Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Strudel Man posted:

The thermodynamic issues isn't with the rate of baby production, it's with the fact that having a baby to then eat that baby represents a net loss in usable energy.

That's actually exactly what I meant, although I'll grant that 'fast' was perhaps the wrong term. In enough proportion. Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Not to suggest it makes things plausible or logical, but y'all did notice the cripple faction at the back of the train, right?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching Game of Thrones, first season. I am trying to wrap my head around Ned Stark's expectations for what the gently caress would happen once he confronted the Queen about her, you know, loving her brother and maiming his own son. So honorable man he is, he goes right to the bitch, says he knows her weakness, tells her to leave, and...that's it? Did he really expect someone as hosed up as her to just pack her bags without explanation and hide with her kids? She's the loving Queen, her being gone will make a lot of people panic. And no one will believe she just went into exile for shits and giggles. She has more to lose by doing what he said, and even knowing she's a bitch and has no problem hurting a child, he thinks his plan will work.

Along those lines, in Season 5 why did Littlefinger pass Sansa over to the Boltons? Sure she had a choice, but it seemed pretty off for him to just toss her to another family. Unless he was privately upset she didn't beg to marry him or something likely weird. It just seemed a little odd that he decided to play with the Boltons with his one key piece left.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I don't even get why there even needed to be an underclass present in the first place. Wilford implies the one thing the tail enders are good for is 'making kids'. But based on how everything else on the train is so tightly controlled I don't see why you couldn't have some kind of breeding program among the actually productive members of the train. The whole fabricate a revolution to cull down the population just seems inefficient.

How did the train cross oceans? I never got a good look at the map of its path, but it looked like this crazy squiggly mess across the planet. Why is it necessary for a trip around the world to take exactly one year?

Why would the Revolt of the Seven decide to pick the WORST possible place to try to escape, some high altitude steppes in asia? Why not do it somewhere closer to the equator, where the climate is more likely to be slightly less freezing?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Cowslips Warren posted:

Rewatching Game of Thrones, first season. I am trying to wrap my head around Ned Stark's expectations for what the gently caress would happen once he confronted the Queen about her, you know, loving her brother and maiming his own son. So honorable man he is, he goes right to the bitch, says he knows her weakness, tells her to leave, and...that's it? Did he really expect someone as hosed up as her to just pack her bags without explanation and hide with her kids? She's the loving Queen, her being gone will make a lot of people panic. And no one will believe she just went into exile for shits and giggles. She has more to lose by doing what he said, and even knowing she's a bitch and has no problem hurting a child, he thinks his plan will work.

The point is Ned is honourable, he expects the queen of near 20 years to be honourable, too. He is a man who walks into a situation hopelessly out-classed because he is around 20 years behind what is going on. I mean, he's (timelessly) honourable and the silly gently caress expects everyone to behave with his same values.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Part of why (are these really spoilers at this point) Ned and Rob both died is becuase they didn't know how to play the game of thrones for poo poo. They both gently caress it up left and right, and they get killed for it. That's a really important theme of ASOIAF as GRRM writes. Good people don't live just because they're good, you have to also have a head on your shoulders and fight for whats yours. Similarly though evil people don't necessarily triumph either, its all more a bunch of grey. But the Starks' were generally naive and they suffer for it.

You see a lot of the same thing in the prequel series about Dunk and Egg (Duncan and Aegon), where they're really good people but then Aegon grows up to be a king and even though he cares about the common folk, he doesn't know poo poo about statecraft. So his reign is fraught with conflict and he slowly loses his mind.

All Ned was thinking was better make sure her kids don't get hurt. Because he's a nice guy. But he's naive because he didn't even imagine the real way the Queen would respond. He just assumed she'd do what he would do in that situation and roll over. She was caught, you see.

Say what you will about Tywin being an rear end in a top hat, I respected him because he loving got it. He saw the game of thrones for what it was and he played to win.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Feb 4, 2016

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Tywin died on the throne :black101:

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Tywin was the coldest motherfucker. Charles Dance loving killed it too. The scenes with him and Arya at Harrenhal were my favourite.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ned Stark is a good man that likes to believe people, even horrible people who do bad things, are at their core good.

He was wrong.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Cowslips Warren posted:

Along those lines, in Season 5 why did Littlefinger pass Sansa over to the Boltons? Sure she had a choice, but it seemed pretty off for him to just toss her to another family. Unless he was privately upset she didn't beg to marry him or something likely weird. It just seemed a little odd that he decided to play with the Boltons with his one key piece left.

The second question you had the answer is the show writers took the source material and threw it in the dumpster and made up the previous season out of whole cloth. Nobody knows anything, characterization is meaningless, and there is nobody who can answer your question now. He did that because they completely cut out a character from the books, and since they threw out everything cool littlefinger was doing, and sansa therefore wouldn't be doing anything anyway, combined those characters. There's no rhyme or reason. There's no logical consistency. It's not an irrational movie moment when it's just absolute nonsense thrown at the wall sprinkled with titties and busywork.

It's like one of those surgeries where a big toe can be made to replace a penis or rear end skin can cover a huge burn on your face? But done by back alley doctors who saw a youtube about suturing one time. It's a huge mess!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Krinkle posted:

It's like one of those surgeries where a big toe can be made to replace a penis

Taking Tarantino's foot fetish to a whole new level.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

speshl guy posted:

I get the criticism levied against World War Z but overall I thought it was an intense and enjoyable ride. What took me right out of it though was that it was established late in the movie that the zombies have a sense of smell sensitive enough to detect fatal viruses and diseases in the human body, and they subsequently avoid those afflicted, yet on a plane a whole horde of zombies are totally oblivious to dozens of healthy, perspiring passengers quietly hiding behind a curtain (at least until some idiot drops a bag).

The movie ends up making complete sense if you look at Brad Pitt's character as the harbinger of Death.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Krinkle posted:

The second question you had the answer is the show writers took the source material and threw it in the dumpster and made up the previous season out of whole cloth. Nobody knows anything, characterization is meaningless, and there is nobody who can answer your question now. He did that because they completely cut out a character from the books, and since they threw out everything cool littlefinger was doing, and sansa therefore wouldn't be doing anything anyway, combined those characters. There's no rhyme or reason. There's no logical consistency. It's not an irrational movie moment when it's just absolute nonsense thrown at the wall sprinkled with titties and busywork.

It's like one of those surgeries where a big toe can be made to replace a penis or rear end skin can cover a huge burn on your face? But done by back alley doctors who saw a youtube about suturing one time. It's a huge mess!

Man, the next eight weeks can't go fast enough. The level at which the showrunners are going to have to make up ridiculous bullshit to keep the show going is going to be entertaining as hell.

I expect a serious drop-off in the consistency of the plot this season, but the level of entertainment to be either stable or increase.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Memento posted:

Man, the next eight weeks can't go fast enough. The level at which the showrunners are going to have to make up ridiculous bullshit to keep the show going is going to be entertaining as hell.

I expect a serious drop-off in the consistency of the plot this season, but the level of entertainment to be either stable or increase.

The last season was like a group of people hurredly explaining the entire book in 30 seconds and cutting out everything interesting to just say where everyone ends up by the end of it. Extrapolating this, the next season is going to be like D&D spoiling the end of the book series, and it'll be true, but it'll make about as much sense as reading the hobbit and then being told gollum bites off frodo's finger and falls into the cracks of mount doom then everyone flies home on a giant eagle. Except the excited to spoil the next book for you plot-as-the-crow-flies explainer tosses in extra rape and child murder to keep you interested.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Feb 5, 2016

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Huh, more hate towards tarantino. Apparently that scene in Hateful 8 where Kurt Russell smashes the guitar? That was a real 1860's guitar antique that was loaned to the movie from a museum.

The kicker? They had several replica guitars made to smash instead, but quentin wanted "Authenticity".

:cripes:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Snowpiercer is a metaphor for capitalism, as an out-of-control train that literally feeds on the underclasses while the upper classes live a life of decadent idleness and just keeps getting worse and worse until it finally derails. It's not supposed to be a realistic hard sci-fi story.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sleeveless posted:

Snowpiercer is a metaphor for capitalism, as an out-of-control train that literally feeds on the underclasses while the upper classes live a life of decadent idleness and just keeps getting worse and worse until it finally derails. It's not supposed to be a realistic hard sci-fi story.

Of course, but goons are incapable of parsing metaphor.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Snowpiercer has all kinds of problems if taken literally, but I thought it was pretty obvious that it was written by design as an allegory? Or am I giving the writers too much credit here?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

HairyManling posted:

Snowpiercer has all kinds of problems if taken literally, but I thought it was pretty obvious that it was written by design as an allegory? Or am I giving the writers too much credit here?

No it is really, almost insultingly, on the nose

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
In Brazil, those phones are really lovely. Isn't this supposed to be the future? And what's with the big pipes everywhere?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Not really irrational, but I can't help but watch The Rock whenever its on, and it always bugs me when the guy is looking at a computer screen and all the letters and numbers on his screen are projected perfectly on his face. Thats not how monitors work!

edit: I also find it funny that HBO:GO is advertising Predators using a cool shot that doesn't happen in the movie at all.

Cage has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Feb 5, 2016

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Cage posted:

Not really irrational, but I can't help but watch The Rock whenever its on, and it always bugs me when the guy is looking at a computer screen and all the letters and numbers on his screen are projected perfectly on his face. Thats not how monitors work!

edit: I also find it funny that HBO:GO is advertising Predators using a cool shot that doesn't happen in the movie at all.

I don't think that's just HBO:GO. I'm pretty sure that's a shot from the original trailer.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Murphys Law posted:

I don't think that's just HBO:GO. I'm pretty sure that's a shot from the original trailer.
It is, I just think its funny that 5 years later they're still using it. Anyone that really cares about Predators still knows that scene isn't in the movie.

edit: Didnt mean to word it like HBO was the first to do that.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My current IIMM is the fact that there's no Dredd sequel :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Biplane posted:

But there is a prequel :)

I AM THE LAWWWW

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Biplane posted:

There's three official comic sequels in the movie Dredd continuity now. Also they're trying to get someone to pick it up for TV.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

At first I thought Dredd was just a worse knockoff of The Raid, but its grown on me since. I like the sci-fi setting they've got, although it doesn't show as much of the whole megacity thing as the previous Judge Dredd film did, for all its flaws.

Seriously The Raid is so good.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Murphys Law posted:

That's one of my irrationally irritating movie things, when the trailer has a memorable shot/scene that's not in the final movie. Biggest one recently for me was the shot of the rocket going up into the sky in the teaser trailer for Interstellar.

Another Nolan movie, this TV spot for Dark Knight uses a very slightly different take for Joker's line "Very poor choice of words" that I like a lot better than the one in the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr9jnE8o5RI

And to get a bit more irrational, this shot from the Fury Road trailer wasn't in the movie either:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It bugs the hell out of me that David Spade's character in Tommy Boy orders a shrimp cocktail from a glass case in a roadside diner in the middle of the midwest that's so slow it shuts its friers off in the middle of the day and so understaffed that the waitress also cooks wings, and it wasn't used as the setup for a food poisoning scene.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

In Brazil, those phones are really lovely. Isn't this supposed to be the future? And what's with the big pipes everywhere?

They're ducts

It's an aesthetic meant to convey how lovely everything would be under total state planning and control. I think Gilliam felt this way after living in England for so long. It's also meant to reflect the central planning in 1984 and the USSR.

DeNiro's distinctly American character comes in to cut through the bloody paperwork, which eventually engulfs Sam, and fixes his ducts with a work-around.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

syscall girl posted:

They're ducts

It's an aesthetic meant to convey how lovely everything would be under total state planning and control. I think Gilliam felt this way after living in England for so long. It's also meant to reflect the central planning in 1984 and the USSR.

DeNiro's distinctly American character comes in to cut through the bloody paperwork, which eventually engulfs Sam, and fixes his ducts with a work-around.

I was mocking the complaints about Snowpiercer. But thanks for reminding me that I need to watch Brazil again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Huh, more hate towards tarantino. Apparently that scene in Hateful 8 where Kurt Russell smashes the guitar? That was a real 1860's guitar antique that was loaned to the movie from a museum.

The kicker? They had several replica guitars made to smash instead, but quentin wanted "Authenticity".

:cripes:

Seriously?

Why even use a priceless ~150-year-old guitar for a goddamn movie?

I loved the movie, but Tarantino is one hell of an rear end in a top hat sometimes. Imagine if someone had found a perfectly preserved copy of the full cut of Metropolis and just set it on fire for the sake of a scene in a movie. He would have been absolutely livid and probably gone on some kind of rage-fueled murder spree. But nooo, it's perfectly fine to smash an old instrument, because "it's just a guitar".

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Feb 5, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

I was mocking the complaints about Snowpiercer. But thanks for reminding me that I need to watch Brazil again.

My first post of the day is inevitably daft. :doh:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

syscall girl posted:

My first post of the day is inevitably daft. :doh:

Don't feel bad, the thing with De Niro's accent escaped me on prior viewings so I'll have something to keep an ear open for on my next one.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really want to like Breakfast at Tiffanys but hooooooooly poo poo is it hard to get past Mickey Rooney in yellow face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC5RtcypOqE

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

KozmoNaut posted:

Seriously?

Why even use a priceless ~150-year-old guitar for a goddamn movie?

I loved the movie, but Tarantino is one hell of an rear end in a top hat sometimes. Imagine if someone had found a perfectly preserved copy of the full cut of Metropolis and just set it on fire for the sake of a scene in a movie. He would have been absolutely livid and probably gone on some kind of rage-fueled murder spree. But nooo, it's perfectly fine to smash an old instrument, because "it's just a guitar".

I thought it was that they didn't know it was the real deal until after the fact and then Tarantino loved that cut so much he used it?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

syscall girl posted:

In his autobiography there's a brief mention of how it's also a matter of aesthetics, existing buildings versus new infrastructure, and how he kept seeing old buildings

quote:

in London, where people were just smashing through all the ornate cornice work to put plumbing pipes on the outside.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I really want to like Breakfast at Tiffanys but hooooooooly poo poo is it hard to get past Mickey Rooney in yellow face

Could be worse, that was in '61.

Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights was in 2002 and features the worst Rob Schneider yellowface imaginable. Uggggggh.

Luckily there's nothing redeeming about that film so there's no reason to watch it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Your Gay Uncle posted:

He deserved that elder abuse.

Zaphod42 posted:

Could be worse, that was in '61.

Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights was in 2002 and features the worst Rob Schneider yellowface imaginable. Uggggggh.

Luckily there's nothing redeeming about that film so there's no reason to watch it.

You mean I now pronounce you chuck and larry right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Krinkle posted:

You mean I now pronounce you chuck and larry right?

No, but I forgot he did literal yellowface in that movie too.

Rob Schneider is a crime against humanity.