Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Fojar38 posted:

Any idea how well this game runs yet? I'll be playing with a GPU very slightly under the minimum requirements and have been anxious as to how that might look

I'm running it on a Dell XPS 13 which has integrated graphics and is therefore way under the GPU requirement. Everything on minimum. Looks like rear end, runs fairly smooth.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Link to my stupid goon character.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3k6nbnsg56mei3n/TG.bin?dl=0

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

YES ITS NOT A BUG ITS A FEATURE :unsmigghh:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Exhibit A: Explosives magnet

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They really like their statue.

As far as I can tell, Domination (and for mechanical enemies, hacking) are going to be SUCH force multipliers you'd be a fool to overlook them. Getting a Gatekeeper or an Andromedon on your side, or even just a turret will be too good to pass up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So, quick hint when using Slash: Do not just hit the hotkey, it will give you a pre-determined path that might not be all that good. You can instead initiate a slash entirely via the movement cursor: move the movement cursor to the tile adjacent to your target that you desire your dude to stand on, then move the cursor onto the enemy's tile. The picture on the movement cursor will now display Slash's icon. Congratulations you have initiated a player-controlled Slash.

Also, I have had two panics when a soldier would, in response to the enemy moving, relocate to actually good cover and then return fire. :stare: Oh, and if your dudes panic too much or take too much they get a temporary will drop that will apparently revert when they win a mission. Finally: there is now actually an animation for soldiers using medkits on themselves. No more spraying the location you were standing a moment ago. :v:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 4, 2016

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^ Although one time I was doing the move-slash click and clicking it kept bringing up the "fire gun UI", worked fine before and after, it was really weird.

Fun so far, although the AI is still doing silly stiff on Veteran - An advent trooper ran into a close range flanking position against a wounded troop I had, easy kill, but decided to overwatch instead of firing. On the plus side, Sectoids have been staying at range and using Mind spin before raise zombie.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 4, 2016

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Darkrenown posted:

Fun so far, although the AI is still doing silly stiff on Veteran - An advent trooper ran into a close range flanking position against a wounded troop I had, easy kill, but decided to overwatch instead of firing. On the plus side, Sectoids have been staying at range and using Mind spin before raise zombie.

I've seen advent troopers choose to overwatch over making the 'correct' move even on legendary.

I think the low ranking guys being dumb and poorly disciplined is intentional.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So VPN to unlock early on Steam... yes or no?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Alkydere posted:

So, quick hint when using Slash: Do not just hit the hotkey, it will give you a pre-determined path that might not be all that good. You can instead initiate a slash entirely via the movement cursor: move the movement cursor to the tile adjacent to your target that you desire your dude to stand on, then move the cursor onto the enemy's tile. The picture on the movement cursor will now display Slash's icon. Congratulations you have initiated a player-controlled Slash.

I really wish that slash let you take a step into the place where the now dead enemy is, instead of leaving you standing out in the open like a moron.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fuzz posted:

So VPN to unlock early on Steam... yes or no?

Do you think the dozens of people posting in this thread that are playing the game are all actual Australians?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Man, keep getting scientists as rewards, that's 3 now. Least I'll get mag weapons real drat quick.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

VDay posted:

Do you think the dozens of people posting in this thread that are playing the game are all actual Australians?

Ye-..Yes? Every goon I have ever known is a righteous, virtuous soul who would never do anything underhanded!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

VDay posted:

Alot do sound rude and all this talk about knifes seemed odd.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

just had a map where the enemy ai refused to do anything. it would just hang for like 20 seconds than precede back to my turn, even if there were a group of dudes on the screen.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thyrork posted:

Ye-..Yes? Every goon I have ever known is a righteous, virtuous soul who would never do anything underhanded!

Thyrork even has a Mad Max avatar! How could you doubt his Australianness?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I really wish that slash let you take a step into the place where the now dead enemy is, instead of leaving you standing out in the open like a moron.

Well you can't step into their place, but if there's cover by them you can certainly run into adjacent cover and slash from there. You can even slash from the other side of low cover. I pretty much always end my slashes in cover, although "always" is like 4 missions so far.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

VDay posted:

I am absolutely Australian. At least until 1am EST

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
To the guy who unlocked in five minutes? How? I have an SSD, defragmented it before I installed xcom2, it's still got like 30gb free on it too. 15-20 minutes later and it's about halfway through the decryption. I have a desktop with a fast cpu, too.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I think all the goon squaddie submissions that have posted so far should have their nationality changed to Australian to commemorate this event.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

quote:

This game will unlock in approximately 1 hour

PULL THE loving SWITCH SOLOMON

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Speedball posted:

Thyrork even has a Mad Max avatar! How could you doubt his Australianness?

:haw: You wot mate?!

Actually I'm going to do something that would get me lynched by all the* Americans, I'm actually not going to play at midnight EU. :ssh:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

redreader posted:

To the guy who unlocked in five minutes? How? I have an SSD, defragmented it before I installed xcom2, it's still got like 30gb free on it too. 15-20 minutes later and it's about halfway through the decryption. I have a desktop with a fast cpu, too.

All your megabits have to travel to Australia, mate.

Oh I guess not.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

grrarg posted:

I wouldn't worry about playing Ironman in your first game. I only saw one crash mentioned in the reviews I read, and it sounded like a fluke. Some of the reviewers thoroughly played the game before reviewing it, for once. The guy that wrote the Eurogamer review is a huge XCOM and Long War fan and played the game for 50+ hours before writing the review.

In beagle's second goddamn video he got a soldier stuck and unable to finish a turn, then reloaded and got a bonus turn for all his soldiers. TotalBiscuit has a 1 hour video that shows some weird glitches that turned out to be visual-only, but reported turn hangs and other stuff that impacted the game.

I have a definite feeling there will bugs that affect the game. Hopefully it'll be an improvement over Xcom 1's launch, but even in 1 the bugs were pretty infrequent (just enough to be infuriating when they happened). And I prey that they've learned enough since then that the unsolvable teleport bugs won't be a thing. But the addition of procedural levels adds a whole new layer of stuff that's way harder to playtest in QA.

Definitely don't play Ironman the first week unless you have a very sanguine temperament about game bugs. Get some willpower and play ironman the way we used to in the old days: with the knowledge that we could reload at any time but only at the cost of eternal shame.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

VDay posted:

What VPN are you guys using? I've never done this befopre and the YouTube vids all link to really sketchy looking Russian sites.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Its a clique, they talk poo poo about their fellow troopers there.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Klyith posted:

Definitely don't play Ironman the first week unless you have a very sanguine temperament about game bugs. Get some willpower and play ironman the way we used to in the old days: with the knowledge that we could reload at any time but only at the cost of eternal shame.

Yeah, You're up and insane if you dont think this is going to have some frustrating bugs somewhere. XCOM has too many moving parts not too.

Play "Legit" Ironman for you're second playthrough. Since the game's looking a hell of alot more lasting out of the box, its not like you're ruining anything. I'm going to be Bronzemanning* my first time.

*Inspired by Long War's Bronzeman Mode. Make a save at the start of every tactical engagement, you can load that save if its a squad wipe. Otherwise play it as it comes down.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum

PBS Newshour posted:

Its a clique, they talk poo poo about their fellow troopers there.

*checks deployment history*

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

fspades posted:

Are tutorial missions have anything interesting, story-wise?

jng2058 posted:

So yeah, how skippable is the tutorial? Is there any cool story in there that I should have, or can I just jump straight to Ironman and go?

It's definitely a mechanics tutorial that you won't need if you're even vaguely familiar with XCOM (and disappointingly asks you to make some really dumb movements out of cover), but it's kinda neat to play at least once.

While Gatecrasher is distracting ADVENT by blowing up the statue, you play Bradford and a bunch of rookies breaking in to the gene lab and rescuing the commander instead.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I'm in Kuwait currently, but game is still on the NA unlock schedule for some reason. Is that because my game is NA region or am I misunderstanding the way games unlock on steam?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 31, 2022

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

She has the perfect class.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Durinia, when you get a chance, shoot me an e-mail so we can coordinate how to share these characters? (I was thinking just something we can both edit for simplicity's sake, since with just two of us there's low risk of collision.)

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Honestly,all of the snake stuff has me disappointed that the Pectoids haven't gotten much love. Not even a vid like this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

My first EW game was Ironman Classic and I started on release day. I'm rolling the dice this time too and nobody can stop me :getin:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Just got home and got the VPN started. :toot:

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Wife got home, showed off the customization system and made her into a soldier. First mission a viper pulls her out of cover next to a burning car which explodes and kills her and 3 aliens before any soldier gets a turn. GOTY

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

threelemmings posted:

Wife got home, showed off the customization system and made her into a soldier. First mission a viper pulls her out of cover next to a burning car which explodes and kills her and 3 aliens before any soldier gets a turn. GOTY

:xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Whelp first death on a terror mission, apparently Faceless can transform, move, and attack on the same turn. And their attacks destroy the cover you are on, so if you are on a roof then expect the base damage + another four points of falling damage.