logger is highly recommended but I can't find the Android APK online anywhere. Some folks use pen and paper, which I might, but having things stored cloud-wise could end up being helpful.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

If anyone wants to make a public comment regarding the ban on salamander imports and interstate trade, the comment period ends in 24 hours. It's not unreasonable to imagine that they might go after snake keepers next, given the snake fungal disease and their ties to anti-pet organizations in writing this rule.

https://www.federalregister.gov/art...us#open-comment

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
So last month I saw someone selling a few Sumatran short tail pythons, something I've wanted for a long time, and for several hundred dollars cheaper than anywhere else. I had to take this opportunity, since it's pretty rare to see these guys in Canada. I consider it my birthday present to me. :v:

Anyway, his name is Hector and he's a skinny little baby right now. I greatly await his growth into a big poop-filled sausage child.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

He's a very handsome snake!

I feel like Ginger's shedding every other week. Geckos grow fast.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Scary Little Dog posted:

poop-filled sausage child

When I had no snakes, I thought they did little runny poops. Now I am wiser.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:kimchi:

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Left an elderly friend in charge of our reptiles etc last week while we went on holiday, he's had no problems before but recently he's been getting forgetful to a degree that worried me. When we got back I quickly realised our new 4ft corn snake had gone walkies. Found him behind the bloody oven, good job I didn't get straight home and put a pizza on like I'd intended to. Friend swears he had no idea he had escaped so all I can think is he left the lid off the tank while changing the water and failed to notice there was no snake when he returned. Beardie was black and angry looking too, but soon turned back to orange and sweet as gently caress once we got her out and is now spending her time the way nature intended: fat and ridiculous. Have insisted we ask my girlfriend's friend next time who is a super organised teacher sort who loves animals, but will be boarding the beardie regardless.

Seriously though, there is nothing like the creeping panic as you're sweeping through your snake's tank and realising that the snake has hosed off on his holidays. Furious didn't cover it.

In happier news, my baby corn snake shed entirely in one piece for the first time yesterday, I was so proud. Also, a question! We have a garter snake, it is literally Hitler. The guy at the reptile shop, much to my chagrin, suggested we get another to calm it down as they're communal creatures. Is this a good idea? I see the reasoning behind it but also I hate having one loving horrible snake so having two gives me pause for thought and the idea they might breed is just too much. All it does it fling itself at the sides of its tank when you go near it and musk the gently caress out of you.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Iirc garter snakes are one of the few kinds of reptiles you can keep communally without too much issue, but I don't know if that will help versus just more socialization in general. If it's in a main room, maybe put it in a darker/calmer room? Sucks that's happening, had one garter snake once who was wild caught but still super calm somehow.