Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

alcaras posted:

So what's the "correct" way to build retinues, post-conclave?

All my archer love, I suppose, is gone with the wind...

Just build your cultural retinue, as long as it's not light infantry.

If your cultural retinue IS light infantry, build heavy infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

gfanikf posted:

Well I feel like an idiot. For the longest time I've never tried using the raiding feature, mostly because I though the loot option was different (and not playing pagans for a while), but now :getin:.

Looting owns, pillage 24/7.

Seriously I've been able to upgrade stuff like never before. Quick question, do you need galleys to loot?

Only if you're Germanic Pagan. Other religions can't do coastal raids - they can only raid direct neighbours. If you are Germanic pagan, then you can raid anywhere along the coast and the spoils will be stored in the galleys until you bring them home (they can only hold a certain amount of gold per boat, though, and you need to keep them parked in the ocean tile next to the province you're raiding for it to work).

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

One of my vassals, and bastard half-brother, just assassinated Glitterhoof so he could get a place on the council.

Games › Crusader Kings II: Conclave - That bastard just assassinated Chancellor Gliterhoof!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

When raiding neighbors as a Germanic pagan, do you get the prestige and gold? Or do you only get the prestige when you bring a gold-laden ship back to port?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Alright, so I've been playing as Dublin in the 769 start and I have half the island as tributaries. I'd like to form the duchy before my guy dies so I had the tributary there killed so I could press my fabricated claim on Kildare. Only problem is that the tributary status transferred to his kid and I still can't declare war. What do I have to do to press my claim on him?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Astroclassicist posted:

One of my vassals, and bastard half-brother, just assassinated Glitterhoof so he could get a place on the council.

Games › Crusader Kings II: Conclave - That bastard just assassinated Chancellor Gliterhoof!

He made you an offer you couldn't refuse.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Clanpot Shake posted:

When raiding neighbors as a Germanic pagan, do you get the prestige and gold? Or do you only get the prestige when you bring a gold-laden ship back to port?

Whenever the raid gold gets put into your little bank account thing, you get prestige equal to it.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Neighbor raiding is why as nomads I keep one separate horde that stays on a forever-tour of raiding along my borders. The spoils from that horde pays for the actual war horde made up of heavy cav and horse archers.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 4, 2016

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Steam sale where lots of CK2 DLC is 50% off? Goddamnit, I need to eat this month

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Only if you're Germanic Pagan. Other religions can't do coastal raids - they can only raid direct neighbours. If you are Germanic pagan, then you can raid anywhere along the coast and the spoils will be stored in the galleys until you bring them home (they can only hold a certain amount of gold per boat, though, and you need to keep them parked in the ocean tile next to the province you're raiding for it to work).

:siren: THIS IS WRONG! :siren:

I've seen this so often, but EVERY religion that can raid can do coastal raids. The only special mechanic with Germanic Pagans is their ability to sail down major rivers! You absolutely can do coastal raids as a Slavic, Romuva, Hindu, etc. character.

Of course, Germanic Pagans get shipyards for free with the start of the Viking Age, while everyone else will be hard pressed to afford the steep gold cost of the shipyard upgrade with the lovely tribal income and most likely equally poor tribes all around you.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

Of course, Germanic Pagans get shipyards for free with the start of the Viking Age, while everyone else will be hard pressed to afford the steep gold cost of the shipyard upgrade with the lovely tribal income and most likely equally poor tribes all around you.

The shipyards are tied to Norse culture, not Germanic religion as far as I know. It could be tied to both, but Norse culture I know is mandatory.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

The shipyards are tied to Norse culture, not Germanic religion as far as I know. It could be tied to both, but Norse culture I know is mandatory.

Right, I forgot. It's definitely at least tied to Norse culture, but it could be that you have to be Germanic or at least pagan as well. I think it even depends on the province culture. But I'm too lazy to look it up. Saxon don't get shipyards, and they are Germanic Pagans.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Torrannor posted:

:siren: THIS IS WRONG! :siren:

I've seen this so often, but EVERY religion that can raid can do coastal raids. The only special mechanic with Germanic Pagans is their ability to sail down major rivers! You absolutely can do coastal raids as a Slavic, Romuva, Hindu, etc. character.

Speaking of sailing up rivers, what exactly ends that ability? I understand it has something to do with the fort level of the counties at the river mouth, but I just tried yesterday to sail up a river that I own all of the counties along and it didn't let me (year is ~1200). Seems like I should be able to sail up rivers I own.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Clanpot Shake posted:

Speaking of sailing up rivers, what exactly ends that ability? I understand it has something to do with the fort level of the counties at the river mouth, but I just tried yesterday to sail up a river that I own all of the counties along and it didn't let me (year is ~1200). Seems like I should be able to sail up rivers I own.

I had that problem as well. It seems you cannot sail these rivers after a certain fort level is reached, even if you control them. :( I don't know if it's working as intended or just a bug.

By the way, this is an interesting read:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Raiding

CK2wiki posted:

Cultures, Religions and Government types which can raid

-Culture that allows raiding : Norse (not other North Germanic), all Altaic, Hungarians (Magyar), Nahua ("Aztec"; requires Ruler Designer for player characters and Sunset Invasion for AI characters).

-Religion : Hinduism, Germanic, Slavic, Tengri, Romuva, Suomenusko, West African, Aztec (including all reformed forms of these religions; requires relevant DLCs due to being non-Christian).

-Government : Tribal, Nomad (requires Horse Lords). If you're a vassal, the "government type" requirement checks both your government type and your liege's government type. Both must allow raiding; culture and religion can allow raiding in any form of government, independent or not.

For example, Catholic Norwegian Feudal cannot raid, but Catholic Norwegian Tribal, Germanic Norwegian Feudal and Catholic Norse Feudal can raid. Also, Anglo-Saxon tribes under the Petty Kingdom of Northumbria in 769 cannot raid unless they become independent, but Swedish Pagan tribes under the Catholic king of Sweden in 1066 can raid, provided they stay Pagan.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My heir conquered a bunch of Nomad land so I have some empty provinces. How can I give them away? The vassal who wants them isn't asking for them.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Conclave is rad but I wish the favors system went even further. Like if the Patriarch owes me one, why can't I cash that in by excommunicating someone?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least the AI is clever. I had almost crushed those uppity vassals that wanted EVEN MORE council power. The warscore was 96%, and my vassal made a peace offer. I of course immediately accepted their surrender without reading the message :downs:

Event log: The war ended: White Peace

:argh:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

My heir conquered a bunch of Nomad land so I have some empty provinces. How can I give them away? The vassal who wants them isn't asking for them.

If you aren't nomadic yourself, you need to build a holding there first before you can give it away.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Holy crap, I'm covered in gay kids. Why are so many of my kids turning gay??

Also, I'm going to have to remember to take screenshots of all my child-raising events now, because I've had two that I could SWEAR did the exact opposite of what the tooltips said they'd do.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 4, 2016

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Midnight Voyager posted:

Holy crap, I'm covered in gay kids. Why are so many of my kids turning gay??

From Reddit, apparently there's an event that has a pretty solid chance of turning the AI homosexual.

Steam screenshot

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero Gravitas posted:

Steam sale where lots of CK2 DLC is 50% off? Goddamnit, I need to eat this month

Just don't buy the ebooks....at least that's how I rationalized it.

Honky Dong Country posted:

Neighbor raiding is why as nomads I keep one separate horde that stays on a forever-tour of raiding along my borders. The spoils from that horde pays for the actual war horde made up of heavy cav and horse archers.

I like this idea!

Quick question how does ones non vassal soldiers increase and reconstitute (excluding tribal armies and special event armies)?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JFC, I noticed. You'd think it'd be weighted or something.

While I'm at it, dod they take out notifications for kids needing educators? I know they aren't terribly useful, but it's weird that the game just forgets they can be assigned.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Midnight Voyager posted:

JFC, I noticed. You'd think it'd be weighted or something.

While I'm at it, dod they take out notifications for kids needing educators? I know they aren't terribly useful, but it's weird that the game just forgets they can be assigned.

In a way, you don't really need to assign tutors anymore. There's an exception if you want to shift the culture and/or the religion of a kid, but otherwise it seems as if they game simply auto-assign suitable tutors.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Torrannor posted:

In a way, you don't really need to assign tutors anymore. There's an exception if you want to shift the culture and/or the religion of a kid, but otherwise it seems as if they game simply auto-assign suitable tutors.

It seems like an assigned tutor is different from an unassigned one though. My kids have Educators, and the Educator is me, but I don't have them as a "ward". If I assign myself as an educator, they are then made my ward.

I'm not clear on what the difference is here.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

jruderman posted:

The event you're looking at doesn't fire for all characters, though. The event chain starts with the hidden event ZE.13997 from on_adolescence_pulse.
ZE.13997 gives:
a 15% chance of ZE.13610 "romance at court", with 47% chance for AI to pick homosexual
a 15% chance of ZE.13700 "interesting dream", with 20% * 90% chance for AI to pick homosexual.
This gives a maximum chance of homosexual of just under 10%.
It's slightly lower than that, because the initial event won't trigger at all for characters who are ill or in_hiding at the time the event fires. Furthermore, the "dream" event requires an opposite-sex courtier (age 16-35) to be in the educator's court, so it won't fire if a boy(?) is being educated in a small court such as that of a bishop or mayor.
The initial event also won't trigger for characters generated as adults, which makes me wonder what conspiracy prevents gay characters from rising from obscurity.

So the best way to stop your kids from being gay is to make them sick and lock them up. Just like in real life

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

It seems like an assigned tutor is different from an unassigned one though. My kids have Educators, and the Educator is me, but I don't have them as a "ward". If I assign myself as an educator, they are then made my ward.

I'm not clear on what the difference is here.

Yeah I'm not sure either since I don't assign educators, even to myself, and I still get events related to their upbringing. Maybe if you assign an educator other than yourself before focuses are chosen then the educator will choose them?

gfanikf posted:

I like this idea!

Quick question how does ones non vassal soldiers increase and reconstitute (excluding tribal armies and special event armies)?

Was this question for me? Cause I don't understand it. I may or may not be a moron.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 4, 2016

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Torrannor posted:

I had that problem as well. It seems you cannot sail these rivers after a certain fort level is reached, even if you control them. :( I don't know if it's working as intended or just a bug.

I think it's meant to represent the permanency of the fortifications and development. Like you can't sail up the river if there's tons of big stone bridges across it, because the neighboring counties are too developed.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I started an ironman game as Matilda of Tuscany in 1066. Boring I know but I want it easy starting out with conclave.

So I just had a second son and I am still on gavelkind. Even with low centralization I am still over demesne limit, 7/6 and my only relatively strong vassal is the count of Parma and Corsica. The rest are lovely mayors I don't care about.

Should I change to elective and give away a county or two, or endure the malus from demesne too big? Or switch to seniority? I suppose keeping gavelkind is foolish since I plan to have more sons if possible...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
come on abbasid fall to poo poo you make me nervous sitting here next to you as zunbil

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

TorakFade posted:

I started an ironman game as Matilda of Tuscany in 1066. Boring I know but I want it easy starting out with conclave.

So I just had a second son and I am still on gavelkind. Even with low centralization I am still over demesne limit, 7/6 and my only relatively strong vassal is the count of Parma and Corsica. The rest are lovely mayors I don't care about.

Should I change to elective and give away a county or two, or endure the malus from demesne too big? Or switch to seniority? I suppose keeping gavelkind is foolish since I plan to have more sons if possible...

I'd go seniority if it were me.

^^^^^^And lol been there, poo poo's scary.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

^^^^^^And lol been there, poo poo's scary.

once the 769 caliph finally dies i wont be as worried since the lose all those tributaries but then im stuck in the middle of them too

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Was this question for me? Cause I don't understand it. I may or may not be a moron.
General question to everyone about troop levels, how do I increase my non vassal provided troops, the personal levies. I'm just trying to understand how the mechanics work. It's so much nicer to be able to just use them for raiding or other purposes without having vassal penalties for having troops called out.

fake edit:
in short I was asking how to Maximizing demesne levies...but I also just found the wiki with tips on that. :downs:

That said I think a lot of it is out of date, so any tips people have I'd love to hear them.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yeah thought so, actually I have no other family members since it's the very beginning, and it will work as primogeniture.

Later on I guess my kids will have to sort that poo poo out but eh, it's not always good to be the Grand Duke.

Now that over demesne limit malus ... should I be doing something about it, or just increase centralization a bit more?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TorakFade posted:

Switching out of gavelkind makes your demesne limit smaller, not larger.

Elective can get you screwed real easy so I usually prefer to endure Gavelkind until I can get late feudal administration and then Ultimo. Elective can be more attractive later when most of your vassals are dynasty members (so even if they screw you out of your preferred heir you'll probably just take over as whoever they elected rather than getting a game over or busted back to count) but even then it's not advisable unless you really know what you're doing.

e: A seniority game is an interesting way to play as a challenge game. You tend to change rulers about every 4 years, you always have to deal with short reign maluses and you're usually playing lovely characters.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Eric the Mauve posted:

Switching out of gavelkind makes your demesne limit smaller, not larger.

Elective can get you screwed real easy so I usually prefer to endure Gavelkind until I can get late feudal administration and then Ultimo. Elective can be more attractive later when most of your vassals are dynasty members (so even if they screw you out of your preferred heir you'll probably just take over as whoever they elected rather than getting a game over or busted back to count) but even then it's not advisable unless you really know what you're doing.

e: A seniority game is an interesting way to play as a challenge game. You tend to change rulers about every 4 years, you always have to deal with short reign maluses and you're usually playing lovely characters.

Yeah but with two sons gavelkind is gonna gently caress him. If he can't get to ultimo before his ruler dies I'd say seniority is the best option until ultimo or elective monarchy can be used or something.

As for the demesne, if it were me I'd try raising centralization if I can. Failing that I just give the titles to some dynasty member. I'm pretty casual with this game though and somebody else might know a more optimal course of action.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eric the Mauve posted:

You usually start with a small dynasty, so especially at the beginning of a game it tends to be an alright inheritance system. Especially compared to gavelkind.

gfanikf posted:

General question to everyone about troop levels, how do I increase my non vassal provided troops, the personal levies. I'm just trying to understand how the mechanics work. It's so much nicer to be able to just use them for raiding or other purposes without having vassal penalties for having troops called out.

fake edit:
in short I was asking how to Maximizing demesne levies...but I also just found the wiki with tips on that. :downs:

That said I think a lot of it is out of date, so any tips people have I'd love to hear them.

A higher marital stat gives you more levies from your castles. All castles in your capital county get +50% levies, and all castles in your capital duchy give +25% levies. So choose a big duchy with a province with many castles as your capital, then stab the other barons in your capital to inherit the castles. Then park your marshal there to train troops, all the castles in your capital will benefit from the levy bonus provided by your marshal.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

gfanikf posted:

fake edit:

The general idea is two have two duke titles, and as many of the counties in them as you can. If at that point you can have more holdings and you're under your personal limit, you can build more castles an keep them for yourself. It may take some scheming to get all of the counties in your de-jure ducal territory though.

You can also upgrade your holdings with new or upgraded buildings that increase levy size. Click on the county, click on the holding that you own, and just buy whatever building provides the troops you like. Feudal use gold, tribal buys buildings with prestige.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something I've never been quite clear on: does the AI know about special createable titles (like the "form the HRE" decision) as long term goals? I know they'll take the decisions if they meet the requirements already, but will they actively attempt to meet those requirements?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hi how do I primogeniture in a post enclave world? tia

err nevermind I think I see the problem, need to pick up late feudal admin. I already know the crown authority stuff is just lazy (lack of) ini editing on paradox's part. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Asproigerosis posted:

Hi how do I primogeniture in a post enclave world? tia

err nevermind I think I see the problem, need to pick up late feudal admin. I already know the crown authority stuff is just lazy (lack of) ini editing on paradox's part. Oops.

Remember to scroll down in the "realm" tab to find late feudal admin. But you're right, crown authority shouldn't appear in the tooltip.

• Locked thread