Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

They've suffered from too much success. Now they're going down the Amazon route of hosting resellers and they advertise shoes and poo poo.

I miss my technology driven geek store.

This. So annoying to search for things on there. Also gently caress the free "eggsaver" shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't forget their "oh what you REALLY meant to search for was this.." results if you enter a model number that doesn't exist as typed, but there's stuff in the database that's sort of close.

Just tell me "nothing was found" you jerks.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: everyone I've ever worked with who lives on the West Coast apparently doesn't realize this thing called "time zones".

1. They never specify the timezone when they provide a time. Because the world revolves around California, clearly all time zones should just assume their time zone.
2. They are rarely if ever at any meetings before 9am PST, but they are happy to schedule meetings well after 6pm PST without so much as a "I know it's a bit late your time, but would you mind...". I don't mind working late, but I've never worked with a West Coaster who was willing to start early.

</gripe>

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off: everyone I've ever worked with who lives on the West Coast apparently doesn't realize this thing called "time zones".

1. They never specify the timezone when they provide a time. Because the world revolves around California, clearly all time zones should just assume their time zone.
2. They are rarely if ever at any meetings before 9am PST, but they are happy to schedule meetings well after 6pm PST without so much as a "I know it's a bit late your time, but would you mind...". I don't mind working late, but I've never worked with a West Coaster who was willing to start early.

</gripe>

Because if I wanted to start early, I wouldn't have moved away from the East Coast and would also have a bunch of suits and ties in my closet. And a giant stick up my rear end.

Scheduling meetings after 6 (hell, 5) though, that poo poo's not OK. Guess I'm lucky not to have encountered it too much though I've heard of it.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Potato Alley posted:

Because if I wanted to start early, I wouldn't have moved away from the East Coast and would also have a bunch of suits and ties in my closet. And a giant stick up my rear end.

Scheduling meetings after 6 (hell, 5) though, that poo poo's not OK. Guess I'm lucky not to have encountered it too much though I've heard of it.

They don't have lives outside work, and with traffic they're not getting home until 8 if they leave at 6 or 7, so why should you?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

:3:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

2. They are rarely if ever at any meetings before 9am PST, but they are happy to schedule meetings well after 6pm PST

The easiest way around this in my experience is to say "I'm in Europe, there's no way that I am going to be attending, yet alone useful at, a meeting at 2AM my time" (only works if you're in Europe though!)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

NewEgg has the world's worst customer service

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

They've suffered from too much success. Now they're going down the Amazon route of hosting resellers and they advertise shoes and poo poo.

I miss my technology driven geek store.

It really is just awful. Just got off the phone with them and think I finally have it cleared up. The guy kept repeating over and over that he didnt have a record of that serial number on the device ever being in their inventory. I finally got pissed and said if they never had they were never able to send it to me and thus I wouldnt pay it and hung up. Just got an email with a new RMA number saying it had been accepted and the money was refunded so :shrug:

Potato Alley posted:

Yeah why use Newegg for corporate procurement? If you're going to go with not-an-enterprise-reseller Amazon's probably better. And frankly other than things like buying Cisco switches for half off (albeit with no warranty time left), Amazon's probably not the best choice - going through an enterprise reseller is probably better because your time is not worth the potential savings generally, and places like CDW/Ingram/whoever have better customer service. Theoretically.

Doesn't apply for stupid poo poo like mice and keyboards of course, get yourself an Amazon Business account and you can set up your peons with spending limits and order approval process, but for major purchases there are reasons these resellers are still around, because IT has enough annoying poo poo to deal with without adding purchasing nightmares to the list.

Does Amazon do PO ordering now? If they do I will totally switch over. The only reason I use Newegg when I have to over CDW is that they tend to be cheaper for little one off things I need.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Potato Alley posted:

I own one suit.

I do have a bunch of ties though, it's fun to have options!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Inspector_666 posted:

I own one suit.

I do have a bunch of ties though, it's fun to have options!

I hate dress codes in general. I don't interact with anyone outside the company, ever. Why the gently caress do I need to wear something more than a good tshirt and jeans to work? All wearing dress clothes does is distract me with being uncomfortable, because gently caress you if you think I'm going to spend a bunch of money for clothes for work that I don't even want to be wearing.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Potato Alley posted:

Preach on my brother. Testify!

West Coast best coast and

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

</gripe>

google calendar adjusts for timezones automatically

also who the hell is up at 9am let alone at the office? I actually had someone apologize for scheduling a meeting as early as 9.30am, but that was the only time a room was available.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

luminalflux posted:

google calendar adjusts for timezones automatically

So does Outlook. Too bad it doesn't guess from am email body. "Let's meet at 4:30!"

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

luminalflux posted:

also who the hell is up at 9am let alone at the office?

Me?

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
I was once known as "THE Timezone guy" because we were working with someone in the UK, and I was able to add or subtract 8 hours in my head. Everyone was astounded that I could actually think in 24-hour time as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

luminalflux posted:

also who the hell is up at 9am let alone at the office? I actually had someone apologize for scheduling a meeting as early as 9.30am, but that was the only time a room was available.

Me. 6 AM to 2(ish) PM because gently caress rush hour from Lincolnshire to Glenn Ellyn with one viable route. I'll take meetings until 4PM or so at home here and there, but honestly Outlook Scheduling Assistant is there for a reason. Any later and you're out of luck my PST friend. If you need me to make decisions before your project can proceed, set up meetings that are convenient for BOTH of us.

And gently caress late afternoon meetings on Fridays & n any timezone. With splintery pole. That's just plain sociopathic.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

</gripe>

I've made this exact same rant. Except in reverse. loving East Coast people make me wake up at 6 AM.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ynglaur posted:

</gripe>

East Coast is the same. 0900 conference call is at 0600 out here..."Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize..." gently caress you New York and your EST privilege.

e:fb

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

East Coast is the same. 0900 conference call is at 0600 out here..."Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize..." gently caress you New York and your EST privilege.

e:fb

The difference is that EST is the one true timezone.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I hate dress codes in general. I don't interact with anyone outside the company, ever. Why the gently caress do I need to wear something more than a good tshirt and jeans to work? All wearing dress clothes does is distract me with being uncomfortable, because gently caress you if you think I'm going to spend a bunch of money for clothes for work that I don't even want to be wearing.

My office doesn't have any dress code at all aside from "If you have to ask 'Is this appropriate?' it probably isn't", I just think it's funny how people think every single job in NYC requires you to wear a suit at all times.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 5, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

You're going to spend 40-50 hours per week in that kind of clothes. Longer if you don't change out after work. Put the effort into buying something that fits and doesn't scratch like crazy, it will be comfortable. If clothes aren't comfortable it means they don't fit right or they're 30 ounce denim like some weirdos wear.

E:

Ynglaur posted:

</gripe>

"I'm sorry, but 9PM is my bedtime, so I won't be able to attend your 10PM meeting."

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 5, 2016

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Try coordinating meetings with the office in Australia...

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Manslaughter posted:

One-up time:

We try to have meetings with our global team. Try getting Seattle, Europe and Singapore in on a time that is acceptable to all participants.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Manslaughter posted:

We're so lucky as to have people in 18 time zones, and we're not a big company.

We have one office in New York, we're on the west coast, we've got an office in Australia and then we have either sales or support staff spread all over the world.

Time zones are hard evidently. I try to explain to people that 2pm for us is 8am tomorrow morning in Australia and it breaks their brains. These are smart people... this for some reason, is beyond them.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Time zone chat.

Last job I worked was a super lovely, pants on head retarded Indian consulting firm and the head Principal Consultant insisted that we do daily standups with the development team in India on their time.

Which meant that in addition to working my regular 8-5 hours, I got to sit on a nightly call at 8pm for an hour.

As a principal consultant myself the pay was pretty good, but no cash in the world was worth that souls crushing heartbreak.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Agrikk posted:

Time zone chat.

Last job I worked was a super lovely, pants on head retarded Indian consulting firm and the head Principal Consultant insisted that we do daily standups with the development team in India on their time.

Which meant that in addition to working my regular 8-5 hours, I got to sit on a nightly call at 8pm for an hour.

As a principal consultant myself the pay was pretty good, but no cash in the world was worth that souls crushing heartbreak.

your standup was an hour? If it was a real standup it should have been like 15minutes, maybe 20-30 when really busy poo poo was goin down and you don't want to have a second meeting.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'm taking some Windows Server classes at my local community college. I've been really enjoying them so far, but there's been a few things about the class that really bug me.

We were finishing up a lab about disk management and RAID today, here are the last few sections.

I- Recovery from a RAID 5 Disk Failure

J- Mounting a VHD File in Disk Management and Modifying an Operating System

K- Booting a Virtual Operating System Natively from a VHD file

L- Create a Boot Floppy for Server 2012 and Windows 8

I love the instructor, he's extremely enthusiastic about the material and cares about his students, but he really needs to stop trying to force floppies into his labs. We had USB flash drives available, but no, we used floppies and USB 3.5" diskette drives.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

MF_James posted:

your standup was an hour? If it was a real standup it should have been like 15minutes, maybe 20-30 when really busy poo poo was goin down and you don't want to have a second meeting.

I think we've established in this thread that all that bad bosses take from Agile is ":byodood:Daily meetings!"

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Hey Mr. Coworker, could you please arrive in the 21st century? There is absolutely no need to print out a screenshot of an error message to hand me. What do you mean, you don't know how to save it? Oh, you never needed it in the past 11 years of you working in IT? :negative:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sprechensiesexy posted:

We try to have meetings with our global team. Try getting Seattle, Europe and Singapore in on a time that is acceptable to all participants.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html :eng101:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I live and work in Japan and most of my team is in Montreal. Love those weekly 10PM (or 10:30 because my dumb son won't go to sleep) meetings. Seriously, I do. I'm the only person on my team in my location and the isolation is draining my sanity :sludgepal:.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

flosofl posted:

And gently caress late afternoon meetings on Fridays & n any timezone. With splintery pole. That's just plain sociopathic.

One of the things currently pissing me off is dealing with a cloud-file-sharing vendor that was chosen by a new COO at one of our big clients, i.e. the solution was shoved down our throats to fix issues that we basically had advised them for years on how to fix but they didn't want to spend the money, oh but new COO comes in and sure $50k per year for this solution is suddenly discovered to exist from somewhere (NO PROBLEM GOOD THING I CAME IN TO SAVE THE DAY SINCE YOU GUYS CLEARLY COULDN'T FIX THIS :smug:), and in the past 6 months I've been on about 20 conference calls with their various product managers. Today we even got a vice president or two on the line. The calls started off as them trying to keep us happy because we were complaining about the shortcomings in their product, but it's turned into 100% just sheer product development with us (me, specifically) straight up advising them on "this is what you should have in your product to make it actually a good solution" and I'm getting pretty loving sick and tired of giving them a shitload of free advice, and now beta testing, to fix the issues in their product that they should have thought of when they started the company and product in the first place.

But that's not the point, the point is that for a few months they kept calling me unannounced on Friday at 5 PM to discuss various issues that were popping up. I think they finally got the hint the sixth or seventh time I drunkenly answered with the noise of a loud bar in the background because Friday at FOUR pm is happy hour and gently caress you if you expect me to do anything after that. As to why I kept answering, it was because A) I didn't give a poo poo if they knew I was talking to them drunk, because THEY were calling ME, and B) they clearly were the type of startup where everyone works their rear end off until 10 PM every day and twice on weekends and I almost reveled in demonstrating simply by the background noise that there is such a thing as work-life balance, even in the Bay Area.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Sprechensiesexy posted:

One-up time:

Sounds like it's time for some international business travel.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Potato Alley posted:

because Friday at FOUR pm is happy hour and gently caress you if you expect me to do anything after that.
This is the most important thing I've learned about working in IT.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I love my GM (he's one of the reasons I stuck around at this job). He schedule meetings at 4:00 all the time, mainly because he knows everyone wants to go home and no one will waste time to prolong the meeting. When a meeting goes off the rails he steers it back and make sure that there's no bike shedding.

Potato Alley posted:

Friday at FOUR pm is happy hour and gently caress you if you expect me to do anything after that. .

In IT, most the day entirely pivots on four o'clock. Either you do nothing all day, and then at four you rush to finish an entire day's work, or you work until four, and then coast unit you go home.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 5, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Quote is not edit

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if you call after lunch on Friday there better be flames involves otherwise we're not loving looking at it

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I gave a user a firewall to take home with her with giant labels on it with the IT department's phone line and email address.

She's apparently having issues and who does she call and email? Me, personally. gently caress off, I'm not the only one who works here.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Oh bloody hell, there's a box of 11 Nokia Lumia 640's complete with accessories with my name on it, that I have to setup by Friday since there's going to be a big swap out for all the field reps phones.

I pop off an E-mail stating; Yo, are we buying some MDM or what as its going to suck major balls having these out in the wild. Last year I almost got them to buy into MaaS360 but they pulled out, is MS Intune or Mobile Enterprise any worth?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

beepsandboops posted:

I gave a user a firewall to take home with her with giant labels on it with the IT department's phone line and email address.

She's apparently having issues and who does she call and email? Me, personally. gently caress off, I'm not the only one who works here.

You talked to the user, you are now their lifelong tech support buddy.

Hasaple posted:

I'm taking some Windows Server classes at my local community college. I've been really enjoying them so far, but there's been a few things about the class that really bug me.

We were finishing up a lab about disk management and RAID today, here are the last few sections.

I- Recovery from a RAID 5 Disk Failure

J- Mounting a VHD File in Disk Management and Modifying an Operating System

K- Booting a Virtual Operating System Natively from a VHD file

L- Create a Boot Floppy for Server 2012 and Windows 8

Those seem a lot like the tasks back in the Windows 2003 test books. Floppies? Physical servers? What the heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Super Slash posted:

Oh bloody hell, there's a box of 11 Nokia Lumia 640's complete with accessories with my name on it, that I have to setup by Friday since there's going to be a big swap out for all the field reps phones.

I pop off an E-mail stating; Yo, are we buying some MDM or what as its going to suck major balls having these out in the wild. Last year I almost got them to buy into MaaS360 but they pulled out, is MS Intune or Mobile Enterprise any worth?

How many devices do you want to manage over all? There is a Meraki MDM which is very nice and is free for up to 100 devices. We are going to switch to that at work.